• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Chris Lambright and Curtis L. Collins

Boron is used as a shield form the effects of nuclear reaction.
Thanks, all I found out so far is it seems to also be used to strengthen concrete:
The article focuses on the boron-doped concrete road paved at the 6th kilometer of Ordu-Ulubey highway. National Boron Research Institute founder M. Hilmi Güler asserts the advantages of boron-doped concrete roads because of its strength that lasts for 30-40 years. He states that boron-doped cement can also be used for the components of concrete structures including dams, exterior walls of nuclear power plants, and airfields.
Five-year Boron Asphalt Pavement Shows No Signs of Abrasion - Tags: BORON CONCRETE roads

Lee, somewhere earlier, I mentioned that the "Unexplained" articles were collected in The Age of the UFO by Peter Brookesmith.
The article was also translated into German:
The Unexplained: Blind Terror in Texas by John F. Schuessler (PDF)
with the rare full color photographs, as well as that UFO illustration you remember so well!

My apologies - I had heard the show, but admit I hadn't gotten around to reading the thread - I just slapped my comment on as I was in a rush at the time :oops:

I have since read it now, and just checked the link out.

I'm glad to find out the author of the article, all those years ago: apart from the German text, it is exactly how I remembered it (especially the picture!).

No apology needed, after all there's a lot to wade through! I'm glad you checked out the link.
The other two articles by Schuessler in the Unexplained series were:
Anguish of the UFO Victims
(mostly discussing the injuries, but also some possibly related sightings)

Five easy pieces
(where the following scenarios are discussed:
Hoax, Abduction, UFO posse projecting helicopter images, UFO-Military rescue, Secret Military Operation)
These other articles also contains some good color photos, mostly taken by Schuessler.

Curt

Can I just say that I had a look at Chris Lambright's paintings of the Cash-Landrum 'UFO' and I was stunned. The artistry is amazing. Nothing more to be said, stunning.

Could you please put a link to it on here mate - I would love to see it too, and can't seem to find it.

Lee, please check the article:
Quest for an Accurate Picture of the Cash-Landrum UFO

for an explanation on how Chris Lambright developed this picture from the witnesses' descriptions,
and also to see the other version of it, which more closely matches the "sky split open".
CashLandrum_1.jpg

On the show someone talked about doing road work at night like that was strange.
Around here most road work is done at night on the interstate

Gene passed on an email from a new listener who noted the similarity of the C-L UFO to the one seen and photographed Scotland:
"Witnesses reported seeing a large, diamond-shaped object hanging in the air next to a RAF Harrier above the A9 at Calvine, north of Pitlochry, on August 4, 1990"

The author of the email suggested he may have other information, but the address given bounced:
"550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. "
So, if you see this, please respond here, or to my Sentry email address.

Tom, I think you are right. The road story is an urban legend that got mistakenly attached to the story. FM 1485 was in bad shape, and when it got repaved in 1982, rumors sprung up and took root. As it progressed, it became an overnight repair with mysterious unmarked trucks.
Could the combined might of the Avengers and Justice League repave a stretch of country highway in a single night?

Doh! Once again, the things I seek are right before my eyes - yet I still fail to see...

(Should be my motto, really)

Thanks for the link to the picture, and thanks again, Curtis, for tolerating my ineptitude!

As for the diamond-shaped object maybe having been a man-made prototype I'm wondering why we haven't seen anything official since. The program might have been discontinued, but the description doesn't seem to be of anything that would have been streamlined enough for high velocity flying.

I guess with all I have heard in the show and the additional info Curtis provided in this thread, I can dismiss the nuclear contamination theory now. Maybe the symptoms had to do with micro waves (I don't think the heat alone would suffice), but still the health issues and the emotional stress the witnesses had to go through must have been enormous.

I was especially glad to hear that Colby is still around and apparently didn't suffer any long-term health issues. Again, thanks to Curtis for the details on his status.

If nothing else the case with its ensuing lawsuits shows that government and military are guarding their secrets at any cost.
Good show. And darn good job, Sentry.

I also want to take a second to thank our friend Sentry for what was a very enjoyable show. Listened last night and he and Chris were very informative. I thought you came across quite well Sentry. You have a great voice for radio and also a very "right down the middle" personality that intelligently conveys the info you wish to impart. Great job!

Well, there is one similar craft, but it takes us back into UFO legends, this time the Area 51 stories of a pumpkin seed-shaped supersonic spy plane:
aurocruise.jpg

Aurora: Pumpkin Seed man-made UFO
All that's missing is evidence. For all I know, the Cash-Landrum UFO may have inspired the legend of the Aurora!

I was especially glad to hear that Colby is still around and apparently didn't suffer any long-term health issues.

Thanks guys, for the compliments, but there was so much stuff I forgot or just skimmed over. You just reminded me about something I said about Colby that was unclear.

On the drive home after the encounter, Vickie and Betty agreed not to tell anyone about it. Vickie told Colby that if he told, he'd get a whippin' (archaic phrase indicating corporal punishment).

The part I forgot to tell, was that when Betty arrived home, her friend Wilma was there with two teenaged kids (her son and niece, I think), and also Betty's son Toby Howard (apparently from a previous marriage). Betty was already feeling ill, and told them about the events. Her son, Toby was the first one to examine her skin, which at that time displayed raised bumps or "knots". So, Betty blew the secrecy deal immediately, Vickie kept the secret longer, telling her husband only when Betty had to be taken to the hospital a few days later.

Getting back to Colby... While visiting Betty after her second trip to Parkway Hospital, Vickie and Colby were talking to Betty's cardiologist, Dr. Shenoy. The doctor was stumped with the combination of symptoms, saying something like, "it would help if we knew what caused it", at which point Colby blurted out the secret about the UFO. (During the show, I had too many "he"s and I made it sound like the doctor made the UFO conclusion.)

After that, it is not exactly clear how the story was spread, but Dr. Shenoy told Dr. Howard Sussman who was an active member of the UFO community, belonging to APRO and MUFON. The dam really broke after Vickie reported it to the National UFO Reporting Center.

I find the secrecy a very interesting element of the case, as it caused a delay of many weeks in the investigation. Another curious thing, Toby Howard seems to vanish from the record after Dec. 29, 1980, and his presence was not mentioned in the original reports. He seems to have first been mentioned publicly by Betty in a 90s TV program, and then very briefly in Schuessler's book in 1998.

A really enjoyable show. Good work on investigating this case, Sentry --glad I could be of assistance with my faint memories about the 'That's Incredible!' TV show :)

And Chris' rendering... DAYUM!

Compare it with the illustration published with the Time-Line Mysteries of the Unknown: The UFO Phenomenon volume:

cash_landrum.jpg

One final thing: Greg Bishop has mentioned on his radio show how Rick Doty mentioned to him that the Cash-Landrum UFO was a nuclear-powered test aircraft, which employed cameras instead of regular windows due to the heavy shielding needed to protect the pilots, and that during the event the cameras turned off which rendered the pilots completely blind about their where-abouts.

As everything disclosed by Doty, take it with a sack of salt ;)

Tom, I think you are right. The road story is an urban legend that got mistakenly attached to the story. FM 1485 was in bad shape, and when it got repaved in 1982, rumors sprung up and took root. As it progressed, it became an overnight repair with mysterious unmarked trucks.
Could the combined might of the Avengers and Justice League repave a stretch of country highway in a single night?
In my opinion, there are enough varied sources to say that the road work is part of the story.

flipper, I've located a 60-year old man that lived two miles near the sighting, and has posted about the road stories, and even a 2nd mysterious helicopter event a few years later. Even if he doesn't have first-hand knowledge, he may be able to reach someone who does. We need to find someone who lived along that road and had their daily routine affected by this resurfacing along that road.

Back