• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 2

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great that you have made productive contact with Panksepp. I'm assuming you are sharing the full text of your HCT theory with him. It would be interesting to read any email exchanges you have with him as you compare your two projects and perspectives. Is it possible that he and you would engage in a dialogue that you could put up on your website?

His current thinking is very similar to that which Edgar Michell expresses in the paper I linked last week. (I'll provide that link again and add links to extensions of Mitchell's and colleagues' theories summarized on Mitchell's quantrek website.)

The recent Panksepp paper he sent you and that you've linked for us here is magnificent in my opinion. I hope that @smcder, @Soupie, and others will read it and that we can all discuss its significance for the issues we've been discussing in this thread.

A few quotes from the Panksepp paper:

“And what is an affect in the dynamic sense? It is in any case something highly composite. An affect includes in the first place particular motor innervations or discharges and secondly certain feelings; the latter are of two kinds—perceptions of the motor actions that have occurred and the direct feelings of pleasure and unpleasure which, as we say, give the affect its keynote. But I do not think that with this enumeration we have arrived at the essence of an affect. We seem to see deeper in the case of some affects and to recognize that the core which holds the combination we have described together is the repetition of some particular significant experience. This experience could only be a very early impression of a very general nature, placed in the prehistory not of the individual but of the
species” ([28], p. 395).

"Cortical removal did not interrupt the presence of the conscious “self”, of conscious being, it merely deprived the patient of “certain forms of information” ([43], p. 65)."

"Contrary to LeDoux and the other corticocentric theorists: all the cortical varieties of consciousness depend upon the integrity of these subcortical structures, not the other way round. This in not to deny that higher cortical regions add much to consciousness. Of course they do. But the evolutionary “roots” of consciousness are to be found elsewhere, and they are probably affective [4,44]."

pg. 10 ". . .it gives rise to a background state of “being”; this aspect of the body is the subject of perception. We may picture this type of consciousness as the neurodynamic page upon which, or from which, exteroceptive experiences are written in higher brain regions. (This is also what binds experiences together; perception happens to a unitary, embodied subject; cf. the binding problem.)

"It is important to note that these “states” of the body-as-subject involve not only varying levels of consciousness (e.g., sleep/waking) but also varying qualities of consciousness. Interoceptive consciousness, too, is phenomenal; it “feels like” something. Above all, the phenomenal states of the body-as-subject are experienced affectively. Affects, rather than representing discrete external events, are experienced as positively and negatively valenced states. Their valence is determined by how changing internal conditions relate to the probability of survival and reproductive success. At this level of the brain, therefore, homeostasis is inseparable from consciousness. Whereas the classical sensory modalities represent discrete external (knowledge-generating and objective) noetic happenings, affective consciousness represents diffuse internal (automatically evaluative and subjective) anoetic reactions to those happenings. Affectivity is, in this respect, a unique experiential modality. But that is not all it is; affectivity is an intrinsic property of the brain which is expressed in the emotions, and emotions are, above all, distinct forms of somatic motor discharge coordinated with supportive patterns of autonomic change. However, these emotional expressions also “feel like” something, in diversely valenced ways. The empirical evidence for the feeling component are simply based on the highly replicable fact that wherever in the brain one can artificially evoke coherent emotional response patterns with deep brain stimulation, those shifting states uniformly are accompanied by “rewarding” and “punishing” states of mind [2,4]."

I think David Chalmers will be especially interested by this Panksepp paper and I look forward to seeing how he and other consciousness researchers respond to it. Please link us to any such responses you encounter in ongoing philosophy of mind papers.

Last edited:
I confess the Rovelli critique went over my head. I haven't actually read anything by Rovelli so I am fairly ignorant. I have just read about RQM. Intuitively it makes sense to me, but I need to do some serious reading to get a full picture. Applying QM to HCT is possible though... I just have no idea how to do it, but RQM matches my way of seeing/ understanding the growth of informed constructs and what I have read makes sense as a general idea.

With regard Panksepp, I too cut and pasted pages of quotes from three of his papers. He wants me to email him two pdfs of my work, so I will have to think about that. I have a list of about 20 points to raise about his ideas as they relate to Hierarchical Construct Theory - some of them are potential divergences. What I find interesting is that his ideas are formed from many years of neuro-scientific research and analysis. My HCT was formed simply by exploring the implications of Newton's third law of motion, finding core unifying principles and merely extrapolating out the hierarchy. So the two approaches could not be more contrasting.

If we have a developing dialogue, it would be nice to share them and hear contributions from you, soupie, and smcder. We shall see...

This from the same entry in section 6. in sep v important:

More radically, Rovelli and Smerlak (2006) argue that these correlations do not entail any form of “non-locality”, when viewed in the context of this interpretation, essentially because there is a quantum event relative to an observer that happens at a spacelike separation from this observer. The abandonment of strict Einstein realism implied by the relational stance permits to reconcile quantum mechanics, completeness and locality.

Their theory is, again, just a theory, and it coincides with the exclusively epistemological limits set to inquiry in standard quantum mechanics experimentation. There are other theorists and experimentalists who pursue an ontological inquiry into the relationship of qm to classical mechanics not bound by deterministic and closed system premises. They pursue holistic thinking on the basis of the demonstrations of nonlocal quantum phenomena that, with complex systems theory, indicate universal entanglement of information.

@Pharoah, here's a link to a paper on the general perplexity of physics in our time arising from the incommensurability so far of general relativity and quantum mechanics:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0604045.pdf

The last line of the paper includes the phrase "halfway through the woods" which is the title of a very interesting longer paper of his entitled "Halfway through the Woods" that you can read much of at Google Books. It's part of a volume of contributed papers that is cited in note 34 of the arxiv paper I linked. I read much/most of it about ten years ago at Google Books and recommend it to you (hoping that you'll still find as much of it extracted there as I did). I wish someone would put the whole paper up online.

Last edited:
@Pharoah, here's a link to a paper on the general perplexity of physics in our time arising from the incommensurability so far of general relativity and quantum mechanics:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0604045.pdf

The last line of the paper includes the phrase "halfway through the woods" which is the title of a very interesting longer paper of his entitled "Halfway through the Woods" that you can read much of at Google Books. It's part of a volume of contributed papers that is cited in note 34 of the arxiv paper I linked. I read much/most of it about ten years ago at Google Books and recommend it to you (hoping that you'll still find as much of it extracted there as I did). I wish someone would put the whole paper up online.
thx.. will read

Soupie... I am just in the middle of re-writing 'How can complex systems explain the emergence, evolution, and physiological impact of consciousness?' for Panksepp. So don't try to dirge your way through it until I have finish with the substantial edit.

Soupie... I am just in the middle of re-writing 'How can complex systems explain the emergence, evolution, and physiological impact of consciousness?' for Panksepp. So don't try to dirge your way through it until I have finish with the substantial edit.

"dirge"?

I remember this, I think from part 1?

It's good ...

"In the history of philosophical thought about such matters, Rene Descartes was the one to finally limit consciousness to the brain alone. But he didn’t mean it in the same way we do today – it seems to me that what he was describing

was less of a noun and more of a verb.

According to A.C. Harwood (1964), Descartes was describing a shift from participatory consciousness (seated in the heart) to a spectator consciousness, whereby a person could witness events that s/he didn’t consider herself really part of; “looking at a world outside us to which we feel we do not essentially belong.”

The spectator consciousness is, at least in its first manifestations, bound to the brain. (BTW, Harwood’s main argument is that Shakespeare first illustrates this new view in Hamlet. But I digress.)

By seating consciousness solely in the brain, we have become spectators instead of participants in an animate universe, and our people have thereby been robbed of many dimensions of relationship. This is a wholly unnecessary diminishment, caused only by our thinking.

Fortunately, it is now being overturned."

"By seating consciousness solely in the brain, we have become spectators instead of participants in an animate universe, and our people have thereby been robbed of many dimensions of relationship. This is a wholly unnecessary diminishment, caused only by our thinking."

Don't know if that's you or Harwood, but it doesn't matter. It's the insight that is important. Indeed, could not be more important. Thank you.

Another extract from Mitchell:

“The point being argued here is that the internal feeling sense and the intuitive function is a basic mechanism in nature’s scheme of information management, that is to say –“knowing”. It evolved long before the left hemispheres and frontal lobes that seem to be responsible for language, reasoning and other high level mental functions upon which humankind has placed emphasis in the historic period. Thus examination of the more primitive brain functions in the human organism is most likely to yield clues as to the historic role of consciousness and mentality in the evolving pre-anthropic world." ...
  • The position I defend is an intentionalist one: phenomenally conscious states are essentially representational states of a certain sort. p.66
But Tye qualifies his stance as ‘unorthodox’, distinguishing it from that of Colin McGinn (1982 – The Character of Mind), John Searle (1983 – Intentionality), and Ned Block (1995 – On a Confusion about a Function of Consciousness)
  • All states that are phenomenally conscious – all feelings and experiences – have intentional content. p.93
  • The overall conclusion I draw is that feeling and experiences generally have intentional content. Philosophical orthodoxy on this topic is just plain wrong. p.131
Critically the point is lost in passing; that some non-mental constructs are representational in and of themselves.

... Thus, we can redraft Michael Lycan’s opening Stanford Encyclopedia entry “Intentionality is the power of minds to be about, to represent, or to stand for, properties and states of affairs”, by removing the word “mind” and replacing it with a concise alternative that does not require interpretative boundaries to be drawn: ‘Intentionality is the power for the intrinsic properties of all construct-types to be about, to represent, or to stand for, states of affairs.’ Apart from its intuitive coherence, this redrafted version has the benefit over the old, of denying the need for an explanatory leap between non-mental and emergent (or magical) mental phenomena. Instead, what it requires, is a need for an overarching explanation of the relationship – the evolving relationship – between different types or levels of representational constructs. ...

A few quotes from the Panksepp paper:

“And what is an affect in the dynamic sense? It is in any case something highly composite. An affect includes in the first place particular motor innervations or discharges and secondly certain feelings; the latter are of two kinds—perceptions of the motor actions that have occurred and the direct feelings of pleasure and unpleasure which, as we say, give the affect its keynote. But I do not think that with this enumeration we have arrived at the essence of an affect. We seem to see deeper in the case of some affects and to recognize that the core which holds the combination we have described together is the repetition of some particular significant experience. This experience could only be a very early impression of a very general nature, placed in the prehistory not of the individual but of the species” ([28], p. 395). ...

pg. 10 ". . .it gives rise to a background state of “being”; this aspect of the body is the subject of perception. We may picture this type of consciousness as the neurodynamic page upon which, or from which, exteroceptive experiences are written in higher brain regions. (This is also what binds experiences together; perception happens to a unitary, embodied subject; cf. the binding problem.)

"It is important to note that these “states” of the body-as-subject involve not only varying levels of consciousness (e.g., sleep/waking) but also varying qualities of consciousness. Interoceptive consciousness, too, is phenomenal; it “feels like” something. Above all, the phenomenal states of the body-as-subject are experienced affectively. Affects, rather than representing discrete external events, are experienced as positively and negatively valenced states. Their valence is determined by how changing internal conditions relate to the probability of survival and reproductive success. At this level of the brain, therefore, homeostasis is inseparable from consciousness. Whereas the classical sensory modalities represent discrete external (knowledge-generating and objective) noetic happenings, affective consciousness represents diffuse internal (automatically evaluative and subjective) anoetic reactions to those happenings. Affectivity is, in this respect, a unique experiential modality. But that is not all it is; affectivity is an intrinsic property of the brain which is expressed in the emotions, and emotions are, above all, distinct forms of somatic motor discharge coordinated with supportive patterns of autonomic change. However, these emotional expressions also “feel like” something, in diversely valenced ways. The empirical evidence for the feeling component are simply based on the highly replicable fact that wherever in the brain one can artificially evoke coherent emotional response patterns with deep brain stimulation, those shifting states uniformly are accompanied by “rewarding” and “punishing” states of mind [2,4]."

I think David Chalmers will be especially interested by this Panksepp paper and I look forward to seeing how he and other consciousness researchers respond to it. Please link us to any such responses you encounter in ongoing philosophy of mind papers.

I'm not certain I completely understand the arguments being presented above, but they seem to be suggesting that phenomenal experience (consciousness) is a fundamental aspect of reality, occurring with even the most basic organisms (and indeed, perhaps with even non-organisms...), and it is essentially representational (at least the Mitchell essay argues that).

I agree with all of this. And I would be curious to hear Chalmer's take on this. I've never liked his Hard Problem as I think it creates a false duality between information and qualia. That is, I think (integrated) information and qualia are one and the same, and to cast them as distinct - as Chalmer's does with the HP - is an error.

I think phenomenal consciousness does arise (or as I say, is generated) from what we might think of as very basic information processing systems. I would say that any physical "system" - like the example of tree rings given above - that can be said to create and/or store information that is "representative" of physical reality, can be said to generate phenomenal consciousness (although such phenomenal consciousness would be incredibly non-rich).

Chalmers has argued for the HP via his conceivability argument re zombies. That we can conceive of a zombie that was physically isomorphic to humans in every way, but that did not experience phenomenal consciousness. I have always rejected this argument. In my view, information = phenomenal consciousness. Thus, if a system, such as a zombie, were to create integrated information, it would, by my definition, be creating phenomenal consciousness.

In other words, it's false to say the zombie could create integrated information but not phenomenal consciousness.

A bad analogy might be to argue that it's conceivable that one could create water but not a liquid. In other words, what the conceivability arguments deals with is semantics and concepts, both of which may not be isomorphic with reality.

Below are two non-philosophical papers that I feel indirectly address these issues:

Dinosaurs lost the ability to taste sugar; hummingbirds re-evolved it | Ars Technica

Chickens are not fussy eaters. Any object resembling food is worth an exploratory peck. But give a chicken the choice between sugary sweets and seeds, and they will pick the grains every time. This is odd. Many animals, including our own sugar-mad species, salivate for sugar because it is the flavor of foods rich in energy. New research suggests that many birds’ lack of interest in sugar is the result of genes inherited from their dinosaur ancestors.

Most vertebrates experience sweet taste because they possess a family of genes called T1Rs. The pairing of T1R1 and T1R3 detects amino acids and gives rise to the savoury “umami” taste, while the T1R2-T1R3 pair detects sugars, giving us our sweet tooth. ...

Hummingbirds, however, get a lot of their food from sugary sources. Every day they consume more than their own body weight in nectar. They can taste the difference between water and a sugar solution within a quarter of a second. And they also like the flavor of non-sugary artificial sweeteners like erythritol and sorbitol. How is this possible if they have no gene for sweet taste? ...

Hummingbirds have co-opted genes that originally allowed dinosaurs to savour the taste of flesh, and transformed them into the sugar detectors, an ability that most modern birds live without.

Charles Darwin, scribbling in the rough notebooks to which he would later refer when writing the Origin of Species, pondered how animals in new environments learn which foods are worth eating and which should be avoided. He concluded that this problem drove the evolution of a sense of taste: “Real taste [in] the mouth, according to my theory must be acquired by certain foods being habitual—hence become hereditary.”

Baldwin’s results show that Darwin was spot-on. Perhaps ancestral hummingbirds that lacked the sweet receptor frequented flowers to catch insects. On occasion they accidentally consumed some nectar. Small mutations in T1R1 and T1R3 would have allowed them to taste this sugary liquid, giving them access to a vital source of energy. This could have given nectar-sipping individuals the evolutionary upper hand compared to insect-eaters.
The above paper is a little unclear, but the ability to chemically process sugars does not seem genetically related to being able to taste sugars. So, via Chalmer's argument, Hummingbirds could still seek out sugar and benefit nutritionally from sugars, but not phenomenally experience them...

However, what this paper seems to suggest is that the genetic ability to "detect" sugars is synonymous with being able to "taste" sugars. This would suggest that if zombie hummingbird could detect sugar, it would also be able to taste sugar. If a zombie hummingbird couldn't detect/taste sugar, well then it wouldn't be a hummingbird.

Let me ask you this: 'Why aren't there smells in dreams?' - Science - News - The Independent

So visual experience dominates dreaming, while touch, smell, and taste are quite low. But why? No one has actually tried to find out why experimentally. But here are some possible reasons based on what is known about the brain.

Visual and auditory processing is much more 'cerebral'. As much as two-thirds of the cerebral cortex (the main cognitive and perceptual part of the brain) is involved in one way or another in vision. So it is no wonder that vision might show up so frequently. Auditory processing is closely tied to language, and language is central to the conceptual structure of our inner life, particularly in the formation of meaning and communication with other human beings. Language is also processed entirely in the cerebral cortex.

Smell and taste, on the other hand, barely interact with the cerebral cortex. Smell is regarded as possibly the most primitive perceptual system in the brain. Unlike the other senses, it connects directly into the memory and emotional systems, which is why a smell can bring back a memory so vividly.

Perhaps more important is that smell, taste, and touch are not very susceptible to imagination. It is fairly easy to close your eyes and imagine what something looks like, or to replay a conversation and 'hear' people talking. But it is not as easy to imagine a smell, taste, or touch. This may be because these senses are less 'generative'. Vision and hearing require the brain to generate an internal model of perception and map it onto information patterns coming from the sensory receptors. This can involve a lot of 'top-down' processing. Smell is a fairly direct measurement of the chemical composition of the air, and touch is a direct measurement of skin pressure. Because there is less 'imagination' involved in smell perception, it might be less influenced by the brain activity happening during dreaming.

Lastly, it has been proposed that dreams may be a side-effect of the brain reorganising information – so-called memory consolidation. The information with the most complex structure, and therefore in the most need of reorganising, would be visual and spatial, along with language (auditory), and knowledge of facts, events, meaning, and human relationships. And coincidentally, these are the elements that seem to populate dreams.
Again, smell and touch are regarded as measurements (information) of physical reality external to the organism (information processing system). If a "zombie" system were capable of measuring the chemical composition of the air and skin pressure, then they would be phenomenally experiencing. The "processing" and/or "creation" of representational information structures is the generating of phenomenal experience.

Consciousness (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

The nature of the relevant proto-psychic aspect remains unclear, and such theories face a dilemma if offered in hope of answering the Hard Problem. Either the proto-psychic properties involve the sort of qualitative phenomenal feel that generates the Hard Problem or they do not. If they do, it is difficult to understand how they could possibly occur as ubiquitous properties of reality. How could an electron or a quark have any such experiential feel? However, if the proto-psychic properties do not involve any such feel, it is not clear how they are any better able than physical properties to account for qualitative consciousness in solving the Hard Problem.

A more modest form of pansychism has been advocated by the neuroscientist Giulio Tononi (2008) and endorsed by other neuroscientists including Christof Koch (2012). This version derives from Tononi's integrated information theory (IIT) of consciousness that identifies consciousness with integrated information which can exist in many degrees (see section 9.6 below). According to IIT, even a simple indicator device such as a single photo diode possesses some degree of integrated information and thus some limited degree of consciousness, a consequence which both Tononi and Koch embrace as a form of panpsychism.

Last edited:
According to A.C. Harwood (1964), Descartes was describing a shift from participatory consciousness (seated in the heart) to a spectator consciousness, whereby a person could witness events that s/he didn’t consider herself really part of; “looking at a world outside us to which we feel we do not essentially belong.”

The spectator consciousness is, at least in its first manifestations, bound to the brain. (BTW, Harwood’s main argument is that Shakespeare first illustrates this new view in Hamlet. But I digress.)

By seating consciousness solely in the brain, we have become spectators instead of participants in an animate universe, and our people have thereby been robbed of many dimensions of relationship. This is a wholly unnecessary diminishment, caused only by our thinking.
And this may be the difference between the "mindless" Babylonians and ourselves. They subjectively experienced themselves as physically/mentally embedded in reality whereas we subjectively experience ourselves as set apart. That's not to say that our Babylonians weren't self-aware, but it does seem that some conceptual shift has taken place; and I'm not convinced there will be any going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back