• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Coupon Follies….

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Apropos of nothing, I went to the nearest ULTA, a large chain of beauty supply stores in the USA, to purchase a couple of items for the Mrs. Armed with a 20% discount, I expected to actually be able to use it. Unfortunately, the very, very fine print has loads of exclusions and an ephemeral category, "prestige," which pretty much eliminates most of the products they sell. This sort of bait and switch scheme will drive traffic, but I can't imagine customers aren't bitching about the fact that the promised discount seldom applies.

Yes, I told off the cashier, calmly of course, then posted comments on Facebook and Twitter. They deserve the wrong kind of publicity. :D

Apropos of nothing, I went to the nearest ULTA, a large chain of beauty supply stores in the USA, to purchase a couple of items for the Mrs. Armed with a 20% discount, I expected to actually be able to use it. Unfortunately, the very, very fine print has loads of exclusions and an ephemeral category, "prestige," which pretty much eliminates most of the products they sell. This sort of bait and switch scheme will drive traffic, but I can't imagine customers aren't bitching about the fact that the promised discount seldom applies.

Yes, I told off the cashier, calmly of course, then posted comments on Facebook and Twitter. They deserve the wrong kind of publicity. :D

Shit like that drives me crazy. I'm glad you told them and posted it. I love the power that social media gives us to complain about stuff like that. Well, I like it when it's warranted, as it was in this case. One of the best examples is the Kevin Smith fiasco on Southwest Airlines when they told him he was too fat to fly. They didn't realize who he was and that he has millions of Twitter followers.

I don't know if they have Chick-fil-a (chicken place) locations in Arizona, but if you ever complain about them via social media they send you all kinds of free stuff so fast I have a hard time believing it's even mailed. They messed up a $3 sandwich and sent me $30 in free food, a stuffed cow and a calendar.

There are men in black-- and they work for the customer service division of a southern US friend chicken chain.

I don't know if they have Chick-fil-a (chicken place) locations in Arizona, but if you ever complain about them via social media they send you all kinds of free stuff so fast I have a hard time believing it's even mailed. They messed up a $3 sandwich and sent me $30 in free food, a stuffed cow and a calendar.

There are men in black-- and they work for the customer service division of a southern US friend chicken chain.

Yes we have 'em here. I ought to give them a try one of these days. Do they have sides other than fries?

Yes we have 'em here. I ought to give them a try one of these days. Do they have sides other than fries?

Yeah, all kinds. Cole slaw, fruit, misc. salads that generally accompany fried chicken. Either way, let them give you the fries first and then insist you ordred a different side. It will give you something to tweet about to activate their customer service matrix. ;)

Yeah, all kinds. Cole slaw, fruit, misc. salads that generally accompany fried chicken. Either way, let them give you the fries first and then insist you ordred a different side. It will give you something to tweet about to activate their customer service matrix. ;)

I was considering the chargrilled sandwich and maybe fruit or soup. Too bad there are no baked potatoes.

You should also "mention" them in your tweet next time for maximum impact. That way they're guaranteed to see it. So, instead of "Ulta, what's up with the scam!" go with "@ULTA_Beauty what's up with the scam?"

You should also "mention" them in your tweet next time for maximum impact. That way they're guaranteed to see it. So, instead of "Ulta, what's up with the scam!" go with "@ULTA_Beauty what's up with the scam?"

It remains to be seen how far I take this. Let me see the reaction first.

Never thought I'd see Chick-fil-a discussed on here. They do have paranormal chicken sandwiches though.

I hear they are closed on Sundays to use their many nationwide franchises as reptilian-human hybrid meeting spots. Think Elk's Lodge for aliens. Hell, if I only came topside once a week I wouldn't mind a Chick-fil-a sandwich while I plotted the destruction of Earth.

The only place I really find sales and discounts to work in my favor is Kohls. But I don't shop often due to weakness of wallet.
Something I read today indicates that "Groupon" is a ponzi scheme so I am not counting on thing from it either.

Back