• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Could we be seeing the death of MUFON?

Jeff Crowell

Paranormal Annoyance
So...I followed my state's MUFON chapter and 'friended' the state director on Facebook for several years now but a few weeks ago some disturbing events started. First, one of our 'critical' long-time state investigators up and quick, sending out a rather public resignation to everybody in the FB group. Then, two weeks ago I noticed the FB page name changed....twice in rapid succession, moving to the Midwest UFO Network which I believe was the original name of MUFON back in the early 70's. Then, early last week I noticed that the FB page itself was archived and no longer active. On top of that the state director had 'unfriended' me.

No, I can be difficult to get along with sometime, I can be abrasive and outspoken, but I just tell it how it is sometimes, so I figured I did something to piss this guy off. Two nights ago I sent him a private message and asked him straight-up; did I cross a line and what happened to the state MUFON page? Last night he replies, asking me to call him to discuss what had occurred.

It seems there's been a major mutiny or shake up or migration or what-ever-you-want-to-call up on a national level throughout the entire MUFON organization. There's a percentage of more scientific and empirical minded members who weren't happy with the direction MUFON's been going lately; including some high-level personnel changes and the whole "secret space program" theme during this years symposium, it seems. Add to this the fact that the organization has not only refused to take disciplinary action against John Ventre due to his racist rant, but rumor has it the next symposium is even being held in Ventre's state of Pennsylvania... and HE'S in charge of it! As a result MUFON has lost a lot....a LOT of people, including state directors and key investigators, some very solid people, and enough to thin their ranks to dangerously low levels.

Now of course I can't name my source, but who does that in this field anyway?! Seriously, I didn't get his permission to use his name or such so i'm not calling him out, but I think the signs and evidence are there in many other avenues to support this claim. One big question I failed to ask him was, "why the fuck did it take so long for the more scientifically inclined people to leave?!" We all know MUFON's been going down hill for a a decade or more, and just now people are reaching their limit? but I held my tongue.

He and I talked for about 30 minutes, and though he was optimistic that my state's chapter and MUFON itself would continue I could read between the lines a little bit. He even suggested I officially join MUFON and become an investigator, "because they need good investigators," but from what he was telling me about the innards of the organization it was a little insulting. lol. I mean on one hand he was saying how they've moved from credible scientific work and on the other hand he was telling me to go join. That told me he didn't think all that highly of my own perspective, but that's neither here nor there. What I read between the lines was that this was one of the biggest migrations of people away from MUFON he'd yet experienced and he's been a member for upwards of three decades or so.

The take away is this, I think; watch MUFON over the next several months or year. I think we'll see it fade off into the distance, but whatever change we see in that organization it will ultimately be drastic.

This is a field i haven't been terribly involved in lately but i have to give it up for the two previous posts.

While I do admit this is an interesting field of study there is nothing new happening ( my opinion) and its time to put a stake in it and pool its resources into another sector ( not field) that promises more tangible returns other than a accidental sighting that gets airtime on coast to coast and allows Peter Davenport some airtime and a chance to promote his site.

MUFON will continue to exist if not to justify its own existence, and to keep the coffers from hitting empty, and to have a reason to see ole Joe Smith ONE more time and talk about that close encounter back in '85 but I'd rather put the time, energy, and $ towards something more tangible rather than run into the same old guys (with creakier knees and reduced in numbers as they are) talk about things that ran out of steam 20+ years ago.

peace out

Last edited:
MUFON will probably continue. Afterall, it has chapters in most states and in various countries around the world. I doubt these chapters are getting financial support so even the demise of an HQ (headquarters) wouldn't cause the chapters to fold, although they might all become independent and choose their own moniker. Perhaps one analogy is the path of cable TV. Remember when the monikers meant something? A&E actually was an arts & entertainment network. The History Channel presented actual history. SYFY was a science fiction channel (no professional wrestling). TLC was once the Learning Channel (now it specializes in dwarfs and right wing families with 19 children). In the same way, what MUFON once stood for may become meaningless as that "channel" morphs into something more commercially viable. So in a sense, MUFON as a scientific organization may die, the legal MUFON organization will probably continue as something quite different. But I also hold out hope that this trend to exploit wild stories may cease.

Back