• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Conspiracies, or just a plain devolution of society at large?

Truly elite prep schools.

It is work to dig out this information. How to find it: Go to some list of rich people, like this list of the richest families in the world: The Top 10 Richest Families in the World - TheRichest

Use Wikipedia to Identify their children. Use Google to track down which private schools their children attended. If they have a website, look in the "about us" type section for information on their curriculum. Look for things like a "mission statement" or a "values and traditions" section of the website.

Do this research, for example, on Prince Harry and David Rothschild.

Prince Harry of Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

David Mayer de Rothschild - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a friend who teaches nobility children in Saudi Arabia. It's not like the schools you and I went to.

While it is true that a lot of successful people do not have a formal tertiary degree, tertiary education does still have a lot to offer in terms of a broad foundation of knowledge, a source of independence and self confidence, a way of learning persuasive arguing skills, and practice in effective time management, working to deadlines and developing a sound work ethic -- which is not to say that you can't get all those things from other sources. I studied for some time on a Bachelor of Arts degree and a postgrad vocational degree (Museum Studies), and recently finished another course in Creative Writing. I'd say the "liberal Arts" education offers a better view of the world than many people give it credit for -- and whether you (generic) end up as a "cookie-cutter drone" or have your brain smashed into putty for the sake of a grade... well, that depends on what you want to get from your education, doesn't it? Do you just want to get the marks, or do you want to come away from it with more knowledge and confidence than you had before?

30 years ago a rebellious high school teacher helped me tremedously. This would NOT happen today.

In 10th grade I got shoved into a remedial math program with the low-intelligence kids because I was too stoned on ganja every day to understand algebra, and bombed out of it.

The teacher was awesome. Instead of making us perform rows of sums and long division all year while he read a newspaper, he threw out the proscribed curriculum and secretly taught us how to balance a checkbook, how to negotiate with car dealers, how to save up for a washing machine, how loans are amortized, and how to construct a monthly family budget.

No other teacher or class taught that stuff. Those working class "low-intelligence" kids graduated 10th grade knowing more valuable survival skills than the "smart" doctors' and lawyers' kids.

Today that teacher would be quickly fired for non-compliance.

It's on my bucket list to write that guy a nice letter if he's still alive.

Back