• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Digitized music from Dean Fagerstrom

Free episodes:

David Biedny

Paranormal Adept
Folks,

Phil Imbrogno has graciously given us permission to post the music that Dean Fagerstrom reportedly channeled. It was recorded in 1992-1993.

HERE IT IS.

It's supposed to be Dean playing unknown music from Franz Liszt. I'm not going to make any kind of comment regarding the veracity of these claims. I'll also warn you that the cassette tape that this music was digitized from was fairly old, and apparently, Dean had the volume level on his cassette recorder set far too high, creating clipping distortion throughout much of the recording. I've run everything through some EQ, limiting and some other noise reduction plugins, but the sonic quality is funky. We'd love to hear from anyone who is familiar with Liszt's music, what do you think? Is this Liszt?

dB

It is beautiful music ,it definately is real classical music but who is the composer. i have heard classical in my time so i would love to find out. sometimes the beat is a little off and the change kind of heads towards a different direction in the rthym. i think a real composer would notice want i am talking about. it is putting me to sleep. anyway i hope someone on the forums can tell us if is liszt or not.

Downloading it now, will look into transcribing it to notation to get a better look at it. The file is a 50meg mp3 so may be a very large piece.

I listened to about 3 minutes of it before I had to turn it off. I've no idea whether its good music or basd music, performed by a normal guy or something paranormal. But for some reason it freaked me out.... its definately not the sort of thing i would choose to listen to

I am too big a chicken and I get spooked too easily to listen to music that may possibly come from alien-channeled dead men (just hearing David's story about that weird carnival music that played during a phone conversation with a woman in New York creeped the bejebus out of me), and Hoffmeister's saying the tape freaked him out so bad that he had to turn it off sealed the deal. So I can't tell you. But here is a link where anyone who wishes can download all kinds of free Mp3s of the living Liszt's music (I mean living when he wrote it, he's been dead for about 130 years), played by regular non-channeling musicians, to do your own comparison; I am listening to one now, it's lovely:

The Franz Liszt Mp3 Page -- Classic Cat

After a min listening to the first section, this sought of style seems to be a imporv that keeps going on and on and on and on, same theme same notes, My seven year old daughter could improv this. My first 30 sec toughts on this is, thecnically its not that great. It's a bit of a worry if a alien is channeling this, it would seem the human mind would have progressed more musically.

I just listened to the podcast on my way home tonight and was looking forward to hearing this. Thanks for making it available, David. After reading some of the reactions, I REALLY want to hear it now! :eek:

After a min listening to the first section, this sought of style seems to be a imporv that keeps going on and on and on and on, same theme same notes, My seven year old daughter could improv this. My first 30 sec toughts on this is, thecnically its not that great. It's a bit of a worry if a alien is channeling this, it would seem the human mind would have progressed more musically.

Hmmmm, very interesting observation, qqqq.... perhaps it explains the question posed by Paul Kimball: "Where is the Alien Bach?" :)

Hmmmm, very interesting observation, qqqq.... perhaps it explains the question posed by Paul Kimball: "Where is the Alien Bach?" :)

Yea Interesting. Even with dean piece's here, there is emotion and feeling and movement within the emotion. It's music in every sense, which is a problem for me, It feels the like a sound track to having a midnight snack of peanut butter sandwich's. Ahhh I've woken up , I'm hungry. Shell I get up and have a sandwhich, nooooo, oh yes, quietly , oh now sneakly not to wake any one, open the draw, A KNIFE. It sparkle's so nice in the moon light. Now the bread... and so on and so on. What are these pesk'y aliens trying to do to us, I'm on a diet. Ah there's no point with this, sounds like the peice could be condensed down to a few bars.

I just listened to it all and found nother spooky ir weird about the listening experience for all you chickens out there.

That's pretty cool for not having any formal training in the piano and then just sit down and play this. There had to have been some force at work here. Interesting case.

Thanks David for the intersest and time to digitize this also.

That's pretty cool for not having any formal training in the piano and then just sit down and play this. There had to have been some force at work here. Interesting case.
Ha , how hard is it to draw a triangle then a square then a circle. Put it this way, I could give you one note which you could pretty much pluck away on the bass guitar and it would fit in with the 30 minute piece, all you would have to do is follow the expression. This sought of stuff just gets me a bit worked up, I've got a guy at work at the moment who, just can't stop going on about rods, He's set up a camera the record's the outside of his house and now he's got a whole lot of footage of moths flying around outside and he's about to bring in all the footage hours of it. Oh boy. The guy is incredibly skillful in his job but last time it was zoomed in airplanes that were ufo's, some people just have a mental problem with this sought of stuff and take things a bit too far , I think Dean is creative and has created too much.

Ha , how hard is it to draw a triangle then a square then a circle. Put it this way, I could give you one note which you could pretty much pluck away on the bass guitar and it would fit in with the 30 minute piece, all you would have to do is follow the expression.

Does that mean you aren't that impressed ? Are you saying anyone could play this?

Does that mean you aren't that impressed ? Are you saying anyone could play this?
Yea not really, I guess a good way would be to print out a spectra graph of the frequency of the recording, in which notes are a frequency and you would be able to clearly see how little deviation there is on what he is playing. If there is alien intervention going on I would say to everybody listen for the emotion or feeling and then make up your own mind.

I love the dark beginning, there are some obvious timing hiccups but very minor ( pun intended ). You did a nice job David considering what you were handed.

There must be someone at Julliard that is into paranormal mysteries who can lend a fresh ear to this.

~A

Hmmm...needs more cowbell...it is a lovely improv, but as far as channeling aliens goes, I'd pick Hendrix as a more convincing candidate.

My gut feeling is that this is a hoax.

sorry folks but the scenario is this guy who cant read music has a piano in his house paid for by an alien induced lottery win...........

if i had to put money on it id say the guy is a classically trained pianist who could never quite put the polish on his art required for real stage performance.
this is on a grand piano yes ?

even if it were true it tells us nothing.

just my gut feeling, im no expert, its just the scenario that seems most likely to me

My gut feeling is that this is a hoax.

sorry folks but the scenario is this guy who cant read music has a piano in his house paid for by an alien induced lottery win...........

if i had to put money on it id say the guy is a classically trained pianist who could never quite put the polish on his art required for real stage performance.
this is on a grand piano yes ?

even if it were true it tells us nothing.

just my gut feeling, im no expert, its just the scenario that seems most likely to me

I have that feeling too that it is a hoax. The music could be Prerecorded from all different sources of classical. However it is all a guessing game, we have no answers. A real expert on this stuff is what is needed,just sent it to a expert on litz anyone, that is the best way i believe.

A bit vampish for Liszt - highly repetative in parts.

The trouble is compositions like this can be made quite too easily - although it seems quite colourful in parts (the use of trills). I am sure my grandmother use to play something similar - and there was a lot of music like this out there during the old silent movies, and Fantasia's like this were played all the time - but it still is difficult to track down these either original both recorded and on manuscript - most of this music has been ditched and lost - and this sounded a lot like Ezra Read (I bet nobody else knows her.)

I think it might be good to get this converted into manuscript once you find the key and bar form it should be easy to map to existing stuff - did somebody said they were doing this -- gggg ?

But points all round for being brave enough to submit for closer scrutiny. Bravo!!

Back