• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Dance, Monkey, Dance

David Biedny

Paranormal Adept
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rN7lWMSHJGY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rN7lWMSHJGY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pure Goodness.

dB

I think humans are at the top of the hierarchy (as far as I know) on this planet, but that doesn't meet jack shit in terms of the universe we don't know anything about. So while I don't think we are quite at the level of normal monkeys intellectually (eating our own poo and throwing it for fun), I think it's safe to say based on our massive shortcomings as a species that we are the equivalent of Monkey 2.0, more powerful, intelligent, with greater processing speed and potential but not necessarily more ethical, they upgraded everything except for ethics and tree climbing ability in Monkey 2.0. Hopefully we evolve into Monkey 3.0 with enhanced ethics capabilities!

The music sounds really familiar, isn't that from Napolean Dynamite?

I'm not sure where the phrase Dance Monkey Dance came from, but I started saying it a lot after hearing some other dude say it last year and now my wife thinks it's the funniest thing, which is good because it just feels good to say it, "Dance monkey dance!".

Great stuff. Only watched part, will watch the rest after spewing my thought I already have. I can tell where the vid is going:)

Only slight prob so far is, the use of making us out to be monkeys. I think it would be more accurate to use the words of Howard the Duck, we're hairless monkeys. Well, I have a lot of hair, but it's more accurate I think. Monkeys have more integrity than many (not necessarily all) humans. I get a little ill, when people try and down play humans, by calling us something that isn't inferior, at least in terms of spirit. Just as Carlin says, "Chickens are decent people too". I think we need to call bad animals, human. Or, George Bush. Not the typical dipshit human, a decent animal.

Let it get going, he talks about us being apes. And jews. I'm not a jew, but I don't think it's actually insulting to jews. At least any possible insult, is made up for by contrasting them with other religions and how Jews aren't as annoying. I'm posting this for the APE part, more so than the jew.

Omg. Wish I could give multiple thanks for the vid David posted. Oh yea, I can. Thanks. ThanksThanksThanksThanksThanksThanksThanksThanksThanksThanks

I'd give more, but it might lead to a side scroll. ew.

Much of the ideas expressed are ones that have been with me for many years now, but I hear NO ONE else say. I feel less alone.

Our nature is animal, yes, but that is not the truth of what it means to be human. Being human means pursuing dignity.

Dignity, or vanity?

Good point. Perhaps we are compelled to seek dignity by vanity & shame. Whatever you want to call it, we have a need to feel good about ourselves that other animals don't seem to have.

Interesting how the video seems to argue for humility -- "we're just monkeys" -- but also lamets that we haven't reached our "full potential". We can only do that by acting like humans, not monkeys.

Sorry to ramble here, but let's remember that human's aren't specially inclined to violence. Plenty of other primates engage in murder, rape etc.

Sorry to ramble here, but let's remember that human's aren't specially inclined to violence. Plenty of other primates engage in murder, rape etc.

Really? Murder? Killing without it having to do with sheer survival, killing for the thrill, the power of taking a life? The sense of control over someone's destiny? Please cite an example.

And I have to respectfully, strongly disagree with the notion that humans are not "inclined to violence". As as an example, I would point out...

ALL OF HUMAN HISTORY.

dB

Good point. Perhaps we are compelled to seek dignity by vanity & shame. Whatever you want to call it, we have a need to feel good about ourselves that other animals don't seem to have.

Interesting how the video seems to argue for humility -- "we're just monkeys" -- but also lamets that we haven't reached our "full potential". We can only do that by acting like humans, not monkeys.

Outerjoin your a gase man!...Humans are not inclined to violence? maybe you meant to say Humans are prone to violence. Dont worry about it dude everybody, gets brain farts every now and again!

Anyway we are all monkeys according to Darwin lol....

Interesting stuff -

Thought I'd come down from my tree for a bit.

Just want to tell you someone's taking off with all the banana's!!!.

I went to this outfit - quite reliable - beating it's chest a couple of months ago - now I'm just left with a few leaves.

http://www.icesave.co.uk/

Would like to do some more acrobats on this subjects - but got some flea's to pick.

Really? Murder? Killing without it having to do with sheer survival, killing for the thrill, the power of taking a life? The sense of control over someone's destiny? Please cite an example

dB

The Brown Daily Herald

Why do Chimpanzees Murder? by Kathryn Esplin alpha male, langur, infanticide | Gather

Chimp Attack

Stressed female chimps kill rivals' young - 14 May 2007 - New Scientist

Chimps Kill Tour Driver - New York Times

My theory is that humans were created by aliens who flew in here in their really cool machines, fused chimpanzee DNA with lemming DNA, and then took a really long vacation...(you know how Union Labor works...)

Yup, many animals kill for reasons other than to eat. However, there's no laws in their culture. We have major consequences, yet we still do it. Well, some humans do. Most humans don't kill other humans. A large reason is because of laws. Other reasons are due to, morals, ethics, and conscience which we pride ourselves on, and many of us believe other species don't have these attributes. If so, the other species are doing remarkably well, for not having ethics etc. and we, are doing poorly.

strongly disagree with the notion that humans are not "inclined to violence".

Sorry, poorly worded. I meant humans aren't special with regard to violence, as skunkape helpfully points out in detail.

However humans alone should "know better", so in this regard we are not "just monkeys."

Fear of repercussion, namely being shot dead or jailed, is the only thing that stops me from picking up a hefty stone and bashing the, apparently malfunctioning, brains out of a few of my fellow troop members...some of whom, many of us would agree, are long overdue for such a treatment(Note to Homeland Security: I am speaking in metaphor...I do not condone unnecessary physical violence against any form of Primate).

Back