• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
the minimal Strawson

The minimal subject 2011

Abstract Consider a subject of experience as it is present and alive in the living moment of experience. Consider its experience—where by the word ‘experience’ I mean theexperiential-qualitative character of experience, experiential ‘what-it’s-likeness’, and absolutely nothing else. Strip away in thought everything other than the being of this experience.When you do this, the subject remains. You can’t get rid of the subject of experience, in taking a portion of experience or experiential what-it’s-likeness and stripping away everything other than the existence of that experience. Concretely occurring experience can’t possibly exist without a subject of experience existing. If you strip away the subject, you haven’t got experience any more. You can’t get things down to concretely occurring experiential content existing at a given time without an experiencer existing at that time. This is the Experience/Experiencer Thesis.

1] experience is impossible without an experiencer

Last edited:
Again I have to question the value of Strawson's thesis for consciousness studies. I think he confuses waking consciousness [which he limits to three-second maximums in endurance] with the complex character of consciousness as involving preconscious, prereflective, subconscious, and unconscious levels of experience involved in, influencing, and informing what we take to be our 'normal' waking states of consciousness. I think it's absurd to suppose that the latter 'waking' states exist only momentarily.

If you mean a 'strong physicalist argument' for a continuous [if not continual] sense of an enduring 'self' possessing a personal sense of "being-in"/being-situated-in a temporally unfolding local world, no, you won't find one. Yet that is indeed the way in which most humans experience their own existence in an existential world -- a world passing historically out of previously construed worlds into an unknown future. Lived worlds are as radically temporal as we are in our temporally conditioned lives. Nevertheless, our species has long thought beyond the immediate situations in which we, like our forebears, exist, and pursued through our reflections on what we have experienced the possible nature and extent of the holistic World in which our world has taken place. Ontological thinking extends far back in our species history. That in itself points to the nature of human consciousness as a complex consciousness based in preconscious, subconscious, and even collectively unconscious experience carried forward in what we experience and what we can think about the nature of Being and the nature of our own being.

I think we're arguing (but mostly unemotionally, as befits our subject) about how meaning arises for us in a world whose origins and nature we only partially comprehend.

I posted a Strawson article on the minimal self - I'm working through it now

There’s no tension between the claim that minimal subjects exist and the best scientific psychology and neurology, or the current stress in philosophy of mind on the profoundly environmentally embedded, embodied, ‘enactive’, ‘ecological’, or (for short) EEE aspects of our experiential predicament as organic and social beings situated in a physical world. To think that there is, is to have misunderstood the present project. - Strawson minimal subject

If Panpsychism is an answer to the hard problem (how to get mind from matter - specifically "experience") ... then experience needs to be fundamental.

For now, I think of panpsychism in the broad sense: that the mental is equally fundamental to the physical
and for experience, for now I'll use Strawson's (minimal) definition: "I mean the experiential-qualitative character of experience, experiential ‘what-it’s-likeness’, and absolutely nothing else.

If there is no experience without an experiencer, then a subject seems to be fundamental too.

LRB · Jerry Fodor · Headaches have themselves: Panpsychism

"So, then, if everything is made of the same sort of stuff as tables and chairs (as per monism), and if at least some of the things made of that sort of stuff are conscious (there is no doubt that we are), and if there is no way of assembling stuff that isn’t conscious that produces stuff that is (there’s no emergence), it follows that the stuff that tables, chairs and the bodies of animals (and, indeed, everything else) is made of must itself be conscious. Strawson, having wrestled his angel to a draw, stands revealed as a panpsychist: basic things (protons, for example) are loci of conscious experience. You don’t find that plausible? Well, I warned you.

Nor, having swallowed this really enormous camel, does Strawson propose to strain at the gnats. Consider, for example: he thinks (quite rightly) that there are no experiences without subjects of experience; if there’s a pain, it must be somebody or something’s pain; somebody or something must be in it. What, then, could it be that has the experiences that panpsychists attribute to ultimate things? Nothing purely material, surely, since that would just raise the hard problem all over again. So maybe something immaterial? But monism is in force; since the constituents of tables and chairs are made of matter, so too is everything else. So, Strawson is strongly inclined to conclude, the subjects of the experiences that basic things have must be the experiences themselves. Part of the surcharge that we pay for panpsychism (not, after all, itself an immediately plausible ontology) is that we must give up on the commonsense distinction between the experience and the experiencer. At the basic level, headaches have themselves."

According to Strawson—and to which Nagel had no retort—the enduring subject is the physical body. The phenomenal subject is itself a phenomenal experience.

What I argue is that there can be physical bodies (whirlpools in the ocean) that are so primitive that a phenomenal sense of self is absent.

There is no strong argument, it seems, for an enduring phenomenal self, which seems to be your argument, no?

Because if not, what are we arguing about?

We need to get the terms straight - however you want to use them is fine, but to say "subjectless experience" to me is not the same as not having a sense of self. I'm not sure say ... oh ... a bat has a sense of self ... but it is a subject.

The minimal subject, then, remains when one has stripped away everything other than the being of experience. A minimal subject needn’t be self-conscious—(or of interest to ethics) it may be very primitive, experientially speaking. It may last for only a very short time. It may be of no interest to ethics as ordinarily understood. Its place is in the metaphysics of mind, and in particular the metaphysics of consciousness

That's what Strawson says anyway ... so do we still want to talk about "subjectless" experience?

Strawson

"There is more to say. Here I’ll conclude with the claim that minimal subjects certainly exist, and are neural synergies, and qualify as TOSs if any phenomena do. Timothy Sprigge writes that ‘each of us, as we are at any one moment, is most essentially a momentary centre of experience or state of consciousness with the duration of the specious present’ (2006: 474), and I’m sympathetic to this view, suitably adapted to the living moment of experience. We shouldn’t, though, deny that there’s a sense in which we’re human beings, things that last considerably longer than the living moment of experience, and have many properties that can’t be ascribed to minimal subjects."

Again I have to question the value of Strawson's thesis for consciousness studies. I think he confuses waking consciousness [which he limits to three-second maximums in endurance] with the complex character of consciousness as involving preconscious, prereflective, subconscious, and unconscious levels of experience involved in, influencing, and informing what we take to be our 'normal' waking states of consciousness. I think it's absurd to suppose that the latter 'waking' states exist only momentarily.

If you mean a 'strong physicalist argument' for a continuous [if not continual] sense of an enduring 'self' possessing a personal sense of "being-in"/being-situated-in a temporally unfolding local world, no, you won't find one. Yet that is indeed the way in which most humans experience their own existence in an existential world -- a world passing historically out of previously construed worlds into an unknown future. Lived worlds are as radically temporal as we are in our temporally conditioned lives. Nevertheless, our species has long thought beyond the immediate situations in which we, like our forebears, exist, and pursued through our reflections on what we have experienced the possible nature and extent of the holistic World in which our world has taken place. Ontological thinking extends far back in our species history. That in itself points to the nature of human consciousness as a complex consciousness based in preconscious, subconscious, and even collectively unconscious experience carried forward in what we experience and what we can think about the nature of Being and the nature of our own being.

I think we're arguing (but mostly unemotionally, as befits our subject) about how meaning arises for us in a world whose origins and nature we only partially comprehend.

I'll try to mark my comments with smcder and then use quotes appropriately to keep straight what I am saying:

smcder I like that Strawson is unabashedly metaphysical and doesn't shrink from the consequences of his views ... and I like the thought that we don't know anything about matter that means we can't get consciousness from it. I'm trying to look at @Soupie's use of Strawson to support his view and more broadly to think about what you have to have as fundamental for Panpsychism to be a solution for the hard problem.

I also like Fodor's discussion of what we might have to give up for a theory of consciousness - in his review of Strawson's book:

Fodor In a way, I’m quite sympathetic to all that. I think it’s strictly true that we can’t, as things stand now, so much as imagine the solution of the hard problem. The revisions of our concepts and theories that imagining a solution will eventually require are likely to be very deep and very unsettling. (That’s assuming what’s by no means obvious: that we are smart enough to solve it at all.) Philosophers used to think (some still do) that a bit of analytical tidying up would make the hard problem go away. But they were wrong to think that. There is hardly anything that we may not have to cut loose from before the hard problem is through with us.

smcder But Fodor also seems to me to point beyond Panpsychism and beyond Mysterianism when he says:

Still, all else being equal, whoever gives up least is the winner; so it matters whether Strawson has abandoned more than he needs to. I’m not convinced that we will have to throw overboard as much as he thinks we will. In particular, we might try denying the claim, cited above, that if Y emerges from X, then there must be something about X in virtue of which Y emerges from it. Why not just say: some things are true about the world because that’s the kind of world it is; there’s nothing more to make of it. That sounds defeatist perhaps; but it really isn’t since, quite plausibly, it’s the sort of thing that we will have to say sooner or later whether or not saying it would help with the hard problem.

smcder the whole article needs to be read for context of course, but Fodor seems to really struggle with what the hard problem might mean - and seems to recognize that may mean giving up a lot of presuppositions.

strawson3.jpg

psst ... did I say three seconds ... or did I say four ... ?

from Galen Strawson's autobiography: Thin Subjects: Living My Life Three Seconds At a Time

Attachments

• strawson.jpg
    strawson.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1
smcder I also like Fodor's discussion of what we might have to give up for a theory of consciousness - in his review of Strawson's book:

Fodor: In a way, I’m quite sympathetic to all that. I think it’s strictly true that we can’t, as things stand now, so much as imagine the solution of the hard problem. The revisions of our concepts and theories that imagining a solution will eventually require are likely to be very deep and very unsettling. (That’s assuming what’s by no means obvious: that we are smart enough to solve it at all.) Philosophers used to think (some still do) that a bit of analytical tidying up would make the hard problem go away. But they were wrong to think that. There is hardly anything that we may not have to cut loose from before the hard problem is through with us.But Fodor also seems to me to point beyond Panpsychism and beyond Mysterianism when he says:

Still, all else being equal, whoever gives up least is the winner; so it matters whether Strawson has abandoned more than he needs to. I’m not convinced that we will have to throw overboard as much as he thinks we will. In particular, we might try denying the claim, cited above, that if Y emerges from X, then there must be something about X in virtue of which Y emerges from it. Why not just say: some things are true about the world because that’s the kind of world it is; there’s nothing more to make of it. That sounds defeatist perhaps; but it really isn’t since, quite plausibly, it’s the sort of thing that we will have to say sooner or later whether or not saying it would help with the hard problem.

smcder the whole article needs to be read for context of course, but Fodor seems to really struggle with what the hard problem might mean - and seems to recognize that may mean giving up a lot of presuppositions.

Primarily I think that 'giving up the hard problem' means that we have to ignore the nature of our experience in/of the world, and Fodor, unlike Strawson, apparently understands that.

In a post preceding this one you are evidently quoting Strawson in this extract:

"There’s no tension between the claim that minimal subjects exist and the best scientific psychology and neurology, or the current stress in philosophy of mind on the profoundly environmentally embedded, embodied, ‘enactive’, ‘ecological’, or (for short) EEE aspects of our experiential predicament as organic and social beings situated in a physical world. To think that there is, is to have misunderstood the present project. - Strawson minimal subject."

Steve, have you been able to understand Strawson's 'present project' in this piece and evaluate its adequacy and coherence, and if so would you help me out with a summary? I'm reluctant to slog through another Strawson paper watching him think out loud in fragments, juggling an array of presuppositional claims and partial arguments without integrating them in a well-supported conclusion.

Chaos in Motion and Not in Motion

Oh, that this lashing wind was something more
Than the spirit of Ludwig Richter . . .

The rain is pounding down. It is July.
There is lightning and the thickest thunder.

It is a spectacle. Scene 10 becomes 11,
In Series X, Act IV, et cetera.

People fall out of windows. Trees tumble down,
Summer is changed to winter, the young grow old,

The air is full of children, statues, roofs
And snow. The theatre is spinning round,

Colliding with deaf-mute churches and optical trains.
The most massive sopranos are singing songs of scales.

And Ludwig Richter, turbulent Schlemihl,
Has lost the whole in which he was contained,

Knows desire without an object of desire,
All mind and violence and nothing felt.

He knows he has nothing more to think about,
Like the wind that lashes everything at once.

Wallace Stevens

from "Things of August"

"The world images for the beholder.
He is born the blank mechanic of the mountains,

The blank frere of fields, their matin laborer.
He is the possessed of sense not the possessor.

He does not change the sea from crumpled tinfoil
To chromatic crawler. But it is changed.

He does not raise the rousing of fresh light
On the still, black-slatted eastward shutters.

The woman is chosen but not by him,
Among the endlessly emerging accords.

The world? The inhuman as human? That which
thinks not,
Feels not, resembling thought, resembling feeling?

It habituates him to the invisible,
By its faculty of the exceptional,

The faculty of ellipses and deviations,
In which he exists but never as himself."

Wallace Stevens

{"never as himself," by which he means 'never solely as himself'}

The following is an extracted section of The Philosopher's Gaze: Modernity in the Shadows of Enlightenment by David Michael Levin, available as an E-book at The Philosopher's Gaze

"An Identity Transcending the Subject

Arguing in 1945, in his second major work, the Phenomenology of Perception , against the philosophical program he calls "objectivism," Merleau-Ponty remarks that the "function" of such a program is "to reduce all phenomena which bear witness to the union of subject and world, putting in their place the clear idea of the object as in itself and of the subject [as self-contained and self-originating]" (PPE 320, PPF 370). Thus, he says, it is the peculiar mode of reflection that philosophers have adopted, or perhaps the way that philosophers have understood the process of reflection, which objectifies lived experience to this effect, "whereas, when I perceive, I belong . . . to the world as a whole" (PPE 329, PPF 380).

Merleau-Ponty contends that what philosophers have termed "subject" and "object" are in reality "two abstract 'moments' of a unique structure which is presence" (PPE 430, PPF 492). This accordingly assigns phenomenology its task: it must "rediscover," as "anterior" to the structure of subject and object, that "primordial layer" out of which that structure first emerged (PPE 219, PPF 254). This means that phenomenology must excavate hermeneutically "beneath the relation of the knowing subject to the known object" (CRO 98, CROF 3); that it "must return to the cogito in search of a more fundamental Logos than that of objective thought" (PPE 365, PPF 419); and that it must learn, for example, as he states in "Eye and Mind," how to enter into "the immemorial depths of vision."[7]

Correlatively, his fidelity to the phenomena compelled him to argue with equal force against the programs of idealism and intellectualism: "I am borne into personal existence," he asserts, "by a time which I do not constitute" (PPE 347, PPF 399). And, in a passage that carries singular significance when read in the light of the "tracework" that distinguishes the Levinasian conception of the phenomenological task,[8] Merleau-Ponty observes:

"When I turn toward perception, I find at work in my organs of perception a thought older than myself, of which those organs are merely a trace." (PPE 351–52, PPF 404)

"My personal existence,"
he says, "must be the resumption of a prepersonal tradition. There is, therefore, another subject beneath me, for whom a world exists before I am here, and who marks out my place in it. This captive or natural spirit is my body, not that momentary body which is the instrument of my personal choices and which fastens upon this or that world, but the system of anonymous "functions" which draw every particular focus into a general project." (PPE 254, PPF 294)

In other words, Merleau-Ponty brings to light, as prior to our personal, egological experience, an anonymous and prepersonal existence, an anonymous and prepersonal subject. This dynamic, temporal schema may also be thought in structural terms. Thus Merleau-Ponty will also speak of recovering a dimension "beneath" this experience, because he holds that, in the course of the ego-logical subject's formation, this prepersonal experience is not entirely destroyed, lost, or forgotten, but merely, as it were, deeply sublimated or suppressed: surpassed, but still preserved, and therefore, at least in principle, always to some extent potentially recoverable (PPE 347, PPF 399). The shocking significance of this recovery is, I think, made clear with great force when the philosopher tells us that, "if I wanted to render the perceptual experience with more faithful precision, I ought to say that one perceives in me, not that I perceive" (PPE 215, PPF 249). In this formulation, we see Merleau-Ponty radically decentering, radically destabilizing the sovereign subject that has dominated the philosophical discourse of modernity.

Let us return, now, to the point that "when I perceive, I belong . . . to the world as a whole." The recovery of our prepersonal existence is also, for Merleau-Ponty, the recovery of "a communication with the world more ancient that thought" (PPE 254, PPF 294). Thus he also wants to say that, "in so far as I have sensory functions, a visual, auditory and tactile field, I am already in communication with others" (PPE 353, PPF 406). This is a level of "communication" that he describes by reference to a corporeal intentionality that does not recognize the ego-logical boundaries constitutive of our "normal" experience:

"My body . . . discovers in that other body a miraculous prolongation of my own intentions, a familiar way of dealing with the world. Hence-forth, as the parts of my body together comprise a system, so my body and the other person's are one whole, two sides of one and the same phenomenon, and the anonymous existence of which my body is the ever-renewed trace henceforth inhabits both bodies simultaneously.
(PPE 354, PPF 406)

As we shall see, this is a description that anticipates by many years Merleau-Ponty's introduction, in his last manuscripts, of the metaphorical concepts of "intertwining" and "chiasm." In another formulation of the prepersonal communicativeness at work in this intentionality, Merleau-Ponty says:

"The communication or comprehension of gestures comes about through the reciprocity of my intentions and the gestures of others, of my gestures and the intentions discernible in the conduct of other people. It is as if the other person's intention inhabited my body and mine his." (PPE 185, PPF 215. Also see PPE 320, PPF 370.)

This passage is significant, in part, because it introduces the concept of "reciprocity," again anticipating his last manuscripts. But it is also significant, of course, in that it intimates the existence of a certain moral disposition already orienting our bodily comportment—even if this moral "compass" is very rudimentary, preliminary, and pro-visional.

In other intriguing passages of note, Merleau-Ponty elaborates what we might call the "emotional essence" of this prepersonal dimension of communication, bringing to the fore, with particular attention to vision and touch, the intertwining of the different senses and their respective fields, and arguing that, in consequence, we can touch things from which we are distant with the tactile sensibility of our eyes and therefore that, correspondingly, we can be touched, affected, by what we behold from a certain distance (PPE 223, 229; PPF 258, 265. Also see VIE 134, VIF 177). Even in these descriptions, as we can see, the concept of "reversibility," which assumes much greater importance in his last writings, is clearly prefigured.

II

the perception of other people and the intersubjective world are problematical only for adults. The child lives in a world which he unhesitatingly believes accessible all around him. He has no awareness of himself or of others as private subjectivities. (PPE 355, PPF 407)

In "The Child's Relations with Others," a text drawn from material discussed in 1960 in a series of courses he gave at the Collège de France, and in other texts he wrote during the last decade of his life, Merleau-Ponty elaborated this thought, showing its confirmation by empirical research into the psychology of child development. Although his principal concern seems to have been the phenomenological refutation of the presuppositions behind the argument for solipsism, the experiences to which he calls our attention and the vocabulary he uses to articulate them incontrovertibly imply that what is ultimately at stake is moral experience, and therefore that this argument against solipsism constitutes a phenomenology of moral experience, tracing its origin and development in the life of the child. It is greatly to be lamented, I think, that the scholars continuing his work have not given sufficient recognition to the significance of Merleau-Ponty's work for a phenomenology of moral experience.

In "The Concept of Nature" lecture course he gave at the Collége de France, Merleau-Ponty pointed to "an ideal community of embodied subjects, of intercorporeality."[9] But he left this intriguing thought quite undeveloped. "The Child's Relations with Others," however, begins to flesh out this extremely bold thought, pointing, for example, to the unmistakable evidence for a certain "pre-communication" and "postural impregnation" taking place between the infant and others (CRO 119, CROF 33). "I live," he says, "in the facial expressions of the other, as I feel him living in mine" (CRO 146, CROF 69). This, he thinks, argues for the view that such experience constitutes an "initial sympathy," and consequently even a certain "initial community" (CRO 118–20, CROF 31–34). Thus, in "The Child's Relations with Others," the anonymous, prepersonal dimension of experi-

― 225 ―
ence excavated many years earlier in the Phenomenology of Perception is finally rendered in terms that explicitly bring out its significance for moral life and moral vision. Even here, however, he leaves the significance of this evidence for a phenomenology of moral experience surprisingly undeveloped. Of particular importance for our concerns is the fact that he does not explore the implications of this material for a radical critique of the egoism and individualism that prevail in modern culture and for the articulation, in the evocative language of his phenomenology, of a different moral vision, a different vision of morality.

The task which the resumption of this project would seem to suggest—or which certainly, in any case, one might profitably undertake—calls for reflecting on the transformative potential inherent in the phenomenological recovery (Merleau-Ponty's crucial words are "récupération" and "reprise") of this marvelous experience of prepersonal intercorporeality in the early life of the infant. What if the adult, instead of maintaining a gaze the character of which is solely determined by an ego-logical subjectivity—and consequently by an objectifying, instrumental rationality and a correspondingly ego-centered ethics—should undertake to ground the character of his or her gaze, his or her moral vision of the world, in the bodily felt sense that would emerge from the effort to recover something of the infant's experience, long suppressed, split off, forgotten, of intercorporeality, an ontologically significant prepersonal interconnectedness among all beings? What if the adult, instead of perpetuating a vision, a way of looking and seeing that has been complicitous for too long in an ontology and politics of violence, were to attempt to make contact with this prepersonal intercorporeality, with what, in "The Intertwining—The Chiasm" (VIE 137, VIF 181), Merleau-Ponty will call a "universal flesh," so that the character of the gaze would be normatively determined, would be more radically attuned, by the openness to alterity constitutive of the perceptual field as a whole? If the gaze that predominates in our time is a gaze that reflects the fragmentations, the diremptions, the reifications distinctive of modernity, is it not possible that a gaze in deeply felt contact with the affective-conative wholeness and openness of this field could emerge from this experience with a tact and intactness that would significantly alter its character? It would be a question of a vision, a way of looking and seeing, that is wholehearted, fully embodied, whole—not borne of the metaphysical dualisms that ushered in the age of modernity, most especially, those forms of splitting that set up irreconcilable oppositions between reason and feeling, mind and body, reason and imagination, meaningful thought and thoughtless perception, reality and appearance, ego and other.

― 226 ―
In "Eye and Mind," Merleau-Ponty gives voice to a vision in touch with its sense of the dimensionality of the visual field:

We must take literally what vision teaches us: namely, that through it we come into contact with the sun and the stars, that we are everywhere all at once. (EM 187)

Merleau-Ponty's "Working Notes," written during the last years of his life and published posthumously in The Visible and the Invisible , elaborate the radical significance of this dimensionality, bringing the question of vision back to my experience of the other person:

There is . . . no problem of the alter ego , because it is not I who sees, not he who sees; because an anonymous visibility inhabits both of us, a vision in general, in virtue of that primordial property that belongs to flesh, of being here and now and of radiating everywhere and forever. (VIE 142, VIF 187–88)

This passage merits special attention, because the reference to an "anonymous visibility" resumes the phenomenological vocabulary of the much earlier work, the Phenomenology of Perception , while the reference to the "flesh," in which our vision is rooted, carries this work forward, formulating a more explicit, more audacious challenge to the subject-object structure within which the metaphysics of the modern age has persisted in thinking our moral relations with others—and indeed with everything in our world.

The boldness of some of the texts published posthumously in The Visible and The Invisible is really quite breathtaking. And yet, it is a boldness that continues the earlier work, excavating and recovering a deeper dimension of our experience with vision, rather than introducing a break in his project. In the reference, for example, to "a visibility older than my operations or my acts" (VIE 123, VIF 165), one may clearly hear echoes of passages in the Phenomenology of Perception . But in the later texts, our embodiment is figured in radically new terms, for he wanted, instead, to articulate a dimension that metaphysical discourse cannot possibly comprehend and appropriate. Thus, in The Visible and the Invisible , he brings to light a dimension not only (temporally) "prior to" and (structurally) "beneath" the personal or ego-logical structuring of experience, but even (temporally) "prior to" and (structurally) "beneath" the "initial sympathy" and "initial community" of the prepersonal. This deeper dimension he calls "flesh," drawing on mythopoetic language from the ancient beginning of philosophical thought: it is in terms of flesh, he says, that we must think

― 227 ―
"the formative medium of the object and the subject" (VIE 147, VIF 193). This way of thinking shows us that:

my body is made of the same flesh as the world . . . and moreover, . . . this flesh of my body is shared by the world. (VIE 248, VIF 302)

But, he warns,

we must not think the flesh starting from substances, from [the metaphysical splitting that opposes] body and spirit . . . but as an element, as the concrete emblem of a general manner of being. (VIE 147, VIF 193)

"The flesh," he says,

is not matter, is not mind, is not substance. To designate it, we should need the old term "element," in the sense it was used to speak of a general thing . . . . The flesh is in this sense an "element of being." (VIE 139, VIF 183–84)

Thus, "my body sees only because it is a part of the visible in which it opens forth" (VIE 153–54, VIF 201). And being a "part," being "of" the visible, "of" its partage , and sharing in its fate—this means that "he who sees cannot possess the visible unless he is possessed by it" (VIE 134, VIF 177–78). In one stroke, this phenomenology succeeds in canceling the complicity of the philosopher's conception of vision in forms of domination and violence.

The figure of the flesh also enables Merleau-Ponty to introduce two other terms of decisive importance: "chiasm" and "intertwining." In his words, "by a sort of chiasm, we become the others and we become world" (VIE 160, VIF 212). And "things pass into us as well as we into things" (VIE 123, VIF 165). We need to recover, we need to see,

the intertwining of my life with the lives of others, of my body with the visible things, by the intersection of my perceptual field with that of others. (VIE 49, VIF 74)

We need to recover this experience for our way of looking and seeing. We need to understand that,

in reality, there is neither me nor the other as positive, positive subjectivities. There are . . . two opennesses, two stages where something will take place. (VIE 263, VIF 317)

And we need this understanding to serve as the "grounding" of our vision.

For Merleau-Ponty, the intertwinings, the chiasmic dynamics of the flesh, suggest that a certain reversibility takes place in the perceptual field:

The chiasm, reversibility, is the idea that every perception is doubled with a counter-perception . . . one no longer knows who speaks and who listens. (VIE 264–65, VIF 318)

― 228 ―
Nor, for that matter, who is the looking subject and who is the object seen.

But Merleau-Ponty further claims, repeating a point he made in "Eye and Mind" (EM 166), that this reversibility means that the flesh involves a certain process of "mirroring" (VIE 255, VIF 309) and that, in consequence, "the seer is caught up in what he sees, [so that] it is still himself he sees: there is a fundamental narcissism in all vision" (VIE 139, VIF 183). Elaborating the meaning of this claim, Merleau-Ponty continues, arguing that,

for the same reason, the vision he exercises he also undergoes from the things, such that, as many painters have said, I feel myself looked at by the things, my activity is equally my passivity—which is the second and more profound sense of the narcissism: not to see in the outside, as others see it, the contour of the body one inhabits, but especially to be seen by the outside, to exist within it, to emigrate into it, to be seduced, captivated, alienated by the phantom, so that the seer and the visible reciprocate one another and we no longer know which sees and which is seen. (VIE 139, VIF 183)

In other words, as I have argued elsewhere at greater length than I shall be able to argue here, this is a "mirroring" which actually, in effect, double-crosses the reflective "narcissism" that Merleau-Ponty discerns.[10] This is not the narcissism of Descartes, Freud or Lacan: not at all the self-absorption or self-aggrandizement of a monadic ego, but rather the beginning, in fact, of a deconstruction of ego-logical subjectivity. For while it is true that the others whom I see reflect my bodily presence back to me through their eyes, so that, when I look at them, I am able to see myself, this passage of reflection through the gaze of others also obliges me to see myself in dispossession, in a condition of decenteredness: I recognize myself as another for an other, and I am obliged to acknowledge that there are other perspectives. In the eyes of others, I behold the truth that I belong to the "universal flesh" of the visible and the invisible. Looking into the eyes of others, I may see myself; but what I should see is that I am exposed, vulnerable, held in their beholding. Thus I am exposed to the possibility of being touched and moved by what I see reflected in or through their gaze. The reflective mirroring between myself and the other thus sets in motion a certain reversibility of our positions. As I have argued elsewhere, this reversibility in the structuring of the visual field radically subverts the narcissism of vision and its obedience to a logic of identity. Moreover, it constitutes an experience of the utmost importance for the formation of one's sense of justice: it is a preliminary experience, an intimation, of the responsibility commanded by justice; it is already an experience of the meaning of justice.[11]

― 229 ―
Although Merleau-Ponty sees reversibility and reciprocity in the intertwinings and reflections set in motion between my gaze and yours, and sees, when reflecting on the significance of research into the "psychology" of the child, what he terms an "initial sympathy" and an "initial community," his unfortunate willingness to continue describing the mirroring and reversibility of chiasmic vision as a "narcissism" suggests that he still could not clearly see in the exchange of gazes that he discusses in The Visible and the Invisible the most radical subversion of narcissism and its logic of identity; nor does he seem to see any moral predisposition, any rudimentary or preliminary orientation toward the Good, toward Justice. And yet, he says that

we will have to recognize an ideality that is not alien to the flesh, that gives it its axes, its depth, its dimensions. (VIE 152, VIF 199)

What I want, therefore, to argue is that we need to think of this "ideality" as the "inscription" of a certain moral predisposition or orientation. I want to say that the prepersonal experience with vision constitutes the hint of a promise: the promise, namely, of a potential the development of which is possible. Not teleologically predetermined, not in the least assured, but always just possible—depending, in the case of children, on favorable social conditions, and in the case of adults, on their willingness to restore a felt connection between their vision and their prepersonal experience.

Returning to the Phenomenology of Perception , we find that Merleau-Ponty was already insisting there that

our relationship to the social is, like our relationship to the world, deeper than any express perception or any judgement. . . . We must return to the social with which we are in contact by the mere fact of existing, and which we carry about inseparably with us before any objectification. . . . The social is already there when we come to know or judge it. . . . Prior to the process of becoming aware, the social exists obscurely and as a summons [sourdement et comme sollicitation ]. (PPE 362, PPF 415–16)

This may be reassuring. But the argument sketched all too briefly in this chapter can easily be misunderstood. I certainly do not want to suggest that adults should undergo a regression to identity-confusion, regression to a mode of experiencing prior to the formation of ego-logical subjectivity, but rather that there is a need for vision to reestablish contact with chiasmic experience, with the intertwining of gazes, with the "universal flesh" out of which it emerged, so that an historically new form of subjectivity and a

― 230 ―
different way of looking and seeing, neither that of the prepersonal nor that of the egoic, might—perhaps—come into being.[12]

What we need, here, is a narrative giving phenomenological articulation to a certain developmental process in regard to our capacity for vision. In The Visible and the Invisible , Merleau-Ponty implied such a narrative, maintaining that

the stages passed through are not simply passed; they have called for or required the present stages. . . . The past stages continue therefore to be in the present stages—which also means that they are retroactively modified by them. (VIE 90, VIF 123)

We might begin the elaboration of this narrative by taking Merleau-Ponty's work to suggest a developmental schema showing, from a temporal and dynamic point of view, three phases or moments and, from a structural point of view, three dimensions or strata. [1] In the first phase, a phase we would identify with early childhood, there is a passive, anonymous, prepersonal experience with vision, an experience prior to thematic consciousness, prior to volition, and belonging to a time prior to the conventional, ego-logically constructed order of time, exposing the identity of the one who sees to the radical alterity of the chiasm, the intertwining and its reversibilities. Thus we might say that, in this phase, vision enacts the immediate responsiveness, or the immediately responsive responsibility, of a proto-moral self. [2] Stéphane Mallarmé once wrote these marvelous words, useful in introducing the second phase: "L'enfant abdique son extase. . . . "[13] In the second phase, a phase largely determined by the processes and conditions of socialization to which the child happens to be exposed, the experience of the first phase is aufgehoben , repressed and surpassed, but also to some extent still preserved, becoming a "tracework" dimension that continues to function "beneath" the formation of the egological subject. Here vision belongs to—and serves—the self-centered ego-subject of a bourgeois modernity whose way of looking and seeing is predominantly motivated by self-preservation and self-interest. Here, vision, detached from its experience of a chiasmic alterity, reflects and manifests the familiar forms of conventional ego-logical morality. [3] Whereas the first phase is a vision whose proto-moral disposition is the gift of nature and the second phase is the destiny of a vision that has been socially constructed, the third phase, manifesting the vision of a truly moral self, is entirely contingent on the moral motivation of the subject. In other words, the possibility for this phase to come about is entirely dependent on a certain "practice of the self": the willingness of the ego-logical subject to work

― 231 ―
on itself and undertake a process of radical self-deconstruction, whereby it would return to make contact with and retrieve (if only in the form of a certain tracework) the prepersonal experience of chiasmic vision that was suppressed, alienated, and forgotten in the course of a necessary and inevitable socialization.

To the extent that the subject retrieves something of the infant's first phase experience with vision, the "initial sympathy" normally constitutive of that phase could be taken up and developed, becoming a freely embraced, reflectively affirmed sympathy, while the first-phase participation of the infant's vision in the "syncretic sociability" of an "initial community" could become the adult citizen's participation in a deliberative community of principled sociability built on a true reciprocity of gazes—gazes which look with respect at one another and would be capable of reversing their point of view to identify it with that of the other. I want to speak, here, not of empathy, Einfühlung , but of sympathy, because the former is a concept that would inevitably inscribe the experience in question within the very metaphysics of subjectivity out of which Merleau-Ponty is trying to break. The prefix suggests the wrong picture: that of a solitary subject which must overcome its inwardness, its self-enclosure, to project and transfer its feelings into an other who is no less closed off from corporeal intersubjectivity.—And perhaps we should also say that the prefix suggests a picture which is an all-too-accurate reflection and representation of the alienated world modernity has produced, but which we must unequivocally oppose in order to flesh out the possibility of a vision constitutive of a radically different moral and political order.

The recuperation of this vision, were it to be undertaken, would be the realization of a response-ability that has always already claimed us as beings gifted with the capacity to see, but which, without this difficult work of retrieval in consciousness and freedom, would not be confirmed as the identity-shattering ground of our visionary existence. According to this schema, vision is a capacity stretched between the "always already" and the "not yet." For the "moral self" is a never-ending, never-completed, ongoing project of exposure to the other, a difficult and, for some, a frightening process of self-deconstruction in responsiveness to the other. But perhaps we can find some measure of comfort after all in the thought that the moral vision which we have not yet realized has by a gift of nature always already been granted us as a possible destiny.

The hope which this argument represents, a hope the adumbrations of which Merleau-Ponty's work traces and to which he gives expression in the second of the quotations at the beginning of this chapter, but which

― 232 ―
he never spelled out, is that the tracework recovery of this chiasmic experience—the restoration of felt contact with its intertwining of subjectivities—could alter the moral character of the predominant gaze.

In "The War Has Taken Place," written at the close of the Second World War, Merleau-Ponty reflected on anti-Semitism as a way of looking and seeing:

An anti-Semite could not stand to see Jews tortured if he really saw them, if he perceived that suffering and agony in an individual life—but this is just the point: he does not see Jews suffering; he is blinded by the myth of the Jew. He tortures and murders the Jew through these concrete beings; he struggles with dream figures, and his blows strike living faces. Anti-Semitic passion is not triggered by, nor does it aim at, concrete individuals.[14]

Perhaps. But does this reflection avoid confronting the question of radical evil? In any case, I believe that a looking and seeing in felt contact with what we might call, after Levinas, the asymmetry and heteronomy of its chiasmic dimension could not only, if it were engaged as a social practice, elevate the moral condition, the moral sense and sensibility of the human world; it could also, as some of the passages quoted earlier suggest, profoundly alter our relationship to nature, encouraging the development of a deeper sense of responsibility for the earth and the life it sustains—for its rivers and lakes, its forests, its animals.[15] If responsibility extends as far as our ability to be responsive, the emergence of a chiasmic vision would perhaps see with more feeling the injustices of our world and be moved by the very sight of so many threats to the inconceivable beauty of its life. Perhaps.

― 233 ―
Vision is . . . that gift of nature which Spirit [l'Esprit ] was called upon to make use of beyond all hope, to which it was to give a fundamentally new meaning, yet which was needed, not only to be incarnate, but in order to be at all.
Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Phenomenology of Perception (p. 127)

― 234 ―

spacer.gif

6— Outside the Subject: Merleau-Ponty's Chiasmic Vision
. . . . .

The Philosopher's Gaze

NOTE: Since it takes me more time than I have available to reinstate roman type where computer word processing subsumes everything into italics, link to the original text at the link rather than reading my attempted c&p. And for a more comprehensive understanding of MP's philosophy, read the other two sections of the book devoted to MP, linked in sequence in the T of C at the left of the page.

Last edited:
Primarily I think that 'giving up the hard problem' means that we have to ignore the nature of our experience in/of the world, and Fodor, unlike Strawson, apparently understands that.

In a post preceding this one you are evidently quoting Strawson in this extract:

"There’s no tension between the claim that minimal subjects exist and the best scientific psychology and neurology, or the current stress in philosophy of mind on the profoundly environmentally embedded, embodied, ‘enactive’, ‘ecological’, or (for short) EEE aspects of our experiential predicament as organic and social beings situated in a physical world. To think that there is, is to have misunderstood the present project. - Strawson minimal subject."

Steve, have you been able to understand Strawson's 'present project' in this piece and evaluate its adequacy and coherence, and if so would you help me out with a summary? I'm reluctant to slog through another Strawson paper watching him think out loud in fragments, juggling an array of presuppositional claims and partial arguments without integrating them in a well-supported conclusion.

Re: Strawson ... no. I would say read the reviews by Fodor and Nagel - you probably have. I'm just not sure Strawson can be pressed into service for @Soupie's views. What the various views we've looked at lately have in common is a desire to avoid the hard problem by saying consciousness is there from the start. The main critiques are:

1. how do you build a world, this world starting from consciousness?
2. experience has to be there from the start - and is experience the stuff that a substrate can be made of? Saying the substrate has everything you need seems to me no more elegant than the various physical solutions - and avoiding emergence seems to come at a very high cost - as high or higher than emergence itself

Fodor says: There is hardly anything that we may not have to cut loose from before the hard problem is through with us. He seems to be suggesting we may have to give up, finally, many of the presuppositions that have kept "us" warm and safe for a long time. That's probably more daunting for the scientists, for physicalists definitely - than the more metaphysically minded.

The trick for the metaphysically minded is to figure out what you can ground your thinking in. The challenge that the evolution of consciousness in bodies in this world presents is a very coherent story of physical and mental change. That's what struck me about Panksepp's work. The sticking point is how consciousness can be "ontologically new"? - Fodor also discusses this ... but on the other hand, the chain of reasoning that goes:

the hard problem, therefore consciousness is there from the start ... seems to me to be a little short.

Is consciousness just a matter of time before it shows up? And is that different from the case in which consciousness might not have shown up at all?

Last edited:
What the various views we've looked at lately have in common is a desire to avoid the hard problem by saying consciousness is there from the start. The main critiques are:

1. how do you build a world, this world starting from consciousness?
Perception and physics give us external access to reality. Perception and physics inform us that reality is dynamic and self-interacting.

But what is it, in itself, that is dynamic and self-interacting?

2. experince has to be there from the start - and is experience the stuff that a substrate can be made of?
It is hard to see how experience could emerge from dynamism and self-interaction.

We cannot seem to access experience via perception and physics.

But we know experience exists! Where is it? What is it?

What is it? What is it that is dynamic and self-interacting?

Saying the substrate has everything you need seems to me no more elegant than the various physical solutions
1) there are no physical solutions

2) by saying "the substrate has everything you need" I am say reality = reality

- and avoiding emergence seems to come at a very high cost - as high or higher than emergence itself
I disagree. I see no logical argument that consciousness must strongly emerge from the brain.

It certainly seems that way, but I haven't seen a strong argument that it must. Importantly, there are no models approaching an explanation of how it could.

Perception and physics give us external access to reality. Perception and physics inform us that reality is dynamic and self-interacting.

But what is it, in itself, that is dynamic and self-interacting?

It is hard to see how experience could emerge from dynamism and self-interaction.

We cannot seem to access experience via perception and physics.

But we know experience exists! Where is it? What is it?

What is it? What is it that is dynamic and self-interacting?

1) there are no physical solutions

2) by saying "the substrate has everything you need" I am say reality = reality

I disagree. I see no logical argument that consciousness must strongly emerge from the brain.

It certainly seems that way, but I haven't seen a strong argument that it must. Importantly, there are no models approaching an explanation of how it could.

I think we've covered all this before in various back-and-forth. If it works for you, I'm OK with that.

Substantial extract from that New Yorker review of Nagel's Mind and Cosmos, which we've looked at earlier:

Page-Turner, "Thomas Nagel: Thoughts Are Real"
July 16, 2013

". . . Physics is the question of what matter is. Metaphysics is the question of what exists. People of a rational, scientific bent tend to think that the two are coextensive—that everything is physical. Many who think differently are inspired by religion to posit the existence of God and souls; Nagel affirms that he’s an atheist, but he also asserts that there’s an entirely different realm of non-physical stuff that exists—namely, mental stuff. The vast flow of perceptions, ideas, and emotions that arise in each human mind is something that, in his view, actually exists as something other than merely the electrical firings in the brain that gives rise to them—and exists as surely as a brain, a chair, an atom, or a gamma ray.

In other words, even if it were possible to map out the exact pattern of brain waves that give rise to a person’s momentary complex of awareness, that mapping would only explain the physical correlate of these experiences, but it wouldn’t be them. A person doesn’t experience patterns, and her experiences are as irreducibly real as her brain waves are, and different from them.

Nagel offers mental activity as a special realm of being and life as a special condition—in the same way that biology is a special realm of science, distinct from physics. His argument is that, if the mental things arising from the minds of living things are a distinct realm of existence, then strictly physical theories about the origins of life, such as Darwinian theory, cannot be entirely correct. Life cannot have arisen solely from a primordial chemical reaction, and the process of natural selection cannot account for the creation of the realm of mind. Biology, in his view, becomes a variety of science that is radically distinct from physics—it deals with a vast and crucial realm of phenomena that physics doesn’t and can’t encompass, precisely because they’re aspects of living things that are not physical:

'subjective consciousness, if it is not reducible to something physical, … would be left completely unexplained by physical evolution—even if the physical evolution of such organisms is in fact a causally necessary and sufficient condition for consciousness.'

Since neither physics nor Darwinian biology—the concept of evolution—can account for the emergence of a mental world from a physical one, Nagel contends that the mental side of existence must somehow have been present in creation from the very start. But then he goes further, into strange and visionary territory. He argues that the faculty of reason is different from perception and, in effect, prior to it—“an irreducible faculty.” He suggests that any theory of the universe, any comprehensive mesh of physics and biology, will need to succeed in “showing how the natural order is disposed to generate beings capable of comprehending it.”

And this, he argues, would be a theory of teleology—a preprogrammed or built-in tendency in the universe toward the particular goal of fulfilling the possibilities of mentality. In a splendid image, Nagel writes, “Each of our lives is a part of the lengthy process of the universe gradually waking up and becoming aware of itself.”

In effect, the universe tends toward maximizing certain goals and places “value in the result toward which things tend”—and Nagel assimilates this metaphysical tendency to human morality, which would mesh, gradually and incrementally (with backward as well as forward steps) with the value that inheres in the universe. In this view, the discovery of those values is inextricable from the understanding of what the universe is. Physics and metaphysics, biology and moral philosophy join together in Nagel’s vision of a distant, eventually unified-field theory of the universe, of existence. His cosmic, overarching vision is remarkably anthropocentric—anchored in an idea of practical progress at a scale of human experience, with human history echoing the history of the universe.

I’m immensely sympathetic to Nagel’s line of thought (full disclosure: he was my professor for a semester at Princeton in the mid-seventies). It offers, in a vastly more substantial form, a parallel to my own view of movies. When discussion arose here several years ago regarding new trends toward realistic movie-making, I contended, in effect, that everything is real—that the realities that matter in movies are mental constructs, whether emotional or political, and that, therefore, a movie that rigorously represents solely the physical aspects and actions of its characters doesn’t necessarily come any closer to anything like reality, and may even get further from it.

A work of animation, a C.G.I. fantasy, or a film that depicts its characters’ dreams, visions, hallucinations, and inner voices—or that fragments events with montage of images and sounds—may well get to reality more intimately, deeply, or fully. The recent movie that seems best to embody a perspective similar to Nagel’s is Terrence Malick’s “The Tree of Life,” with its view of a kind of prehistorical history as related to lived (albeit imagined) experience. (The most famous example is the remarkable scene of C.G.I.-generated dinosaurs discovering a primordial sense of mercy.)

Nagel’s thesis has, I think, similarly radical consequences for philosophy itself. His argument implies that consciousness—indeed, mental life, whether conscious or not—is not atomic but holistic: there is no such thing as a piece or an atom of experience, but, rather, a mind at a given moment is flooded with an incalculable number of perceptions, memories, ideas, judgments, and desires. Even enumerating them in the plural is a little silly, because it implies the ability to isolate them as singular events or things. Therefore, philosophy, in order to account for mental life, will need to turn aside from isolated experiments in logic and argumentation in favor of rough-edged, life-sized chunks—historical events and figures, works of art, artists themselves, cities, countries, languages, human dramas of all sorts, lived or imagined.

Which is to say that, though Nagel doesn’t write about art in “Mind and Cosmos,” the book’s widest implications involve art and how it helps us to understand the world. If Nagel is right, art itself would no longer be merely the scientist’s leisure-time fulfillment but would be (I think, correctly) recognized as a primary mode of coming to grips with the mental and moral essence of the universe. It would be a key source of the very definition of life. Aesthetics will be propelled to the forefront of philosophy as a crucial part of metaphysical biology, and so, the writing and practice of philosophy will come to look more like texts by Nietzsche, with their own built-in aesthetic and subjective components and emphases on historical and practical events. The very beauty of Nagel’s theory—its power to inspire imagination—counts in its favor."

Thomas Nagel: Thoughts Are Real

I think it comes down to recognizing that we can and do experience and think about things, others, and ourselves, and the history of our species' consciousness, from the basis of what we have expressed concerning this ontological relatedness and interrelation, without understanding the means by which our expression of it has developed. We will need both physical and biological sciences in order to improve our insights into the nature of being, but not those approaches alone. We have to study consciousness and its expressions and insights as thoroughly as we study the sciences, if we are to get closer to understanding what we are..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back