• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 2

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also suitable for Sunday morning musing ... It's interesting to me that we've discussed morality hardly at all on this thread.

Maverick Philosopher: Philosophy, Religion, Mysticism, and Wisdom

"For me there are at least four ways to the Absolute, philosophy, religion, mysticism, and morality. This post provides rough sketches of how I view the first three. I end by suggesting that the pursuit of wisdom involves all three 'postures.' (Compare the physical postures in the three pictures below.)

Ah, I see in this next post that it is Critchley. You ask me if he is 'right' in these little blogs in the Guardian. I don't think so, based on these snippets, but I would have to read a longer work on B&T by Critchley to comment. Critchley is an analytical philosopher who has dipped to some extent into phenomenology. How far he gets in it remains to be seen. He wrote a small book on Stevens's poetry, entitled Things Merely Are, which I found inadequate to the poetry. He's written another that I haven't yet read. He's by no means anyone's best guide to Heidegger based on what I've read of him so far. The translation of B&T he recommended is probably the best one available. It also helps to read a scholarly commentary on/explication of B&T alongside that work. I recommend the one by E.F.Kaelin, who was my mentor in phenomenology and my dissertation on Stevens's poetry as phenomenological poetry. It's linked here:

It's also available online at Questia, where you can read the table of contents and preface in a preview before joining. Questia is well worth joining for the texts it makes available in philosophy.

Read Heidegger's Being and Time: A Reading for Readers - 1988 by E. F. Kaelin. | Questia, Your Online Research Library

I'm going to get the actual books to work with - the commentary is reasonable on Amazon and Being and Time is dirt cheap ... I think I've seen that translation in used book stores - must be plentiful!

On this view, does Ray Kurzweil seeks a type of suicide in uploading his consciousness to a machine? I remember the first part of Robocop 2 where each new candidate awakens in his cyborg body and immediately goes mad or commits suicide - will Kurzweill feel so horribly alienated "inside" his new machine body that he can't stand it? If he has robot arms he could end it all ... But if he is first uploaded to a virtual world, his handlers could leave him to suffer indefinitely.

Which, by the way, could be the fate for any particular AI contained in a virtual world we create ... Are we responsible for the mental health of what we create?
If a human mind were uploaded to a digital/virtual reality, that mind would need to be receiving sensory information immediately otherwise it would go insane. (And if Whiteian concepts such as Prehension are correct, uh oh!) The experience might be akin to floating in a salt water tank. Terrance Mckenna once said that the altered states of psychedelic experiences might prepare us for navigating the tranhumanistic landscape.

I wrote a short story (or at least the beginnings of one) about a scientist working on mind-uploading who dies and has his mind uploaded (or, as I told my wife, essentially the same plot as the movie Transcendence). I don't know how Transcendence ends, but I'm fairly certain my ending is different (although I never actually wrote out the narrative). It's very idealistic. (Also, I've edited out some narrative to just focus on the virtual aspects.)

Anyhow, here are some sections from my story if anyone cares to read them. It begins with the attempted first contact with the scientists isolated brain and the subsequent uploading of his mind.
“I am initiating the first communication attempt with the client. Sequence one session two begins now.” As he said this, Dr. Borges began typing into a keyboard and computer that shared a direct link with Dr. Brown’s brain.

-

01010010100010001001…

00100111110000101010010101…

101010100001….lllllllllllloooooooooo?

Hhhhhheeeeeellllllllllllllllloooooooooo?

Hellllo

Hello?

-

“Communicating…” Announced Dr. Borges.

“Communicating…” He watched the light-screen for a response: nothing. He continued.

“Communicating…”

-

Hello?

Hello?

Hello?

Yes?

Hello?

Yes, I’m here..

Hello?

-

“There is still no detectable response. He may not be receiving our communication attempts, or we may not be receiving his! I am going to try changing the message. Inverting communiqué,” announced Dr. Borges. He typed into the keyboard.

“Communicating…” He announced.

“Communicating…”

-

“Goodbye.”

Goodbye?

“Goodbye.”

No, don’t go.

“Goodbye.”

Don’t go just yet, please.

-

A surgeon at the back of the room: “There is increasing brainwave activity, Dr. Borges. Whatever message you’re sending is causing some form of response.”

“Augmenting communiqué,” announced Dr. Borges.

“Communicating…”

-

“Goodbye, Adam.”

Don’t go just yet, please.

“Goodbye, Adam.”

I’m not ready to go just yet…
-

He was lying on his back and someone flashed a light in his eyes. He waved his arm at the light. His eyes stung. His wife was standing over him. She whispered, “Adam? Adam? Hello?”

I’m not ready to go just yet. I’m not ready…

-

The surgeon at the back of the room: “…to go just yet.”

The other surgeons looked up from their light-screens.

Again, from the back of the room the surgeon said: “I’m not ready to go.”

The other surgeons saw that he was not reading the words from his light-screen. They flowed from his mouth as though he were a puppet. The surgeon had a bewildered look on his face.

Again, he blurted out: “Don’t go yet, please.”

“Turn the audio on! I know what’s happening,” shouted Dr. Borges. “Quickly now!”

“Audio is now—.”

I’m not ready to go yet,” boomed an extremely loud, artificial voice through the speaker system.

“Hello, Adam. This is Juan,” Borges typed rapidly in response.

Whooo?”the voice moaned.

“Good morning, Adam. This is your colleague, Borges.”

Borges? Borges? Borges!”

“Yes, Adam. It’s time to come to work. You’re late.”

“Late? What time is it?”

“Time for work, Dr. Brown. You are late,” typed Borges.

“Where are we? Borges…don’t. Is it really you, Borges? Am I dreaming, Borges?” asked the voice. There was a pause of some time. “I think I know what’s happening, Borges.”

Dr. Borges prepared to type another response, but the voice spoke again before he could.

“I’m scared. Borges? Where am I, Borges?” There was another long pause.

“Borges? Is it really you, Borges? Borges? Borges? Borges?

“Administer fifty milligrams of chlorpromazine,” instructed Dr. Borges.

“I’m here, Adam. Adam, we did it. You did it,” Borges typed.

“Borges, I’m scared. I’m scccared. I’m sccccarrred.” The drug worked quickly.

“I have orders to begin translation, Adam. What do you think about that?” typed Borges.

“I’m scared.”

He was sitting at a small kitchen table in an old house. Dr. Borges sat across from him. Borges was wearing a kaki trench coat and derby. His clothes were completely dry, despite having just come in from the outside where the rain was falling in torrents. The small kitchen was filled with the noise of the rain hitting the tin roof.

Do you know what has happened, Adam?” asked Borges.

“I’m not sure, Borges. I’d like to think I do…but it is rather odd, you know,” said Adam.

“I imagine so. Can you describe it to us, Adam?” asked Dr. Borges.

Just then, Adam’s wife came in from the rain. She was soaking wet. Her hair was tied back in a bun. She had a worried look on her face until her eyes found Adam. She smiled and looked at her watch.

“Adam, you’re home early!”

“I wanted to see you,” said Adam. “I was worried about you. There has been a terrible accident, I think…”

“Yes, Adam. I know,” said Dr. Borges.

“I know it’s raining, but can you excuse us, Borges?” asked Adam.

“Adam, do you know what is happening?” asked Borges again.

“We can talk later, Borges. Laura and I…well, Borges, we have to talk.”

“Adam, this is important. Crucial. We are moments away from beginning the translation process. It will go much smoother if you cooperate with us. We have to talk now…you can talk to Laura later,” suggested Dr. Borges.

Adam saw the doorknob of the kitchen door turn over Borges’ shoulder. The door cracked open slightly, and light poured into the room through the crack.

“I know, Borges, but I’m concerned. I think I want you to leave. I need to talk to Laura in private.” The door opened wider, and the light became almost unbearable. Adam could see shadowed movement through the open door. Outside, an immense, circular object, easily several times the size of the house, was spinning lazily in the air. As Adam squinted at the object through the cracked door, trying to make out what it was, an overwhelming vision of it filled his mind, momentarily seizing control of his thoughts and feelings. He jumped up in fright from the table, sending his chair screeching across the floor. “Okay, Borges. What the hell is going on! Laura? What the hell is going on here?” Adam kicked the table, slamming it into Borges’ stomach. Borges stood up from the table. His body shimmered and wavered as if it were a translucent, paper cut-out twisting in a wind. Adam turned on Laura and began demanding answers. She began explaining that she had just wanted to spend some time with him. As she talked, she grew in size. Adam backed away from her.

“Adam, I’m going to leave—,” said Dr. Borges.

“No! You’re going to tell me what the hell is going on!” said Adam, turning from the specter of the growing Laura and walking toward Dr. Borges menacingly, but Borges’ body simply dissolved into nothingness. A loud humming noise, emitted by the object hovering in the air outside the house, which could be heard above the drumming of the rain, began to fill the air. The rate of its spinning increased and with it the intensity of the humming. Despite the immense speed of the rotations, Adam found that he was being buffeted by distinctly separate sound waves. They came one after another, rumbling deep within his stomach and chest like thunder.

Shooomm. Shooomm. Shooomm.

“Laura?” he asked, turning to look for her. She was gone. The kitchen began to tremble. Things began falling from shelves. Plaster fell from the ceiling. A rushing wind entered through the open door and swirled about the room like an angry, searching spirit. The thunder-like rumblings delved deeper, they went beyond his stomach, beyond his chest cavity, and into his soul.

Shooomm. Shooomm. Shooomm

The door of the kitchen flew off its hinges, barely missing Adam, and smashed into the back of the room, splintering into pieces. He walked to the open doorway. The immense object filled the sky, spinning at incredible rate. Adam stared in awe. A massive burst of sound departed from the spinning object, knocked him from his feet and sent him flying across the room like the door. His body slammed into the wall, and he fell to the floor where he lay sprawled and barely conscious. He observed, terrified, as the light, sound, and vibrations overwhelmed the kitchen, searching, filling and covering. All became white and silent.

Adam stood on a vast, white-sanded beach. He turned in a circle. Whiteness stretched out from him endlessly in one direction and the pale-green waters of a vast ocean in the other. The cloudless sky was colored red by a small, ruddy sun sitting low on the horizon.

All was silent save for the sound of small waves lapping on the wet, marble-like beach. Adam was barefoot, wearing jeans and a beige, cotton sweater. He turned his gaze out over the emerald ocean, juxtaposed below the red dome of the sky.

Far out above the horizon, a dark blemish appeared and marred the spotless amber sky. Adam squinted in an effort to see what it was. Though he could not make it out, he determined the object was slowly getting larger – or nearer.

He looked down the beach and was surprised to see an individual walking toward him along the shoreline. The individual was wearing a white robe that hung limp despite the gentle ocean breeze that surrounded him as he walked. He did not appear to be in a hurry, but was nevertheless approaching rapidly. Adam glanced back to the object over the horizon. Though he was still unable to make out its form, he could see that it was clearly getting nearer – rather than larger.

“Hello, Adam,” said the individual, as he neared.

“Hello, Borges,” said Dr. Brown, suddenly recognizing him. “Can you make out what that is?”

“I’m sorry, Adam. I cannot see what you see. I am just a visitor here. This landscape is of your making. Everything here is, even my appearance,” said Borges. “But how do you feel?”

“Borges, this is very difficult for me.”

The object approaching rapidly from the horizon presented itself to be a mass of dark thunderclouds. They overwhelmed the clear, red sky as they neared, their massive thunderheads pushing miles into the atmosphere like lofty, white mountaintops. As Adam turned to watch their approach, several thick forks of glimmering lightning leaped from the clouds into the ocean below. For an instant, the dark belly of the clouds, stretching for miles, was lit like fire, and the mute ocean below glowed an electric, milky-green. Gradually, the sound of thunder reached Adam’s ears. It, like the wind, washed over his skin and rumbled down into his stomach.

“Can you feel that, Borges?” asked Adam, the wind tossing his hair about.

“Dr. Brown, I am not here as you are here. What you see of me is only an avatar. Remember, we thought this was the best way to communicate.”

“Yes, yes. I’m am beginning to recall all that, Borges. It is very infuriating. So, how did I come to be here?” he asked, gesturing at his surroundings with a wave of his arm.

“There was an accident. Really some unexplained meteorological event, Adam. You were killed in your vehicle as a result of this event.”

“I was killed. So, I am dead then. My body is dead,” he said, pronouncing each word slowly and clearly. Thunder and lightning crackled through the air. It began to grow dark. Adam remained focused intently on Borges. “What was it-- some sort of asteroid?”

“No-one is sure, Adam. Hundreds were killed. It was horrible. If our facility weren’t so far below the surface we might have been affected as well. It is rather hard to take in. Of course, they’ve put me in charge of our project now. I’m sorry I don’t know more, but I’ve been too concerned with you--.”

“So we were right, Borges! Does Laura know…about this – about me? Did they tell her?”

“Adam…”

“Borges?”

Large drops of rain began to fall. The thunderclouds were now overhead, churning, groaning, pregnant with electric charge.

“Laura and your children were killed during the event as well.”

Rain poured from the clouds in furious torrents. Wind ripped in from the sea, tossing Adam’s hair and clothing, while large, frothy-white waves threw themselves upon the beach in fits of rage. Borges stood silent and still like a glowing, white pillar of marble, his body and robe untouched by the wind, rain and ocean foam. The vibrating sound of powerful machinery filled the air. Adam turned from Borges and looked once more out over the water.

There before him, high above the churning waters, in the center of a circular break in the thunderclouds, hung two immense stone wheels, hundreds of feet in diameter. They were identical to the massive object that had been outside the kitchen. Adam knew they were ancient, knew their names. Each of the great wheels was intersected perpendicularly by another, smaller wheel. And each of the four wheels was covered in a multitude of unblinking eyes. Thunder roared overhead like multiple cannon fire. Adam walked out into the waters and dropped to his knees.

“Adam, we must talk about what’s to come,” said Borges.

The great wheels lurched into motion; they began to gyrate, the smaller wheels spinning within the greater wheels, slowly at first and then with gradually increasing power and speed. As they spun they emitted an increasingly brilliant light and thunderous sound which challenged those of the bellowing, lightning spitting, thunderclouds. Adam’s body began to tremble. The water curled, pulled, and twisted about his legs and waist.

“You’d better leave, Borges,” whispered Adam between gritted teeth.

“Adam, what can I do?” asked Borges.

“Leave me alone, Borges. For awhile, just leave me alone.” With hands over his ears, he knelt into the frothy waters. They eagerly churned up over his head, shoulders, and back, consuming him. The great wheels were now spinning so rapidly that they appeared to be two immense, spheres, the increasingly brilliant and expanding edges of which threatened to overlap between them. On shore, Borges’ avatar wavered, thinned, and disappeared, while Adam’s body became totally immersed beneath the frothing, white water. At the moment the edges of the towering, dynamic spheres met once again, all became white and silent.

The creature resembled a baleen-whale, its massive, continent-sized body drifted weightlessly through the warm, green, light-filled ocean water. One tremendous eye watched lazily as various pods of playful porpoises swam below its blue body. The dolphins circled gargantuan schools of silver fish, occasionally darting into them to feed. The enormous marine mammal cruised just below the surface of the vast ocean where the water was warmest. Above, a large yellow sun sat in a clear blue sky.

The eyes of the titanic fish focused on an immense cloud of krill drifting in the dark-blue depths below. The creature allowed its enormous body to sink into the depths toward the cluster of crustaceans. As it neared the mass of swirling sea-crabs, it opened its great mouth, allowing in a flood of water and krill. The aquatic mammoth plowed lazily through the cloud of minute creatures. Suddenly disturbed, the massive beast ended its feast and rose once more to the surface, ejecting miles into the air a fountain of water vapor from its blow hole.

“Adam? Adam, can you hear me?” asked a puny, far-off voice. The eyes of the creature slowly scanned the waters. Finding nothing, it drifted once more to the swirling cloud of krill on which it fed for hours, periodically rising to the surface for air. Once finished, the colossus floated back to the surface to bask in the sun until it grew hungry once more.

Again the creature was disturbed by the call of a tiny voice: “Adam, where are you? Can you hear me?” One huge eyelid lifted slowly. In the sky, hanging above the waters, barely visible to the massive mariner, was a small white animal. The sea monster studied the minute creature curiously. After a moment the ocean mammal lowered its eyelid and once more devoted its full attention to enjoying the warmth of the sun.

Several hours later, after the leviathan had returned to feed and was again basking, the tiny creature spoke once more: “Adam, what is happening to you? Can’t you hear me? I need you to cooperate! Adam?” Annoyed, the titan rolled away from the small pest and onto its back. The sun’s rays quickly warmed the huge belly, as gigantic, green waves of foaming water, stirred by the giant beast’s roll, swept the tiny nuisance away.

Last edited:
I've just received copies of Tye's books Ten Problems of Consciousness and the more recent Consciousness Revisited: Materialism without Phenomenal Concepts. After I read them I'll read your critique of the first book and anything you've written in response to the 2011 book (please link if there is something I should read). Re your new Mary paper, I'm still not persuaded by your approach and conclusion. By the way, have you responded anywhere to Conee's acquaintance theory? Thanks for your contributions here.

For other readers, here is the Stanford article's reference to Conee:

"Earl Conee (1994) proposes another variant of the No Propositional Knowledge-View. According to Conee acquaintance constitutes a third category of knowledge that is neither reducible to factual knowledge nor to knowing-how and he argues that Mary acquires after release only acquaintance knowledge. According to Conee knowing something by acquaintance “requires the person to be familiar with the known entity in the most direct way that it is possible for a person to be aware of that thing” (Conee 1994, 144). Since “experiencing a quality is the most direct way to apprehend a quality” (Conee 1994, 144), Mary gains acquaintance with color qualia only after release. According to the view proposed by Conee the physicalist can defend himself against the knowledge argument in the following way: (1) Qualia are physical properties of experiences (and experiences are physical processes). Let Q be such a property. (2) Mary can know all about Q and she can know that a given experience has Q before release, although—before release—she is not acquainted with Q. (3) After release Mary gets acquainted with Q, but she does not acquire any new item of propositional knowledge by getting acquainted with Q (in particular she already knew under what conditions normal perceivers have experiences with the property Q). More recently Michael Tye (2009) defends the acquaintance hypothesis as the right answer to the knowledge argument thereby abandoning his original response (see below 4.7).

I have not responded to Conee - perhaps I need to. He is definitely on the right track. I don't like the label Acquaintance Hypothesis because the question begs, why is there 'acquaintance', why should experience be qualitative, and what is it for experience to be qualitative? - what determines the physical experiential link? Perhaps he might like my theory because it gives his stance more ammunition because my explanation provides the answers to these sorts of questions by explaining how and why different levels of environmental representation emerge and evolve...
But my explanation does not convince you! How frustrating :) Being more specific than "I'm still not persuaded by your approach and conclusion" would help me. Where does my account seem implausible to you?

If a human mind were uploaded to a digital/virtual reality, that mind would need to be receiving sensory information immediately otherwise it would go insane. (And if Whiteian concepts such as Prehension are correct, uh oh!) The experience might be akin to floating in a salt water tank. Terrance Mckenna once said that the altered states of psychedelic experiences might prepare us for navigating the tranhumanistic landscape.

I wrote a short story (or at least the beginnings of one) about a scientist working on mind-uploading who dies and has his mind uploaded (or, as I told my wife, essentially the same plot as the movie Transcendence). I don't know how Transcendence ends, but I'm fairly certain my ending is different (although I never actually wrote out the narrative). It's very idealistic. (Also, I've edited out some narrative to just focus on the virtual aspects.)

Anyhow, here are some sections from my story if anyone cares to read them. It begins with the attempted first contact with the scientists isolated brain and the subsequent uploading of his mind.

I'll have a read on it tonight

Hi Steve. Cambridge Companion to what/whom?

... Stevens

The Cambridge Companion to Wallace Stevens - Google Books

But I was asking your opinion about this:

http://wallace-stevens.wikia.com/wiki/Homborg,_Mr.

"Thinking. Specifically, he is musing on one of "the more irritating minor ideas" to occur to him on one of his many return visits to his home in Concord, MA. The "irritating minor idea," it turns out, is not minor at all, and one must presume that it would only appear minor, and what is more only appear irritating, from the otherwise comfortably prosaic perspective of a level-headed middle-class American business person like Mr. Homburg, or like Wallace Stevens in his guise as insurance man.

The idea is this: that the functioning of the mind, and of the self, is an echo of the functioning of nature; and that nature, while its ultimate being exceeds the capacity of the mind or self to contain it, nevertheless enters into and is caught by the mind, and in shaping the mind's responses, in a sense becomes the mind--it's weather.

Thus selfhood is not separate from nature, but an intimate effect of nature. Here, Mr. Homburg, and Stevens, recall Wordsworth, who also imagined an intimate correspondence between nature and identity, as well as Coleridge, who rather famously identified perception, aka the primary imagination, as a "repetition in the finite mind of the infinite act of creation in the eternal I AM" (Biographia Literaria, chapter XIV)."

That is quite interesting ... I had a roundtable in creative writing in college and enjoyed it very much. I did an online roundtable a while back and that was good too - I think there are free sites now to post work for feedback on the writing itself.

Ezekiel's wheels?

Lots of good potential in what you've set up - you said there is more narrative that you've removed ... narrative not in what you posted here? Is this a good opportunity to finish the story? I would like to see that or at least a plot synopsis. Did your characters surprise you at any point?

I picked up a copy of The Artists Way today on a whim - about a buck, used:

The Artist's Way:Amazon:Books

Reading about "morning pages" now ... Do you know this technique?

I have not responded to Conee - perhaps I need to. He is definitely on the right track. I don't like the label Acquaintance Hypothesis because the question begs, why is there 'acquaintance', why should experience be qualitative, and what is it for experience to be qualitative? - what determines the physical experiential link? Perhaps he might like my theory because it gives his stance more ammunition because my explanation provides the answers to these sorts of questions by explaining how and why different levels of environmental representation emerge and evolve...
But my explanation does not convince you! How frustrating :) Being more specific than "I'm still not persuaded by your approach and conclusion" would help me. Where does my account seem implausible to you?

Just at the points I've highlighted in blue and where, following your analysis, you still think Mary's seeing the color red, or any color, does not add to her knowledge of being. But I'm probably the last person you or anyone could convince that I, or Mary, don't experience our phenomenal surroundings directly, even tactilely through every sense available to us. No one among the consciousness researchers I've yet read on the Mary thought experiment has yet persuaded me that Mary doesn't learn something new, essential, and vital when she is released from her b&w room. Some lines from Stevens express the directness of phenomenal experience well: ". . . the eye so played upon by clouds, / the ear so magnified by thunder." Those lines appear in the last poem in this little suite of poems by Stevens.

Tattoo

The light is like a spider.
It crawls over the water.
It crawls over the edges of the snow.
It crawls under your eyelids
And spreads its webs there --
Its two webs.

from Variations on a Summer Day

Words add to the senses. The words for the dazzle
Of mica, the dithering of grass,
The Arachne integument of dead trees,
Are the eye grown larger, more intense.

from Notes Toward a Supreme Fiction {second part: It Must Change}:

Canto IV

Two things of opposite natures seem to depend
On one another, as a man depends
On a woman, day on night, the imagined

On the real. This is the origin of change.
Winter and spring, cold copulars, embrace
And forth the particulars of rapture come.

Music falls on the silence like a sense,
A passion that we feel, not understand.
Morning and afternoon are clasped together

And North and South are an intrinsic couple
And sun and rain a plural, like two lovers
That walk away as one in the greenest body.

In solitude the trumpets of solitude
Are not of another solitude resounding;
A little string speaks for a crowd of voices.

The partaker partakes of that which changes him.
The child that touches takes character from the thing,
The body, it touches. The captain and his men

Are one and the sailor and the sea are one.
Follow after, O my companion, my fellow, my self,
Sister and solace, brother and delight.

Canto V

On a blue island in a sky-wide water
The wild orange trees continued to bloom and to bear,
Long after the planter’s death. A few limes remained,

Where his house had fallen, three scraggy trees weighted
With garbled green. These were the planter’s turquoise
And his orange blotches, these were his zero green,

A green baked greener in the greenest sun.
These were his beaches, his sea-myrtles in
White sand, his patter of the long sea-slushes.

There was an island beyond him on which rested,
An island to the South, on which rested like
A mountain, a pineapple pungent as Cuban summer.

And la-bas, la-bas, the cool bananas grew,
Hung heavily on the great banana tree,
Which pierces clouds and bends on half the world.

He thought often of the land from which he came,
How that whole country was a melon, pink
If seen rightly and yet a possible red.

An unaffected man in a negative light
Could not have borne his labor nor have died
Sighing that he should leave the banjo’s twang.

Landscape with Boat

An anti-master man, floribund ascetic.
He brushed away the thunder, then the clouds,
Then the colossal illusion of heaven. Yet still
The sky was blue. He wanted imperceptible air.
He wanted to see. He wanted the eye to see
And not be touched by blue. He wanted to know,
A naked man who regarded himself in the glass
Of air, who looked for the world beneath the blue,
Without blue, without any turquoise hint or phase,
Any azure under-side or after-color. Nabob
Of bones, he rejected, he denied, to arrive
At the neutral center, the ominous element,
The single colored, colorless, primitive.
It was not as if the truth lay where he thought,
Like a phantom, in an uncreated night.
It was easier to think it lay there. If
It was nowhere else, it was there and because
It was nowhere else, its place had to be supposed,
Itself had to be supposed, a thing supposed
In a place supposed, a thing he reached
In a place that he reached, by rejecting what he saw
And denying what he heard. He would arrive.
He had only not to live, to walk in the dark,
To be projected by one void into
Another.

It was his nature to suppose
To receive what others had supposed, without
Accepting. He received what he denied.
But as truth to be accepted, he supposed
A truth beyond all truths.

He never supposed
That he might be truth, himself, or part of it,
That the things that he rejected might be part
And the irregular turquoise part, the perceptible blue
Grown dense, part, the eye so touched, so played
Upon by clouds, the ear so magnified
By thunder, parts, and all these things together,
Parts, and more things, parts. He never supposed divine
Things might not look divine, nor that if nothing
Was divine then all things were, the world itself,
And that if nothing was the truth, then all
Things were the truth, the world itself was the truth.

Had he been better able to suppose
He might sit on a sofa on a balcony
Above the Mediterranean, emerald
Becoming emeralds. He might watch the palms
Flap green ears in the heat. He might observe
A yellow wine and follow a steamer's track
And say, "The thing I hum appears to be
The rhythm of this celestial pantomime."

--Wallace Stevens

... Stevens

The Cambridge Companion to Wallace Stevens - Google Books

But I was asking your opinion about this:

http://wallace-stevens.wikia.com/wiki/Homborg,_Mr.

"Thinking. Specifically, he is musing on one of "the more irritating minor ideas" to occur to him on one of his many return visits to his home in Concord, MA. The "irritating minor idea," it turns out, is not minor at all, and one must presume that it would only appear minor, and what is more only appear irritating, from the otherwise comfortably prosaic perspective of a level-headed middle-class American business person like Mr. Homburg, or like Wallace Stevens in his guise as insurance man.

The idea is this: that the functioning of the mind, and of the self, is an echo of the functioning of nature; and that nature, while its ultimate being exceeds the capacity of the mind or self to contain it, nevertheless enters into and is caught by the mind, and in shaping the mind's responses, in a sense becomes the mind--it's weather.

Thus selfhood is not separate from nature, but an intimate effect of nature. Here, Mr. Homburg, and Stevens, recall Wordsworth, who also imagined an intimate correspondence between nature and identity, as well as Coleridge, who rather famously identified perception, aka the primary imagination, as a "repetition in the finite mind of the infinite act of creation in the eternal I AM" (Biographia Literaria, chapter XIV)."

That's pretty good. Stevens read Emerson at various times in his life (and was inspired by E's essays on nature), but he was not a Transcendentalist. Nor was he a Kantian Idealist as is suggested in the paragraph you cited concerning "Looking Across the Fields . . .' in the Cambridge Companion. In my opinion (and that of others) he became a phenomenological thinker in his poetic explorations of the relationship of mind and nature, reality and imagination. I was browsing tonight in another paper from the Cambridge Companion partly available at Google Books (thanks to your citing these essays) where the author cites one of Stevens's Adagia (journal entries):

“Every poem is a poem within a poem: the poem of the idea within the poem of the words.” (912)

The author continues: “Stevens commonly considers the relationship between reality and the imagination at the moment of perception. . . . The perceiver has difficulty finding himself in the act of perception.” This is very good and accurate concerning Stevens; the relationship between 'reality' and 'imagination' was his major preoccupation in several essays and in all the poems. As a poet he realized that he could never free himself from imagination in writing poetry, but he cautioned others about the importance of using imagination in close adherence to reality, by which he meant what appears to us phenomenally in its 'minute particulars'. Merleau-Ponty wrote in the Phenomenology of Perception "the imagination is present in the first human perception." He meant that our contribution to what appears is always to see it from a given perspective, in terms of a gestalt, to sense and see that that which is visible from one vantage point usually obscures that which is invisible behind it in the 'depth' of the world that grounds our "perceptual faith" in the reality of the world. Our personal knowledge is always partial, perspectival, temporal, but we learn more about the nature of reality, MP writes, by 'multiplying' our own perspectives and by comparing them with the perspectives of others.

The last statement I quoted above (from another paper in the Cambridge Companion) intrigued me: "The perceiver has difficulty finding himself in the act of perception." That's a very ramifying insight, and I immediately recognized the soundness of it as applied to Stevens's poetry, but I had never thought before about this "difficulty of finding himself in the act of perception." The author might have been referring to the frequent subtle changes of mind that take place in some of Stevens's longer meditative poems. One line that springs to mind refers to "the changes of degrees of perception in the scholar's dark." But the author might go on to develop that insight regarding the poet's/persona's "difficulty of finding himself in the act of perception" in terms of the ambiguity of perceptive experience in many poems when, closely attending to a particular thing, the poet has become so entangled or enmeshed with that thing that the description and the described cannot be separated.* I need to find out, so I am ordering a copy of the Cambridge Companion tonight. Thanks to you, Steve. ;)

*A joyful addendum: He ends one poem focused on a description of a plum with the statement that "The plum survives its poems."

Last edited:
This is the Morning Pages exercise.

It's a form of meditation - written meditation (long hand is best) it clears the mind, "primes the pump" and turns down the Censor, the inner critic.

Good for any creative work. It may bring up unexpected ideas or answers too.

Morning Pages | Julia Cameron Live

That's pretty good. Stevens read Emerson at various times in his life (and was inspired by E's essays on nature), but he was not a Transcendentalist. Nor was he a Kantian Idealist as is suggested in the paragraph you cited concerning "Looking Across the Fields . . .' in the Cambridge Companion. In my opinion (and that of others) he became a phenomenological thinker in his poetic explorations of the relationship of mind and nature, reality and imagination. I was browsing tonight in another paper from the Cambridge Companion partly available at Google Books (thanks to your citing these essays) where the author cites one of Stevens's Adagia (journal entries):

“Every poem is a poem within a poem: the poem of the idea within the poem of the words.” (912)

The author continues: “Stevens commonly considers the relationship between reality and the imagination at the moment of perception. . . . The perceiver has difficulty finding himself in the act of perception.” This is very good and accurate concerning Stevens; the relationship between 'reality' and 'imagination' was his major preoccupation in several essays and in all the poems. As a poet he realized that he could never free himself from imagination in writing poetry, but he cautioned others about the importance of using imagination in close adherence to reality, by which he meant what appears to us phenomenally in its 'minute particulars'. Merleau-Ponty wrote in the Phenomenology of Perception "the imagination is present in the first human perception." He meant that our contribution to what appears is always to see it from a given perspective, in terms of a gestalt, to sense and see that that which is visible from one vantage point usually obscures that which is invisible behind it in the 'depth' of the world that grounds our "perceptual faith" in the reality of the world. Our personal knowledge is always partial, perspectival, temporal, but we learn more about the nature of reality, MP writes, by 'multiplying' our own perspectives and by comparing them with the perspectives of others.

The last statement I quoted above (from another paper in the Cambridge Companion) intrigued me: "The perceiver has difficulty finding himself in the act of perception." That's a very ramifying insight, and I immediately recognized the soundness of it as applied to Stevens's poetry, but I had never thought before about this "difficulty of finding himself in the act of perception." The author might have been referring to the frequent subtle changes of mind that take place in some of Stevens's longer meditative poems. One line that springs to mind refers to "the changes of degrees of perception in the scholar's dark." But the author might go on to develop that insight regarding the poet's/persona's "difficulty of finding himself in the act of perception" in terms of the ambiguity of perceptive experience in many poems when, closely attending to a particular thing, the poet has become so entangled or enmeshed with that thing that the description and the described cannot be separated.* I need to find out, so I am ordering a copy of the Cambridge Companion tonight. Thanks to you, Steve. ;)

*A joyful addendum: He ends one poem focused on a description of a plum with the statement that "The plum survives its poems."

"Every poem is a poem within a poem: the poem of the idea within the poem of the words.”

Yes, we can represent that as follows:

Wo(Po(po(idea)em)em)rds

Poem of the idea within the poem of the words! ;-)

I found the quote:

"perceiver has difficulty finding himself in the act of perception"

Is this Stevens difficulty? Or a more general problem for human perception?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back