• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Credible vs. Clown list needed

Thanks for posting that.

Interesting that Rich decided to post it on his site too - High Strangeness

I wonder if he has seen the discussion here at the Paracast. Would be great if he could participate.

lol

Check out this comment from Ted Roe in the comments:

Hi Richard,
I respect your work and attention to detail and encourage you to take every step necessary to hold Webre and Exopolitics accountable for abusing your research and image for their agenda. I had a similar problem recently with Mr. Basset at the XConference claiming that our work confirms the presence of extraterrestrials . Of course our research at NARCAP does no such thing.
If we want to be credible we have to distinguish ourselves from those who would use our reputations to somehow legitimize their own claims. Exopolitics has some core beliefs that are simply not something that any crediblie researcher would want anything to do with.

What distinguishes you as a researcher is that you check your facts and follow the rules of journalism regarding your sources. You are not caught up in the promotion of speculation and rumor as Webre and Exopolitics most certainly are. That is the difference between credibility and notoriety.
You work hard to be credible, as do I, and its is very disheatening to have your words and reputation forcibly entwined to support a third party agenda. Especially one that is contradictory to your actual conclusions based on your own research. I have worked hard to keep NARCAP in the conservative position and to have Exopolitics/XConference claim in public that our work confirms their claims about aliens and the rest of it is more than offensive..

So good for you for holding your credibility up.. one wonders why Webre and co are so quick to throw their own credibility away.

Ted Roe
Executive Director
NARCAP.org

Seems he has had his own run ins with the Webre exo-pol clan.

Implying no human is perfect?

You mustnt have heard of <strike>Jessica Biel</strike>. First ever perfect human, and is in the Guinness record book for that achievement.

edit, Ive made a terrible mistake. I meant Scarlett Johannson...

scarlett_johansson.jpg

People can be momentarily perfect. Give Scarlett several decades, she'll look like crap. If not then, when she's a corpse. Unless you're really sick. Anyway, think you've found the perfect human? Give them time, they'll piss you off.

That's a good idea too!

Also - back to the idea of a reading list, is that something that deserves its own list, separate from the credible/clown list?

Googeling every name on the credible list and picking out their best work could be quite a task in itself. Not to mention the fact that there are some texts that while credible, won't make much sense if the reader hasn't read some earlier, more fundamental texts.

Sorry for my obvious noobness in this subject. I've always had an interest and I really want to start researching it more seriously, just for my own enjoyment. The problem is that the UFO field is so intimidatingly large and filled with pitt falls, that I need to try and separate the 'signal from noise' as best I can, lest I waste time with books and authors that have already been discredited.

Sorry for going slightly off topic on my own topic, but are there any noted writers that have taken a strictly sociological view of the UFO phenomenon? By that I mean a writer that has explored the UFO phenomenon, not in terms of evidence, but in terms of the way it affects societal paradigms and how we perceive it at a societal level?

If you want to look at UFOs strictly from a sociological viewpoint, you may also look at academic papers, e.g. read 403 Forbidden (3rd group)

There are "listmania" lists of UFO books at Amazon. A decent list of UFO books I just happened to come across is at Invisible Undergrad Electives Yet Another UFO Blog

If you're looking for credible researchers, there is a large number of people with a genuine interest in UFOs (often sparked by a sighting in an early age), but since this is a "birds of feather flock together" type of situation, I guess each one of us would have a different list.

I'd generally agree with Paul Kimball's first section of credible people in the UFO field, with the exception of --let me put my asbestos suit on-- Carl Sagan.

But, as Paul noted himself, his list is missing many researchers (e.g. Richard Haines work with pilot sightings, many conscientious investigators like astronomer Allan Hendy of CUFOS, Prof James Harder, Mark Cashman etc to name a few who contributed to the field for 10+ YEARS) and of course researchers from Australia and Europe.

As I write in my UFO summary page "A number of people have been involved in the UFO scene over the decades and the quality of their research isn't necessarily proportional to the Media coverage of their views."

Sorry for the Off-topic (but can't seem to find a "suggestions" thread)...

I wonder if it would be possible to upload each week's podcast earlier, e.g. on Saturdays, rather than late Sundays as it seems to be the case currently (which means that people from Australia, Asia and Europe will get it on Monday).

I think many people have more free time over the weekend, rather than during workdays.

Sorry for the Off-topic (but can't seem to find a "suggestions" thread)...

I wonder if it would be possible to upload each week's podcast earlier, e.g. on Saturdays, rather than late Sundays as it seems to be the case currently (which means that people from Australia, Asia and Europe will get it on Monday).

I think many people have more free time over the weekend, rather than during workdays.

You're supposed to listen to the Paracast at work, makes it more interesting. Work that is.

Sunday is a great day to have it. Some people went to church earlier, and need a bit of sense.

You Aussies need to move. Hell, I'll trade places with ya. I hate my country.

May I add Richard Dolan to the creditable list and Boyd Bushman to the clowns?

Lemmy

Bushman is in my grey basket.

I know his Paracast appearance was questionable, but I feel he needs at least another interview before declaring him a clown.

Clown: Dr Fred Bell.

Listen to UFOnaut radio's interview with him...utter nonsense spiced with a bit of Plagarian contact.

For Christ sakes guys, let Dolan explain for himself what the hell is going on. I'll admit, I haven't read the entirety of this thread with all accompanying links, but when Dolan has been on he has furthered the discussion on the topic in a meaningful way. Whatever may be going on in this high strangeness field is anyones guess.

I know that some of you have had things so strange that have happened (or seemed to happen) that you won't even talk about it. We should get him back on the show and discuss these things with him. He has always appreciated the types of questions that Dave and Gene ask him. He answers honestly. And for Gods sake, something really strange might be going on. Don't flush him down the toilet without a conversation at least. I would just rather hear from him what his reasoning is.

And also just to add to the list, has anyone mentioned Dr Richard Haines as a credible one??

And also just to add to the list, has anyone mentioned Dr Richard Haines as a credible one??

I did in my post above, and have to of course include Robert Hastings (UFOs and Nukes), Ted Phillips and many others.

I also try to see the best in people, e.g. James McCampbell, who was MUFON's Science Director for many years. My current opinion is that he was quite wrong in many of his interpretation of UFO data (e.g. as outlined in his 1976 book). But I respect him as a honest person with a genuine interest who put a lot of effort into the field. Similarly with the Lorenzens, Keyhoe, Olavo Fontes (Brazil), Gordon Creighton (UK), Aime Michel (France), Leonard Cramp, Ivan Sanderson etc.

A few people in the UFO field concentrate exclusively in investigations and stay out of the public eye, many others are mostly active in "getting the word out" (advocacy, promotion or whatever you want to call it) and some do seminars and sell books to fund their research.

As long as there are no grants or deep pocket individuals to fund UFO research, much of the research has become "free market"-driven, giving the public what the public wants ...

What about:

David M. Jacobs
the late John Mack
Budd Hopkins
Derrel W. Sims
Bill Chalker
Frank Feschino
the late Bob Pratt
Philip J. Imbrogno
the late Karla Turner
the late Phil Schneider

(not sure about the credibility of the last two...opinions?)

I'm not sure about most of these, but I thought Budd Hopkins of Paracast endorsement fame came across as pretty darned credible. I was a little surprised at Paul's negative assessment of him.

Derrel Sims -- what I've heard of him doesn't sound credible to me.

Frank Feschino -- it's an interesting story and he has done the research. Like Joseph Farrell, I would put him in the "more credible" area of my gray basket.

I am not familiar enough with the others to comment.

Derrel Sims -- what I've heard of him doesn't sound credible to me.
I've met him personally a couple of times. I don't buy the whole "Grays are doing all of this" scenario. Some of his research is interesting, assuming it's legitimate. It's just that I am a generally paranoid person, not without good reason, mind you. Let's just say he pretty much lost me when he got to the "former CIA" point.

The ultimate Reptilian plan, the field theory states, is replacement of up to 94% of existing humans, through “total consumption” of parts – human physical bodies and fluids like blood as well as human emotional bodies.

ROFL... wasn't the V tv series based on something like this. Does not compute :rolleyes:

Interesting you put Marrs in the non-credible list.

Im still not sure where to put that guy. He occasionally seems really smart and grounded, and other times he will come across nutty.

So who knows.

Also, Art Bell too. I thought he was considered to be actually a decent player? (compared to Noory anyway).
Marrs is like Clifford Stone. A nice guy with a very creative mind and who probably believes 90% of their own bullshit. But, as an old football coach once told me, "you can deep fry it, gold plate it or sprinkle it with glitter but bullshit will always just be bullshit".

If Dolan decides that he believes in channeled material, that makes little difference to me as long as it doesn't show up as an information source in his historical work.

If Carl Sagan said that he thought that reincarnation was worthy of scientific scrutiny (he did) does that negate his scientific work and cheerleading? If George Everett Hale said that "elves" came to him at night and gave him clues about how to design the 200 inch reflecting telescope mirror on Palomar (he did) does that make the achievement less worthy?

The point is that I give people some leeway in their belief systems as long as they 1) Don't try to shove the beliefs down my throat and 2) The work that they are known for stands up to critical scrutiny on its own merits. If Rich Dolan writes a book on channeled material, would that cast doubt on his earlier books? I don't believe so. People can compartmentalize their interests. It's happened before.

Although I don't always trust the popular media to tell the whole story, here's an article I read on Sims about a month after I met him in Roswell. I remember him as rude and paranoid, and he had an advisor with him when we talked to make sure that he didn't talk about things that he shouldn't. Something to do with non-disclosure about a project they were working on. It all seemed very silly.

My namesake is a good example - inital work good to very good but turned sour and extreme in the late 1990's/early 2000.

I don't think she's that bad these days. I don't agree with everything she says, but she seems sincere enough. She does seem to ask leading questions in her interviews, however.

Do you think she's too much of a believer?

I still enjoy reading some of the stuff on her website.

I'm not sure about most of these, but I thought Budd Hopkins of Paracast endorsement fame came across as pretty darned credible. I was a little surprised at Paul's negative assessment of him.

Budd Hopkins comes off as very genuine and credible. However, we have to treat hypnosis with a huge degree of scepticism. It is wildly subjective. Say a researcher is a qualified hypnotist who tries not to influence their subjects in any way during the hypnosis. say their subject has seen a UFO and then has a period of missing time. Now, pretty much everyone knows the archetypal tale of the abduction. They go to a UFO researcher to be hypnotised in the first place to retrieve these "memories". Before they even step into his or her office their head is swimming with all these things, and thus the hypnotism is tainted from the get go.

I'm not saying its all BS, far from it. I prefer to look at unfiltered memories personally . The UFO phenonema is subjective enough as it is (read subjective as strange if you like). Hypnosis adds a whole other level on top of this which can confuse matters immensely IMO

If George Everett Hale said that "elves" came to him at night and gave him clues about how to design the 200 inch reflecting telescope mirror on Palomar (he did) does that make the achievement less worthy?

I agree, and maybe that was his real experience. It certainly wouldn't be the first time in human history that information was given by some non human entity.

Even in dreams, such as with Einstein having the dream about riding on a particle of light.

Human history is rife with these types of stories. I'm beginning to take all of it all very literally lately. People have told stories throughout the ages, and we are taught that these stories are not literal... but what if they are?

I'm new here... just having found both the podcast and then the forum (but not new to podcasts or forums ;) ). I'm also not new to the paranormal. We have been on intimate terms since I was a young child. Same thing with my older brother and several close childhood friends. The list of odd things includes ghost cats, poltergeist activity, being hit by pebbles from the sky while on a rooftop, a UFO landing and small dark creatures with big green eyes that left foot prints in the mud, streetlights going out, always seeing patterns on clocks (like 11:11) and one of the earliest, being "saved" from possible death by a fallen branch of a large tree when I was about 7. Most of these events included at least one other person., and in the case of the UFO and creatures, about 9 people on three separate occasions.

I've had strange experiences since I was a very young child. I know these things happened, but of course adults would say you had a bad dream, (like the glowing white scull face that came down on me while laying in bed at the age of 4), and after a while I just accepted that stuff happens we can't explain. If you take all these stories you hear literally, then apparently strange things have been happening to a lot of people for a very long time.

On a few occasions I had information just put in my head. It's that "eureka" type of moment. And often nothing I was even thinking about, or was familiar with. One time when I was about 16, I had the complete plan for a tool just pop in my head. It was a type of pipe clam that used a bicycle chain. I had never seen such a tool, and later when I saw my first pipe clamp, it was totally different, and the one I was shown was much better. But I was too young to do anything with it.

Another time is was a odd bicycle that was good for off road cycling, and you reclined with your legs higher than your seat. Once again, I saw bikes like that years later, but not the same. This used to happen all the time.

Another aspect of this is with any kind of creative work. I'm a musician, and you hear musicians talking about "being in the zone". When that happens things take on a life of their own and you are only going along for the ride.

The first really weird event was back in the mid 80's..... probably '86 or '87. I was playing in a band where I was the main songwriter. There were three of us, and we were at rehearsal. We were playing a song where I played the guitar solo (there was another guitarist and a bassist). I composed the solo and would normally play it as written. But I enjoy improvising, so that evening I decided I would pick the first note, and the last note, and then clear my mind (not an east feat!) and just let things happen.

So just as I'm about to start my solo, I hear a voice in my head. It's not like I'm thinking, and it's not like someone is taking in my ear either. It was super clear, and just right in my head. It was a male voice, very calm and soothing. It had a sort of "pure" tone about it... not like a person.

The voice said "play these notes, they will work for you". I thought "who talks like that?" and then was compelled to look at my guitar neck, something I don't do when I play, and there, on the neck, were shapes, I think they were white circles, with numbers, and dotted lines connecting them from note to note. It reminded me of those cartoons where someone is learning to dance, and they have the foot prints on the floor to show them where to put their feet.

So I followed the notes and played the most amazing thing I ever heard. It wasn't like I was doing it though, I just started playing it.

After the song ended I was standing there thinking "whoa! what just happened" and I couldn't remember what I played, or what it sounded like. As strange as the whole event was, it didn't seem strange. Everything was sort of different.. it just seemed like this was normal. I looked up at my two band mates, and they were just looking at me with their mouths open... they said "what was that you played? It was amazing!"

I simply said "well you wont believe me but..."

That never happened again. I have woke from dreams with a full song in my head though.

Now the kicker... and why I'm here, in a round about way.

About a year ago (I don't remember exactly when it happened.. my wife probably remembers) I woke about 3 am, and was totally wide awake. I lay in bed for a few minutes, and when I realized I wasn't going to fall asleep anytime soon I got out of bed and went into the living room, and sat on the couch in the dark. Since I was a kid I'd fall asleep first sitting in a big armchair in the dark, and then at some point would wake up and go to bed.

So I sat cross legged on the couch and all of a sudden I have a stream of information flowing through my mind. I could actually see it, coming from the lower left, to the upper right, on my left side, in a sort of arc. It was all manner of things. Pictures of stuff, technical drawings, video images, and then just ideas, and more ideas. It was going really fast. I thought to my self "Wow! This is really good information" It struck me as odd that I would phrase it that way... "good information." That's a funny way to talk. The information filled me with bliss. Then the voice... same voice as years earlier. It started telling me something, or maybe I just had the idea, but it said I had to write a book about what I was being shown. It said it would be helpful to people. People would need this at some point... It said I had to write the book and then get people together, like a following. I'm thinking this is how religions got started! The thing it was showing me was something about vibrations. At the time it all made sense. I understood it... it was simple and even obvious, but was something I had never thought of. Something about raising vibrations.

So now I'm calm, but starting to be concerned. Part of me was thinking of the people who make claims of some entity coming to them and instruction them to do such and such, and then they end up like Joseph Smith! :frown:

I wanted to know the information, and I wanted to help, but was also thinking about all the work it wanted me to do so I said back to it, just by me thinking to myself "...I don't know if I can do all this, it seems like a lot of work" and then the images stopped. I had it in my mind to get up and go into the kitchen to get a pad on the fridge and write the vibrations thing down, I start the book tomorrow... but then I was suddenly very tired, and since I remembered it fine, I said to myself, "Oh I don't need to write it down, I'll remember it, I'm certain I will" and I had to lay down and fell asleep on the couch.

I woke up several hours later and went to bed.

In the morning, I remembered the event, and even vaguely remember what all the streaming images looked like (but not in detail or content), but I couldn't remember what I was told to write a book about.

I'm been hoping it will happen again, but so far nothing.

Days later I started thinking I was being manipulated. It promised all this information in return to get me to do something. I wasn't sure the intentions were all that good, but not that they were bad either.

Anyway, that's the story. It's not the first strange thing to happen to me, or even the strangest. But it seems like just another event in a long string of events. But I can't help but thinking the information it told me in still locked away in my head. It's easy to see how you could read something like this and think the person is a nut. As much as I am open to many things, it still seems surreal that it actually happened. And at the same time, not.

Since that night I seem to be coming up with new ways of looking at things, and it almost seems I'm being influenced by what I can't remember.... like it's slowly leaking into my awareness.

Probably not the right part of the forum for all that, but it seemed apropos.

I think some people are sincere in their stories and beliefs, and some of them might have even been mislead by whomever or whatever it is. And that makes things even more muddled.

What does it all mean? I'm still trying to figure that out. This seems like a good place to start.

:)

Budd Hopkins comes off as very genuine and credible. However, we have to treat hypnosis with a huge degree of scepticism. It is wildly subjective. Say a researcher is a qualified hypnotist who tries not to influence their subjects in any way during the hypnosis. say their subject has seen a UFO and then has a period of missing time. Now, pretty much everyone knows the archetypal tale of the abduction. They go to a UFO researcher to be hypnotised in the first place to retrieve these "memories". Before they even step into his or her office their head is swimming with all these things, and thus the hypnotism is tainted from the get go.

I'm not saying its all BS, far from it. I prefer to look at unfiltered memories personally . The UFO phenonema is subjective enough as it is (read subjective as strange if you like). Hypnosis adds a whole other level on top of this which can confuse matters immensely IMO

Yeah, but good researchers like Budd don't publicize certain aspects of the abduction.. very odd minutiae. But he often hears the same details over and over. John Mack said the same thing. People out in the bush in Africa would tell the same abduction tales, and that's not in their culture or known to them. The Bible even tells of angles coming down and kidnapping people.

Budd has stated that he has tried to lead people into having an abduction memory under hypnosis when they didn't, and they still didn't.

Abductees seem to often have little recollection of the experience. Some might have "bookend" memories, but some have nothing.

For what ever reason, the memories are never totally removed, just blocked. Maybe they can't remove them? Maybe our brains are different. So hypnotic regression is a good tool to unblock those memories, but it doesn't put memories that aren't there.

But you have to have a skilled person doing the hypnosis of course.

I think he's done far more good than bad.

Back