• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said before Constance, I'm the one who tries to keep the discussion on track and non-personal. And once again it's you who is making this into something personal. How I "come across" to you is your subjective interpretation of what I write rather than actually looking at the content and making a rational evaluation. If you actually go back and read my personal opinion of smcder, you'll see this:

" My experience with you here on the forum indicates that you are an intelligent well informed individual who makes valuable contributions to this forum and unless specifically stated, my content means no disrespect to you or any group whatsoever."
Similarly, I don't think I've ever said anything so directly personal and critical about you as you have just been to me. Quite frankly, your criticism is without substance, and I'd thank you to be less personal, and more on topic in the future.

I have to disagree - every 'rational evaluation' indicates that you are someone who takes every opportunity to ridicule particular world views that you are either uncomfortable with or don't agree with. (You insist on posting on this thread though you have made it endlessly clear that you have little regard for anything remotely 'mystical' or 'occult' or 'spiritual' - nonsense is your favorite word - a complete non-starter in any conversation. I could quote you to you but you can go back and read your own posts for said evidence of your overall 'disrespect'.) Self-reflection is not your strong point.

However, since you mention it, if you could do your part to keep the tone of this thread (anyway) courteous and friendly towards all posters and opinions. If you are on this thread I would assume friendliness and interest in the topics raised - not a hectoring attitude. You do have a thread that you are having abide by your parameters - so I don't see that you need to come onto this thread to continually complain about 'nut cases.'

I have to disagree - every 'rational evaluation' indicates that you are someone who takes every opportunity to ridicule particular world views that you are either uncomfortable with or don't agree with. (You insist on posting on this thread though you have made it endlessly clear that you have little regard for anything remotely 'mystical' or 'occult' or 'spiritual' - nonsense is your favorite word - a complete non-starter in any conversation. I could quote you to you but you can go back and read your own posts for said evidence of your overall 'disrespect'.) Self-reflection is not your strong point.
Calling a viewpoint nonsense isn't ridicule if in fact that viewpoint is nonsense. If you think that assessment is faulty, then it's up to you to provide valid counterpoint rather than attacking me personally. If you succeed in making a valid counterpoint it will be acknowledged as such and I'll change my position accordingly. Until then, you would have better luck succeeding in that effort by addressing the issues rather than airing your faulty perceptions of my personality.

Margaret Heffeman - Dare To Disagree

Last edited:
Calling a viewpoint nonsense isn't ridicule if in fact that viewpoint is nonsense.
So you say, so you think - which says a great deal about the kind of person you are.

If you think that assessment is faulty, then it's up to you to provide valid counterpoint rather than attacking me personally.

You think a cough in your direction is 'attacking you personally'. You have a very low tolerance level - you present as someone who must be right even in the most banal of ways. You'd think that as someone so sensitive, you'd be super-sensitive towards others, but as we all know it's never like that in these kinds of cases.

Calling someone's pov 'nonsense' is not an 'assessment'. It's called name-calling - usually engaged in when intellectual response becomes a challenge. I have watched someone on this site actually talk 'nonsense' - I mean they really are adept at stringing together meaningless phrases and you haven't a clue that that they have to be putting you on. So much for your 'nonsense detector'.

If you succeed in making a valid counterpoint it will be acknowledged as such and I'll change my position accordingly. Until then, you would have better luck succeeding in that effort by addressing the issues rather than airing your faulty perceptions of my personality.

How quickly you go to an 'elevated' place when you discover you are being called on your low-brow verbal antics.

You need to take your own advice - address the issues instead of bandying about the word 'nonsense' and other equally provocative phrases meant to incite (I am sure). Rather than post videos no one is watching - why not actually engage the ideas presented? Why not actually read the links and respond with intellectual gold, instead of all the flim-flam? You always post the most strange claims and then put it on the person responding to you to prove their objection? Funny as all hey - always getting the other person to do all the intellectual heavy lifting.

Why not go onto your own thread - of which you have many - and post your own brand of 'nonsense' to your heart's content, as you already do? Why here on this thread? What's up?

Last edited:
So you say, so you think - which says a great deal about the kind of person you are.
Still insisting on being all personal eh :rolleyes: ? Wasn't there anything in the video I posted you'd rather discuss? Hefferman seems like an interesting and intelligent lady with a healthy perspective on how people with differing views can work together toward a common ground. Or maybe something related to the topic of the thread? Or would you rather just keep criticizing me personally? Maybe you're right and I should see a shrink who can explain why I feel it necessary to come here and expose myself to all the negative waves ...

Last edited:
Ufology, you make it personal in incessantly insulting other posters' intelligence by expressing contempt for their worldviews and values. Then, when people object and call you on it, you whine. It shouldn't be so difficult for you to see what's happening here and to moderate the way you approach others.

Bravo to the US. What else would you expect from the richest and most powerful country on earth? You need a broader and deeper understanding of how the West rose on the backs, minds, and souls of the people and natural resources of the Third World. Read a history of European and American colonialism. Read especially about the British Empire and American Imperialism. And I'd also recommend that you read Frantz Fanon's The Wretched of the Earth and this book about Fanon's social theories and enormous contributions to human psychology:

This study is also available as a free download at scribd: Frantz Fanon and the Psychology of Oppression - Hussein Abdilahi Bulhan

Last edited:
"The Algerian War consolidated Fanon’s alienation from the French imperial viewpoint, and in 1956 he formally resigned his post with the French government to work for the Algerian cause. His letter of resignation encapsulates his theory of the psychology of colonial domination, and pronounces the colonial mission incompatible with ethical psychiatric practice:

If psychiatry is the medical technique that aims to enable man no longer to be a stranger to his environment, I owe it to myself to affirm that the Arab, permanently an alien in his own country, lives in a state of absolute depersonalization … The events in Algeria are the logical consequence of an abortive attempt to decerebralize a people.

Read more: » Fanon, Frantz Postcolonial Studies @ Emory

I liked-tagged your last post because it's focused on the issues again. Here's an interesting counterpoint to Fanon: http://ouraim.blogspot.ca/2008/03/absence-of-islamism-in-fanons-work.html

Not much of a 'counterpoint' to Fanon, which is clear in the first response to the blog you presented:

"Islam is certainly not absent in Fanon's work, whilst Islamism as an ideological movement may well be as it comes after Fanon's death. Your analysis is seriously deficient on many counts, but using an english version of Fanon's final work and citing el Mili as an authority hardly adds to your account.You hail the ulama of Ben Badis without acknowledging that they were opposed to Algerian independence.You hail Massali Hadj but choose to ignore Larbi Ben M'hidi and Abane Ramdane, probably the decisive intellectuals of the revolutionary period. You ignore all of Fanon's psychiatric work which focused on Islam. You confuse religion and culture, hence ascribing resistance to Islam and ignoring cultural factors in that process limits your argument.The peasantry were important to fanon, not least because of the deracinated masses who flooded the towns during the 20th century. However, it was the algerian chaab who were the real actors in the revolutionary war. I could go on but just to say that what you have done here is retrospectively assume that islamism both operated in Algeria and was decisive before 1954. This is not true, your dismissal of sufism was not the case for the French. Islam in Algeria is very complex and deserves more than this attempt to denigrate Fanon and secular Islam. I suggest you read more history, including the story of Algeria's first Islamic state in the 7th century, then read the critiques of the ulama movement, then read all of Fanon in French, then read FIS's change of position on Fanon, then explain to yourself why Fanon died under the name of Ibrahim Fanon and was buried in a graveyard reserved for chouhada. Its a hard lesson to learn that Algerian nationalists were also Muslims, that doesnt mean they were Islamists."

Was there some other point you wanted to make?

Not much of a 'counterpoint' to Fanon, which is clear in the first response to the blog you presented:

"Islam is certainly not absent in Fanon's work, whilst Islamism as an ideological movement may well be as it comes after Fanon's death. Your analysis is seriously deficient on many counts, but using an english version of Fanon's final work and citing el Mili as an authority hardly adds to your account. You hail the ulama of Ben Badis without acknowledging that they were opposed to Algerian independence.

You hail Massali Hadj but choose to ignore Larbi Ben M'hidi and Abane Ramdane, probably the decisive intellectuals of the revolutionary period. You ignore all of Fanon's psychiatric work which focused on Islam. You confuse religion and culture, hence ascribing resistance to Islam and ignoring cultural factors in that process limits your argument. The peasantry were important to fanon, not least because of the deracinated masses who flooded the towns during the 20th century.

However, it was the algerian chaab who were the real actors in the revolutionary war. I could go on but just to say that what you have done here is retrospectively assume that islamism both operated in Algeria and was decisive before 1954. This is not true, your dismissal of sufism was not the case for the French. Islam in Algeria is very complex and deserves more than this attempt to denigrate Fanon and secular Islam. I suggest you read more history, including the story of Algeria's first Islamic state in the 7th century, then read the critiques of the ulama movement, then read all of Fanon in French, then read FIS's change of position on Fanon, then explain to yourself why Fanon died under the name of Ibrahim Fanon and was buried in a graveyard reserved for chouhada. Its a hard lesson to learn that Algerian nationalists were also Muslims, that doesnt mean they were Islamists."

Was there some other point you wanted to make?

Not really. I was just surfing the topic to see if there was some interesting counterpoint that might be relevant. On that note, the quote you used above appears to be in error regarding the arrival of Islam in Algeria. Consider what Wikipedia has to say:

"Islam was first brought to Algeria by the Umayyad dynasty following the invasion of Uqba ibn Nafi, in a drawn-out process of conquest and conversion stretching from 670 to 711. The native Berbers were rapidly converted in large numbers, although some Christian and probably pagan communities would remain at least until Almoravid times. However, as in the Middle East itself, they sought to combine their new Islam with resistance to the Caliphate's foreign rule - a niche which the Kharijite and Shiite "heresies" filled perfectly. By the late 8th century, most of Algeria was ruled by the Rustamids, who professed the strictly puritanical but politically moderate Ibadhi sect and saw the Caliphs as immoral usurpers. They were destroyed by the Shia Fatimids in 909, but their doctrine was re-established further south by refugees whose descendants would ultimately found the towns of the M'zab valley in the Algerian Sahara, where Ibadhism still dominates."
It would seem that contrary to your quoted blogger's claim, Islam was established in Algeria well before Fanon's appearance on the scene. Personally, I have less reason to doubt Wikipedia than your quoted source. However perhaps it would also be prudent to mention that oppression in Africa predates the arrival of Europeans. For example before the arrival of Europeans, there were a number of warring tribes who used ivory as their primary store of wealth. But that is getting off topic. Even today in Africa there are those who will choose a tribal witch doctor rather than seeing a doctor with western scientific medical training, and guess what happens to the ones who go to the witch doctor?

"Schoolchildren are closely watched by teachers and parents as they make their way home from school. In playgrounds and on the roadside are posters warning of the danger of abduction by witch doctors for the purpose of child sacrifice. The ritual, which some believe brings wealth and good health, was almost unheard of in the country until about three years ago, but it has re-emerged, seemingly alongside a boom in the country's economy. The mutilated bodies of children have been discovered at roadsides, the victims of an apparently growing belief in the power of human sacrifice." Article here.

The above is only the worst of it. There are many other cases where people are misled by claims of magical tribal medicine. There are few other places than Africa where the destructive effects of belief in magic and the occult have real world consequences. So once again you'll have to appreciate that when I use the word "nonsense", to describe these things, I have a valid point. Believing in mystical magical mumbo jumbo can be dangerous and the spread of it is dangerous. When people start believing it, the next thing they want is for it to become a social standard, and then law, and the next thing you know you're wearing a burka and being found guilty under Sharia Law.

Fortunately in the west, we're mostly free of witch doctors, but many people are still taken in each year by televangelists and psychics claiming to have some connection to the supernatural.

Last edited:
Consciousness and the paranormal ...

For example, I read Jane Robert's Seth Speaks in High School. It supposedly contains "revealed knowledge" from a spiritual being. At the time I really didn't know what to make of it. Today, I think she was essentially talking to herself. I don't have the impression she was a charlatan like J.Knight who allegedly channels the being Ramtha, although she could have been. I think she had convinced herself of something and suffered delusional thoughts and was enabled by those around her to essentially produce works of folk performance art.

Has anyone ever used their consciousness to contact the paranormal and come back with actionable information that doesn't sound like dime-store philosophy full of pretentious religious imagery? In other words, is there anything to suggest that revealed knowledge through paranormal means is anything more than the work of the human mind?

Is that a fair question for the thread?

For sure a fair question. I will answer - maybe others will as well - but I suspect my answer won't be the kind of answer you want. In your run-down there is so much emotion around certain ideas like philosphy and religion - 'dime-store', 'pretentious' - that I'm not sure I can 'answer' your query satisfactorily for you. But here I go anyway....

Rather than pass judgment pro or con on Jane Robert's 'Seth Material', or any other channeled corpus of work - like 'The Urantia Book' or 'A Course In Miracles' or Alice A. Bailey's work - I am more inclined to offer comment on where one places one's focus. While phenomena are interesting, even fascinating, it's more compelling - imo - to look at the processes that lead to such occurrences. What is 'true' - and relevant - sifts out naturally.

Perhaps what is most obvious to the interested observer is the degree to which the phenomena (and content) are driving the debate around 'suprasensory' experiences. In such an area where phenomena outstrips knowledge to the point of befuddlement, it makes sense to search out the knowledge of advanced souls who have had the capacity to articulate the nature of the processes of suprasensory perception.

The forever-answer is always self-knowledge. Observation of human nature in both oneself and others. From an ancient text: "Intelligence is impartial: no man is your enemy: no man is your friend. All alike are your teachers. Your enemy becomes a mystery that must be solved, even though it take ages: for man must be understood. Your friend becomes a part of yourself, an extension of yourself, a riddle hard to read. Only one thing is more difficult to know — your own heart. Not until the bonds of personality are loosed, can that profound mystery of self begin to be seen. Not till you stand aside from it will it in any way reveal itself to your understanding. Then, and not till then, can you grasp and guide it. Then, and not till then, can you use all its powers, and devote them to a worthy service."

I offer here some paragraphs from the afterward of an occult manual articulating a way of self-knowledge. For those who can hear, it will be obvious what the writer of this text is saying. The italics is by the author. The bolding emphasis is my own. [If anyone would like me to 'translate' what is being said in the below quote, I will do so, just ask. I am aware that it may be an obscure text for those not familiar with certain concepts.]

"Practicing the second of these meditations makes it clear - and later meditations makes it even clearer - that this path of the soul decisively rejects all so-called clairvoyance associated with bodily illness or abnormality. The path of soul described here excludes all visionary or mediumistic phenomenon arising from such conditions. Even sensory perception and the thinking based upon it represent a higher realm than the inner state from which such soul contents come. For in perception and thinking, a person lives more fully in the suprasensory realm, and depends less upon the body than when a disordered soul life leads the soul astray by presenting the content of processes originally intended to serve the body. These processes deviate from their natural tasks in a distorted way, leading to ideas that are neither in objective perceiving nor in active willing.

"Among the soul functions of normal consciousness, only thinking can free itself from perception and lead to independent activity unconditioned by abnormal, bodily processes. Clairvoyant vision, as I use the term, does not sink below thinking into deeper organic processes; rather it rises to realms that begin with thinking when thinking is inwardly illuminated by the soul and controlled by the will. From such self-controlled thinking, the soul develops clairvoyant vision as it is meant here. Thinking is the paradigm for vision.

"What these meditations describe as suprasensory vision is, however, essentially different from ordinary thinking and leads to an experience of suprasensory worlds that thinking alone cannot enter. But the life that unfolds in such vision is none other than the life developed within thinking. The soul must live within it's suprasensory visions and illuminations with the same consciousness with which it lives within a thought and moves from one thought to another.

"The relationship of the soul to these visions is essentially different from its relationship to ordinary thoughts. Certainly, suprasensory vision has a psychic connection to its corresponding reality that it is recalling. But during the activity of supersensory seeing, the power of memory itself plays no role in the soul. What you have once imagined, you can remember again, even if the imagination is pure fantasy. Still, unless you have developed another power of vision, one that allows you to recreate in the soul the same conditions that led to the vision, what you experienced in clairvoyant vision disappears from consciousness the moment the vision ceases. You can remember the conditions and, through them, repeat the vision, but you cannot directly recall the vision.

"Whoever has attained the necessary insight in these matters can use it as a means of cognizing the reality that corresponds to the vision. You can recall a perception or an experience without having the experience or the perception again when you remember it. Similarly, when you remember a vision, the remembered vision does not itself contain the real content of the vision. From this, you can recognize that the suprasensory reality corresponding to the vision is no more illusory than perception is to sensory reality.

"People can easily fall into error here if they have not familiarized themselves sufficiently with the nature of such visions and therefore judge the reports of these things on the basis of their preconceptions. They think that what arises in clairvoyant consciousness has to do with the play of fantasy or an interweaving of ideas overflowing from the unconscious depths of the soul like vague memories. Those who make such judgements do not know that genuine clairvoyant consciousness exists only in contents of the soul that, by their nature, cannot go down into the organic depths and that, as soon as they arise, resist being grasped by the power of memory.

"The natural course of clairvoyant life differs from that of ordinary soul life in important ways. In everyday soul life, for instance, practice, or familiarity, plays a fruitful role. Repeated performance of an act increases the ability to perform that act skillfully. How could we progress in life, art, or any kind of learning, if we could not increase our proficiency through practice? But this is not the case with clairvoyant vision. Someone who has a suprasensory experience does not become that much more skillful a second time. In fact, precisely because someone has had an experience once, that experience in the future will be elusive. The experience, in a sense, tries to flee. Therefore, in order to repeat a suprasensory experience, one must undertake specific exercises to strengthen the powers of the soul. The soul must be stronger the second time than the first. This is a source of bitter disappointment for beginners on the path to the suprasensory.

"Those who undertake the exercises for strengthening the soul's powers [...] can easily have suprasensory experiences. [... but] they will soon notice that they cannot repeat the same experiences. [...] However difficult it is, one must win through to the realization that the laws of suprasensory experience are often different from, even contrary to, those of physical experience. But one must not therefore conclude that knowledge of suprasensory experience can arise simply by thinking about the corresponding sensory processes in reverse. How things stand in each case must be discovered through suprasensory experience in each individual case.

"Another characteristic of suprasensory experience is that these visions light up for clairvoyant consciousness for only a barely measurable moment. One could say that the instant they arise, they are already gone. This means that only a quick awareness, an agile adjustment of attention, leads to noticing a genuine vision. Those who have not developed in their souls this agility of consciousness, coupled with an attitude of attention, may have visions, but they will have no knowledge of them. That is why so many people deny the existence of the suprasensory world. Suprasensory experience is really much more widespread than people usually think. Interaction with the spiritual world is actually something quite common and universal. But the ability to follow this interaction cognitively, with one's power of consciousness working swiftly, is won only with difficulty.

"You can prepare yourself for this capacity if you practice forming a rapid overview of the consequences of certain life situations and then acting accordingly. The habit of repeatedly reconsidering and hesitating over a decision ('Should I? Or shouldn't I?') results in lost time and procrastination, and it leaves one ill-prepared for observing the spiritual world. But for those who develop the capacity for maintaining in life the appropriate presence of mind will bring something essential and necessary to suprasensory experience.

"If we were to gain and use the faculty for suprasensory experience without changing ourselves first, then we would be unable to fulfill our daily tasks. Only when they develop out of a healthy life in sensory reality can suprasensory capacities be acquired in a healthy way. If you turn your back on that life or believe you can approach the suprasensory world through eccentric peculiarities, you are on the wrong path.

"True clairvoyant vision has the same relationship to the processes of normal consciousness as normal consciousness has to the sleep consciousness whose content arises before the soul as dreams. Just as unhealthy sleep disturbs and undermines normal consciousness, so healthy clairvoyant vision cannot rest upon the foundation of a negative or an impractical attitude toward normal life. The more firmly you stand in life and the more you understand your tasks in intellectual, feeling, moral, or social existence, the healthier will be the soul capacities that you can then bring to an experience of suprasensory worlds.

"The meditations [here] speak of that kind of healthy, clairvoyant vision. You will find nothing that is visionary, diseased, or fantastic in the usual sense on this path to knowledge of the suprasensory world."

Last edited:
Not really. I was just surfing the topic . . . but many people are still taken in each year by televangelists and psychics claiming to have some connection to the supernatural.

The only thing that's clear in that post, ufo, is that you seem not to understand the difference between Islam and Islamism. If there's a point you were trying to make in the post as a whole, can you state it?

Following from my last post, what is taking place with those we judge to be delusional and/or hallucinating - 'nut cases' because they believe they lived as Cleopatra in a 'past life' - inevitably are far more complicated and important as human experience than the dismissive attitude of even some streams of modern psychology.

One can be deluded - but why? How does that happen? What is the operative conditions or processes? Modern psychology has some answers - whether they are helpful, I don't know, since they usually approach such conditions as a matter for 'cure' - usually, these days, with drugs. (P.S. Disordered thinking can be addressed with the help of drugs - that is true. It is, however, a stop gap - the underlying causes are never actually understood or addressed. At least in 'African Voodoo' it is addressed within the paradigm being used. You tell me which is 'better'.)

What exactly is a hallucination? Is it something you see but no one else in the room sees? If that is the case, how exactly is the hallucinating person 'seeing'? Why is the content sometimes similar to other hallucinating individuals - and sometimes (oft times) not?

The above are questions for investigation - just like any other questions in the physical sciences - but here we are dealing with Fair Psyche - and the very stuff of which will do the investigation. Complicated to say the least - so complicated that it is far easier to just lump it all under 'physical' and deal with it like any other physically based question. So doing, however, will get us no where except into a delusional state - the very condition we are trying to avoid.

A great deal is made by certain posters about the manifestations of Psyche across cultures. Massive generalizations substitute for critical thinking, in fact. Go down the path of an Anthropologist and see how very complicated the world views of primitive peoples really are - in Africa, since that was the chosen example - before one submits to the delusion of generalization.

Nothing is more complicated than the current situation with the allopathic medical model as practiced in the West and as a result in most of the world's trauma hospitals. If there is a 'religious-like' clash taking place on the scientific playing ground it is here. It is the one place where ignorant generalization and superficial understanding does more harm than outright malpractice. Drugs and surgery - the 'cures' in allopathic medicine - are causing more dis-ease than cure - driven less by insight into the nature of the human being and disease than the monied corporate behemoths making-hay-while-the-sun-shines.

Last edited:
The idea of a 'political correctness movement' has been brought up on this thread. Someone is arguing that insensitive comments were 'purely illustrative', suggesting that offensive characterizations that are 'delivered without intent to offend, and not aimed at anyone in particular' are okay. Said poster 'respectfully suggests' that someone's 'objection is based on an exaggerated sense of political correctness'.

Before there is ever physical violence there is emotional and mental violence. Demeaning language describing the enemy in war is an actual tactic employed to desensitize soldiers so they can kill. The 'political correctness movement' is common decency that most people have always abided by and has now become a social standard.

Listen to the following video - to understand how much we are made unfree by language.
Guy Brings His White Girl To Barbershop In Harlem And Gets Hated On
LINK:

What is not explained by the physical-based reality model is free-will and love, forgiveness and creativity - the evidence of spirit - call it what you will - but something 'else'.

Last edited:
The idea of a 'political correctness movement' has been brought up on this thread. Someone is arguing that insensitive comments were 'purely illustrative', suggesting that offensive characterizations that are 'delivered without intent to offend, and not aimed at anyone in particular' are okay.

That would have been me with respect to a particular hypothetical case and not the generalization you're trying to make. However here's another example that I recently used to describe those who flew the airliners into the World Trade Center on 911: "wacko militant Islamists" Take that one up with the moderators too if you don't like it. And here's another one just for good measure:

LooneyTunesWallpaper800.jpg

Last edited:
That would have been me with respect to a particular hypothetical case and not the generalization you're trying to make. However here's another example that I recently used to describe those who flew the airliners into the World Trade Center on 911: "wacko militant Islamists" Take that one up with the moderators too if you don't like it.

Have you ever been banned, Ufology? I am starting to suspect you have given the way you invoke the moderators. You are the only poster here on this chat site that I have ever seen to do so. Either you've been banned once - or you believe you are 'untouchable'. I won't deny you have your fans here - but it goes further, that you appear to feel that you have a free hand in hectoring. Maybe you do.

I wrote: Before there is ever physical violence there is emotional and mental violence. Demeaning language describing the enemy in war is an actual tactic employed to desensitize soldiers so they can kill.

Your words describing the attackers is low-brow imo - it is the same kind of thinking the attackers were engaging in. It is the same kind of thinking our soldiers at Abu Graib were indulging in. It is the kind of thinking needed for all heineous crimes to be committed. It also means you see things one-dimensionally because to understand how that happened - how fanaticism like that occurs, one must be sensitive to the violence in one's own language. Somewhere in those young men's lives people spoke as you just did - giving them 'permission' to follow certain lines of thought that ended up as it did.

I am on the internet because of my students. I came on the internet 10 years ago to see what the chat-site experience is - and I have myself become addicted to it (sigh') - but I have seen how lethal this chat world can be to normal human sensibilities of courtesy and good graces, how contorted the thinking can be, how ill-prepared young minds would be to handle such conversation. Luckily, I think they are all on Instagram these days.

Your response to me - in fact this entire conversation - and this chat site and all of our thought-based activities - are indications of something else - which we call spirit.

In the above video I linked to - there is evidence of free-will, free choices being made on how to act, how to think, how to speak, what language to use. How does a physical based paradigm account for any of it - any of those choices - especially speech, especially language. Animals have instinct and behave in predictable ways - they do not 'argue' with each other except in very prescribed ways. Humans, however, are endowed with something 'else' - which accounts for all we demonstrate pertaining to freedom and creativity. We are far more than just a bundle of physical chemical reactions. None of this is explainable by such a closed system.

Last edited:
I appreciate everything you said above. Just don't try to equate my comment about the hypothetical nutcase who thinks they're the reincarnation of Cleopatra as a personal affront on your Dad and use the political correctness movement to justify your position. OK?

Your continued defense of a hypothetical "nutcase" proves you don't get the incredibly damaging effect of such language. Who cares what you think? Not me.

On what bases have you come to the determination that the latter are vested in "fraud, delusion, superstition, and primitive belief systems"? I think you need to make a case for your judgment that there are "no differences" in the range and type of experiences and thought involved in these various paths.

I'm talking about the falseness of the concept of the perfect man, spiritual perfection, god-men, war between ethereal forces of good and evil, spiritual protocols and rituals meant to manipulate supernatural beings,"enlightenment", communion with "divine beings" existing on another plane of existence. It makes no difference where you find this stuff or what flavor it has taken on from its cultural surroundings, it is essentially the same vain pursuit of the human imagination seeking an alternative to an uncomfortable reality and an unwillingness to accept things as they are.

I'm talking about the falseness of the concept of the perfect man, spiritual perfection, god-men, war between ethereal forces of good and evil, spiritual protocols and rituals meant to manipulate supernatural beings,"enlightenment", communion with "divine beings" existing on another plane of existence. It makes no difference where you find this stuff or what flavor it has taken on from its cultural surroundings, it is essentially the same vain pursuit of the human imagination seeking an alternative to an uncomfortable reality and an unwillingness to accept things as they are.

Well said. Here's an interesting video that explores that concept, the premise of the video is that, minus cultural influences, there are basically four types of stories that we tell ourselves in order to avoid having to deal with the finality of death. It deals not only with supernatural beliefs about death, but also some of the current supposed scientific means for avoiding death like the concept of transhumanism. The speaker makes the argument that these new, more scientifically accepted ideas of avoiding death are nothing more than a continuing search for the elixir of everlasting life, and it's hard to argue with his logic that as long as we can remember there has been this drive, movement, whatever you want to call it, to stave off death or to survive death and that today's scientists will likely be no more successful in this endeavor than the explorers, mystics or alchemists of the past, because things related to human biology are always more complicated than we expect and we always tend to overreach in our analysis of the potential of new technologies.

Still, even with that being said, I personally hope that he's wrong and I think that speaks volumes about the human bias in favor of ideas that tell us we're somehow going to live forever or survive death, which he also addresses in the video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back