• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Comment about C2C

thats for the insight... i bet not to many people know this... and it should be taught....

I have taken some junior level history courses... for options... and really all you get is the QUICK version of WW1 and WW2... it kind of sucks...

I may have come off ignorant, but with the amount of info out there what am I to beleive is right or wrong half the time. I don't watch a denial video and run out into teh streets and tell everyone... "hey guess what? the holocaust never happened!!!" That would be retarded.

as for my view on the middle east... I still hold that opinion and that had nothing to do with what I may have thought about holocaust facts...

as for now... back to alien and paranormal ****.

hopeful skeptic said:
*sigh*

No, sir, there isn't a consensual reality. There is reality, which is supported by evidence. Consensus has nothing to do with reality, or with truth. If 100 people are standing in a room and 99 of them proclaim that all bunny rabbits are blue, and only one person stands in opposition to them with demonstrable evidence at his side, he is correct and they are wrong.

Hi, you post a lot of good points. I've reconsidered my position regarding the state of the media and its exposure of paranormal subects. I probably should've mentioned the fact that I haven't owned a television for the last 6 years. I'm kind of anti-TV, so I might be operating on assumptions as far as contemporary culture goes.

But I quoted the above section of your response because it's the only part I really disagree with. I still happen to think that there is in fact a consensual reality, based upon the nature of "evidence".

I do happen to believe that there is an objective reality underlying everything. But notice that even in your example, the objective reality is that the rabbit is not blue, but the consensual reality is that it IS blue. What if that remaining 1% also thought the rabbit was blue? What if these people violently defended this "fact" so that it was not questioned? Then the "objective reality" becomes rather useless eh? Your argument against my statement contains something that supports my statement.

Unless I'm also out of the loop regarding this particular pop culture item, the majority of people in the world agree that the earth is largely filled with magma. Where there is liquid magma there can be no hollow cavities, I think you knew that this was my point so I'm not sure why you even argued this point - unless it's semantics (ie, "carlsbad cavern is a hollow cavity"). Though we have not drilled more than 20 miles into the crust of our earth, the entire composition of our earth is consensually agreed upon. The specific elements are up for debate, but the fundamental concept cannot be challenged: there are no hollow cavities inside the earth. And by hollow cavities, I mean huge hollow cavities large enough to support civilizations of humans or other beings who might be sharing this earth with us.

Geologists have "evidence" that the earth is composed of what they say it is composed of, but there is also "evidence" that the interior of the earth is NOT composed of what they say it is composed of (ie, deep quakes).

You seem like a smart guy and I would guess that you already know this stuff, which is why I can't figure out why you're arguing this point about consensual reality.

A guy goes to school, he learns fundamental information about our world from a BOOK. This information he accepts as true, he has not experienced it first-hand but still he accepts it for no other reason than the fact that it is issuing from a source of authority. Hey if it was false then it would have been changed by now, right?

Then he goes into his chosen field. Specific areas of his field are considered territory for question, but the fundmentals are considered unquestionable. You can argue the mechanisms of evolution by natural selection, but not evolution itself. If you are an established scientist in your field and you DO question the fundamentals, then you are a maverick and receive ridicule (ie, Rupert Sheldrake).

In fact, evolution is a subject I really enjoy and it's a good example. Evolutionists have the "evidence" to support their theories, and I've read them. They're solid. Those scientists (not creationists) countering evolution also have "evidence" supporting their theories and those are solid as well. No one has SEEN a man evolve from a monkey and so people pick their side of the argument based upon what the authority figures tell them, or whichever appeals to them.

This whole scenario, in all branches of knowledge, leads to a consensual reality, a model of the world that is supported by nothing other than mutual agreement and books. And it is not allowed to be questioned because important people have staked their reputation upon it.

By saying all this stuff, I'm not disregarding evidence as a useless thing to pursue. I am a seeker of evidence myself, this is only to support the idea of a consensual reality overlaying what I hope is an objective reality.

And I can do no more than hope becase after all, in the end there is not a single piece of evidence in all the world outside of our *subjective* mechanisms of perception.

Wow, now that's a dog chasing it's own sophistic tale if ever I've seen one!

I'm incredulous!

hopeful skeptic said:
I'm still awaiting your response to my first question to you: How does a reality have "facets," in the sense that the paranormal crowd means it? I hear that phrase all the time, and have no idea how one comes to that conclusion. I suspect what "facets of reality" really means is "Here's a collection of speculations completely unsupported by, and devoid of, evidence. Perhaps one of these speculations, or some of them, or a confluence of them - by logic we can't begin to justify - will lead you to your own personal 'truth.' We hope you enjoy this four-hour brain drain."

Sorry, I almost missed this one. This seems like a pretty ordinary non-esoteric term. A "facet" would be a paricular characteristic of our reality. "The sun sends light through space to heat our atmosphere" is a facet of our reality. Our consensual reality I would argue, and probably, but not necessarily, objective reality.

"Men evolved from ape-like ancestors via the process of natural selection." This is another facet which is more obviously part of the consensual reality. That is because there is more existing evidence to support contrary premises than there is regarding the above sunlight "facet".

The nature of evidence and and the nature of our reality itself is not cut-and dry. Unless your a religious right-winger or an ultra-materialist scientist of course.

interestedINitall said:
Wow, now that's a dog chasing it's own sophistic tale if ever I've seen one!

I'm incredulous!

What exactly do you mean? I'm simply supporting the idea of a consensual reality because someone responded to me that "there is no consensual reality. There is only reality, supported by evidence."

BrandonD said:
That is because there is more existing evidence to support contrary premises than there is regarding the above sunlight "facet".

What "evidence", where? I have yet to see a single, solitary shred of appreciable evidence that points to anything other than evolution via natural selection. I've seen plenty of claims but claims aren't evidence.

BrandonD said:
A guy goes to school, he learns fundamental information about our world from a BOOK. This information he accepts as true, he has not experienced it first-hand but still he accepts it for no other reason than the fact that it is issuing from a source of authority. Hey if it was false then it would have been changed by now, right?

In fact, evolution is a subject I really enjoy and it's a good example. Evolutionists have the "evidence" to support their theories, and I've read them. They're solid. Those scientists (not creationists) countering evolution also have "evidence" supporting their theories and those are solid as well. No one has SEEN a man evolve from a monkey and so people pick their side of the argument based upon what the authority figures tell them, or whichever appeals to them.

This whole scenario, in all branches of knowledge, leads to a consensual reality, a model of the world that is supported by nothing other than mutual agreement and books. And it is not allowed to be questioned because important people have staked their reputation upon it.

By saying all this stuff, I'm not disregarding evidence as a useless thing to pursue. I am a seeker of evidence myself, this is only to support the idea of a consensual reality overlaying what I hope is an objective reality.

And I can do no more than hope becase after all, in the end there is not a single piece of evidence in all the world outside of our *subjective* mechanisms of perception.

Pure sophistry.

CapnG said:
What "evidence", where? I have yet to see a single, solitary shred of appreciable evidence that points to anything other than evolution via natural selection. I've seen plenty of claims but claims aren't evidence.

I'm not here to provide evolution arguments to you, it is a ridiculously huge subject and a topic completely unrelated to this forum. Continue thinking what you presently think if you prefer, or look into the subject if you're interested.

interestedINitall said:
Pure sophistry.

Well, I looked up the term "sophistry" to make sure I'm understanding what exactly you're accusing me of. My dictionary defines sophistry as "The use of fallacious arguments, esp. with the intent of deceiving."

You're certainly entitled to think that if you like, but I'm not making any fallacious arguments and I'm not trying to deceive anyone. If you'd like to back up your claims rather than just making empty statements, I'm willing to listen.

BrandonD said:
Well, I looked up the term "sophistry" to make sure I'm understanding what exactly you're accusing me of. My dictionary defines sophistry as "The use of fallacious arguments, esp. with the intent of deceiving."

You're certainly entitled to think that if you like, but I'm not making any fallacious arguments and I'm not trying to deceive anyone. If you'd like to back up your claims rather than just making empty statements, I'm willing to listen.

No, that's fine. I'm glad you got to learn a new word.

Here's a hint - many words have more than one meaning and their usages are often nuanced.

Todays C2C was good. They had Ted Philips for a bit.
It would be great if they could get him on Paracast for a full show btw.

BrandonD said:
I'm not here to provide evolution arguments to you, it is a ridiculously huge subject and a topic completely unrelated to this forum. Continue thinking what you presently think if you prefer, or look into the subject if you're interested.

Ok, well I'll follow Mr B's advice and submit a more civil answer. Evidence of this sort is not hidden or esoteric, in fact it's been touched upon here on the Paracast. In one of the episodes (anyone is welcome to cite the particular episode if they know what I'm referring to) one of the hosts mentioned the fact that there are intelligently constructed artifacts encased in rock that are literally millions of years old, and these are ignored by the scientific establishment because they do not fit into any established paradigm.

There exists not only evidence of ancient intelligently constructed objects but evidence that modern man has existed on earth in his present form for literally millions of years. One example of this would be fossilized footprints which match *exactly* the footprints of modern man, which have been found in million year-old rock.

These things are not rare, but are in fact plentiful and found around the world. They are deliberately ignored, but they present evidence for the existence of homo sapiens before he was presumably evolved by natural selection. This contrary evidence is just as strong as the evidence for natural selection, it is fossil evidence that is backed up by carbon dating.

This is one example of concrete evidence, and there are others. Physical evidence that is far less compelling (ie, a fragmented jaw bone and a tooth) has been cited by the scientific establishment as "proof" of their supported model of evolution, but this same quality of evidence is not considered adequate to prove a point that the establishment opposes.

Sorry, but they cannot have it both ways.

I honestly don't subscribe to any particular school of thought regarding evolution, because as I mentioned before, I think the opposing sides have solid arguments and evidence. I don't claim to know the truth about this subject, but I strongly support exposing lies and misrepresentation in areas where it is not widely recognized.

interestedINitall said:
No, that's fine. I'm glad you got to learn a new word.

Here's a hint - many words have more than one meaning and their usages are often nuanced.

An argument is not sophistry if it is backed up by personal experience and the experience of close friends who are in fact in the scientific and medical establishments.

BrandonD said:
There exists not only evidence of ancient intelligently constructed objects but evidence that modern man has existed on earth in his present form for literally millions of years. One example of this would be fossilized footprints which match *exactly* the footprints of modern man, which have been found in million year-old rock.

Can you cite this? I'd like to see where this information comes from.

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
Can you cite this? I'd like to see where this information comes from.

-DBTrek

Google this: Laetoli footprints, discovered by Mary Leakey. They were dated as being about 3.7 million years old. Leakey herself, who was a supporter of the natural selection model, described them as being exactly like human footprints.

However, since her model of biology did not support homo sapiens existing this long ago, she theorized that there must have been a primitive hominid of some kind existing at that time with feet exactly like ours. This is possible of course, but not supported by any physical evidence. All primitive hominid skeletons at the time have feet with ape-like qualities such as longer toes.

Supporters of the current model of evolution consider cases like these "inconclusive".

Here we have physical evidence, one piece of physical evidence among many. So if we are looking at the physical evidence alone and not anyone's baseless speculation, what does the physical evidence appear to support?

There is physical evidence that fits the established model and there is evidence that does not fit the established model. The evidence that does not fit is ignored. I don't support this kind of tunnel vision and dogmatism as real science.

I took your advice and googled it; Wow . . . that's some really interesting stuff. Thanks for the info, I had not heard of those footprints before. Fascinating!

-DBTrek

The fossil is widely excepted by "experts" as that of the species of Lucy or Australopithecus afarensis.

Laetoli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For you wiki haters.
Footprints to Fill

I'm just glad the ONE human footprint, by ONE dinosaur foot print pics weren't posted. Apparently some people want you to think a human and dinosaur fell from the sky together, left ONE perfect foot print in an area where more than one would have had to of shown up, then got taken away by aliens or a tornado etc. I forget what the prints are called. I been there done that with the creationism/evolution bit, so many details escape me these days since I rarely read about it anymore. New findings still interest me. Well, til I run into the spin put on them by either of the polarized camps that try and make it prove whatever point they are invested in etc.

A.LeClair said:
The fossil is widely excepted by "experts" as that of the species of Lucy or Australopithecus afarensis.

For you wiki haters.
Footprints to Fill

I'm just glad the ONE human footprint by dinosaur hoaxed pics weren't posted. Apparently some people want you to think a human and dinosaur fell from the sky together, left ONE foot print, then got taken away by aliens or a tornado etc.

Read both of those. The second one (sciam) doesn't claim that the print was made by Australopithecus afarensis. In fact, it points out several problems with the claim that the print was made by afarensis.

To quote, they state:
And one of the bones used to determine whether the foot was in fact arched--the so-called navicular--is from H. habilis, not A. afarensis.

The key bone used to identify the maker of the 3.7 million year old footprints comes from a species that existed 1.8 million years ago. That leaves the small problem of explaining how H. habilis travelled back in time 1.9 million years to make these footprints.

It seems we currently lack sufficient data to explain this phenomena.

-DBTrek

A.LeClair said:

For you wiki haters.
Footprints to Fill

As in everything, it depends on the "experts" you choose. I can cite experts (scientists who have no stake in creationism or ID) who insist that there are serious problems with matching these footprints with any primitive hominids that existed at that time.

The "experts" who insist most strongly that these footprints were made by autralopithecus are the "experts" who have the strongest stake in the current evolution model. People behave similarly on all sides of the arguments. Those who have the strongest "territory" to defend are willing to overlook, misinterpret, and sometimes outright lie (ie, piltdown man).

Back