• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Coral Castle

BrandonD said:
Does anyone have a video explaining how one finds the perfect center of gravity in a 10 ton asymmetrical stone, fashioning it into a revolving door that a child can swing open?

Perhaps this is easy as pie, I dunno I'm not an engineer. But something tells me it might be rather difficult with pulleys, logs and ropes.

Putting the stone on a smaller rock might allow a child to turn it. Not sure about 10 tons though.

BrandonD said:
Does anyone have a video explaining how one finds the perfect center of gravity in a 10 ton asymmetrical stone, fashioning it into a revolving door that a child can swing open?

Perhaps this is easy as pie, I dunno I'm not an engineer. But something tells me it might be rather difficult with pulleys, logs and ropes.

You don't need a video to figure out the center of gravity of a symmetrical or fairly symmetrical object. The door is roughly rectangular. The center of gravity is going to be the midpoint of the outer dimensions of width and depth. This will give you a close approximation of center of gravity. This is basic physics. I would have been more impressed it the door was an odd shape.

The difficulty is not figuring out the center of gravity but hoisting the massive weight. More so because there would be some fine tuning of the center of gravity to figure out the precise center of gravity to compensate for variations in density. This would mean being able to move in small increments to mark the center of gravity in one direction and then the other.

Gives a sufficient lever even a child could lift several tons with counterweights by placing smaller weights together such as carrying many 10lb stones and piling them together.

The videos I've posted has already shown that one man can move easily something several hundred times his weight again using counterweights instead of muscle.

No one ever said the method the Coral Castle was built was easy. But I don't think it's paranormal. Amazing yes.

But keep in mind the guy came from a family trained in masonry work. They are used to dealing with large stones. It's not like the guy didn't know anything and suddenly built this incredible structure by communicating with aliens or figuring out the secret force of the universe that has so far eluded scientists.

Here is a website that you can purchase a hand operated chain hoist that can lift 20tons. http://acihoist.com/_Products/Hand_Chain_Hoists.htm

That is more than half the weight of the largest stone at the Coral Castle but plenty enough to lift half of it. Using two or more hoists an average man or even a 100lb man could gradually lift (using stacking interim blocks) a huge block of stone. Now you have to go find one.

Wow, just caught up on this thread...I thought it was dead and buried a long time ago, lol.
Glad to see all the interesting replies.

I don't know what to think of Coral Castle, but it does seem fascinating to hear that a diminutive man built that thing alone.

One day, I'll have to visit there.

Keep up the great posts!

Bixyboo

I have been to the Coral Castle and found the entire site utterly fascinating. However, I agree that the Castle (much like the Pyramids of Egypt) were built using the four basic machines: the lever, the wheel, the pulley and the inclined plane. Keep in mind the ancients made buildings and monuments out of stone for literally thousands of years, and likely learned secrets that we simply do not have a need to know in modern times. While you may look upon the Coral Castle or the Great Pyramid of Giza in wonder as to how it was constructed out of stone, it is equally as logical that Ramses II's reaction to modern day Manhattan would be "how did you make these buildings out of glass?" It is all a matter of perspective.

Yes, it is a fascinating and fairly accessible place to visit in Florida. I recommend it as a destination of interest for anyone who enjoys the strange. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpg
    IMG_1971.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 11
Back