• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re a new qualitative ontology strongly emerging from replication and adaptiation.

I too took this to mean the emergence/eruption of something non-physical into existence.

I used the term radical incorrectly. :embarrassed face: The word I was looking for was something along the lines of "bold." Sorry. Carry on.

Last edited:
@smcder

Re the intentional stance and theory of mind

I know I’m not the only one to wonder about the following, but I want to bounce this off of you.

The IS/TOM are the ability/practice of attributing (or acting as if) mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc.— to others. (We’ll leave oneself out of it for a moment.)

So for examples:

One might watch an ant walking towards a sugar cube and think “he’s probably happy that he found the sugar. He loves sweet stuff. He wants to take it back to the colony to feed the others.”

The trick here is that the ant may indeed be phenomenally experiencing happiness, and he may feel love toward the sugar, and he may be feeling a desire (want) to take it to his colony. Right? At this point, theoretically, we can’t say yes or no for sure.

(2) A robot moving around on a table is able to avoid the edge of the table and rest at a battery charging spot to recharge. We might think “it doesn’t want to fall off the edge and break. It’s low on power so it want to recharge.” We probably wouldn’t say it was “happy” to recharge… but if there was a glowing, pulsing green light while it was recharging, I imagine some children might say/think it was feeling happy.

So is this situation equally tricky? I think most people would say no. I’m guessing that would use two arguments: (1) The ant is more complex than any robot, therefore the ant is really conscious and the robot is not, or (2) the ant is made of carbon/is alive, the robot is made of metal/is not living. (May actually be two different arguments.)

But what about the following scenario:

(3) Earth is visited by a flying saucer. Out step two humanoids. They move and “talk” fluidly. For all intents and purposes they appear to be organic. However, these beings share that they are not organic. And yet, they share that they still need to “breath” “eat” and “drink” to recharge. They even smile when they “eat.” Furthermore, after 2 days of visiting, the two beings “give birth” to a 3rd humanoid by combining structured materials taken from each of them. These beings ask many questions and seem to explore and inspect all around them.

Human observers think to themselves “my, these aliens sure are curious. They want to learn all about us and Earth. They enjoy eating too. And exploring.

If asked, could we say whether these beings had phenomenal consciousness? What about our 2 arguments: complexity and living? These aliens appear to be both complex--at least as complex as humans--and alive. We can easily attribute beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge to them...

But are they really phenomenally conscious, or are they just complex automata?

As you know, some scientists and philosophers apparently believe that no organisms except humans are phenomenally conscious and that all are automata. Some even believe that humans are automata.

Although to complicate things, some also believe that humans and some organisms may possess phenomenal consciousness (beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge) but that these things are epiphenomenal.

So I guess the question I’m asking @smcder, the curious thing, is that we can use the IS and TOM to makes sense/predictions about objects we encounter (even bouncy balls, storms, etc.) but we do--at the same time--believe that some objects (namely organisms) actually have minds, right?

It seems that the main benefit of the IS and TOM is to help us understand and make predictions about the behaviors of complex objects, namely organisms.

This has led some people to suggest that our minds, indeed, serve the same purpose. That is, our bodies are made up of trillions of cells, dozens of organs, and multiple body parts that all must “pull” together for a common cause. Survival.

How do we get all these players on the same page? Relatively simple input-output mechanisms only go so far. At some point, a more flexible, responsive, real-time, UNIFIED, control mechanism is needed. Furthermore, sometimes short term needs/wants need to be put aside in favor of long-term needs/wants, and on and on. Where will we ever find such a thing!?

Interestingly, the unified, phenomenal mind that we humans possess would seem to fit the bill, right?

But… the hard problem, overdetermination, and downward causation. (Not too mention the binding problem.) Damn! But it makes sooo much sense for our phenomenal minds to play a central role in flexibly, responsively, spatiotemporally, on-the-fly, and unitedly guiding, well, ourselves.

But… the hard problem, overdetermination, and downward causation.

You already know my approach to overcoming this tetralemma, monism.

When I get more moments, I will explain why I don’t think “idealism” has (indeed can’t have) the same problems as material-physicalism in reverse.

You'd enjoy Braitenberg's little book Vehicles and it doesn't take long to read and the illustrations are fun.

lab03.illustration.gif

A New Theory Explains How Consciousness Evolved

"epiphenomenalism" is a bit problematic, too - is it far to characterize it as "going along for the ride"? Has Libet's work been done on people with very different concepts of agency? Or, as I've suggested, could we use Libet's experiment to see if we could skew or beat through the curve through feedback - a kind of video game, the character on the screen uses the rising action potential to react ahead of you and you try to beat that or suppress it - does Libet measure how our brains have to work? Maybe Free(r) Wills are trainable?

I suspect our total phenomenal experience could in no way be described as being 20 ms behind when we actually decide to do something - but even so, that gap may just be what it is like to be human - are our wills any the freer? I suspect we might not have survived if we had to bring in to full phenomenal conscious all of our decisive process, nevertheless we learn by reviewing those process and then respond (ahead ourselves!) the next time - that's why we aren't as forgiving as you might think for various "slips" and we can always slow down and be more deliberate. The main point is really this:
  • what work do we expect phenomenal experience qua phenomenal experience to really do? and absent that causal potency, are we any less human? I suspect there are very good reasons for those built in gaps
That does leave the problem of why have consciousness at all? Would a zombie outperform us for not having PE? Maybe - but that goes back to things like SD - Zombie's may not be possible, higher intelligence may entail consciousness or maybe it was just the path evolution took on Earth or maybe one in every person IS a zombie ...

The safe bet I think though is to assume it does have a purpose, evidenced by the biological costs of having it - it's there for a reason - we are conscious and experience things for a reason and that consciousness exerts a real force in the world - maybe we need to step out of the paradigm and look at more exotic options, and that's fine for people to do that, but maybe we're just impatient - is it time to give up on some kind of explanation (that could itself be very radical) but that comes out of the explanatory bases and tools we have now?

soupie: While I don't believe these provide us with the germs of phenomenality or sentience/feeling, I do think—as I've noted—that they provide the germs of "subjective" points of view.

smcder: I'm not following how that is radical? I am interpreting "qualitative ontology" as consciousness
qualitative ontology is not conscious. But consciousness is dependent on physiology

I am assuming that at least some biologists/scientists would "standardly" think consciousness has a role to play ... that the idea that it does would at least not be radical - even if they can't "explain" it?

here is the work of Panksepp we have looked at ... @Pharoah I believe you had some contact with Panksepp
yes... he was a nice dood.

so if we contruct a Braitenberg vehicle with Mnemotrix and use a genetic algorithm to evolve its relationship to the environment, would we expect, under the right conditions for such a vehicle to become sentient? Braitenberg says yes, well prior to recent advances in memristors and genetic algorithms - HCT also says "yes"
Not sure HCT says yes?
I'm not sure what you all mean by sentience. Define please.

HCT is a framework that says why consciousness evolves - because it has evolutionary benefit to the organism, but I think a lot of people say that
Yes... but HCT is more about explaining phenomenal experience and why it is qualitative. Part 2 intends to demonstrate how subjective embedded characteristics arise. Thise characteristics are what we understand aw conscious experience, namely a world that is spatiotemporally and qualitatively differentiated.

The question @Soupie raises above about "judging brains" vs judging people I think sorts the three positions: CR, HCT and phenomenology nicely. I illustrated this indirectly with my response to his question of why don't we try and answer our own questions about HCT? I gave him HCT's answer when he wanted more of a "folk" or phenomenological answer - and yet, it's not clear HCT sees either as relevant - on the other hand its not easy to see why he would ask such a question if HCT were true in the first place - every theory that purports to explain everything, has to explain itself - that means HCT has to be a plausible result of HCT AND it means every question you might ask of someone else, is already answered by HCT, so too is your own frustration at having to ask such a question.
I don't really understand this. Could you rephrase for my benefit please

s. @Pharoah and HCT answer "why phenomenal" consciousness by "saying" because it's adaptive. As you note, many people say this. What pharoah/hct fail to "show" is why it's adaptive. It's not enough to say it is, why it is must be shown. In this regard, HCT has not overcome overdetermination. HCT does not show any adaptive work that phenomenal consciousness does that is not already done by "physiological mechanisms.
Of cours, consciousness is adaptive... easily covered by others, but HCT is more about why consciousness has the content it has, i.e. and it is about answering Nagel on how subjectivity comes out of objectivity. Nagel said answering this would take us 400 years. So I think HCT is radical.

Pharoah/HCT is all about processes, not substrates. The processes of replication, adaption, delineating, weighting, assimilating, etc.
processs yes. The problem for AC is not the neural bit but the physiology which has evolved qualitatively relevant mechanisms... though AI will be able to fake it! as per IS.

It seems (I think) that HCT argues that phenomenality/sentience strongly emerges from these processes.

What is it about?
"It is radical and nothing remotely like it has been said before."
That is an absolutely enormous claim in philosophy - and it claims a very broad familiarity with the enormous number of theories that precede it, which is unlikely for one person to have, which is why theories are put out there and not developed in isolation - in fact, it would be an unprecedented one in modern times - even the most radical theories (think of Relativity) were immediately understood by some of Einstein's peers and then eventually (could be) understood by practically everyone - we have books in the JNF section that explain relativity ... even within a year (without the internet) the community appreciated what he had done.
What tends to happen at this juncture is that you get very frustrated which is very understandable - but so do we, because it's hard to imagine that what is radical about this claim can't be put into a fairly brief statement or at least indicated obliquely by drawing out some of its consequences - which is why I have asked for what predictions HCT makes or how could it be supported by evidence?
done radical above
realivity would not have been accepted without the maths. Also, there were observed paradoxes in science that it satisified.
Frustrated yes... but I am working on that.
Evidence: how? advances in biochemistry...mI reckon applying optogenetics and the other one I can't remember that Panksepp suggested to me.
logic: intuitively sensible. Unified idea across the entire hierarchy. Compliance with critical analysis.
Major prediction: there is another evolutionary step for mankind that will be as drastic as the evolution of ape to hominid/mankind. I have worked on this for a while, but until this first comprehension step is solved there is little point...
AC is only possible with the artificial equivalent of qualitative assmilation that biochemical mechanisms determine... ie a fake evolutionary component.

Can we see the how bit? I would think that would be the most radical part and the part you would want to publish?

What do you mean by "simplify the conceptual task for the reviewers"?
how bit? too much else going on atm
Not to give reviewers too much to think about... The more they think the more they question the more they doubt.. What the hell, one said it was the best thing since slices bread, the other said its was incoherent

Re a new qualitative ontology strongly emerging from replication and adaptiation.

I too took this to mean the emergence/eruption of something non-physical into existence.

I used the term radical incorrectly. :embarrassed face: The word I was looking for was something along the lines of "bold." Sorry. Carry on.
Not non-physical. That is one of the interesting things. The ontology transcends objectivity, as in, matter interacting in a cause effect kind of way. (You could say physicalism is not just materialism.) The physical mechanisms instead react in a qualitatively pertinent way to objective interaction... it is still physical, but the ontology is unique to the mechanism.
I'll take bold, which reminds me @Constance WHF score was a bit of brit humour gone dyslexically wrong.

Merleau-Ponty's Human-Animality Intertwining and the Animal Question
Louise Westling, University of Oregon

Abstract: Maurice Merleau-Ponty's late work locates humans within a wild or brute being that sustains a synergy among life forms. His Nature lectures explored the philosophical implications of evolutionary biology and animal studies, and with The Visible and the Invisible describe a horizontal kinship between humans and other animals. This work offers a striking alternative to Heidegger's panicky insistence on an abyss between humans and other animals that Derrida questions but cannot seem to discard. For Merleau-Ponty, literary works probe the invisible realm of wildness that is our only environment, a realm full of language and meaningfully experienced by all animals.

Maurice Merleau-Ponty's late work defines a chiasmic ontology in which human
experience is part of a wild or brute being that sustains all life and provides a synergy among its distinct forms. His Nature lectures at the Collège de France explored the philosophical implications of modern science, including evolutionary biology and animal studies, and together with the unfinished manuscript of The Visible and the Invisible gestured toward a horizontal kinship between humans. This work offers a striking alternative to Heidegger's panicky insistence on the abyss between humans and other animals, an abyss that Derrida questions but cannot seem to discard in The Animal that Therefore I Am.
Matthew Calarco wonders why Derrida would resolutely refuse to abandon the human/animal distinction and "why he would use this language of ruptures and abysses when the largest bodies of empirical knowledge we have concerning human beings and animals strongly contest such language."1 But Derrida explicitly resists any claims of "biological continuism, whose sinister connotations we are well aware of . . . ."2 As a Jew he might have been particularly aware of the cruel history of Social Darwinism, eugenics and animal coding for abjecting human groups during the twentieth century. However, accepting a continuum between our species and

1 Zoographies: The Question of the Animal from Heidegger to Derrida (New York: Coumbia U P, 2008) pp. 145, 147. Further citations will be in parentheses in the text.
2 The Animal That Therefore I Am, ed. Marie-Louise Mallet and trans. David Wills (New York: Fordham University Press, 2008), pp 30-31.

other creatures need not lead to extremes such as Social Darwinism or some of the excesses of sociobiology and Neo-Darwinism which include humans within mechanistic and reductionist descriptions of organic behavior. A continuum would instead imply that many kinds of consciousness and perception evolved over the hundreds of millennia of life's emergence. Human sentience would then be understood as one of many kinds of animal awareness, as the work of Jakob von Uexküll asserts. Neither humans nor other animals could then be dismissed
deterministically as mechanisms; instead they would have to be recognized as active participants shaping the many meanings of the biological community. This is the minority position voiced so strongly in the Renaissance by Montaigne in "The Apology for Raymond Sebond" and by Darwin in The Descent of Man in the nineteenth century.3

Evolutionary biology, recent archeological finds, and empirical animal studies have
erased much of the distance between homo sapiens and our coevolved animal relatives such as the great apes, dolphins, elephants, and even parrots.4 The Humanist tradition of insistence on our separateness from the rest of the animal community seems increasingly absurd, in ways that Merleau-Ponty's proto-ecological philosophy anticipated. Although he acknowledged the
distinctive qualities of human communication and art, he saw them as having developed from gestural meaning that is fully enmeshed in the phenomenal world. The varieties of human

3 Calarco sees Derrida's position as a solution to a false dilemma, a choice between extremes of complete separation between humans and other animals, or reductive homogeneity, Zoographies, p. 149.
4 See for example Lynn Margulis, Symbiotic Planet: A New Look at Evolution (New York: Basic Books, 1998); Nicholas Wade, Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors (New York: Penguin, 2006); Stephen Mithin, After the Ice: A Global Human History (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard U P, 2004); Sue Savage-Rumbaugh, "Chapter 1: Bringing Up Kanzi" in Apes, Language, and the Human Mind. Sue Savage-Rumbaugh, Stuart G. Shanker, and Talbot J. Taylor (New York: Oxford U P, 1998), pp. 3-74; Frans De Waal, The Ape and the Sushi Master: Cultural Reflections of a Primatologist (New York: Basic Books, 2001); Caitlin O'Connell. The Elephant's Secret Sense: The Hidden Life of the Wild Herds of Africa (Chicago: U Chicago P, 2008); and Irene Pepperberg, Alex and Me (New York: Barnes and Noble, 2008).

speech are our particular ways of "singing the world."5 For him, literary works probe the invisible realm of wildness that is our only environment, a realm that he saw as full of language and meaningfully experienced by all animals. Strangely Merleau-Ponty is rarely mentioned by most participants in the recent spate of critical animal studies stimulated by Derrida's reevaluation of Heidegger's position.6 In these
writings, only Donna Haraway, Matthew Calarco, and Cary Wolfe have seriously challenged Derrida's resistance to the idea of biological continuism. Why might that be, when Merleau-Ponty's work so closely accords with much postmodern theory as well as with the concerns of present environmental and animal studies debates? Already in the 1950s he was moving beyond human exceptionism and seriously exploring the philosophical consequences of biological and ethological research. Taylor Carman and Mark Hansen believe one reason is that Merleau-Ponty's premature death prevented the full development of his philosophical project. They also suggest that his reputation fell victim to the radical spirit of 1968 which led a younger generation including Derrida, Lacan, and Foucault to lump Merleau-Ponty together with Husserl and Sartre and to accuse phenomenology of humanist focus on consciousness, or subjectivism.7

That charge could not have been made if his late writings and lectures had been well
known. Not only did he reject that kind of focus on human consciousness, but his lifelong engagement with science took him well beyond the positions of other phenomenologists.8 His attitude toward scientific thought was not uncritical,

5 Phenomenology of Perception. Trans. Colin Smith (London: Routledge, 2000), pp. 179, 187.
6 See for example, Giorgio Agamben, The Open: Man and Animal (Stanford, Stanford U P, 2004); Kelly Oliver, "Stopping the Anthropological Machine: Agamben with Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty." PhaenEx 2 (Fall/Winter 2007): 1-23; Donna Haraway, When Species Meet (Minneapolis: U of Minnesota P, 2008); Timothy Morton, "Ecologocentrism: Unworking Animals." SubStance 117 (2008): 73-96; Calarco, Zoographies, see Note 1 above; and the PMLA special "Animal Studies" series in Vol. 124 (March 2009): 472-575, especially Cary Wolfe's contribution, "Human, All Too Human: 'Animal Studies' and the Humanities," 564-575.
7 Introduction, The Cambridge Companion to Merleau-Ponty. Ed. Taylor Carman and Mark B. N. Hansen (New York: Cambridge U P, 2008) p. 22.
8 Merleau-Ponty's position on human-animal relations in this late work is complicated by its unfinished quality. The posthumously published manuscript of The Visible and the Invisible was relatively polished and carefully worked out as far as it went, but as translator Robert Vallier explains, the Nature lectures are preserved only in an anonymous student's notes and Merleau-Ponty's own scribbled notes for the final course of 1959-1960. See "Translator's Introduction," Nature: Course Notes from the Collège de France, compiled and with notes by Dominique Sélgard and trans. Robert Vallier (Evanston: Northwestern U P, 2003) p. xiv. Even so, the notes show Merleau-Ponty testing out the meaning of specific research in the life sciences and exploring their philosophical consequences.

however, for he believed it to be limited by objectivism and its failure to acknowledge its situatedness within culture. For him, "classical science is a form of perception which loses sight of its origins and believes itself complete;"9 its theories and schematizations are "an abstract and derivative sign-language, as is geography in relation to the countryside in which we have learnt beforehand what a forest, a prairie or a river is."10 But he also saw that scientists provided the most carefully regulated available attention to the natural world. All through his career he closely connected his arguments to relevant scientific research. In particular he relied upon Gestalt psychology and the disciplines of neuroscience during the 1930s and 1940s; and explored physics, animal studies, human physiology, and evolutionary biology in the 1950s. He saw philosophy and science as complementary explorations of the world and thus necessarily engaged in productive dialogue with one another.

The Visible and the Invisible is unequivocal in asserting the essential wildness of Being and the intertwining or chiasmic relationships among all creatures and things in the dynamic unfolding of reality through evolutionary time. Human beings, like all other living things, are immersed in this flesh of the world, within "a spatial and temporal pulp where the individuals are formed by differentiation."11 Within this flesh, species and individual organisms manifest not only formal resemblances but also identical constituting substances, i. e. atoms, molecules, and microorganisms that embody or mirror biological macrocosms. Heidegger would be horrified to think that each human or other animal body was itself a symbiotic community of many tinier bodies. Yet this new understanding would not have troubled Merleau-Ponty, who asked, "Why would not the synergy exist among different organisms, if it is possible within each? Their landscapes interweave, their actions and their passions fit together exactly . . . ."12 When Alphonso Lingis describes the hundreds of bacteria inhabiting our mouths to neutralize plant toxins or those digesting the food in our intestines,13 he is extending this point to recent discoveries about the genetic and cellular make-up of our bodies which came long after Merleau-Ponty's death but which show that the symbiotic intertwinings within each organism do indeed mirror those outside them. But Merleau-Ponty's concepts of écart and dehiscence account for distinctions among living creatures at the same time that there is kinship and continuism. The analogy he uses to explain this situation is that of our two hands both touching and being touched by each other, both parts of the same body but also distinct from each other. As it is with our two hands, so it is also between our conscious awareness of our body and its inaccessible inner thickness, between our movements and what we touch, and between us and other kindred creatures. This is a synergy of "overlapping and fission, identity and difference."14

In the Nature lectures, Merleau-Ponty acknowledged biological continuism by
considering the meaning of new work in evolutionary biology and discussing the silent emergence of humans and their horizontal relationship to other species that Teilhard de Chardin had defined in The Phenomenon of Man . . . ."

continue at:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/49ba/77e030c3eec09b5b44a56de7725f4d1a9049.pdf

Last edited:
if we contruct a Braitenberg vehicle with Mnemotrix and use a genetic algorithm to evolve its relationship to the environment, would we expect, under the right conditions for such a vehicle to become sentient? Braitenberg says yes, well prior to recent advances in memristors and genetic algorithms - HCT also says "yes" - (unless, of course, sentience is substrate dependent ... )

As @Pharoah asked in response to this comment, what do you mean by 'sentience'? (We've had this problem with ambiguous terminology throughout our years in this thread.)

I'm also curious about what "a genetic algorithm" would be and how it would work; that is, how could a computer algorithm function in the complex ways in which genetics functions in interaction with biological substances?

As @Pharoah asked in response to this comment, what do you mean by 'sentience'? (We've had this problem with ambiguous terminology throughout our years in this thread.)

I'm also curious about what "a genetic algorithm" would be and how it would work; that is, how could a computer algorithm function in the complex ways in which genetics functions in interaction with biological substances?

Sentience

@Pharoah (on Wednesday) writes:
"I can understand why someone might argue that sentience is there from the start."

from part 9
@Constance writes:
"Indeed, neither Idealism nor Physicalism can alone constitute the grounds for an ontology that takes account of, recognizes, what we and other animals experience transactually as beings in the world. @Soupie asserts that 'we don't have any reason for accepting the view that feeling is a property that emerges from physical processes. In fact, given the HP, we have reason to doubt this view'. I think, on the contrary, that we have many reasons to accept the view that 'feeling' -- sensation, awareness, and sentience -- emerge and evolve with lifefrom formerly evolved and apparently unconscious, nonsentient, physical processes in the history of the universe."

I did a search on "sentience" and it has been used numerous times throughout the thread. The phrase "sapience and sentience" is often seen in the philosophical literature - to mean "knowledge and feeling", respectively.

Sentience is the capacity to feel, perceive or experience subjectively.

@Constance

It can't! But genetic algorithms have been around for some time and have been used to solve some problems that would be very difficult for conventional computing strategies. In the same way that artificial neural networks purport to simulate key aspects of biological neural networks, genetic algorithms try to mimic the essential aspects of evolutionary processes - there are a number of online simulations and even web pages that show you how to code genetic algorithms in common computer languages - there are even phone apps that demonstrate the process - it's fascinating ... but of course it cannot, as @Constance says:

function in the complex ways in which genetics functions in interaction with biological substances?

Last edited:
I think, on the contrary, that we have many reasons to accept the view that 'feeling' -- sensation, awareness, and sentience -- emerge and evolve with lifefrom formerly evolved and apparently unconscious, nonsentient, physical processes in the history of the universe.
Beautifully said, Smcder.

I would say that we have reason to believe that sentience/feeling evolves with life, but it's hard to see--following the HP and MBP--how sentience/feeling could weakly emerge from non-sentient/-feeling processes. But then again, if it did Strongly Emerge with these processes, we wouldn't be able to "see" anyhow.

I would say that we have reason to believe that sentience/feeling evolves with life, but it's hard to see--following the HP and MBP--how sentience/feeling could weakly emerge from non-sentient/-feeling processes. But then again, if it did Strongly Emerge with these processes, we wouldn't be able to "see" anyhow.

That's @Constance's quote - let me edit my post for clarity. I was using example quotes where @Pharoah and @Constance had used the word "sentience".

Merleau-Ponty's Human-Animality Intertwining and the Animal Question
Louise Westling, University of Oregon

Abstract: Maurice Merleau-Ponty's late work locates humans within a wild or brute being that sustains a synergy among life forms. His Nature lectures explored the philosophical implications of evolutionary biology and animal studies, and with The Visible and the Invisible describe a horizontal kinship between humans and other animals. This work offers a striking alternative to Heidegger's panicky insistence on an abyss between humans and other animals that Derrida questions but cannot seem to discard. For Merleau-Ponty, literary works probe the invisible realm of wildness that is our only environment, a realm full of language and meaningfully experienced by all animals.

Maurice Merleau-Ponty's late work defines a chiasmic ontology in which human
experience is part of a wild or brute being that sustains all life and provides a synergy among its distinct forms. His Nature lectures at the Collège de France explored the philosophical implications of modern science, including evolutionary biology and animal studies, and together with the unfinished manuscript of The Visible and the Invisible gestured toward a horizontal kinship between humans. This work offers a striking alternative to Heidegger's panicky insistence on the abyss between humans and other animals, an abyss that Derrida questions but cannot seem to discard in The Animal that Therefore I Am.
Matthew Calarco wonders why Derrida would resolutely refuse to abandon the human/animal distinction and "why he would use this language of ruptures and abysses when the largest bodies of empirical knowledge we have concerning human beings and animals strongly contest such language."1 But Derrida explicitly resists any claims of "biological continuism, whose sinister connotations we are well aware of . . . ."2 As a Jew he might have been particularly aware of the cruel history of Social Darwinism, eugenics and animal coding for abjecting human groups during the twentieth century. However, accepting a continuum between our species and

1 Zoographies: The Question of the Animal from Heidegger to Derrida (New York: Coumbia U P, 2008) pp. 145, 147. Further citations will be in parentheses in the text.
2 The Animal That Therefore I Am, ed. Marie-Louise Mallet and trans. David Wills (New York: Fordham University Press, 2008), pp 30-31.

other creatures need not lead to extremes such as Social Darwinism or some of the excesses of sociobiology and Neo-Darwinism which include humans within mechanistic and reductionist descriptions of organic behavior. A continuum would instead imply that many kinds of consciousness and perception evolved over the hundreds of millennia of life's emergence. Human sentience would then be understood as one of many kinds of animal awareness, as the work of Jakob von Uexküll asserts. Neither humans nor other animals could then be dismissed
deterministically as mechanisms; instead they would have to be recognized as active participants shaping the many meanings of the biological community. This is the minority position voiced so strongly in the Renaissance by Montaigne in "The Apology for Raymond Sebond" and by Darwin in The Descent of Man in the nineteenth century.3

Evolutionary biology, recent archeological finds, and empirical animal studies have
erased much of the distance between homo sapiens and our coevolved animal relatives such as the great apes, dolphins, elephants, and even parrots.4 The Humanist tradition of insistence on our separateness from the rest of the animal community seems increasingly absurd, in ways that Merleau-Ponty's proto-ecological philosophy anticipated. Although he acknowledged the
distinctive qualities of human communication and art, he saw them as having developed from gestural meaning that is fully enmeshed in the phenomenal world. The varieties of human

3 Calarco sees Derrida's position as a solution to a false dilemma, a choice between extremes of complete separation between humans and other animals, or reductive homogeneity, Zoographies, p. 149.
4 See for example Lynn Margulis, Symbiotic Planet: A New Look at Evolution (New York: Basic Books, 1998); Nicholas Wade, Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors (New York: Penguin, 2006); Stephen Mithin, After the Ice: A Global Human History (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard U P, 2004); Sue Savage-Rumbaugh, "Chapter 1: Bringing Up Kanzi" in Apes, Language, and the Human Mind. Sue Savage-Rumbaugh, Stuart G. Shanker, and Talbot J. Taylor (New York: Oxford U P, 1998), pp. 3-74; Frans De Waal, The Ape and the Sushi Master: Cultural Reflections of a Primatologist (New York: Basic Books, 2001); Caitlin O'Connell. The Elephant's Secret Sense: The Hidden Life of the Wild Herds of Africa (Chicago: U Chicago P, 2008); and Irene Pepperberg, Alex and Me (New York: Barnes and Noble, 2008).

speech are our particular ways of "singing the world."5 For him, literary works probe the invisible realm of wildness that is our only environment, a realm that he saw as full of language and meaningfully experienced by all animals. Strangely Merleau-Ponty is rarely mentioned by most participants in the recent spate of critical animal studies stimulated by Derrida's reevaluation of Heidegger's position.6 In these
writings, only Donna Haraway, Matthew Calarco, and Cary Wolfe have seriously challenged Derrida's resistance to the idea of biological continuism. Why might that be, when Merleau-Ponty's work so closely accords with much postmodern theory as well as with the concerns of present environmental and animal studies debates? Already in the 1950s he was moving beyond human exceptionism and seriously exploring the philosophical consequences of biological and ethological research. Taylor Carman and Mark Hansen believe one reason is that Merleau-Ponty's premature death prevented the full development of his philosophical project. They also suggest that his reputation fell victim to the radical spirit of 1968 which led a younger generation including Derrida, Lacan, and Foucault to lump Merleau-Ponty together with Husserl and Sartre and to accuse phenomenology of humanist focus on consciousness, or subjectivism.7

That charge could not have been made if his late writings and lectures had been well
known. Not only did he reject that kind of focus on human consciousness, but his lifelong engagement with science took him well beyond the positions of other phenomenologists.8 His attitude toward scientific thought was not uncritical,

5 Phenomenology of Perception. Trans. Colin Smith (London: Routledge, 2000), pp. 179, 187.
6 See for example, Giorgio Agamben, The Open: Man and Animal (Stanford, Stanford U P, 2004); Kelly Oliver, "Stopping the Anthropological Machine: Agamben with Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty." PhaenEx 2 (Fall/Winter 2007): 1-23; Donna Haraway, When Species Meet (Minneapolis: U of Minnesota P, 2008); Timothy Morton, "Ecologocentrism: Unworking Animals." SubStance 117 (2008): 73-96; Calarco, Zoographies, see Note 1 above; and the PMLA special "Animal Studies" series in Vol. 124 (March 2009): 472-575, especially Cary Wolfe's contribution, "Human, All Too Human: 'Animal Studies' and the Humanities," 564-575.
7 Introduction, The Cambridge Companion to Merleau-Ponty. Ed. Taylor Carman and Mark B. N. Hansen (New York: Cambridge U P, 2008) p. 22.
8 Merleau-Ponty's position on human-animal relations in this late work is complicated by its unfinished quality. The posthumously published manuscript of The Visible and the Invisible was relatively polished and carefully worked out as far as it went, but as translator Robert Vallier explains, the Nature lectures are preserved only in an anonymous student's notes and Merleau-Ponty's own scribbled notes for the final course of 1959-1960. See "Translator's Introduction," Nature: Course Notes from the Collège de France, compiled and with notes by Dominique Sélgard and trans. Robert Vallier (Evanston: Northwestern U P, 2003) p. xiv. Even so, the notes show Merleau-Ponty testing out the meaning of specific research in the life sciences and exploring their philosophical consequences.

however, for he believed it to be limited by objectivism and its failure to acknowledge its situatedness within culture. For him, "classical science is a form of perception which loses sight of its origins and believes itself complete;"9 its theories and schematizations are "an abstract and derivative sign-language, as is geography in relation to the countryside in which we have learnt beforehand what a forest, a prairie or a river is."10 But he also saw that scientists provided the most carefully regulated available attention to the natural world. All through his career he closely connected his arguments to relevant scientific research. In particular he relied upon Gestalt psychology and the disciplines of neuroscience during the 1930s and 1940s; and explored physics, animal studies, human physiology, and evolutionary biology in the 1950s. He saw philosophy and science as complementary explorations of the world and thus necessarily engaged in productive dialogue with one another.

The Visible and the Invisible is unequivocal in asserting the essential wildness of Being and the intertwining or chiasmic relationships among all creatures and things in the dynamic unfolding of reality through evolutionary time. Human beings, like all other living things, are immersed in this flesh of the world, within "a spatial and temporal pulp where the individuals are formed by differentiation."11 Within this flesh, species and individual organisms manifest not only formal resemblances but also identical constituting substances, i. e. atoms, molecules, and microorganisms that embody or mirror biological macrocosms. Heidegger would be horrified to think that each human or other animal body was itself a symbiotic community of many tinier bodies. Yet this new understanding would not have troubled Merleau-Ponty, who asked, "Why would not the synergy exist among different organisms, if it is possible within each? Their landscapes interweave, their actions and their passions fit together exactly . . . ."12 When Alphonso Lingis describes the hundreds of bacteria inhabiting our mouths to neutralize plant toxins or those digesting the food in our intestines,13 he is extending this point to recent discoveries about the genetic and cellular make-up of our bodies which came long after Merleau-Ponty's death but which show that the symbiotic intertwinings within each organism do indeed mirror those outside them. But Merleau-Ponty's concepts of écart and dehiscence account for distinctions among living creatures at the same time that there is kinship and continuism. The analogy he uses to explain this situation is that of our two hands both touching and being touched by each other, both parts of the same body but also distinct from each other. As it is with our two hands, so it is also between our conscious awareness of our body and its inaccessible inner thickness, between our movements and what we touch, and between us and other kindred creatures. This is a synergy of "overlapping and fission, identity and difference."14

In the Nature lectures, Merleau-Ponty acknowledged biological continuism by
considering the meaning of new work in evolutionary biology and discussing the silent emergence of humans and their horizontal relationship to other species that Teilhard de Chardin had defined in The Phenomenon of Man . . . ."

continue at:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/49ba/77e030c3eec09b5b44a56de7725f4d1a9049.pdf

"A continuum would instead imply that many kinds of consciousness and perception evolved over the hundreds of millennia of life's emergence. Human sentience would then be understood as one of many kinds of animal awareness, as the work of Jakob von Uexküll asserts. Neither humans nor other animals could then be dismissed
deterministically as mechanisms; instead they would have to be recognized as active participants shaping the many meanings of the biological community. This is the minority position voiced so strongly in the Renaissance by Montaigne in "The Apology for Raymond Sebond" and by Darwin in The Descent of Man in the nineteenth century."

CHAPTER XII. — APOLOGY FOR RAIMOND SEBOND

Essays of Michel de Montaigne

Jakob von Uexküll - Wikipedia

von Uexküll anticipated many computer science ideas, particularly in the field of robotics, roughly 25 years before these things were invented.[6]

Searches on "Uexkull" and "cybernetics" "robotics" etc return many hits ...

for example:

Does a robot have an Umwelt

Abstract

It is argued that the notion of Umwelt is relevant for contemporary discussions within theoretical biology, biosemiotics, the study of Artificial Life, Autonomous Systems Research and philosophy of biology. Focus is put on the question of whether an artificial creature can have a phenomenal world in the sense of the Umwelt notion of Jakob von Uexküll, one of the founding figures of biosemiotics. Rather than vitalism, Uexküll's position can be interpreted as a version of qualitative organicism. A historical sketch of Autonomous Systems Research (ASR) is presented to show its theoretical roots and fruitful opposition to traditional AI style robotics. It is argued that these artificial systems are only partly 'situated' because they do not in the full sense of the word experience an Umwelt. A deeper understanding of truly situated autonomous systems as being a kind of complex self-organizing semiotic agents with emergent qualitative properties must be gained, not only from the broad field of theoretical biology, but also from the perspective of biosemiotics in the Uexküll tradition. The paper is thus an investigation of a new notion of autonomy that includes a qualitative aspect of the organism. This indicates that the Umwelt concept is not reducible to purely functional notions.

From the same paper

"Qualitative organicism is a position which claims, first, a kind of middle road position, that is, on the one hand, there are no mysterious or non-material vital powers in organisms (non-vitalism), but on the other hand, the characteristic properties of living beings cannot be fully accounted for by physics and chemistry because these properties are non-reducible emergent properties (emergentism); second, that some of these emergent properties have an experiential, phenomenal or subjective character which plays a major role in the dynamics of the living system."

"Asking this third question, we must also inquire if that is the same as asking "Can the robot have a mind"? If so, the Umwelt is just another word for the concept of mind, and the theory of Jakob von Uexküll would not contribute to solve our question. But this is clearly not the case. Though one might think, that if one has a very broad concept of mind, e.g., motivated by biosemiotics and the philosophy of Peirce, then the Umwelt of animals and the mind of animals might have the same extension. However, mind as such is not co-extensive with Umwelten, at least for the semiotic notion of mind one finds in Peirce (Santaella Braga 1994). The mind is a broader notion than the Umwelt, so, for instance, there can be a lot of activity in a living organism which is of a mental, or semiotic, character, but which does not figure as a part of the animal's experienced phenomenal world. Clearly, the two concepts mean different things and do neither have the same intension nor extension. I do not know whether Peirce would have ascribed mind-like properties to robots, but it appears to be the case that he would -- both biological organisms and robots with sensors and effectors could in principle embody the same logical or semiotic principles (cf. Burks 1975)."

Does a sentient being know that it is sentient? I think the term is being used quite loose. If something is aware, what is it aware of? or what is a conscious thing conscious of? I assume sentience relates to sensing... sensing the world, or having a sense of the world.. two very different things.. not sure sentience is necessarily feeling the world..
The Emmeche paper looks like its up my street :) Thanks for the link @smcder

Does a sentient being know that it is sentient? I think the term is being used quite loose. If something is aware, what is it aware of? or what is a conscious thing conscious of? I assume sentience relates to sensing... sensing the world, or having a sense of the world.. two very different things.. not sure sentience is necessarily feeling the world..

"I think the term is being used quite loose."

You can look at the way you and the rest of us have used the term on this thread.

Also:

Consciousness and Intentionality (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Discusses Sellers' "sentience" vs "sapience".

And the SEP article on Consciousness 2.1 discusses "sentience".

In the present state of our species' 'knowledge' of what consciousness is and how it is to be adequately described, I think, despite having myself used the term 'sentience', that this term is especially prone to loose definitions and applications. But as Steve has indicated, this is the case with most of the terms we've used in this thread to refer to various levels of what we mean by 'consciousness' in ourselves and, for some of us, also in organisms and animals appearing along the spectrum of life as recognized on our planet. I think we're still, as a species, far from finding or developing language adequate to identifying stages of development of consciousness and mind in our local world. And I think we have to make progress in sorting out our terminology if we are to communicate well with others who seek to come closer to understanding the nature of consciousness, of what funds consciousness, and of how it has evolved and developed.

The Emmeche paper Steve linked is most useful at this point in recovering for all of us key points in the modern history of ideas concerning 'consciousness' and its emergence in natural organisms. These paragraphs also indicate the scientific failures to date to achieve a comprehensive understanding of all that has been involved in and accomplished by the evolution of consciousness from the beginnings of awareness and seeking behavior -- as Maturana, Varela, and Panksepp have identified them -- in primordial organisms and in the subsequent evolution of species up to and including our own. The intellectual failures to think far enough and deeply enough into the complex nature of consciousness as it arises through degrees of protoconsciousness are expressed in these paragraphs from Emmeche:

". . . For some of those who have devoted much intellectual energy to fight reductionist thinking in biology (which is indeed common but also, most often, merely programmatic) this interpretation may sound surprising, but one should distinguish between ill-founded spontaneous talk about organisms as being merely mechanical aggregates of molecules, and the real conceptual structure and scientific practice within domains like evolutionary or molecular biology where reduction to chemistry or physics is never really the issue. In science, metaphysical attachments and scientific research may be connected, but often only loosely so: It is quite possible for adherents of metaphysical vitalism, organicism and mechanicism to work together in the same laboratory progressing in substantiating the same paradigm, abstaining from philosophical conflicts or restricting themselves to an instrumentalist discourse. Scientists often have a very pragmatic stance towards foundations, an attitude which is characteristic also of main stream organicism. It is nevertheless possible to explicate that position. Organicism takes the complexity and physical uniqueness of the organism as a sign of the distinctiveness of biology as a natural science sui generis.[3] This middle road, although here often framed within a naturalist evolutionary perspective, was anticipated by Kant's more critical (non-naturalist) notion of a living organism.[4] According to Kant, we cannot dispense with a heuristic principle of purposefulness when we consider an organism, that is to say, "An organized product of nature is one in which every part is reciprocally purpose [end] and means. In it nothing is vain, without purpose, or to be ascribed to a blind mechanism of nature." (Kant 1790 [1951: 222]). However, within main stream organicism this teleology is interpreted as a more or less 'mechanical' teleonomy being the result of the forces of blind variation and natural selection, plus eventually some additional 'order for free' or physical self-organization. Main stream organicism as a position is thus non-vitalist, ontologically non-reductionist (allowing for methodological reduction) and emergentist. What is studied as emergent properties are common material structures and processes within several levels of living systems (developmental systems, evolution, self-organizing properties etc.), all of which are treated in the usual way as objects with no intrinsic experiential properties. For instance in behavioural studies, the ethologists are not allowed to make use of subjectivist or anthropocentric language describing animal behaviour.

In contrast, qualitative organicism represents a more 'coloured' view on living beings; it emphasizes not only the ontological reality of biological higher level properties or entities (such as systems of self-reproducing organisms being parts of the species' historical lineages) but also the existence of phenomenological or qualitative aspects of at least some higher level properties. When sensing light or colours, an organism is not merely performing a detection of some external signals which then get processed internally (described in terms of neurochemistry or 'information processing' or whatever); something additional is going on (at least if we want the full story), namely the organism's own experience of the light, and this experience is seen as something very real. Even though it has a subjective mode of existence it is an objectively real phenomenon (in recent philosophy of mind, Searle 1992 is one of the few to emhasize the ontological reality of subjective experience; however, he is most of the time only talking about human experience). As a scientific position qualitative organicism is concerned with qualities which are not only of the famous category of 'primary' qualities (roughly corresponding to the scientifically measurable quanta) including shape, magnitude, and number; but also concerned with the 'secondary' qualities of colour, taste, sound, feeling, etc.[5] One should not equate qualitative organicism or mainstream organicism with coherent stances, theories or paradigms; though for both options one can find representatives within recent theoretical biology.[6] Some authors may not be consistent, some may only implicitly express either idea; the important thing is to recognize that in fact two different conceptions of life and biosemiosis are at stake.

It is obvious that the Umwelt notion is of central importance to the development of a coherent theory of the qualitative experiential world of the organism, a task present day biology must face, instead of continuing to ignore a huge phenomenal realm of the living world -- the experiential world of animal appetites, desires, feelings, sensations, etc.[7] For such a task, theoretical inspiration can be found in the fields of semiotics as well as artificial life and autonomous systems research. The experiential Umwelt is rooted in the material and semiotic body of the organism, which again is situated in a specific part of the habitat depending on its (Eltonian) niche. An actual theory of the Umwelt must not posit any vitalist spiritual or occult hidden powers to 'explain' the emergence of the Umwelten in evolution, however, it must acknowledge the richness and reality of the phenomena of organismic sensing, acting and perceiving. The implication of such an adventure could be important not only to biology, but as well to semiotics (to ground the sign notion in nature), to philosophy of mind (to overcome dualism and solve the problems of non-reductive supervenience physicalism), and to general understanding of the relation between the human and other species. Could we create an artificial 'organism' with an Umwelt more alien to us than that of a chimp or a fruit fly? . . . ."

Last edited:
Coming back to the ramifying questions posed by @Pharoah today:

Does a sentient being know that it is sentient? I think the term is being used quite loosely. If something is aware, what is it aware of? or what is a conscious thing conscious of? I assume sentience relates to sensing... sensing the world, or having a sense of the world.. two very different things.. not sure sentience is necessarily feeling the world..

These are key questions that we need to pursue, and as I've long said they have been raised and contemplated most fully in phenomenological philosophy's methods and insights (esp those of MP). Most significant is phenomenology's recognition of the difference/distinction between prereflective consciousness (or perhaps better, prereflective awareness) and reflective consciousness. The difference distinguished between these evolving levels of consciousness in natural organisms and species does not, should not, lead us to suppose that they are not organismically continuous. Prereflective consciousness/awareness continues to function beneath or alongside reflective consciousness in the evolution of what we can call 'mind' in our species (and likely also in other 'higher' animals). Phenomenologists have also recognized the tacit sense of self-awareness, self-reference, that emerges even in the prereflectively lived experience of animals.

From Pharoah's post quoted above:

"sensing the world, or having a sense of the world.. two very different things"

As I see it, or sense it, these are not very different things, but rather differentiable stages on life's way. Somehow we need to investigate the development from 'sensing the presence of a world encompassing the aware animal as it engages in 'seeking behavior' and the accruing tacit knowledge/understanding that the sensed world/Umwelt includes the degree of freedom the animal possesses in acting in this world. Gibson's "affordances" are relevant: the natural environment/niche facilitates the means by which the aware animal exercises its instincts toward movement into the world in search of satisfactions of felt needs, and in its own movements and discoveries of the depth and thickness of the environing world and the things and other animals encountered in it, the animal learns how to navigate in this world, "this outer bush" in Stevens's phrase. (must find and quote that poem) The sense of its own being somehow arises in the animal's sense of the being of that which surrounds it and draws it into itself. This is what Heidegger refers to as consciousness's 'standing in' the world, preparatory to its discovery that it also 'stands out' [ekstase] from the world. As Steve wrote, "How, how, how . . ." does this happen? Somehow the prereflective sense of being-in-the-world opens the way to an awareness of one's own be-ing in it before reflective consciousness emerges and makes it possible for us, and other later evolved beings, to begin to think about what being is.

Last edited:
The Stevens poem that crossed my mind in writing the above post:

The Dove in Spring

Brooder, brooder, deep beneath its walls--
A small howling of the dove
Makes something of the little there,

The little and the dark, and that
In which it is and that in which
It is established. There the dove

Makes this small howling, like a thought
That howls in the mind or like a man
Who keeps seeking out his identity

In that which is and is established...It howls
Of the great sizes of an outer bush
And the great misery of the doubt of it,

Of stripes of silver that are strips
Like slits across a space, a place
And state of being large and light.

There is this bubbling before the sun,
This howling at one's ear, too far
For daylight and too near for sleep.

Also relevant, by Stevens:

Song of Fixed Accord

Rou-cou spoke the dove,
Like the sooth lord of sorrow,
Of sooth love and sorrow,
And a hail-bow, hail-bow,
To this morrow.

She lay upon the roof,
A little wet of wing and woe,
And she rou-ed there,
Softly she piped among the suns
And their ordinary glare,

The sun of five, the sun of six,
Their ordinariness,
And the ordinariness of seven,
Which she accepted,
Like a fixed heaven,

Not subject to change . . .
Day's invisible beginner,
The lord of love and sooth sorrow,
Lay on the roof,
And made much within her.

A Real Science of Mind
By Tyler Burge December 19, 2010 5:18 pm December 19, 2010 5:18 pm
thestone45.gif

The Stone is a forum for contemporary philosophers and other thinkers on issues both timely and timeless.

In recent years popular science writing has bombarded us with titillating reports of discoveries of the brain’s psychological prowess. Such reports invade even introductory patter in biology and psychology. We are told that the brain — or some area of it sees, decides, reasons, knows, emotes, is altruistic/egotistical, or wants to make love. For example, a recent article reports a researcher’s “looking at love, quite literally, with the aid of an MRI machine.” One wonders whether lovemaking is to occur between two brains, or between a brain and a human being.

There are three things wrong with this talk.

First, it provides little insight into psychological phenomena. Often the discoveries amount to finding stronger activation in some area of the brain when a psychological phenomenon occurs. As if it is news that the brain is not dormant during psychological activity! The reported neuroscience is often descriptive rather than explanatory. Experiments have shown that neurobabble produces the illusion of understanding. But little of it is sufficiently detailed to aid, much less provide, psychological explanation.

Second, brains-in-love talk conflates levels of explanation. Neurobabble piques interest in science, but obscures how science works. Individuals see, know, and want to make love. Brains don’t. Those things are psychological — not, in any evident way, neural. Brain activity is necessary for psychological phenomena, but its relation to them is complex.

Imagine that reports of the mid-20th-century breakthroughs in biology had focused entirely on quantum mechanical interactions among elementary particles. Imagine that the reports neglected to discuss the structure or functions of DNA. Inheritance would not have been understood. The level of explanation would have been wrong. Quantum mechanics lacks a notion of function, and its relation to biology is too complex to replace biological understanding. To understand biology, one must think in biological terms.

Discussing psychology in neural terms makes a similar mistake. Explanations of neural phenomena are not themselves explanations of psychological phenomena. Some expect the neural level to replace the psychological level. This expectation is as naive as expecting a single cure for cancer. Science is almost never so simple. See John Cleese’s apt spoof of such reductionism.

The third thing wrong with neurobabble is that it has pernicious feedback effects on science itself. Too much immature science has received massive funding, on the assumption that it illuminates psychology. The idea that the neural can replace the psychological is the same idea that led to thinking that all psychological ills can be cured with drugs.

Correlations between localized neural activity and specific psychological phenomena are important facts. But they merely set the stage for explanation. Being purely descriptive, they explain nothing. Some correlations do aid psychological explanation. For example, identifying neural events underlying vision constrains explanations of timing in psychological processes and has helped predict psychological effects. We will understand both the correlations and the psychology, however, only through psychological explanation.

Neurobabble’s popularity stems partly from the view that psychology’s explanations are immature compared to neuroscience. Some psychology is indeed still far from rigorous. But neurobabble misses an important fact.

A powerful, distinctively psychological science matured over the last four decades. Perceptual psychology, pre-eminently vision science, should be grabbing headlines. This science is more advanced than many biological sciences, including much neuroscience. It is the first science to explain psychological processes with mathematical rigor in distinctively psychological terms. (Generative linguistics — another relatively mature psychological science — explains psychological structures better than psychological processes.)

What are distinctively psychological terms? Psychology is distinctive in being a science of representation. The term “representation” has a generic use and a more specific use that is distinctively psychological. I start with the generic use, and will return to the distinctively psychological use. States of an organism generically represent features of the environment if they function to correlate with them. A plant or bacterium generically represents the direction of light. States involved in growth or movement functionally correlate with light’s direction.

Task-focused explanations in biology and psychology often use “represent” generically, and proceed as follows. They identify a natural task for an organism. They then measure environmental properties relevant to the task, and constraints imposed by the organism’s bio-physical make-up. Next, they determine mathematically optimal performance of the task, given the environmental properties and the organism’s constraints. Finally, they develop hypotheses and test the organism’s fulfillment of the task against optimal performance.

This approach identifies systematic correlations between organisms’ states and environmental properties. Such correlations constitute generic representation. However, task-focused explanations that use “representation” generically are not distinctively psychological. For they apply to states of plants, bacteria, and water pumps, as well as to perception and thought.

Explanation in perceptual psychology is a sub-type of task-focused explanation. What makes it distinctively psychological is that it uses notions like representational accuracy, a specific type of correlation.

The difference between functional correlation and representational accuracy is signaled by the fact that scientific explanations of light-sensitivity in plants or bacteria invoke functional correlation, but not states capable of accuracy. Talk of accuracy would be a rhetorical afterthought. States capable of accuracy are what vision science is fundamentally about.

Why are explanations in terms of representational accuracy needed? They explain perceptual constancies. Perceptual constancies are capacities to perceive a given environmental property under many types of stimulation. You and a bird can see a stone as the same size from 6 inches or 60 yards away, even though the size of the stone’s effect on the retina differs. You and a bee can see a surface as yellow bathed in white or red light, even though the distribution of wavelengths hitting the eye differ.

Plants and bacteria (and water-pumps) lack perceptual constancies. Responses to light by plants and bacteria are explained by reference to states determined by properties of the light stimulus — frequency, intensity, polarization — and by how and where light stimulates their surfaces.

Visual perception is getting the environment right — seeing it, representing it accurately. Standard explanations of neural patterns cannot explain vision because such explanations do not relate vision, or even neural patterns, to the environment. Task-focused explanations in terms of functional correlation do relate organisms’ states to the environment. But they remain too generic to explain visual perception.

Perceptual psychology explains how perceptual states that represent environmental properties are formed. It identifies psychological patterns that are learned, or coded into the perceptual system through eons of interaction with the environment. And it explains how stimulations cause individuals’ perceptual states via those patterns. Perceptions and illusions of depth, movement, size, shape, color, sound localization, and so on, are explained with mathematical rigor.

Perceptual psychology uses two powerful types of explanation — one, geometrical and traditional; the other, statistical and cutting-edge.

Here is a geometrical explanation of distance perception. Two angles and the length of one side determine a triangle. A point in the environment forms a triangle with the two eyes. The distance between the eyes in many animals is constant. Suppose that distance to be innately coded in the visual system. Suppose that the system has information about the angles at which the two eyes are pointing, relative to the line between the eyes. Then the distance to the point in the environment is computable. Descartes postulated this explanation in 1637. There is now rich empirical evidence to indicate that this procedure, called “convergence,” figures in perception of distance. Convergence is one of over 15 ways human vision is known to represent distance or depth.

Here is a statistical explanation of contour grouping. Contour grouping is representing which contours (including boundary contours) “go together,” for example, as belonging to the same object. Contour grouping is a step toward perception of object shape. Grouping boundary contours that belong to the same object is complicated by this fact: Objects commonly occlude other objects, obscuring boundary contours of partially occluded objects. Grouping boundaries on opposite sides of an occluder is a step towards perceiving object shape.

To determine how boundary contours should ideally be grouped, numerous digital photographs of natural scenes are collected. Hundreds of thousands of contours are extracted from the photographic images. Each pair is classified as to whether or not it corresponds to boundaries of the same object. The distances and relative orientations between paired image-contours are recorded. Given enough samples, the probability that two photographic image-contours correspond to contours on the same object can be calculated. Probabilities vary depending on distance — and orientation relations among the image-contours. So whether two image-contours correspond to boundaries of the same object depends statistically on properties of image-contours.

Human visual systems are known to record contour information. In experiments, humans are shown only image-contours in photographs, not full photographs. Their performance in judging which contours belong to the same object, given only the image-contours, closely matches the objective probabilities established from the photographs. Such tests support hypotheses about how perceptions of object shape are formed from cues regarding contour groupings.

Representation, in the specific sense, and consciousness are the two primary properties that are distinctive of psychological phenomena. Consciousness is the what-it-is-like of experience. Representation is the being-about-something in perception and thought. Consciousness is introspectively more salient. Representation is scientifically better understood.

Where does mind begin? One beginning is the emergence of representational accuracy — in arthropods. (We do not know where consciousness begins.) Rigorous science of mind begins with perception, the first distinctively psychological representation. Maturation of a science of mind is one of the most important intellectual developments in the last half century. Its momentousness should not be obscured by neurobabble that baits with psychology, but switches to brain science. Brain and psychological sciences are working toward one another. Understanding their relation depends on understanding psychology. We have a rigorous perceptual psychology. It may provide a model for further psychological explanation that will do more than display an MRI and say, “behold, love.”

Additional Reading:

Charless C. Fowlkes, David R. Martin, and Jitendra Malik, “Local Figure-Ground Cues are Valid for Natural Images,” Journal of Vision 7 (2007), 1-9.

W.S. Geisler, “Visual Perception and the Statistical Properties of Natural Scenes,” Annual Review of Psychology 59 (2008), 10.1-10.26.

David Knill, “Discriminating Planar Surface Slant from Texture: Human and Ideal Observers Compared,” Vision Research, 38 (1998), 1683-1711.

Stephen E. Palmer, Vision Science: Photons to Phenomenology (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2002).

D. Vishwanath, A.R. Girshick, and M.S. Banks, “Why Pictures Look Right When Viewed from the Wrong Place,” Nature Neuroscience (2005), 1401-1410.

D.S. Weisberg, F.C. Keil, J. Goodstein, E. Rawson, and J.R. Gray, “The Seductive Allure of Neuroscience Explanations,” Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 20 (2008), 470-477.

20stone1-thumbStandard.jpg

Tyler Burge is Distinguished Professor of Philosophy at U.C.L.A. He is the author of many papers on philosophy of mind and three books with Oxford University Press: “Truth, Thought, Reason: Essays on Frege,” “Foundations of Mind,” and most recently, “Origins of Objectivity, which discusses the origins of mind in perception and the success of perceptual psychology as a science.

A Real Science of Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back