• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Soupie

you might find this course interesting

The Mind is Flat - Free online course

All of their courses are free and are pretty good.

What are the forces shaping human behaviour? How do we think and decide? This course, from Professor Nick Chater and Warwick Business School, explores the origins of human rationality and irrationality.

Explore our illusion of mental depth
Our everyday conception of how our minds work is profoundly misleading. We are victims of an ‘illusion of mental depth’ - we imagine that our thoughts and behaviours arise from hidden motives and beliefs, and that we can understand ourselves by somehow uncovering these hidden forces, whether through therapy, lab experiments or brain scanning.

This course will suggest that this conception is not entirely correct, that we’re inventing these motives and beliefs at the very moment of decision. Professor Chater’s central proposition will be that there is no mental depth, that mental depth is an illusion.

Understand mystifying aspects of human behaviour
This course consists of six weeks of material. Each week we’ll start with a paradox, some mystifying aspect of human behaviour, before looking at insights into it, gained over decades of psychological and behavioural research. You’ll have a chance to try out a classic psychological experiment online.

Some of the really exciting things we’ll be looking at are:

• why we take risks and why we fear them;
  • how people succeed or fail to work with other people successfully;
  • how our behaviour, governed by a plethora of complicated psychological forces, makes sense at all;
  • the theory that we are creating an improvised character and trying to stay in our role;
  • and finally, how we can make society more coherent and create a better world.

What was your sense of things prior to this?
Essentially, that our experience of reality was identical to reality. Perhaps with the exception of color, which is pretty easy to grok as mind-dependent. But realizing that all our experiences are mind-dependent is an aha moment.

I knew that our experience of reality was different from reality, but I didn't appreciate what this implied about the nature of reality. That is, that reality is larger and richer and more complex than our experience of reality.

I sure wish you could be more specific! lol That's my main frustration with emergence.

So what organizes the neutral substrate? What triggering event? Or is it simply self-organizing and is there any point in asking when? Although you present a sequence here: neutral substrate, then consciousness, then matter, do you really mean it happens in this sequence? And if so, can you provide a time line?
Currently, I conceptualize the neutral substrate very much like I conceptualize the quantum substrate.

Why it exists in the first place, who knows?

But like the quantum substrate it is self-interactive, evolving, and differentiating.

I assume there are causal laws that govern its self-interaction, but at the same time wonder if causality isn't merely a human concept.

How do you respond to Artem's critiques above?
I'm not defending or advocating for Hoffman's interface theory. It's just that his interface theory helped me grok the significance of the our perception of reality being a subset of reality.

Seeking to explain all of reality (or certain aspects of it such as consciousness) from the perspective of a subset of reality (human experience, affectivity, and knowledge) may be impossible. A kind of new mysterianism.

As to it's being pretty wide open:

A counter-argument (please don't say this is now my "view" OK?) would be that any take reality comes from a mind/brain/black box that is based on "fitness" to the environment ... so we can be pretty sure a chimpanzee's take on the world is relatively similar to ours and that a bat or some deep-sea creature

42-53005836_bowayv.jpg

... could be pretty different, but still biological ... so that they tune in to the same sorts of things, the same energies that we do - at different frequencies or whatever ... or would you say there are cosmic whales out there feasting on quantum-plankton? A fanciful example, but what I'm getting at is something like how we might on the one hand think the people around us led very different lives, but really they are made up of the same few kinds of things in various proportions, similarly any thing that could have a take on reality would have something of this same kind of mix ... so that we could, at least theoretically, translate these experiences into something we could understand, like Geordi's visor in Star Trek?
An analogy might be the diversity of life: there are a multitude of morphologies on earth but overall terrestrial morphologies have a lot in common.

Yes, I do think our minds would be similar.

However, when it comes to our perceptions of reality, the gap between our perceptions of reality and reality in-itself would be profound.

So while the various species-specific perceptual interfaces with reality would have more in common overall than different, compared to mind-independent reality they would be profoundly different.

And even the comparison is a category error; on my view, conscious perception is a subset within reality. We can't ask what reality "really" looks like. It doesn't look, feel, smell, taste, sound like anything in the absence of perceptual systems; systems which organize into looks, feels, smells, tastes, sounds, etc.

Yes, perceptual systems are subsets within reality and thus are constituted of reality.

But if these perceptual systems did not form within reality and organize into looks, feels, smells, etc then looks, feels, smells wouldn't exist within reality.

"the hard problem" - the problem is, this approach doesn't get rid of the hard problem - I posted this question above ... the physicalist has a hard problem in explaining consciousness, the idealist has the hard problem of explaining the physical - Hoffman himself says he has to derive QM from consciousness and if he doesn't, he will have failed - has he done this?
You're taking some liberties there. This approach does strongly address the hard problem.

Q: How does consciousness derive from the physical?

A: It doesn't. The physical is merely our perceptual representation of a reality existing at a deeper causal level. The level at which we—conscious, perceiving entities—arise.

The approach above is not an Idealist approach. The neutral substrate is neither fundamentally consciousness nor physical. Consciousness and matter emerge from this neutral substrate as it intra-acts, evolves, and differentiates. There are other minds that emerge within this neutral substrate. And the laws of physics (as we perceive them) may correlate with causal laws at the level of this neutral substrate.

[For what it's worth, @ufology would likely just consider this neutral substrate to be physical. And our conscious perceptions of this neutral substrate to be a special subset within it. It would stretch the meaning of what is currently considered physical, but he's articulated as much before, making a distinction between the material and the physical. At the same time, he seems confident that consciousness supervenes at the neural level so it's a moot point really.]

Last edited:
Essentially, that our experience of reality was identical to reality. Perhaps with the exception of color, which is pretty easy to grok as mind-dependent. But realizing that all our experiences are mind-dependent is an aha moment.

I knew that our experience of reality was different from reality, but I didn't appreciate what this implied about the nature of reality. That is, that reality is larger and richer and more complex than our experience of reality.

Currently, I conceptualize the neutral substrate very much like I conceptualize the quantum substrate.

But like the quantum substrate it is self-interactive, evolving, and differentiating.

I assume there are causal laws that govern its self-interaction, but at the same time wonder if causality isn't merely a human concept.

I'm not defending or advocating for Hoffman's interface theory. It's just that his interface theory helped me grok the significance of the our perception of reality being a subset of reality.

Seeking to explain all of reality (or certain aspects of it such as consciousness) from the perspective of a subset of reality (human experience, affectivity, and knowledge) may be impossible. A kind of new mysterianism.

An analogy might be the diversity of life: there are a multitude of morphologies on earth but overall terrestrial morphologies have a lot in common.

However, when it comes to our perceptions of reality, the gap between our perceptions of reality and reality in-itself would be profound.

So while the various species-specific perceptual interfaces with reality would have more in common overall than different, compared to mind-independent reality they would be profoundly different.

And even the comparison is a category error; on my view, conscious perception is a subset within reality. We can't ask what reality "really" looks like. It doesn't look, feel, smell, taste, sound like anything in the absence of perceptual systems; systems which organize into looks, feels, smells, tastes, sounds, etc.

Yes, perceptual systems are subsets within reality and thus are constituted of reality.

But if these perceptual systems did not form within reality and organize into looks, feels, smells, etc then looks, feels, smells wouldn't exist within reality.

You're taking some liberties there. This approach does strongly address the hard problem.

A: It doesn't. The physical is merely our perceptual representation of a reality existing at a deeper causal level. The level at which we—conscious, perceiving entities—arise.

The approach above is not an Idealist approach. The neutral substrate is neither fundamentally consciousness nor physical. Consciousness and matter emerge from this neutral substrate as it intra-acts, evolves, and differentiates. There are other minds that emerge within this neutral substrate. And the laws of physics (as we perceive them) may correlate with causal laws at the level of this neutral substrate.

[For what it's worth, @ufology would likely just consider this neutral substrate to be physical. And our conscious perceptions of this neutral substrate to be a special subset within it. It would stretch the meaning of what is currently considered physical, but he's articulated as much before, making a distinction between the material and the physical. At the same time, he seems confident that consciousness supervenes at the neural level so it's a moot point really.]

The last part was based on Hoffman's approach ... That he said he had to derive QM ... So not taking liberties but if that's not your view it doesn't matter.

Many thanks to Steve for capably honing in on what is claimed in Hoffman’s ‘interface’ theory and providing us with the various critical perspectives brought to those claims by other researchers. Through persistent and astute dialogue with Soupie, Steve has also enabled Soupie to express his own interpretations of Hoffman’s theory more fully and clearly. It’s clear that Hoffman’s theory is not falsifiable, but it does provoke ontological speculations that are philosophically interesting and also contributes to the interdisciplinary field of Consciousness Studies, not by providing a solution to the hard problem but by expanding the range of speculations that can be pursued in seeking an understanding of it. Bravo!!!

I’ve been reading a paper on the coherence of Heidegger’s early and late thought that I recommend as demonstrating an ontological inquiry comparable to Hoffman’s but cast in terms of the fundamental philosophical concern with exploring the nature of being and Being, begun by Aristotle and taken up most fully in our time by Heidegger. This paper by Thomas Sheehan entitled “The Turn” is the most lucid analysis of Heidegger’s thought I’ve yet come across.

http://religiousstudies.stanford.edu/WWW/Sheehan/pdf/1 2010 THE TURN.pdf

Last edited:

Hoffman might have made it easier for you to come to this realization but many philosophers of mind, of science, and of knowledge have also provided grounds for this realization. I think we need to remind ourselves of the trilemma recognized and explicated by philosophers from Sextus Empiricus to Hans Albert, which is understood by most philosophers in the disciplines I named and others.

My core question at this point is: can a humanly devised ontological concept of the yet unknowable nature of the 'Reality of All-That-Is' efface/undo the meaning -- the significance -- of the 'subset of reality' in which we humans find ourselves existing, feeling, thinking, caring, and acting, individually and in concert with others, in the production of some cultural/economic/political 'worlds' that produce unnecessary suffering alongside other cultural/economic/political 'worlds', on the same planet, that work to prevent unnecessary suffering?

That this can happen, and has happened, in human history up to the present is a demonstration of the reality of free will in human beings. Does Hoffman's 'interface' theory account for demonstrable free will in human beings?

When a human is making quotations about "other information" if they thought about their own self as they make these quotations, not in any of the quotation do you believe that you personally do not exist. You own your own presence as a human, a self and a consciousness and then speak about, think about other information.

Yet the other information you speak about is a non identifying existence as if the conscious presence of the human self does not exist. The motivating reasoning for this situation is because the motivated causation of your review as a scientist is trying to identify and data base consciousness. You are wanting to consider the non existence of the other human presence and then to own the non existence of the other human presence in an artificial data base.

This is the only reason why consciousness has been given a title of belonging to a paranormal condition.....rather than the reality of how does the paranormal condition affect consciousness.

We know that the paranormal condition affects consciousness because we give the identification of the information values that we personally as a self do not own. Therefore we are already fully informed about our own conscious self as a self owned, a self manifested ownership.

And when a human considers consciousness as if it has some "other" identification, think about the reality of consciousness. Only in your own living presence is the consciousness active. If you died, you observe by the observation that the human consciousness no longer is enabled to express its ownership.

Yet the paranormal condition that has affected our life and mind states information still exists afterwards. Even the scientific mind states that this is evidence as a consideration of death. The only after effect is the recording of the human lived experience, formed in the atmosphere via the photon interaction with the life. This is called by the human psyche a past life record...which I have personally watched myself as a psychic state.

Therefore when a human mind makes statements about conditions that it is aware of, the science is correct, the psychic is correct because the energy that exists afterwards is the record.

What I also understand about the record is that it can be re-used by the androgynous light spirit who has re-visited in the image of a past life, as the paranormal effect of conscious reasoning. And to reason that the androgynous spirit in light is real is to reason the interactive consideration of the experience.

I have read stories where the human visiting as a re-emergence stated, well my grandmother was not a loving person whilst she lived. Yet in the interaction of the visit the androgynous presence communicated as the grandmother and was very loving. It made the experience be questioned as to the condition that caused the grandmother to now be reviewed as a loving visitor.

Last edited:

"Yes, perceptual systems are subsets within reality and thus are constituted of reality.
But if these perceptual systems did not form within reality and organize into looks, feels, smells, etc then looks, feels, smells wouldn't exist within reality."

For me the interesting acknowledgment is that 'perceptual systems' do form in the subset of Reality in which we find ourselves existing, constituting meaningful 'worlds' upon the basic physical givenness of 'earth'. [see Heidegger's late essay elaborating the differences between 'earth' and 'world', entitled "The Origin of the Work of Art."]

The issue of interest, then, seems to be the challenge of finding out how -- understanding how -- whatever characterizes and operationalizes the nature of All-That-Is produces life, consciousness, and resulting perspectives on 'what-is' within local subsets of Reality.

Without knowing the nature of 'ultimate causes' behind the nature of our experienced being, we remain faced with the problems of understanding what we and our consciousnesses are and working out practical and ethical ways of meeting the obligations that our consciousnesses, experiences, and minds have laid upon us. Heidegger refers to this existential situation as our Appropriation by Being to maintain being because being is in itself expressive and generative of meaning. Here's a quote from Heidegger that Sheehan uses on the way to clarifying our understanding the nature of the Being-being relationship in Heidegger's ontology:

"The meaning-giving source [in Being] of the meaning of the meaningful – also called “meaning-itself” or “meaning-as-such” – refers to the a priori condition whereby anything meaningful [in being] has its meaning. The early Heidegger analyzed this source of meaning as the bond of “being-in” and “world.” This is the man-meaning bond that he originally called In-der-Welt-sein and later on called Lichtung-sein (GA 69:101.12).
This man-meaning phenomenon will eventually be named Ereignis, the appropriating of man to the task of sustaining meaning-giving (GA 65: 261.25-6 = CP 184.27-9)."

The bracketed interpolations of [Being] and [being] in the above quotations are mine, inserted to help ease nonphilosophers, or those who have not read Heidegger in particular, into comprehension of his ontological philosophy. I do recommend that everyone read the Sheehan paper to enable us to weigh Heidegger's ontology against Hoffman's. Why do we need to do this? Because while neither ontology can be proved valid, these two ontologies result in entirely different views of ourselves and our obligations in and to the local world in which we exist.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not a dualist according to this diagram as I don't see matter and consciousness in separate circles.

In neutral monism traditionally the substrate has aspects of both but is neither, but here it seems we start with a neutral substrate then derive consciousness ... then derive matter ... is that correct?

Neutral Monism: The fundamental substrate is neither consciousness nor matter. That is, consciousness is derivative of this neutral substrate, and matter is derivative of consciousness (i.e., matter is our perceptual representation of the neutral substrate).

The last is your view? It seems to contrast with definitions of neutral monism as here:

In the philosophy of mind, neutral monism is the view that the mental and the physical are two ways of organizing or describing the same elements, which are themselves "neutral", that is, neither physical nor mental. This view denies that the mental and the physical are two fundamentally different things.

in that you seem to be saying that consciousness is derived from the neutral substrate, which leads to the question: how is consciousness derived from the neutral substrate? and that matter then is derivative of consciousness ... when do these things occur, when does consciousness derive from the neutral substrate? Is there a triggering event for the derivation? The same questions for matter, when does consciousness derive matter? it has to come when there are perceptions ... that it is our perceptual representation of the neutral substrate out of which consciousness has been derived ... ?

How do we know this is the case, rather than case 2, which it seems could appear exactly the same way to us ... how do we know matter is how we see the neutral substrate out of which consciousness is derived, rather than matter is how we see matter out of which consciousness is arrived?

In neutral monism traditionally the substrate has aspects of both but is neither, but here it seems we start with a neutral substrate then derive consciousness ... then derive matter ... is that correct?

. . . In neutral monism traditionally the substrate has aspects of both but is neither, but here it seems we start with a neutral substrate then derive consciousness ... then derive matter ... is that correct?

If it is, Hoffman has constructed a far harder problem than Chalmers's 'hard problem', and one that by comparison with C's hard problem is beyond falsification in the reality/subset of reality in which we exist. Hoffman's theory leaves us asking 'how many subsets of reality exist?' and 'what are they like?', questions answerable only by a being possessing a comprehensive view from everywhere and everywhen.

Through persistent and astute dialogue with Soupie, Steve has also enabled Soupie to express his own interpretations of Hoffman’s theory more fully and clearly. It’s clear that Hoffman’s theory is not falsifiable, but it does provoke ontological speculations that are philosophically interesting and also contributes to the interdisciplinary field of Consciousness Studies, not by providing a solution to the hard problem but by expanding the range of speculations that can be pursued in seeking an understanding of it. Bravo!!!
Yes, I'd like to thank @smcder for his patient persistence in trying to understand my ways of thinking about consciousness.

The other insight, I believe, that comes from this approach to consciousness involves mental causation (and even potentially free will).

Since on this approach consciousness (including our perceptions of reality in-itself) exist on a causal level below physical reality (i.e., our perceptions of reality in-itself), then it follows that our consciousness has causal primacy over the physical.

Another, perhaps confusing, way of saying this is that since consciousness is a subset of reality, and physical reality a subset of consciousness, our consciousness has causal influence within reality in-itself. So, yes, the details are vague and even non-existent, but compare this to physical models of consciousness wherein consciousness is causally impotent and epiphenomenal.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving holiday.

I implore you to read the linked paper, Taylor Carman, "The Body in Husserl and Merleau-Ponty," because it presents far more clearly and comprehensively than I have been capable of doing the ability of Merleau-Ponty's phenomenological philosophy to resolve the dualistic thinking -- and the 'mind-body problem' -- that continue to permeate most theories of consciousness and perception.

http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~hdreyfus/188_s05/pdf/Carman_Body.pdf

Last edited:
I'll read it

I implore you to read the linked paper, Taylor Carman, "The Body in Husserl and Merleau-Ponty," because it presents far more clearly and comprehensively than I have been capable of doing the ability of Merleau-Ponty's phenomenological philosophy to resolve the dualistic thinking -- and the 'mind-body problem' -- that continue to permeate most theories of consciousness and perception.

I'll read it ... May be tonight or tomorrow.

Just getting started:

For Merleau-Ponty, by contrast, getting out from under the cloud of the mind-body problem demands that we come to recognize the body, even purely descriptively, as the place where consciousness and reality in fact come to occupy the very same conceptual space.

It is important to keep in mind that Husserl’s account of “the body” is an account of the lived or personal body (Leib), not of “bodies” (Körper) understood simply as material objects. The distinction is crucial. Indeed, as Strawson has argued, the mind-body problem, traditionally conceived, thrives on a concept of body that is systematically ambiguous between persons and nonpersons. And indeed, outside the seminar room we all immediately acknowledge a basic, if only gradual, difference between embodied agents and mere physical things. In the same spirit, it would seem, Husserl writes, “what we have to set over against material nature as a second kind of reality is not the ‘soul,’ but the concrete unity of body and soul, the human (or animal) subject”

Dr. Paul Broks: Imaginal Reality

Abstract

Some scholars have argued (against the trend) that for a period in Greek history the gods appeared as vividly real persons and not merely personifications of abstract ideas. This is not to say that they were really, truly, objectively, out there in the real world, but, nevertheless, they went well beyond products of the modern imagination, even to the extent of possessing an autonomous influence in shaping mortal minds and behaviour. In Charles Boer’s terms, the gods were neither “real” nor purely “imagined” but, rather, figures of a third realm of “imaginal reality”.

With the Greek gods as a backdrop, I will examine the conventional partition of “real” and “imagined” and show that in certain altered states of consciousness, as experienced in aware sleep paralysis, for example, and psychosis, the partition breaks down. In conclusion, I will consider the general implications for an understanding of modern Western notions of selfhood and consciousness.

@Burnt State

Max Velmans is releasing an updated version of his book Understanding Consciousness.

Snippet:

In spite of their depth of commitment to one or another theoretical pos-
ition, many philosophers and scientists recognise that this classical dualist
versus materialist debate leaves an uneasy tension. While dualism seems to be
inconsistent with the findings of materialist science, materialist reductionism
seems to be inconsistent with the evidence of ordinary experience. Our chal-
lenge is to understand consciousness in a way that does justice to both. With
this in mind, Part II of this book, ‘A new analysis: how to marry science with
experience’, goes back to first principles. Rather than seeking to defend any
standard position, we start in Chapter 6 with a closer examination of experi-
ence itself. This has a surprising consequence. If one does this with care the
old boundaries that separate the ‘contents of consciousness’ from what we
usually think of as the ‘physical world’ can be seen to be drawn in the wrong
place! What we normally think of as the ‘physical world’ is actually a
phenomenal world or world of appearances. This turns the mind/body prob-
lem round on its axis as it forces one to re-examine how the ‘contents of
consciousness’ relate to what we normally think of as the ‘physical world’.

There are, however, a number of ways in which these altered relationships can
be understood. Chapter 7 compares three major, current alternatives, ‘direct-
realist physicalism’, ‘biological naturalism’ and ‘reflexive monism’ – and
Chapter 8 provides a deeper analysis of how the contents of consciousness,
in the form of a phenomenal world, relate to the world described by theor-
etical physics. This broadened understanding of consciousness also forces
one to completely re-examine the interrelation of subjective, intersubjective
and ‘objective’ knowledge, along with the nature of empirical science, the
topic of Chapter 9. To complete this reanalysis we finally turn to how the
contents of human consciousness relate to what is happening in the human
brain. Chapter 10 presents a close examination of how phenomenal experi-
ences relate to the details of human information processing, and Chapter 11
summarises what is known about the neural causal antecedents and correlates
of such experiences – with some further surprising conclusions. At first glance,
these intricate relationships of consciousness, mind, matter and knowledge
seem to form an impenetrable ‘world knot’. But, as far as I can tell, it is
possible to unravel it, step by simple step, in a way that is consistent with the
findings of science and with common sense. ...

Part III of this book on ‘reflexive monism’ provides a new synthesis.
Chapters 12 and 13 suggest what consciousness is and what it does. Chapter
14 then places consciousness within nature, developing a form of reflexive
monism that treats human consciousness as just one manifestation of a
wider self-conscious universe. Although the route to this position is new,
the position itself is ancient. I find this reassuring. Understanding con-
sciousness requires us to move from understanding the things we are
conscious of, to understanding our role as conscious observers, and then
to consciousness itself – an act of self-reflection which requires an outward
journey and a return.
If the place of return does not seem familiar, it is
probably the wrong place. ...

Our conscious lives are the sea in which we swim. So it is not surprising that
consciousness is difficult to understand. We consciously experience many
different things, and we can think about the things that we experience. But it
is not so easy to experience or think about consciousness itself. Given this, it is
common within philosophy and science to identify consciousness with some-
thing smaller than itself, for example with some thing that we can observe,
such as a state of the brain, or with some aspect of what we experience, such
as ‘thought’ or ‘language’.
One of the themes of this book is that one can
understand consciousness without reducing it in this way.

Attachments

• Understanding_Consciousness_Extract-1.pdf
    899.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Dr. Paul Broks: Imaginal Reality
Abstract
Some scholars have argued (against the trend) that for a period in Greek history the gods appeared as vividly real persons and not merely personifications of abstract ideas. This is not to say that they were really, truly, objectively, out there in the real world, but, nevertheless, they went well beyond products of the modern imagination, even to the extent of possessing an autonomous influence in shaping mortal minds and behaviour. In Charles Boer’s terms, the gods were neither “real” nor purely “imagined” but, rather, figures of a third realm of “imaginal reality”.

With the Greek gods as a backdrop, I will examine the conventional partition of “real” and “imagined” and show that in certain altered states of consciousness, as experienced in aware sleep paralysis, for example, and psychosis, the partition breaks down. In conclusion, I will consider the general implications for an understanding of modern Western notions of selfhood and consciousness.

Humans believe many things, some on the basis of spiritual and other anomalous experiences, many on the basis of what they have been made to believe by the ideas and representations of reality expressed by the powers that be in their situated times and places. Here's a relevant and interesting paragraph I came across today :

"Peter Weiss (The Aesthetics of Resistance):

After all, the Hellenes had always transposed the historical events to a level of symbols in order to make them more difficult to grasp, thereby preserving the gap between the initiates and the lower populace. The concept of Greek civilization had usually been appreciated as the idea of supreme cultural development. But this idea would have been nothing without its stable foundation. At the top the thought of democracy emerged, the doctrine of the unity and equality of human beings. At the bottom the maltreated laborers, kept away from all rights. The artistic sculptures and the buildings with columns, all commissioned by the propertied classes, were carried by hecatombs of chained bodies. The noble proportions could detach themselves from dankness and putrescence. The patriarchs bluntly established the separation, which was the prerequisite for their economic system. The priests and the philosophers validated themselves in this order, making sure that the masses were kept in check by superstitious dread, anyone who so much as dared to articulate a word of enlightenment was expelled. Slaveholders and slaves, the former allied with supernatural powers, glorifying their thievery in poetry, the latter, existing only as beasts, as living tools, jointly they formed the two-part structure that we were still struggling to dismantle today. Greek civilization rested on unspeakable plundering, wars were ceaselessly fought to conquer slaves, and it was supposed to be a great boon for the rounded-up creatures to be allowed to serve such exquisite masters."

Isola di Rifiuti: June 2006

Max Velmans is releasing an updated version of his book Understanding Consciousness.

Snippet:

In spite of their depth of commitment to one or another theoretical pos-
ition, many philosophers and scientists recognise that this classical dualist
versus materialist debate leaves an uneasy tension. While dualism seems to be
inconsistent with the findings of materialist science, materialist reductionism
seems to be inconsistent with the evidence of ordinary experience. Our chal-
lenge is to understand consciousness in a way that does justice to both. With
this in mind, Part II of this book, ‘A new analysis: how to marry science with
experience’, goes back to first principles. Rather than seeking to defend any
standard position, we start in Chapter 6 with a closer examination of experi-
ence itself. This has a surprising consequence. If one does this with care the
old boundaries that separate the ‘contents of consciousness’ from what we
usually think of as the ‘physical world’ can be seen to be drawn in the wrong
place! What we normally think of as the ‘physical world’ is actually a
phenomenal world or world of appearances. This turns the mind/body prob-
lem round on its axis as it forces one to re-examine how the ‘contents of
consciousness’ relate to what we normally think of as the ‘physical world’.

There are, however, a number of ways in which these altered relationships can
be understood. Chapter 7 compares three major, current alternatives, ‘direct-
realist physicalism’, ‘biological naturalism’ and ‘reflexive monism’ – and
Chapter 8 provides a deeper analysis of how the contents of consciousness,
in the form of a phenomenal world, relate to the world described by theor-
etical physics. This broadened understanding of consciousness also forces
one to completely re-examine the interrelation of subjective, intersubjective
and ‘objective’ knowledge, along with the nature of empirical science, the
topic of Chapter 9. To complete this reanalysis we finally turn to how the
contents of human consciousness relate to what is happening in the human
brain. Chapter 10 presents a close examination of how phenomenal experi-
ences relate to the details of human information processing, and Chapter 11
summarises what is known about the neural causal antecedents and correlates
of such experiences – with some further surprising conclusions. At first glance,
these intricate relationships of consciousness, mind, matter and knowledge
seem to form an impenetrable ‘world knot’. But, as far as I can tell, it is
possible to unravel it, step by simple step, in a way that is consistent with the
findings of science and with common sense. ...

Part III of this book on ‘reflexive monism’ provides a new synthesis.
Chapters 12 and 13 suggest what consciousness is and what it does. Chapter
14 then places consciousness within nature, developing a form of reflexive
monism that treats human consciousness as just one manifestation of a
wider self-conscious universe. Although the route to this position is new,
the position itself is ancient. I find this reassuring. Understanding con-
sciousness requires us to move from understanding the things we are
conscious of, to understanding our role as conscious observers, and then
to consciousness itself – an act of self-reflection which requires an outward
journey and a return.
If the place of return does not seem familiar, it is
probably the wrong place. ...

Our conscious lives are the sea in which we swim. So it is not surprising that
consciousness is difficult to understand. We consciously experience many
different things, and we can think about the things that we experience. But it
is not so easy to experience or think about consciousness itself. Given this, it is
common within philosophy and science to identify consciousness with some-
thing smaller than itself, for example with some thing that we can observe,
such as a state of the brain, or with some aspect of what we experience, such
as ‘thought’ or ‘language’.
One of the themes of this book is that one can
understand consciousness without reducing it in this way.

Great thanks for posting this link to extracts from the second edition of Velmans's Understanding Consciousness. There is also an extensive sample of this book available at amazon. Btw, it looks like the second edition was published in 2009. It's priced too high at nearly $60 for both a hard copy and a Kindle download, so the library offers us all the best access to the book as a whole. Velmans has also shared much of his work at academia.edu, and I'm about to check there to see if there's online access to the whole book. If not there should at least be some chapters from the book accessible there.

Since Velmans has deeply explored and clarifies every disciplinary approach involved in the contemporary field of Consciousness Studies, I think it would be productive of mutual understanding in our continuing discussions if we all read this text and discuss it chapter by chapter, part by part. What do y'all think?

If we can't find an online text, my plan is to get the book from my local library and copy it in its entirety at Kinko's. Doing so is not expensive except in terms of time spent, and in cases of books as informative as this one I find it well worth the time.

A chapter from an interesting book now available in its entirety online -- David Michael Levin, The Philosopher's Gaze: Modernity in the Shadows of Enlightenment, New Edition

{book description at amazon: "David Michael Levin's ongoing exploration of the moral character and enlightenment-potential of vision takes a new direction in The Philosopher's Gaze. Levin examines texts by Descartes, Husserl, Wittgenstein, Nietzsche, Heidegger, Benjamin, Merleau-Ponty, and Lévinas, using our culturally dominant mode of perception and the philosophical discourse it has generated as the site for his critical reflections on the moral culture in which we are living.

In Levin's view, all these philosophers attempted to understand, one way or another, the distinctive pathologies of the modern age. But every one also attempted to envision—if only through the faintest of traces, traces of mutual recognition, traces of another way of looking and seeing—the prospects for a radically different lifeworld. The world, after all, inevitably reflects back to us the character, the reach and range, of our vision.

In these provocative essays, the author draws on the language of hermeneutical phenomenology and at the same time refines phenomenology itself as a method of working with our experience and thinking critically about the culture in which we live."}

The Discursive Construction of the Philosophical Gaze

In the Phaedo , Plato writes that Socrates must "be careful not to suffer the misfortune that befalls people who look at and observe the sun during an eclipse. For people may harm their eyesight unless they look at its image
ft896nb5sx_00000.gif
reflected in water or in some similar medium."[1] But he also meant, allegorically, a danger even greater, in a sense, than the one that could befall one blinded by the sun: the danger, namely, that befalls one who is spellbound by shadows, reflections, and images—the illusions that hold our gaze in the material world. Thus the affirmation of a turning-away, decisive for the philosophical gaze: "I thought of that danger, and I was afraid that my soul would be blinded if I looked at things
ft896nb5sx_00001.gif
with my eyes or tried to apprehend them with any of my senses. So I thought I must have recourse to
ft896nb5sx_00002.gif
and examine in them the truth
ft896nb5sx_00003.gif
of beings."[2] In this testimony, Plato remarks the distinctively philosophical movement (a conversion, or turning, a
ft896nb5sx_00004.gif
of vision—the progression from the activity of eyes obsessed with and entangled in the visible world to a contemplative, theoretical vision dedicated to knowledge of the Forms, timeless, eternal Ideas visible only to the discursive intellect of the rational psyche.

For Plato, to see the Forms of the Good and the True is to know the Forms of the Good and the True. And to know these Forms, one cannot help but be morally good and care about (care for, love) the truth. In The Republic , Socrates addresses his interlocutor, saying:

"For surely, Adeimantus, the man whose mind is truly fixed on eternal realities has no leisure to turn his eyes downward upon the petty affairs of men, engaging in such strife with them that he becomes full of envy and hate, but fixes his gaze upon the things of the eternal and unchanging order, and seeing that they neither wrong nor are wronged by one another, but all exist in harmony as reason bids, he will endeavour to imitate them, and, in so far as possible, to form himself in their likeness and assimilate himself to them. Or do you think it possible not to imitate the things to which anyone attaches himself with admiration? (Book VI, 500b–c)"

Commenting on this passage, Charles Taylor writes that "reason reaches its fulness in the vision of the larger order, which is also a vision of the Good. . . . Once reason is substantively defined, once a correct vision of the order is criterial to rationality, then our becoming rational ought not most perspicuously to be described as something that takes place in[side] us, but rather better as our connecting up to the larger order in which we are placed."[3]

This conversion of vision involves a certain ascent: obedient to the axis that connects earth and sky, the dialectical movement that begins with two eyes caught in the confusion of the sensuous, material life of the world and ends in the asceticism of the philosopher's monothetic, contemplative gaze, fixed on, and also fixed by, the immutable Forms, begins well with the humility of a gaze looking up at the stars: "for I conceive that, as the eyes are designed to look up at the stars, so are the ears to hear harmonious motions" (Republic , book VII, 530).

In his Critique of Practical Reason, Immanuel Kant invokes the stars to evoke, to awaken, the moral sensibility:

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. I do not merely conjecture them and seek them as though obscured in darkness or in the transcendent region beyond my horizon: I see them before me, and I associate them directly with the consciousness of my own existence.[4]"

What must be the effect, then, of the ever increasing hiddenness—or, say, withdrawal—of the starry heavens and the horizon? Kant's words are provocative, calling for a critical look at our contemporary life-world. This is a world in which, increasingly, our city lights and industrial pollution shut out the light of the stars, while our tall city buildings and hurried way of living keep us alienated from the incommensurability that is the measure of the horizon. In contrast to the life Kant knew in eighteenth-century Königsberg, our lives of today are no longer measured by the height of the stars and the depth of the horizon. How then can the character of the philosopher's vision be tried and measured, challenged and questioned?

For Plato, the contemplative vision of the philosopher, a "perception" of the absolute Good and the absolute Truth, can initially be understood, however, only in terms of an analogy that depends on an understanding of the perception of sensuous Forms (Republic , book VII, 532). Unlike the worldly knowledge we achieve with eyes still attached to the earth, the knowledge achieved by the philosopher's gaze is a knowledge free of images, shadows, reflections: it is a knowledge free of all sensuous and material limitations, and it is a knowledge free of perspectivism and its "distortions," grasped all at once and once and for all (book VI, 500–11).

For philosophers from Plato to Descartes, Hobbes, and Locke, the philosopher's vision is an expression of the "natural light" of reason (Republic , book VII, 532). This light is an inner light, generated by the power of reason. Emotions are said to be dark and confusing, but reason sheds its light on things and leads us to clarity and enlightenment. If, as Plato says (at Republic, book VI, 508), light is the "noble bond" between sight and the visible world, gracefully withdrawing from notice into the invisibility of a condition taken for granted, the light of reason is that which binds us to the ideality of a vision exceeding the visible in its reach and range, a vision that can never be satisfied with what has taken place within the realm of the visible.

This light of reason, once, long ago, a manifestation of the joy attending an indwelling sense of divinity and imaged as the aura or aureole that surrounds the head, but now too reduced, too secular, too subjective, too disenchanted, to be experienced and rendered in this way, now takes nothing for granted—unless this be the event of the gift of light itself, that light by grace of which a field of visibility is first opened up for the projective activity of vision. Today, having repudiated the light of this wondrous event as mythic nonsense and extinguished the inner light of reason in the brightness of mere metaphor, vision must now pass through a medium it can only understand in the languages of physics, optics, and biochemistry, focusing on the objects made visible by the event of a gift it ignores.

In "Philosophy and the Crisis of European Man," Edmund Husserl said: "Man becomes the disinterested spectator [uninteressierter Zuschauer ], overseer of the world; in other words, he becomes a philosopher."[5] For Plato and Aristotle, the philosopher's gaze must be disciplined; it must be steadied in a calm and dispassionate state. As Plato says in the Meno , to be steady in virtue, reliably disposed, to know what virtue is, one needs a "steady" gaze.[6] But it is not only a question of steadying the gaze; its object too must be such that a steady, calm, dispassionate gaze is possible. Thus the object must be an ideal Form, timeless and unchanging. Only then can the gaze participate in the world of perception and be a guide to virtuous action.

This ascetic philosophical gaze, informed by a theoretical fixation on the Forms, has today, of course, lost its compass: the Forms have been swept away by the winds of subjectivity, cynical if not skeptical about the claims of objective reason. Without its proper object, such a gaze vanishes, probably forever, leaving the traces of its once glorious sovereignty only in the dark ink of letters that now, contrary to original intention, can only mourn and commemorate its historically fated passage.

The gaze of today makes its way through a thoroughly disenchanted landscape, attentive only to the objects at the end of its immediate interests. We take its measure not by the bounds of the horizon, nor by the boundless depths of the beyond, into which the horizon opens, but by the calculated ratios of loss and gain. The glitter of false gold, the dazzling display of civilization's latest instruments and commodities, the ornaments of material culture, hold the gaze in their power, blinding it to the suffering that demands the light and the darkness of truth, that by grace of which alone all our ways of seeing are first made possible. Lost in the subjectivity of perspectivism, we lose all perspective on our lives. We are easily distracted by our obsessions, the objects they inhabit rendered visible according to the laws of desire and an economy of illusory promises.

To the extent that the world is as it is in correspondence to the character of our vision, to the extent that the world is as it is as a function of this vision, its projection and reflection, one way to change the world would be to change the way we see things. Perhaps no one has articulated this point with more eloquence than Michel Foucault. In an interview subsequently given the title "Questions of Method," Foucault said: "My project is to contribute to changing certain things in people's ways of perceiving and doing things, to participate in this difficult displacement of forms of sensibility and thresholds of tolerance."[7] And in The Use of Pleasure , he wrote: "There are times in life when the question of knowing if one can think differently than one thinks, and perceive differently than one sees, is absolutely necessary if one is to go on looking and reflecting at all."[8]

In his Ethics, Spinoza formulated as a proposition of some importance the thought that "the more capable the body is of being affected in many ways, and affecting external bodies in many ways, the more capable of thinking is the mind."[9] All the commentaries by philosophers have ignored the implicitly radical significance of this proposition: the necessary implication of the body in the transformations that would constitute the "improvement" or enlightenment of the mind. All the commentaries have concentrated their attention on the capability and enlargement of the mind. But the strict parallelism that obtains between intellect and body means that, for every alteration of the mind, there must be a corresponding alteration of the body. And there is no reason to suppose that alterations of the body must be conceptualized only from the standpoint of the mind. Suppose, then, the possibility of a more enlightened, more ethically capable embodiment. What would this involve? What would it be like? How, for example, might we conceive a vision more capable of being affected in many ways, and affecting external bodies in many ways? How might a gaze with an historically different character be brought into being, preparing, perhaps, for the advent of a new epoch, a new beginning for humanity, and for the entire world of our beholding?

Borrowing one of Hegel's numerous "heliotropes," vision-generated, vision-saturated tropes especially frequent in his thinking about the philosophy of history, we may want now to ask ourselves how—in so far as it is within the reach and range of our present historical capabilities—we would like to, and actually might, alter the (intentional) character of our vision, to "greet together the dawn of a better time."[10]

Since the time of its beginning, Western philosophy has been a philosophy of light, vision, and enlightenment. Its principal methods have been intuition, reflection, speculation, and insight, while evidence has served as its measure of truth, and clear and distinct ideas have represented its objective. Moreover, in the discourse itself, metaphors drawn from light and vision have figured in ways that cannot always be eliminated by substitution without altering truth or meaning. This connection between philosophical thought and discourse has recently been subjected to critical questioning. To a considerable extent, the stimulus for such questioning has come, I think, from the so-called linguistic turn in philosophy, which has obliged philosophers to turn their critical reflection onto the rhetorical features of philosophical discourse, its own ways of using language, and its hitherto unexamined assumptions about the relationship between writing and thought. The turn to language must be situated, however, within a much larger narrative. If it has unquestionably been stimulated by new technologies and a revolution in the forms of communication that is releasing ever new potentials, it has also been promoted by new conditions of social life—multiculturalism, ethnic diversity, and other forms of social heterogeneity, which have made it necessary for democracies to improve the processes and procedures of social recognition and communication on which the legitimacy and effectiveness of their political institutions ultimately depend.

To be sure, the philosophical gaze is no longer turned away from the world, directed upon the timeless essences of an absolute, objective order. Nor is it obsessed with a movement of radical transcendence, be this a new theology, a new theodicy, or even the image of a future utopia. But the return of the gaze to the immanence of worldly matters, its inevitable subjective turn, acknowledging its historicity, its situatedness, its relativity, its finitude, has not been an easy transition. Deprived of the theoretical objectivity it once enjoyed, deprived of the omniscience and omnipotence it once could claim, denied the benefit of radical transcendence, how can the philosopher's gaze continue its critical function? How can it assume a position of authority? How can it justify a claim to truth? What happens to this gaze when it is reduced to perception, taking place without higher refuge in the midst of the commonplace? And in the name of what more enlightened potential for vision can the philosopher undertake the rational reconstruction of ordinary sight? How can the philosopher justify programs for the reform of visual perception, making it less susceptible to illusion and deception—or at least more guarded, more cautious in its claims?

In The Social Contract, Jean-Jacques Rousseau indicates how important it is that citizens learn to "see objects as they are, and sometimes as they ought to appear."[11] How, then, can the philosopher address our perception, so that we see through ideological distortions, recognize the power plays behind false appearances for what they really are, and subject the political processes of democracy to the public scrutiny that keeps them open and honest? How can the critical method of dialectical thinking be embodied in looking, seeing, and observing?

In Minima Moralia, Adorno remarks that "knowledge must indeed present the fatally rectilinear succession of victory and defeat, but should also address itself to those things which were not embraced by this dynamic, which fell by the wayside—what might be called the waste products and blind spots that have escaped the dialectic. . . . What transcends the ruling society is not only the potentiality it develops but also all that which did not fit properly into the laws of historical movement."[12] (Foucault's peculiar optics could be read as continuing precisely this project.) Overcoming blind spots recalls a thesis that Karl Marx advanced in his 1844 manuscripts: "The cultivation of the five senses is the work of all previous history."[13] Marx argued there that "sense which is subservient to crude needs has only a restricted meaning. . . . Thus, the objective realization of the human essence, both theoretically and practically, is necessary in order to humanize man's senses, and also to create the human senses corresponding to all the wealth of human and natural being."[14]

The present book, continuing the project I began in The Opening of Vision, is intended as a contribution to the philosophical understanding of what is involved in the cultivation of sensibility and the humanization of the senses. What is needed is [1] the theoretical reconstruction of the enlightenment potential in our naturally bestowed capacity for vision and [2] the equally important theoretical reconstruction of the historico-cultural conditions in which these capacities, the gift of nature, were or were not permitted realization, development, and fulfillment. The second task requires that we think about the perceptivity of our vision from the standpoint of a certain Leidensgeschichte, a history that brings to light the traces of suffering and violence. For what is in question, what is at stake, here, is ultimately the moral disposition and character of our way of seeing—the humanization of the natural eye. Thus, what is needed is a philosophical critique of our capacity to see and of the way of seeing by which, for the most part, we actually live our lives: an undertaking in many ways like the philosophical project that Jürgen Habermas articulated in his appendix to Knowledge and Human Interests , except that, instead of the redemption of dialogue, it is a question of the redemption of vision as a cultural inheritance. Here is what Habermas says:

"Only when philosophy discovers in the dialectical course of history the traces of violence that deform repeated attempts at dialogue and recurrently close off the path to unconstrained communication does it further the process whose suspension it otherwise legitimates: mankind's evolution toward autonomy and responsibility. My fifth thesis is thus that the unity of knowledge and interest proves itself in a dialectic that takes the historical traces of suppressed dialogue and reconstructs what has been suppressed .[15]"

In a sense, this is a task that calls for a critical theory of collective memory, a re-collection (anamnesis ) of what our culture has refused to recognize and to see. With nature's gift of sight comes a certain calling—and the pressure of a normativity grounded only in the gift of nature itself. Through this calling, we are enjoined to take historical responsibility for our ability to be responsive.

In a note to one of the letters written for On the Aesthetic Education of Man, Friedrich Schiller asks us to consider:

"How can we be fair, kindly and humane towards others, let our maxims be as praiseworthy as they may be, if we lack the capacity to make strange natures genuinely and truly a part of ourselves, appropriate strange situations, make strange feelings our own?[16]"

Keeping in mind the time of these letters—for otherwise we might worry about the operation of a certain quite subtle form of egoism, even in this benevolent thought—I want to say that I appreciate the question that Schiller poses. It is, however, ambiguous. I will argue that we have already been given a certain rudimentary corporeal schematization of this capacity and are therefore, in this sense, not without it. But the documents of a repeated barbarism that our civilization has failed to overcome make it impossible to deny, when we interrogate the archives of thought, that the philosopher's elevated gaze has done little to clarify and exhibit its potential, bringing before our vision a different way of being with others.

The present book is an attempt to call attention to our perceptive capabilities and examine the historical prospects in the light of their promise. To this end, the chapters of this book will be reflecting on the different forms of the gaze as they figure in the thinking of some important philosophers.

Although the chapters are united by their commitment to a certain critical point of view and are sequenced according to a certain argumentative logic, they may nevertheless be profitably read, I believe, quite independently of this order.

The Philosopher's Gaze

Last edited:
Extract from the beginning of the next section in the above text:

"The Importance of Phenomenology

The art of storytelling is coming to an end. . . . It is as if something that seemed inalienable to us, the securest among our possessions, were taken from us: the ability to exchange experiences.

One reason for this phenomenon is obvious: experience has fallen in value. And it looks as if it is continuing to fall into bottomlessness. Every glance at a newspaper demonstrates that it has reached a new low, that our picture, not only of the external world but of the moral world as well, overnight has undergone changes that were never thought possible. . . . For never has experience been contradicted more thoroughly than strategic experience by tactical warfare, economic experience by inflation, bodily experience by mechanical warfare, and moral experience by those in power.
Walter Benjamin, "The Storyteller"[1]

[T]he dying out of experience [is] something that ultimately goes back to the atemporal technified process of the production of material goods.
Theodor Adorno, Notes to Literature[2]

[T]he question of experience can be approached nowadays only with the acknowledgement that it is no longer accessible to us. For just as modern man has been deprived of his biography, his experience has likewise been expropriated. Indeed, his incapacity to have and communicate experience is perhaps one of the few self-certainties to which he can lay claim.
Giorgio Agamben, Infancy and History: Essays on the Destruction of Experience[3]

Since I consider my work to be a contribution to hermeneutical phenomenology, I would like to say something about how I understand the use of this method.

Phenomenology as a Historical Movement
Phenomenology is a method with its own history. As Husserl first conceived it, the end of phenomenology was to reveal the constitution of meaning in a transcendental realm: although phenomenology must begin in the life-world, its assignment was to arrive at a pure transcendentalism. With Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty, however, phenomenology abandoned transcendental reduction, not only beginning but remaining in the life-world: in their work, phenomenology thus became existential. But this transformation is not enough: once the project of phenomenology has been situated in the world, it becomes necessary for it to go through a third moment of evolution. It must now become genuinely experiential: capable of articulating experience in all its hermeneutical intricacy, working with the dimensionality of experience to engage and bring forth from its depths newly emerging meaningfulness. It is only when phenomenology has truly understood experience and learned to become experiential, learned how to work with our experience in a way that carries it forward into new configurations of meaningfulness—only then will it have become what from the very beginning it always intended and claimed to be. In a certain sense, this third moment represents a recognition of phenomenology as Hegel conceived it: a hermeneutical work of the spirit, revealing its ever-changing reflexive configurations. But, of course, without any commitment to an immanent end and a dialectic of progress.

Phenomenology as a Hermeneutics
In the past, hermeneutics has been understood exclusively in relation to the interpretation of texts, or, say, cultural discourses. In my work, however, hermeneutics constitutes the essential phenomenological structure of perception, since the phenomenon never presents itself all at once and, correlatively, perception is always a process of delimited explication, a bringing-forth and bringing-out that is always situated in the "untimely" interplay of presence and absence, concealment and unconcealment. Phenomenology cannot be faithful to the "truth" of the phenomenon unless it is, in this sense, hermeneutical. Moreover, if we would like to be able to work with a structural distinction between shallow experience and deeply thoughtful experience, or a distinction between primordial experience prior to consciousness and experience reflectively retrieved, we will need a phenomenology that is hermeneutical in the sense defined here. But if experience is never ready-made, hermeneutics must not be reduced to the discovery of what is already present, merely taking away its hiddenness. Thus we will be thinking, here, about our looking and seeing, as organs with a capacity for engaging hermeneutically—disclosingly, revealingly—with the being of whatever we may be given to behold. The problematic at stake in the hermeneutics of texts and cultural discourses, namely the avoidance of an imperialism of the same in our relation to what is other, is no less at stake, I believe, when it is a question of our gesturing, our seeing and hearing. Here, too, the violence inherent in the logic of identity all too easily dictates the conditions of our perceptivity.

On Experience
Many philosophers have claimed empirical, experiential grounding for their thought. However, in spite of good intentions, their thinking has often not only failed to correspond to experience, but to a surprising extent even subverted and betrayed it, without, however, formulating any critical position in relation to its authority. I will not attempt, here, to defend this thesis by narrating once again the history of philosophy. Instead, I will begin my argument with some reflections on the method of phenomenology as it was formulated by Husserl at the beginning of the twentieth century.

What brought Husserl to the threshold of phenomenology was the problem of meaning: clarifying the meanings of our words by tracing them back to their origin in the acts of transcendental consciousness through which these meanings were first constituted, and reiterating the meaning-forming process, this time with an explicitly reflexive awareness of the way transcendental subjectivity functions in the process. "Back to the things themselves!" he proclaimed, boldly asserting that the phenomenological method, which he formulated in terms of a sequence of "reductions," is the only authentic positivism, the only true empiricism, and the only way to a realm of knowledge worthy of being called the "science" of all sciences.

Husserl's battle cry summons us to return to the experience of subjectivity and to insist on its claim to a certain validity and legitimacy. In a time when objectivity has become the dominant paradigm of knowledge, truth and reality, excluding or even denying all reference to experience, this battle cry has played a crucial historical role, a progressive historical role, challenging the hegemony of this paradigm, reaffirming the critical function of subjectivity, and renewing the promise of a rational redemption of lived experience.

But Husserl's phenomenology is ultimately more concerned with the task of securing for our knowledge an absolute grounding in the meaning-constitutive activity of transcendental consciousness than it is with the task of showing us how to reflect on our own experience just as it is lived. In fact, the latter task is not merely rendered subordinate to the task of laying an absolute foundation; it is ultimately annulled. What might have served as a method for reflectively contacting and working creatively with the reflexively critical constitution of our experience as we actually live it became, instead, a method in the service of a metaphysical program: the rational reconstruction of knowledge by means of an intuitively immediate demonstration that the meanings of our concepts were originally constituted, and can again (nachträglich ) be constituted originarily, outside (or, say, independently of) the material and causal conditions of the natural world, by the pure activity of the transcendental ego.

We need to retrieve the progressive, critical spirit behind Husserl's affirmation of subjectivity and his formulation of the phenomenological method. Thus, for example, we need his "principle of all principles," formulated in §24 of his Ideas: General Introduction to Pure Phenomenology: that phenomenologically self-evident seeing (Anschauung ) is the source of authority (Rechtsquelle ) for all knowledge, and that whatever presents itself in this way is simply to be accepted as it gives itself out to be, although only within the limits in which it then presents itself. We also need his methodological suspension of the "natural attitude," for this enactment of a certain critical distance with regard to conventional wisdom and the culturally predominant interpretation of our reality must be effected before this principle can be put to work. But these steps require that we unhitch the method from his metaphysical agenda. . . . ."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back