• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Carey and Schmitt Show

(Having finally gotten around to registering, catching up a bit.)

Not to start out with any sort of a bash, really, but yeah, my eyebrows went up a bit when I saw that Schmitt was going to be on. "Wait a minute, isn't this guy a fraud?"

I guess there's some value in having him on at least once, in some sense, because there are members of the Paracast community who weren't familiar with his history, but I'm basically in agreement with Jeff.

Like when you see in a restaurant "no shirt, no service". To my thinking: "no credibility, no platform".

David and Gene always strike me as both fair and intelligent, so I put some trust in them on picking their guests, but I'm a bit curious to know if they discussed Schmitt's history/reputation much before booking him.

Criticism aside, I love the show and listen (I hate this word) religiously. :)

--Shawn

sk4p said:
(Having finally gotten around to registering, catching up a bit.)

Not to start out with any sort of a bash, really, but yeah, my eyebrows went up a bit when I saw that Schmitt was going to be on. "Wait a minute, isn't this guy a fraud?"

I guess there's some value in having him on at least once, in some sense, because there are members of the Paracast community who weren't familiar with his history, but I'm basically in agreement with Jeff.

Like when you see in a restaurant "no shirt, no service". To my thinking: "no credibility, no platform".

David and Gene always strike me as both fair and intelligent, so I put some trust in them on picking their guests, but I'm a bit curious to know if they discussed Schmitt's history/reputation much before booking him.

Criticism aside, I love the show and listen (I hate this word) religiously. :)

--Shawn

Gosh if they screened out every nutjob in the paranormal world they wouldn't have many guests, lol. I personally enjoy these shows, because they force some of these guys out of their safe little corners. They've been going on unfettered for years, blabbing out whatever enters their little minds, it's nice to see them have to respond with an uhh, and a pause and finally what their defense is going to be.

Also, I think that there are nuggets of truth floating around with many of these guys. Alot of them take those nuggets of truth and turn them into mountains of untruths, but when pressed sometimes it produces lively and productive discourse. Just my two cents.

ward said:
am i the only one that understood this arcane reference to which i respond

"Look!!" ( tries to bonk bongo on the head with a hammer )

Ahem...

"Mongo only pawn in game of life."

And if that doesn't do it for you...

"Where the white women at?"

Gene,
I'm sure it was just an accident, but I swear if you play back this episode, right after the first "break/ad" you introduced the guests then the book as "witless to Roswell".

Was that a Fruedian slip? Or a Faux Pas? Or a Fruedian Pas? Just curious.

Anyhow, I actually felt the guests were intelligent and said the things "I" wanted to hear as far as how they research and so forth. But now after reading the quote that Jeff R. found about Schmitt back in '98, claiming all those questionable things (having his masters degree when he didn't, being in the wit'less' relocation program, etc.) it does, as David B. would say 'cast dispersions' on his character.

By the way, your show is the best of any I've found on the subject of phenomena and paranormal. I started downloading podcasts 4 months ago, and I still haven't caught up with the backlog and new shows you have available. Keep up the excellent work.

-Dag

daguerro said:
Gene,
I'm sure it was just an accident, but I swear if you play back this episode, right after the first "break/ad" you introduced the guests then the book as "witless to Roswell".

Was that a Fruedian slip? Or a Faux Pas? Or a Fruedian Pas? Just curious.

Anyhow, I actually felt the guests were intelligent and said the things "I" wanted to hear as far as how they research and so forth. But now after reading the quote that Jeff R. found about Schmitt back in '98, claiming all those questionable things (having his masters degree when he didn't, being in the wit'less' relocation program, etc.) it does, as David B. would say 'cast dispersions' on his character.

By the way, your show is the best of any I've found on the subject of phenomena and paranormal. I started downloading podcasts 4 months ago, and I still haven't caught up with the backlog and new shows you have available. Keep up the excellent work.

-Dag

My mouth was in my tooth or something, I suppose. Or maybe not :)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"...

So the stories have it that Richard Pryor was hired by Mel Brooks to write much of the dialog for the Cleavon Little character, but ended up getting totally wrapped up in Mongo. He apparently wrote that great line...

For my money, Blazing Saddles remains perhaps the funniest movie ever made. Besides anything cooked up by David Sereda, of course...:p

Shawn: I understand your concerns, Gene & I did indeed talk about this before we invited them on, but it only makes sense to speak with people we don't agree with or who might be somewhat questionable - if we do a show consisting of ONLY those we think are 100%, we're gonna have a problem filling airtime. I totally understand the problem a show like Hoax to Hoax faces, they've got to fill 7 nights a week, meaning that they speak to people like Sean Dickey Morton or Sylvia Brownie. I'm thinking perhaps it's time to invite Sylvia Brownie on to the Paracast, and ask her about her crack smoking habit. I mean, that voice...

Back