• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 10

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
My approach is more inline with the pure panpsychism as described.

It feels like your view begins to change here in part 10, on page 4 with the caveat below:

I would use the langue above but reverse it: matter is a property of consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways.

But with a big caveat that you might not want to let me have.

Feeling isn't the only property that consciousness (feeling) as substrate has. It must have other properties, some of which we do consider material properties.

So ... Feeling isn't the only property that consciousness (feeling) as substrate has. It must have other properties, some of which we do consider material properties.

For one, consciousness (feeling) as substrate must be able to interact and differentiate. (Whether these are intrinsic or extrinsic properties I'm not sure.)

By saying that on my CR, consciousness (feeling) as substrate must have these properties, it may be that my view is captured by Russelian panpsychism or Strawson's real physicalism.

The one difference I maintain is that many of the properties of matter that we think of as objective and mind-independent are likely not.

smcder So if we substitute "matter is a property of consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways" into Feeling isn't the only property that consciousness (feeling) as substrate has. It must have other properties, some of which we do consider material properties

we get

Feeling isn't the only property that consciousness (feeling) as subtrate has. It must have other properties, some of which we do consider properties of consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways.

i.e. the statement that "matter is a property of consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways points more to idealism - because you define "material properties" (of consciousness) back into "a property of consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways ...

but after this caveat above that consciousness feeling as substrate has other properties, some of which we do consider material properties, you do begin to sound more like the "pure panpsychism" described above.

All roads lead to Neutral Monism ...

Here is Coleman's paper in which he proposes a neutral monist solution to the combination "dilemma"

http://consc.net/reef/colemancombination.pdf

The dilemma is as follows: Panpsychists take the micro-material realm to feature phenomenal properties, plus micro-subjects to whom these properties belong. However, it is impossible to explain the generation of a macro-subject (like one of us) in terms of the assembly of micro-subjects, for, as I show, subjects cannot combine. Therefore the panpsychist explanatory project is derailed by the insistence that the world’s ultimate material constituents are subjects of experience. The panpsychist faces a choice of giving up her explanatory ambitions, or of giving up the claim that the ultimates are subjects. I argue that the latter option is preferable, leading to neutral monism, on which phenomenal qualities are irreducible but subjects are reducible. So panpsychists should be neutral monists.

Conclusion I have argued, overall, that to remain true to their anti-emergentism, panpsychists must relinquish micro-subjects of experience, even as they take qualia to be irreducible, and should aim to construct a relational account of highlevel subjectivity. This combination amounts to a form of neutral monism, so panpsychists should be neutral monists. We can be to some degree optimistic about the prospects for this shift, since even panpsychist Nagel seems open to the leading idea: ‘Presumably’ he says ‘the components out of which a point of view is constructed would not themselves have to have points of view.’57

It feels like your view begins to change here in part 10, on page 4 with the caveat below:

I would use the langue above but reverse it: matter is a property of consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways.

Feeling isn't the only property that consciousness (feeling) as substrate has. It must have other properties, some of which we do consider material properties.

So ... Feeling isn't the only property that consciousness (feeling) as substrate has. It must have other properties, some of which we do consider material properties.

For one, consciousness (feeling) as substrate must be able to interact and differentiate. (Whether these are intrinsic or extrinsic properties I'm not sure.)

By saying that on my CR, consciousness (feeling) as substrate must have these properties, it may be that my view is captured by Russelian panpsychism or Strawson's real physicalism.

The one difference I maintain is that many of the properties of matter that we think of as objective and mind-independent are likely not.

smcder So if we substitute "matter is a property of consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways" into Feeling isn't the only property that consciousness (feeling) as substrate has. It must have other properties, some of which we do consider material properties

we get

Feeling isn't the only property that consciousness (feeling) as subtrate has. It must have other properties, some of which we do consider properties of consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways.

i.e. the statement that "matter is a property of consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways points more to idealism - because you define "material properties" (of consciousness) back into "a property of consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways ...

but after this caveat above that consciousness feeling as substrate has other properties, some of which we do consider material properties, you do begin to sound more like the "pure panpsychism" described above.
I had a whole post typed up on "classes" of properties yesterday but realized I was in way over my head with terms etc and figured it would simply add to the confusion.

Briefly however I had three classes:

(1) Intrinsic properties (of the substrate sufficient and necessary to give rise to subjective experience)

(2) extrinsic properties of this substrate arising from self-interaction (?)

(3) properties of perception (which would technically be class 2)

Edit: I think you'll see me mention those concepts much further back

I had a whole post typed up on "classes" of properties yesterday but realized I was in way over my head with terms etc and figured it would simply add to the confusion.

Briefly however I had three classes:

(1) Intrinsic properties (of the substrate sufficient and necessary to give rise to subjective experience)

Edit: I think you'll see me mention those concepts much further back

The main confusion in the post is that matter is defined as consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways, so to say that consciousness (feeling) has material properties is to say that consciousness (feeling) has properties of consciousness (feeling) arranged in certain ways - so that the relationship of matter to consciousness (feeling) appears to be one of Idealism (all is consciousness) - consciousness (feeling) is the substrate and matter is an arrangement of consciousness (feeling) - you then say:

and that is what we "consider" (do we consider correctly?) to be a material property (but material properties are just an arrangement of consciousness (feeling) as substrate) - so the ability to interact and differentiate just is a property of consciousness (feeling) as is matter - so the relationship of matter and consciousness still just seems to be that matter and other material properties are just arrangements of consciousness (feeling)

That's consistent with these 3 statements:

except that 2) is confusing because I wouldn't consider properties arising from self-interaction as extrinsic and this view still reads to me different from neutral monism or pure panpsychism discussed above.

If you're saying your view isn't Idealism - then what needs clarifying is the relationship of matter to consciousness (feeling) and a re-consideration of what consciousness feeling as "substrate" means.

I would also say that you need to get more readers. I am just an n of 1 - see if others read what you write the same way I do or have different or no confusions. Put it up on another forum or have a philosophy prof look at - there are also online editing services that will read it for clarity if not content.

http://consc.net/reef/colemancombination.pdf

key point:

"Recall that the struggle to avoid emergence was at the heart of panpsychism, which sought a smooth ontological transition from micro-matter to macro-consciousness. Since panpsychism is driven by the desire to avoid emergentism, the result we face is that a panpsychism which postulates ultimate-subjects is structurally unsound. Constitutional-panpsychism with-micro-subjects inevitably ends up breaking its own anti-emergentist pledge.

To the extent one holds panpsychism to be committed to micro-subjects, one will thus be forced to conclude that the view is doomed: it suffers from an internal self-contradiction.45 And to the panpsychist who concedes that macro-subjects indeed emerge somehow out of micro-subjects, but who has no better reason for postulating micro-consciousness than to avoid its emergence in us, we can justifiably say that the emergence of macro-phenomenality from nonphenomenal physical components (i.e. classic physicalism) cannot now consistently be dismissed as a possibility. As Seager says ‘if panpsychism itself requires a mechanism of emergence then why not take the theoretically more economical route of letting consciousness emerge directly from the physical basis itself rather than from a mental basis.’46 Indeed."

... but there is another way out ...

7. The Neutral Monist Alternative Panpsychism’s internal tension is encapsulable as follows. Panpsychists hold, in effect, that all non-fundamental properties are structural: they are reducible to properties at a more basic level plus the arrangement of the bearers of those properties. This is the non-emergence principle. It drives theorists to panpsychism since they find that, short of bearing phenomenal properties, physical micro-matter is an inadequate generation base for consciousness. If physical micro-matter lacked phenomenal properties, then macro-phenomenal properties could not be structural; they would have, unacceptably, to emerge. Yet panpsychists are also committed to the idea that phenomenal properties— qualia—necessarily exist for someone, a subject who experiences them. Hence the ultimates are held to be subjects. Yet subjects cannot combine: a higher-level subject cannot be a structural entity with respect to lower-level subjects putatively composing it, as we’ve seen. It transpires, therefore, that the panpsychist’s commitment to micro-subjects is at war with her commitment to all higher-level properties—particularly consciousness—being structural. Something has to give.

This sounds a bit more like @Soupie's "subjectless subjectivity"

"Panpsychists may well be right in holding that qualia—the qualitative properties we find in experience—are irreducible, and so (given the claim that all higherlevel properties are structural) fundamental. Where they go wrong is in attaching subjectivity essentially to qualia; the notion that there has to be ‘someone’ around to experience a given quale. Making the ultimates into little subjects chokes them off from being able to constitute a macro-subject. The moral of this failure is that qualia must be split off from subjectivity—the experiential awareness of qualia by subjects. Macro-qualia considered merely qualitatively, like patches of redness in the visual field, can be rendered as structural properties with respect to qualitative micro-underpinnings. But since subjects cannot combine into larger subjects, the only way to preserve the panpsychist anti-emergence principle when it comes to high-level subjecthood is to allow that, while quality is a fundamental affair, subjectivity must be susceptible of a relational, reductive treatment. That’s the only way to render macro-subjectivity as a structural property. A position taking qualities as irreducible features of matter, but which has subjective awareness of these qualities be a relational (and so reducible) affair, is neutral monism, of the sort the later James inclines towards.49 On neutral monism, unexperienced qualities permeate basic matter. Certain portions of matter exhibit a configuration which provides for awareness of the qualities they bear: matter, when specially arranged, can apprehend its own quality, in effect. This is consciousness. I now take these ideas in turn, explicating first a 49 See James 1912/2003. 29 conception of qualia whereby they can exist unexperienced, then a relational conception of subjectivity.

Next you would read this critique of Coleman's paper:

http://www.disputatio.com/wp-conten...-Michael_Panpsychism-without-Subjectivity.pdf

arguing:

"In what follows, I will challenge Coleman’s attempt to solve the Combination Problem in two steps. In section one (I) I will provide a brief sketch of Coleman’s position which I will conclude by formulating three suspicions: (1) Coleman’s approach to solving the Combination Problem by removing subjectivity from the fundamental level and transforming it into a derivative feature moves his own position close to a reductive representationalist account of consciousness or (2) moves it close to an emergentist account of consciousness (both of which stand in opposition to Panpsychism3 ); and (3) Given his reductionist account of subjectivity, he also cannot adequately solve the Combination Problem. In the subsequent section two (II) I will argumentatively flesh out these three suspicions to finally conclude that Coleman’s approach to solving the Combination Problem fails for the given reasons."

dang ... and I thought we had it for a moment there! ;-)

p. 8 and 9 on Wittgenstein and Ryle's views on consciousness are very helpful - steering between Behavior and Cartrsian -isms.

The whole piece is very good on the modern history of consciousness.

Yes, this is a very useful paper. I think @Burnt State might find it helpful in filling in some of the background of the issues we talk about in this thread.

Philosophical History and the Problem of Consciousness // Reviews // Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews // University of Notre Dame

The diagnosis offered is that analytic philosophy has a conception of meaning and explanation which it mistakenly regards as universally correct. The conception is what Livingston terms the "structuralist conception." A central task of the book is to articulate this conception and to trace the development that has placed it so deeply in the minds of analytic philosophers that it is hard for anyone to discern an alternative.

"A structural or structuralist explanation … is one that accounts for particular items by locating them in a broader structure of relations of one kind or another" . Structuralists operate with a conception of structured explanation; particular explanations are instances of this structure. Meaning or understanding is elucidated or achieved by generating such explanations. The trap it poses will vary with different types of structures, but the general problem can be illustrated with an example: For physicalists the distinctive structure will be the structure of explanations suitable for objective phenomena such as the sciences treat; but arguably many features of subjective experience -- its immediacy and directness, for example -- will not be explained in such structures. Hence, consciousness arguably must be irremediably problematized by physicalism.

sounds ... familiar ... :)

[response to a post by Steve] No, I disagree with this but I thinks it's moot. I'm not arguing that subjective experience exists without a subject.

At this point, I think it would be best for you to point out how the concept of subjectivity contradicts the notion that phenomenal consciousness is a substrate.

?? Aren't you asking Steve to do the work you need to do, the work required to support your own thesis that "phenomenal consciousness is a substrate" [indeed constitutes the substrate of all physical and subjective aspects of being that we have become aware of in our species' written philosophical and scientific history]?

As it is, you appear to be arguing that phenomenal consciousness, subjectivity, and subjective experience must strongly emerge simultaneously from non-phenomenal, physical processes. And thus exist in ontological duality.

I don't think that's what Steve is arguing, or what I have been arguing. Your recent adoption of the term/concept of 'strong emergence' and your adding here the notion of 'simultaneous strong emergence' of 'phenomenal consciousness, subjectivity, and subjective experience' from 'physical processes' sidesteps what we and others have recognized as the gradual evolution of affectivity, awareness, seeking behavior, proto-consciousness, prereflective consciousness, reflective consciousness, and mind following the beginnings of what is recognized scientifically as 'life' and properties of living beings. There's no 'strong emergence' or 'simultaneity' involved in this history.

Also, is Strawson's terminology that "we don't know enough about the intrinsic nature of the physical" simply more palatable than my terminology that the physical is our human perception of and perspective on the noumenal?

Not for me, and my impression is 'not for Steve' either. Strawson's statement that "we don't know enough about the intrinsic nature of the physical" is a simple and sound statement about our ignorance of 'the physical' in itself. That Strawson draws enormous -- and speculative -- provisional claims from that ignorance in his attempt to redefine subjectivity to the point of disappearing it does not signify that Steve or I support or agree with everything he writes.

Do you see a conceptual difference in those statements? If not, I can adopt Strawson's terminology.

I don't see how adopting Strawson's terminology would help you, or anyone, in what appear to be the goals you share with Strawson.

Philosophical History and the Problem of Consciousness // Reviews // Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews // University of Notre Dame

The diagnosis offered is that analytic philosophy has a conception of meaning and explanation which it mistakenly regards as universally correct. The conception is what Livingston terms the "structuralist conception." A central task of the book is to articulate this conception and to trace the development that has placed it so deeply in the minds of analytic philosophers that it is hard for anyone to discern an alternative.

"A structural or structuralist explanation … is one that accounts for particular items by locating them in a broader structure of relations of one kind or another" . Structuralists operate with a conception of structured explanation; particular explanations are instances of this structure. Meaning or understanding is elucidated or achieved by generating such explanations. The trap it poses will vary with different types of structures, but the general problem can be illustrated with an example: For physicalists the distinctive structure will be the structure of explanations suitable for objective phenomena such as the sciences treat; but arguably many features of subjective experience -- its immediacy and directness, for example -- will not be explained in such structures. Hence, consciousness arguably must be irremediably problematized by physicalism.

sounds ... familiar ... :)

I did a search for Livingston and came across a very impressive {and I think more recent} paper by him entitled "Presentation and the Ontology of Consciousness," available at this link:

Presentation and the Ontology of Consciousness

I copied out and pasted a considerable portion of the end of the paper in Word and will c&p it here:

“…Given this structural identity, however, it is still possible, as Chalmers argues, for a type-B materialist to hold that W does not contain consciousness: she can do so by holding that, whereas W is identical to the actual world structurally , it differs with respect to the intrinsic characters or natures of what is structurally related. If this difference is sufficient for W to lack consciousness, it follows that consciousness (as it is in the actual world) is not necessitated by the structural facts, but rather by the underlying intrinsic properties. These might be thought of, Chalmers suggests, as the intrinsic categorial bases for the structural relations of physics, and they would be, on this view, themselves responsible for the qualitative characters of consciousness. This sort of position–the position that consciousness is founded upon the underlying intrinsic properties of matter rather than their structural relationships-- is the position that Chalmers terms“type-F”(or “Russellian) monism.

Since, as Chalmers agrees, this possibility cannot be ruled out on the two-dimensional argument, it is necessary to modify the conclusion of the argument slightly: it does not fully establish the conclusion that materialism is false (and dualism or some other non-materialist position is true), but rather only a disjunctive claim: materialism is false, or type-F monism is true. As Chalmers points out, it is not in fact obvious whether or not the type-F monist position should be considered to be a physicalist one. If one holds that physical terms, as we already use them, already refer to the underlying intrinsic bases, then the type-F monist position has a good claim to be considered a physicalist rather than a dualist one.

On the other hand, it essentially introduces at least a conceptual and explanatory dualism between structural-dispositional properties, on the one hand, and their hidden categorial bases, on the other. More generally, the considerations that come to bear in this argument are just a local version of the more general ones captured in the broader argument for an explanatory gap between the physical – if this is understood in terms of the totality of structural/dispositional facts -- and the phenomenal. These considerations turn centrally on the relationship of the totality of structural and functional relations and explanations to what is outside or beyond them, or to what might be considered to vary while all structural and functional relations are held fixed. As Chalmers’ argument effectively points out, one such aspect of potential variation is indeed in the intrinsic or categorial bases of structural facts and relations. Indeed, the core of the argument for the possibility of type-F monism is the consideration that the specification of the totality of structural facts does not suffice to specify or determine the “intrinsic” natures of what is thereby structurally related. However, without gainsaying this consideration, we can reasonably ask whether this is in fact (as Chalmers suggests it is) the only relevant possible dimension of variation beyond what is specified by a specification of total structure.

And indeed, in light of considerations we have already explored, it appears likely that there is another dimension of potential variation that is even more directly relevant to the question of the limits of structural explanation. This is variation in the total presentational aspects of the structure, or the position from which the total structure can itself be presented. What, then, if we saw the root of both the conceivability of a structurally described world without consciousness, and the actual existence of consciousness in our world, as turning not on the presence or absence of “intrinsic” properties of a mysterious sort, but rather on the question of the presence or absence of conscious presentation itself?

On the one hand, it is evidently conceivable for there to be a world in which all physical facts – in the sense of structural and functional facts – are as they actually are, but there is no conscious presentation: no actual conscious availability or accessibility of anything As anything. There is nothing evidently contradictory about such a possibility, since the specification of any physical, structural or functional fact within a world is compatible with the assumption that it is not in any sense consciously presented by anything or anyone in that world.

On the other hand, on this sort of view, the dimension of variation embodied by the presence or absence of consciousness would not primarily or exclusively characterize the “intrinsic” properties of (actual-world) physical entities, but rather the total variation between worlds in which there is, and worlds in which there is not, conscious presentation. Since, as we have seen, the individuation of entities by means of conscious presentation both cannot be reduced to the (actual or modal) properties of individual real-world entities and, in the most characteristic cases, cross-cuts the individuation of entities in terms of their “metaphysical”profiles, there is no necessity here for the relevant presentational “properties” to be identified with the intrinsic or categorial properties of just those entities. Since it is determined not by the individual properties of (actual-world or metaphysically defined) entities but rather by the individuating functions from worlds to their inhabitants, the relevant dimension of variation operates, so to speak, on the level of worlds as wholes rather than simply on the level of these individual entities themselves. That is, in order to determine the presence or absence of the presentational properties in a world, we cannot simply look at the “intrinsic” properties of that world’s entities and facts – indeed, it must be insufficient to do so -- but instead we have to look at whether and how these entities and facts are presented to inhabitants of that world. To do this, as we have seen, we will typically have to consider how this presentation individuates entities in ways that cross-classify individuals, across possible worlds, with respect to their “metaphysical” identities.

But it is just here that the close connection we have seen between primary intensions – in the sense of what is primarily presented in consciousness – and the metaphysics of phenomenal consciousness itself, as plausibly constituted by just that presentation, comes directly to bear. Whereas this bearing is obscure on Type-F monism itself – which requires that we posit otherwise unknown categorial bases for the familiar structural and relational properties of physical matter, and then stipulate their identity (in our world) with phenomenal properties – on the kind of position recommended here, it is immediately and readily accounted for on simultaneously logical, metaphysical, and phenomenological grounds. We can illustrate this position more vividly by means of a line of argument that Chalmers develops in “The Two-Dimensional Argument Against Physicalism.” As he argues there, it is not in fact necessary,in order to establish the conclusion of the general 2-dimensional argument, to assume that primary and secondary intensions must coincide with respect to Q. It is sufficient to add a “that’s all” clause or fact to P: a fact saying that P includes all the facts true at the world under consideration. Then we can readily argue (from the conceivability of P & ~Q) that there is a minimal world – a world which includes all the positive facts in P, and nothing else – that (at least) verifies P but in which the primary intension of Q is false. Then, if P’s primary and secondary intensions coincide, there is a minimal P-world (a minimal world satisfying P) in which Q is false, and thus physicalism is false about our world (where Q is true).

As Chalmers says, on this alternative, it is possible that P necessitates Q, so that physicalism is actually true of the facts in Q, but given the existence of a minimal P world which fails to verify Q, physicalism is then (at any rate) false about the modes of presentation of these facts. Alternatively, if the primary and secondary intensions of P fail to coincide (as on the Type-F monist position), then the existence of a minimal world which verifies P but not Q leaves open the possibility that P necessitates Q, but this necessitation depends on both the structural and non-structural (Chalmers says ‘intrinsic’) profiles of P. In this case, as Chalmers says, we have a variety of monism in which the non-structural aspects of physical facts “are crucial for constituting the properties associated with the modes of presentation of consciousness.” Chalmers characterizes these non-structural aspects as the “intrinsic properties” of physics; but with these considerations in place, it is clear that the reference to “intrinsic properties” is largely vestigial. What is essential to the case at hand – in which we are essentially considering the epistemic and metaphysical implications of the claim that the physical facts are all the facts (this is the result of adding the “that’s all” claim to P) – is rather just that we cannot thereby make room for some modes of presentation, in particular those that actually
present phenomenal facts (in our world). This conclusion is already accessible, as soon as we consider the implications of adding the claim of totality with respect to the physical facts, and thereby considering the question of the position from which this totality can be presented, and it suffices to establish the disjunctive conclusion that dualism or some variety of non-structural monism is true.

If we do take the monist alternative, however, it now becomes particularly clear that what is left out of the physical facts as structurally described is essentially related to – or perhaps identical to – the presentational aspects of consciousness themselves. Despite the essential appeal to presentational aspects which are not inherently aspects of any “physical” or “material” object, this kind of position remains a monism rather than a dualism. Indeed, adopting it provides an important additional kind of motivation for monism, and thus for interpreting the general two-dimensional argument as supporting a monist position rather than any form of dualism. For as we have seen in the course of the discussion of Hintikka’s “individuating” functions, the temptation to assume that these functions introduce ontologically peculiar kinds of entities – for example sense-data, or indeed any kind of non-physical or non-material object – is readily countered by observing that the actual referents of the functions, across possible worlds, are just familiar entities of an ontologically single type. Thus the temptation to “reify” senses or other special intentional objects is shown to be simply an artifact of the way in which presentational individuation cross-cuts otherwise identified objects across possible worlds.

If correctly analyzed, the phenomena of presentation thus suggest no reason, even fully granting the soundness of Chalmers’ two-dimensional argument, to adopt a dualism of substances or entities. It is true that the argument, as it stands, leaves open either dualism or monism; but given the availability of the monist alternative here suggested and the plausibility of the claim that it suffices to account for the presentational properties of consciousness, dualism now has no evident motivation. Something similar apparently holds, as well, with respect to property dualism. Just as there is no need to introduce an ontologically distinct kind of object if the presentational “properties”and “entities” work as suggested, there is also no need to introduce any ontologically exotic types of properties of ordinary entities. The entities referred to in each of the worlds across which the individuating functions are defined, after all, just are the familiar ones, with their ordinary types of properties and relations. This importantly makes it evident that upholding the monist disjunct of Chalmers’ disjunctive conclusion need not in any sense involve a property dualism, or anything resembling such a position on the level of global ontology.

Independently of this, there are other reasons to prefer the kind of presentational monism I am presenting here over type-F or “intrinsic” monism as an answer to the problem posed by absence of consciousness from a total structural and functional description of the world. One is the question that inevitably arises, if type-F monism is adopted, about the “intrinsic” natures themselves. If these“intrinsic” natures do indeed have determinate characteristics, such that their presence or absence could determine the presence or absence of consciousness from the world, then why should these characteristics themselves not be describable within a general objective description of the world? But if they were so describable, then Mary could apparently be given full knowledge of them, even before her release from the room, and we would again face the problem that this provision would apparently not give her knowledge of phenomenal properties.

Conversely, moreover, type-F monism arguably does not help to account for the knowledge she does gain when she leaves the room: why should her visual perception present to her the (hitherto unknown) intrinsic categorial bases of the relevant structural properties, when presenting those structural properties in other ways does not? In both cases, the relevant phenomena are better accounted for by reference to the presence, or absence, of actual presentational properties, or of the actual occurrence or non-occurrence of an actual presentation of the relevant phenomenon. Finally, and for related reasons, type-F monism faces a difficult “combination” problem: how do the “proto-phenomenal” intrinsic properties that (on the view) actually underlie the physical structures “add up” to experienced phenomena? By contrast, the account in terms of presentational aspects does not involve any problem of composition or combination, since the possibility of a (phenomenal) presentation of a phenomenon is already seen as involved in the essential structure of a presentational perspective as such.

For all of these reasons, it appears that attention to the presentational aspects of consciousness motivates the novel kind of monist ontology I have argued for. On this ontology, though there is (as Hintikka emphasizes) only one ontological type of entities, there would nevertheless be a crucial irreducibility of consciousness to the purely extensional description of entities; and this explanatory irreducibility would be seen as producing an actual ontological irreducibility of consciousness, in the sense of presentation, to “physical” (or, indeed, other purely extensionally described) facts. This irreducibility of consciousness would then be seen as an aspect, or ontological reflection, of its inherently first-personal or perspectival character, such that it picks out its referents, as classical phenomenology emphasizes, always from a specific position or point of view. Despite this essential invocation of a perspective or point of view, however, the recommended position is not an idealism; for the claim is not that the mind or subjectivity constitutes or produces the (actual or possible world) phenomena it refers to, or even their sense. With respect to these entities and, indeed, “subjectivity” itself, it involves only the same ontological commitments to which standard possible-world semantics already makes recourse.

In closing, however, it must be admitted that given only these ontological commitments, it is not immediately obvious why consciousness should be irreducible in this sense. I have argued that there is reason to think this irreducibility can be connected to the irreducibility of the perspective from which primary intensions, or presentational individuating functions, are necessarily deployed across possible worlds. But we have not really seen why these functions, understood as such, must be essentially and irreducibly “non-extensional”: what, that is, that essentially prevents them from being cashed out as “functions in extension,” or in other words as (purely extensional) sets of ordered pairs of worlds and entities? After all, they are just functions: why could not any one, or all, of these functions just be given by means of finitely stated rules that are themselves accessible in principle from any point of view?

Though I will not develop these arguments here, however, I do think there are two broad ways in which one can argue for this irreducibility on principled grounds connected to what is plausibly the structure of these functions themselves. The first way would be to argue that because the presentational phenomena are, just as such, “semantic” in the sense first used by Tarski to characterize truth, the functions that characterize them exhibit an essential “meta-logical” irreducibility to (first-order) “syntactic” structures or systems. On this sort of position, just as Tarski demonstrated that truth must be irreducible to the syntax of an extensional language, so, and for essentially similar reasons, the presentational phenomena might actually be seen as irreducible to the extensional description of facts. Monism on the level of these facts themselves could, however, naturally be preserved; and the metalogical implications of “diagonalization” (in the sense in which Tarski’s theorem applies it) would themselves suffice to guarantee the real irreducibility of consciousness as presentation. The analogy considered here – between the irreducibility of the mental to the physical, on the one hand, and the irreducibility of semantics to syntax, on the other – is actually offered by Davidson in his original defense of anomalous monism, in “Mental Events.” But rather than applying it, as Davidson does, to considerations about law and causation, the present considerations appear to suggest its use to establish the actually ontological conclusion of the irreducibility of presentation to the totality of what is presented, while monism is nevertheless preserved.

The second way might be to appeal to broadly “Kripkensteinian” considerations about the application of the “content” of a presentation across cases, including (as we have seen) the variety of possible worlds, considered as actual. If, as Kripke interprets Wittgenstein as arguing, any attempt to capture this application by means of a finitely stated rule leaves open the skeptical possibility of a (purportedly) “non-standard” application in a new case, then the actual pattern of application that is embodied in this content cannot in general be reduced to such a finite statement. This is perhaps why Wittgenstein says that, although any provision of a rule appears to demand another rule for interpreting that one, there is nevertheless a way of “grasping a rule” which is “not an interpretation” but rather turns on “what we” call following or going against the rule as we proceed from case to case. As I have suggested in connection with primary intensions and individuating functions, the collective first-personal “we” here may indeed be essential: it is not possible in general to account comprehensively for what is involved in a conscious presentation – that is, to account exhaustively for what it in fact determines, across possible worlds considered as actual – purely in third-person or indeed in simply extensional terms, and the irreducibility of presentational content as such to these terms would then once more be vindicated. It would be a further and welcome exegetical consequence of this that, far from repudiating or rejecting the idea of the essentiality of “inner” or consciously presented contents of thought,Wittgenstein’s considerations would rather be seen as pointing out, in a profound way, their real ontological character.”

Last edited:
Motivation : philosophy::location:real estate

New APPS Interview: Paul Livingston

A good discussion too of the analytic continetal divide its history and the future of philosophy.

"Yes, of course. I don’t mean to be denying this background or disputing the appropriateness of the kinds of concern that grow from these roots. In fact, I think it’s absolutely essential that philosophy position itself, at least in part, in an exterior place with respect to mainstream society and common sense. But speaking just about the institutional development of academic philosophy in the US since World War II, I do think it’s important to recognize that there’s a tendency on the continental side toward self-segregation and even a degree of self-marginalization, against what is seen as a monolithic tradition of analytic philosophy.

OK, I can see something of that, for sure.

The funny thing about this is also that, on the analytic side, the 1960s is just the moment at which people come to see the original problematics (for instance the project of the Vienna Circle, which was originally, among other things, a really profound socio-political project) as exhausted or pointless, so that what survives is just a kind of ostensibly indifferent style, which is actually in some ways quite dogmatic, in particular in the ways in which it puts certain options on the table while excluding others in advance. So what you get is, basically, a stylistic divide that backs up methodological prejudices on both sides that have no real rationale that even their partisans can articulate."

Last edited:
I did a search for Livingston and came across a very impressive {and I think more recent} paper by him entitled "Presentation and the Ontology of Consciousness," available at this link:

Presentation and the Ontology of Consciousness

I copied out and pasted a considerable portion of the end of the paper in Word and will c&p it here:

“…Given this structural identity, however, it is still possible, as Chalmers argues, for a type-B materialist to hold that W does not contain consciousness: she can do so by holding that, whereas W is identical to the actual world structurally , it differs with respect to the intrinsic characters or natures of what is structurally related. If this difference is sufficient for W to lack consciousness, it follows that consciousness (as it is in the actual world) is not necessitated by the structural facts, but rather by the underlying intrinsic properties. These might be thought of, Chalmers suggests, as the intrinsic categorial bases for the structural relations of physics, and they would be, on this view, themselves responsible for the qualitative characters of consciousness. This sort of position–the position that consciousness is founded upon the underlying intrinsic properties of matter rather than their structural relationships-- is the position that Chalmers terms“type-F”(or “Russellian) monism.

Since, as Chalmers agrees, this possibility cannot be ruled out on the two-dimensional argument, it is necessary to modify the conclusion of the argument slightly: it does not fully establish the conclusion that materialism is false (and dualism or some other non-materialist position is true), but rather only a disjunctive claim: materialism is false, or type-F monism is true. As Chalmers points out, it is not in fact obvious whether or not the type-F monist position should be considered to be a physicalist one. If one holds that physical terms, as we already use them, already refer to the underlying intrinsic bases, then the type-F monist position has a good claim to be considered a physicalist rather than a dualist one.

On the other hand, it essentially introduces at least a conceptual and explanatory dualism between structural-dispositional properties, on the one hand, and their hidden categorial bases, on the other. More generally, the considerations that come to bear in this argument are just a local version of the more general ones captured in the broader argument for an explanatory gap between the physical – if this is understood in terms of the totality of structural/dispositional facts -- and the phenomenal. These considerations turn centrally on the relationship of the totality of structural and functional relations and explanations to what is outside or beyond them, or to what might be considered to vary while all structural and functional relations are held fixed. As Chalmers’ argument effectively points out, one such aspect of potential variation is indeed in the intrinsic or categorial bases of structural facts and relations. Indeed, the core of the argument for the possibility of type-F monism is the consideration that the specification of the totality of structural facts does not suffice to specify or determine the “intrinsic” natures of what is thereby structurally related. However, without gainsaying this consideration, we can reasonably ask whether this is in fact (as Chalmers suggests it is) the only relevant possible dimension of variation beyond what is specified by a specification of total structure.

And indeed, in light of considerations we have already explored, it appears likely that there is another dimension of potential variation that is even more directly relevant to the question of the limits of structural explanation. This is variation in the total presentational aspects of the structure, or the position from which the total structure can itself be presented. What, then, if we saw the root of both the conceivability of a structurally described world without consciousness, and the actual existence of consciousness in our world, as turning not on the presence or absence of “intrinsic” properties of a mysterious sort, but rather on the question of the presence or absence of conscious presentation itself?

On the one hand, it is evidently conceivable for there to be a world in which all physical facts – in the sense of structural and functional facts – are as they actually are, but there is no conscious presentation: no actual conscious availability or accessibility of anything As anything. There is nothing evidently contradictory about such a possibility, since the specification of any physical, structural or functional fact within a world is compatible with the assumption that it is not in any sense consciously presented by anything or anyone in that world.

On the other hand, on this sort of view, the dimension of variation embodied by the presence or absence of consciousness would not primarily or exclusively characterize the “intrinsic” properties of (actual-world) physical entities, but rather the total variation between worlds in which there is, and worlds in which there is not, conscious presentation. Since, as we have seen, the individuation of entities by means of conscious presentation both cannot be reduced to the (actual or modal) properties of individual real-world entities and, in the most characteristic cases, cross-cuts the individuation of entities in terms of their “metaphysical”profiles, there is no necessity here for the relevant presentational “properties” to be identified with the intrinsic or categorial properties of just those entities. Since it is determined not by the individual properties of (actual-world or metaphysically defined) entities but rather by the individuating functions from worlds to their inhabitants, the relevant dimension of variation operates, so to speak, on the level of worlds as wholes rather than simply on the level of these individual entities themselves. That is, in order to determine the presence or absence of the presentational properties in a world, we cannot simply look at the “intrinsic” properties of that world’s entities and facts – indeed, it must be insufficient to do so -- but instead we have to look at whether and how these entities and facts are presented to inhabitants of that world. To do this, as we have seen, we will typically have to consider how this presentation individuates entities in ways that cross-classify individuals, across possible worlds, with respect to their “metaphysical” identities.

But it is just here that the close connection we have seen between primary intensions – in the sense of what is primarily presented in consciousness – and the metaphysics of phenomenal consciousness itself, as plausibly constituted by just that presentation, comes directly to bear. Whereas this bearing is obscure on Type-F monism itself – which requires that we posit otherwise unknown categorial bases for the familiar structural and relational properties of physical matter, and then stipulate their identity (in our world) with phenomenal properties – on the kind of position recommended here, it is immediately and readily accounted for on simultaneously logical, metaphysical, and phenomenological grounds. We can illustrate this position more vividly by means of a line of argument that Chalmers develops in “The Two-Dimensional Argument Against Physicalism.” As he argues there, it is not in fact necessary,in order to establish the conclusion of the general 2-dimensional argument, to assume that primary and secondary intensions must coincide with respect to Q. It is sufficient to add a “that’s all” clause or fact to P: a fact saying that P includes all the facts true at the world under consideration. Then we can readily argue (from the conceivability of P & ~Q) that there is a minimal world – a world which includes all the positive facts in P, and nothing else – that (at least) verifies P but in which the primary intension of Q is false. Then, if P’s primary and secondary intensions coincide, there is a minimal P-world (a minimal world satisfying P) in which Q is false, and thus physicalism is false about our world (where Q is true).

As Chalmers says, on this alternative, it is possible that P necessitates Q, so that physicalism is actually true of the facts in Q, but given the existence of a minimal P world which fails to verify Q, physicalism is then (at any rate) false about the modes of presentation of these facts. Alternatively, if the primary and secondary intensions of P fail to coincide (as on the Type-F monist position), then the existence of a minimal world which verifies P but not Q leaves open the possibility that P necessitates Q, but this necessitation depends on both the structural and non-structural (Chalmers says ‘intrinsic’) profiles of P. In this case, as Chalmers says, we have a variety of monism in which the non-structural aspects of physical facts “are crucial for constituting the properties associated with the modes of presentation of consciousness.” Chalmers characterizes these non-structural aspects as the “intrinsic properties” of physics; but with these considerations in place, it is clear that the reference to “intrinsic properties” is largely vestigial. What is essential to the case at hand – in which we are essentially considering the epistemic and metaphysical implications of the claim that the physical facts are all the facts (this is the result of adding the “that’s all” claim to P) – is rather just that we cannot thereby make room for some modes of presentation, in particular those that actually
present phenomenal facts (in our world). This conclusion is already accessible, as soon as we consider the implications of adding the claim of totality with respect to the physical facts, and thereby considering the question of the position from which this totality can be presented, and it suffices to establish the disjunctive conclusion that dualism or some variety of non-structural monism is true.

If we do take the monist alternative, however, it now becomes particularly clear that what is left out of the physical facts as structurally described is essentially related to – or perhaps identical to – the presentational aspects of consciousness themselves. Despite the essential appeal to presentational aspects which are not inherently aspects of any “physical” or “material” object, this kind of position remains a monism rather than a dualism. Indeed, adopting it provides an important additional kind of motivation for monism, and thus for interpreting the general two-dimensional argument as supporting a monist position rather than any form of dualism. For as we have seen in the course of the discussion of Hintikka’s “individuating” functions, the temptation to assume that these functions introduce ontologically peculiar kinds of entities – for example sense-data, or indeed any kind of non-physical or non-material object – is readily countered by observing that the actual referents of the functions, across possible worlds, are just familiar entities of an ontologically single type. Thus the temptation to “reify” senses or other special intentional objects is shown to be simply an artifact of the way in which presentational individuation cross-cuts otherwise identified objects across possible worlds.

If correctly analyzed, the phenomena of presentation thus suggest no reason, even fully granting the soundness of Chalmers’ two-dimensional argument, to adopt a dualism of substances or entities. It is true that the argument, as it stands, leaves open either dualism or monism; but given the availability of the monist alternative here suggested and the plausibility of the claim that it suffices to account for the presentational properties of consciousness, dualism now has no evident motivation. Something similar apparently holds, as well, with respect to property dualism. Just as there is no need to introduce an ontologically distinct kind of object if the presentational “properties”and “entities” work as suggested, there is also no need to introduce any ontologically exotic types of properties of ordinary entities. The entities referred to in each of the worlds across which the individuating functions are defined, after all, just are the familiar ones, with their ordinary types of properties and relations. This importantly makes it evident that upholding the monist disjunct of Chalmers’ disjunctive conclusion need not in any sense involve a property dualism, or anything resembling such a position on the level of global ontology.

Independently of this, there are other reasons to prefer the kind of presentational monism I am presenting here over type-F or “intrinsic” monism as an answer to the problem posed by absence of consciousness from a total structural and functional description of the world. One is the question that inevitably arises, if type-F monism is adopted, about the “intrinsic” natures themselves. If these“intrinsic” natures do indeed have determinate characteristics, such that their presence or absence could determine the presence or absence of consciousness from the world, then why should these characteristics themselves not be describable within a general objective description of the world? But if they were so describable, then Mary could apparently be given full knowledge of them, even before her release from the room, and we would again face the problem that this provision would apparently not give her knowledge of phenomenal properties.

Conversely, moreover, type-F monism arguably does not help to account for the knowledge she does gain when she leaves the room: why should her visual perception present to her the (hitherto unknown) intrinsic categorial bases of the relevant structural properties, when presenting those structural properties in other ways does not? In both cases, the relevant phenomena are better accounted for by reference to the presence, or absence, of actual presentational properties, or of the actual occurrence or non-occurrence of an actual presentation of the relevant phenomenon. Finally, and for related reasons, type-F monism faces a difficult “combination” problem: how do the “proto-phenomenal” intrinsic properties that (on the view) actually underlie the physical structures “add up” to experienced phenomena? By contrast, the account in terms of presentational aspects does not involve any problem of composition or combination, since the possibility of a (phenomenal) presentation of a phenomenon is already seen as involved in the essential structure of a presentational perspective as such.

For all of these reasons, it appears that attention to the presentational aspects of consciousness motivates the novel kind of monist ontology I have argued for. On this ontology, though there is (as Hintikka emphasizes) only one ontological type of entities, there would nevertheless be a crucial irreducibility of consciousness to the purely extensional description of entities; and this explanatory irreducibility would be seen as producing an actual ontological irreducibility of consciousness, in the sense of presentation, to “physical” (or, indeed, other purely extensionally described) facts. This irreducibility of consciousness would then be seen as an aspect, or ontological reflection, of its inherently first-personal or perspectival character, such that it picks out its referents, as classical phenomenology emphasizes, always from a specific position or point of view. Despite this essential invocation of a perspective or point of view, however, the recommended position is not an idealism; for the claim is not that the mind or subjectivity constitutes or produces the (actual or possible world) phenomena it refers to, or even their sense. With respect to these entities and, indeed, “subjectivity” itself, it involves only the same ontological commitments to which standard possible-world semantics already makes recourse.

In closing, however, it must be admitted that given only these ontological commitments, it is not immediately obvious why consciousness should be irreducible in this sense. I have argued that there is reason to think this irreducibility can be connected to the irreducibility of the perspective from which primary intensions, or presentational individuating functions, are necessarily deployed across possible worlds. But we have not really seen why these functions, understood as such, must be essentially and irreducibly “non-extensional”: what, that is, that essentially prevents them from being cashed out as “functions in extension,” or in other words as (purely extensional) sets of ordered pairs of worlds and entities? After all, they are just functions: why could not any one, or all, of these functions just be given by means of finitely stated rules that are themselves accessible in principle from any point of view?

Though I will not develop these arguments here, however, I do think there are two broad ways in which one can argue for this irreducibility on principled grounds connected to what is plausibly the structure of these functions themselves. The first way would be to argue that because the presentational phenomena are, just as such, “semantic” in the sense first used by Tarski to characterize truth, the functions that characterize them exhibit an essential “meta-logical” irreducibility to (first-order) “syntactic” structures or systems. On this sort of position, just as Tarski demonstrated that truth must be irreducible to the syntax of an extensional language, so, and for essentially similar reasons, the presentational phenomena might actually be seen as irreducible to the extensional description of facts. Monism on the level of these facts themselves could, however, naturally be preserved; and the metalogical implications of “diagonalization” (in the sense in which Tarski’s theorem applies it) would themselves suffice to guarantee the real irreducibility of consciousness as presentation. The analogy considered here – between the irreducibility of the mental to the physical, on the one hand, and the irreducibility of semantics to syntax, on the other – is actually offered by Davidson in his original defense of anomalous monism, in “Mental Events.” But rather than applying it, as Davidson does, to considerations about law and causation, the present considerations appear to suggest its use to establish the actually ontological conclusion of the irreducibility of presentation to the totality of what is presented, while monism is nevertheless preserved.

The second way might be to appeal to broadly “Kripkensteinian” considerations about the application of the “content” of a presentation across cases, including (as we have seen) the variety of possible worlds, considered as actual. If, as Kripke interprets Wittgenstein as arguing, any attempt to capture this application by means of a finitely stated rule leaves open the skeptical possibility of a (purportedly) “non-standard” application in a new case, then the actual pattern of application that is embodied in this content cannot in general be reduced to such a finite statement. This is perhaps why Wittgenstein says that, although any provision of a rule appears to demand another rule for interpreting that one, there is nevertheless a way of “grasping a rule” which is “not an interpretation” but rather turns on “what we” call following or going against the rule as we proceed from case to case. As I have suggested in connection with primary intensions and individuating functions, the collective first-personal “we” here may indeed be essential: it is not possible in general to account comprehensively for what is involved in a conscious presentation – that is, to account exhaustively for what it in fact determines, across possible worlds considered as actual – purely in third-person or indeed in simply extensional terms, and the irreducibility of presentational content as such to these terms would then once more be vindicated. It would be a further and welcome exegetical consequence of this that, far from repudiating or rejecting the idea of the essentiality of “inner” or consciously presented contents of thought,Wittgenstein’s considerations would rather be seen as pointing out, in a profound way, their real ontological character.”
Incredible. Will require careful reading and re-reading.

From the interview posted above:

So, revisiting history can let us see unresolved problems. What about methodological issues?

Methodologically, as well, the split protects certain kinds of limitations that we’d probably do well to overcome. On the analytic side, even (perhaps especially) in “top” departments, there’s a somewhat uncritical and even dogmatic set of operative assumptions not only about where the problem space is, but also about what “moves” one is allowed to make in response. This goes along with (but possibly isn’t exhausted by) what’s sometimes called “naturalism” (by its friends) or “scientism” (by its enemies).

Well, you’re not mincing words here (“uncritical and dogmatic”!) I’m afraid to hear what you’re going to say about continentals!

On the continental side, there’s, as noted, a kind of self-marginalization and also, quite damagingly, a leftover hermeneutic piety that leads people to favor exegesis (or worse, apologetics) over argument. There’s also a kind of marginal aestheticism about philosophy that can make it quite difficult to make progress with the most important questions.

Motivation : philosophy::location:real estate

New APPS Interview: Paul Livingston

A good discussion too of the analytic continental divide its history and the future of philosophy.

"Yes, of course. I don’t mean to be denying this background or disputing the appropriateness of the kinds of concern that grow from these roots. In fact, I think it’s absolutely essential that philosophy position itself, at least in part, in an exterior place with respect to mainstream society and common sense. But speaking just about the institutional development of academic philosophy in the US since World War II, I do think it’s important to recognize that there’s a tendency on the continental side toward self-segregation and even a degree of self-marginalization, against what is seen as a monolithic tradition of analytic philosophy.

OK, I can see something of that, for sure.

The funny thing about this is also that, on the analytic side, the 1960s is just the moment at which people come to see the original problematics (for instance the project of the Vienna Circle, which was originally, among other things, a really profound socio-political project) as exhausted or pointless, so that what survives is just a kind of ostensibly indifferent style, which is actually in some ways quite dogmatic, in particular in the ways in which it puts certain options on the table while excluding others in advance. So what you get is, basically, a stylistic divide that backs up methodological prejudices on both sides that have no real rationale that even their partisans can articulate."

So glad you found and linked this interview with Livingston. The following is a key exchange I think:

"In terms of the development of my own projects, I think my main concern has always been a certain question about structure and what resists it, or is thought of as outside it. In some contexts, for instance philosophy of mind, this is an epistemological problem about the limits of certain kinds of explanation, but it has dimensions that are much broader as well. For instance I think there’s a very deep sense in which the single most characteristic innovation of philosophical thought in the twentieth century, analytic and continental, is a certain thought of language, and that this is precisely, and in an unprecedented sense, a thought of language as structure.

Well, if this were a debate rather than an interview I think I’d go with structure as important, but not necessarily that language is the most important thing generated by structures (which I’d like to call “multiplicities” anyway). Actually
I’d move away from the whole structure / genesis way of talking about multiplicities, but, as the old saying goes, enough about me, what about you?

The problem that interests me isn’t quite the same as the problem of “structure vs. genesis” that Derrida finds problematic in Husserl. It’s rather, I would say, something more like a problem of structure and its limits, and of what happens at or beyond these limits; as, for instance, the problem of what led the early Wittgenstein to identify the limit of language with the limit of the world, and to identify the “transcendental subject” with both. This kind of problem arises in a determinate way, as I argued in Philosophy and the Vision of Language, when language (or logic) is thought of as a total structure; and whatever we might say about this thought, it is one that is absolutely essential to both early analytic philosophy and French structuralism, and all that flows from both. This thought, as it occurs in the twentieth century, is a more or less unprecedented and new conception of language, and even more broadly, I’d say it witnesses to – because it is also directly related to – some of the most characteristic developments of technological and social/political forms (and problems) in the twentieth century as well. For instance, if we can say (with, say, Badiou in The Century) that the political, scientific, and even aesthetic configurations of the twentieth century are in a certain unique way obsessed with forms and formalization, then it is no accident that this obsession recurrently manifests itself as the attempt to structure life by means of abstract, instrumental, and formal systems. And these processes are themselves, of course, inconceivable without the development of twentieth-century technologies of computation, communication and information, which are intimately linked to the development of a “logical” conception of language as a structure of signs, and in fact to formal/symbolic logic itself. So the critical question is really a question of the possibility and bounds of structure, and of what resists it on the level of meaning, life, or truth. This is where Wittgenstein is deeply relevant, probably more so than classic critical theorists like Adorno or Habermas, because of the sense in which he thinks through the lived consequences of forms and formalism more deeply and internally, I would say, than anyone else in the twentieth century."

I want to read Livingston's Philosophy and the Vision of Language next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back