• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Carey and Schmitt Show

Kim323

Paranormal Maven
I really enjoyed last night's show with Carey and Schmitt. I liked the
give and take, back and forth intellectual sparring, and bottom line,
all this UFO stuff, Roswell, Stanton Friedman, Betty and Barney Hill,
and on and on not only on this fabulous podcast but on others I listen
to, take me into a realm that to whatever degree is the truth is at the
very least a glimpse into the human psyche (excuse that convoluted sentence!). To echo another post, I configure the paracast into every Sunday evening with anticipation. I would really like to see (hear) Bernard Haisch interviewed, and I think David and Gene would do a good job. Another guest I'd recommend is Peter Sturrock. He can be googled and there are links to some interesting articles by him regarding UFOs. He's a professor of, I believe, astrophysics at Stanford. I wish there could be more of whom I would call mainstream scientists or researchers, profs of the sciences at various universities who are gnawing at the edges of some of this paranormal stuff, and who explore the intersection of raw science and UFO (especially) phenomena. I don't mean to discount or diminish the last show. I reiterate how much I enjoyed it and Carey and Schmitt do their own type of research. Keep up the great work, Gene and David, and look forward to the next show, too! Kim

I am going to sound negative, but I make no apology - what is the point of another book about Roswell? What is the point of all this new research? Are there not enough UFO books out there? Do we really need another one? Who's gonna read it? People who *already believe* that Roswell happened, that's who.

I hope the comment about the Roswell 'amusement park' was a joke - it will only fuel the notion that the whole event is a myth and put it firmly in the same ball-park as stories about the Loch Ness monster and the Yeti.

I really didn't understand the attitude towards sharing info with other researchers - reading between the lines, it sounded to me like "we wanna keep the good stuff for our new book - why should we share it?" - or in other words, "our next publishing deal is far more important to us than moving the UFO subject forward".

I'd like some real answers to the 'UFO' question - I don't think I'm gonna find them in yet another book of anecdotes.

I think the whole 'UFO' subject has been flogged to death - it's no further forward than it was 50 years ago. I can't see how that will change.

Rick,

That amusement park is 'DEFINATELY' going to be built.

Sometimes it seem's asthough UFOlogy is more of a culture than a mad search for evidence & truth's.

New perspectives on the matter (UFO's/abduction enigma) are extremely healthy, even if we are as you say, no closer than we were 50 years ago.

Atleast, we should never assume that the way to truth is because something sit's right with your's or my own beliefs, nor should we label at all; we're only closing the door on new perspective & knowledge, when we've barely got a firm hold on what it is we're studying.

& that's why I leave my head open all the time; I don't think we'll EVER be 100% certain as to what is real or not real....Especially when some human beings claim to have 'all the answers'.

Goody.

I agree that this show was special: the guests were solid, and I appreciate their preparation and clarity. They didn't just affirm that everything ever claimed about Roswell was true, and were appropriately skeptical about Phil Corso.

They even brought out the best and most solid in our hosts as well. Let us just hope next week doesn't open with a slam.

Goody said:
...that's why I leave my head open all the time; I don't think we'll EVER be 100% certain as to what is real or not real....

Well, I'm afraid that if you are not certain what is real and what is not then you are in danger of developing some sort of mental disorder - and I say that in all seriousness.

My mind is also open to all possibilities - but I'm beginning to filter out 95% of all UFO claims. These researchers think they're helping 'the cause' with their books, but I don't think they are. What good is a 'death bed' confession? The time to speak out about the events of Roswell was in 1947 while the case was still 'hot'. Waiting 60 years and then saying "oh, by the way, we retrieved a crash saucer 60 years ago", doesn't help anyone (except those selling the books).

I think the Roswell case should be closed. It was a missed opportunity.

If the UFO subject is to be progressed then the 'community' should look to present day events - you have the best chance of uncovering some real truths while the trail is still relatively warm.

I think everyone is missing the biggest point with regard to the show: Schmitt was caught lying repeatedly about his background and Kevin Randle then disassociated himself from this man. This was a UFO scandal many years ago. Schmitt was off the scene for many years as far as I can tell and is only now resurfacing in high public view.

Why the f*** would *anyone* put any creedance to *anything* this man says? This UFO thing I'm getting increasingly disgusted with for this simple reason, the short term memory of the field. It's ridiculous.

What's Randle say?
"Yes, and Schmitt told me many things too, such as he didn't work
at the post office, he had a master's degree, he was in the
witness protection program, he was going to be a regular on the
Morton Downey, Jr. radio talk show, that Burl Ives was very
interested in his work, that he was a medical illustrator, that
he was a DEA agent, that he was a law enforcement officer."
-Kevin Randle 1998

Lets look at that date: 1998
Goddamn people, the man isnt to be trusted with giving any info he may "research" when he acts like this.

There are no second chances in Ufology. 1 strike, and youre out. And people need to recognize this and adhere to it. Otherwise youre just chasing your own tail.

Randle further said in the post from 98:
"I fail to understand how we can look at what he says and believe
a word of it. I fail to understand why anyone would want to hear
what he has to say, given his history. You can bet that the
scientific community, and the reporters are well aware of his
past. They see something like this and they apply it to all of
us."

Exactly.

I know nothing of the other man who was on the show with him...and ya know what, I dont care to. If he's associated with Schmitt thats enough for me.

I plead with this community to wake the hell up and remember these goofballs, not just Schmitt but all the idiots that pull this kind of nonsense.

Lock the door. Dont let em back in. Let em knock til their knuckles bleed, and then still dont let em in. Even if they say "Candygram." ;)

Oh good, I thought the show wasn't going to deal with that scandal, so I didn't listen. I'm not a fan of Schmitt. Now I'll listen if this was dealt with:)

Taken from Watchdog.
http://www.ufowatchdog.com/hall3.html

"DONALD SCHMITT
Turned UFOlogy and Roswell into a laughing stock as his ego wrote checks his credibility couldn't cash. Lied about his education, employment and Roswell research to reporters. Claimed to be a medical illustrator and to have a masters degree - worked for the Postal Service and didn't have a degree at the time [How hard was that to say?]. When caught in a lie he lied some more. Claimed his former partner Kevin Randle is a government agent. The inability to tell the truth seems to be the norm in UFOlogy."

Rick Deckard said:
I think the Roswell case should be closed. It was a missed opportunity.

Your post echoes my sentiments almost exactly. I don't think it was anyone's fault in particular back in '47...well unless someone really covered something up...but it's too late now. More interviews of "witnesses" won't really move anything forward.

And Jeff, I didn't know anything about this controversy around Schmitt. How did we get another crackpot on the Paracast? Maybe the need to fill the slots with guests is just too great, but if what you say is true then how is the Paracast any different from C2C in choice of guests? Should the show change to once a month?

Don't get me wrong. I love the Paracast, I need the Paracast, I want to dress it up in leather and marry it...I just hope it can balance credibility with demands to fill slots with guests.

Although I am not an expert in determining who all the players are in this musical known as UFOLOGY (the movie), I seem to remember there being a bit of a snit in regards to Mr. Schmitt. It is a bit clearer that we are dealing with a verifiable fraud. Now, with that said, this throws the validity of the Walter Haught late life confession into a perfectly formed black hole of doubt.

In regards to the UFO field and those known as "investigators" I can only say this: I AM F'ING SICK OF ALL OF YOU! I have never seen such a group of "my UFO experience is better than your UFO experience" or "but the UFO did crash in the McDonalds drive thru and the Air Force got the craft before they could order their Happy Meals" crybabies in my life. Although I am somewhat involved (on the periphery mind you) with a legendary rock band and they don't act all that much different so I guess it must be in the ego genes.

This points out the fact that as long as said "investigators" are going to take their extraterrestrial toys and go home at the first hint of suggestion that they start working together and start pointing out and getting rid of the rift raft that seems to infest this field, no one out side of us idiots who attempt to make sense out of this subject is ever going to take it seriously. I have heard more than once from these people that "if the New York Times" or "if the main stream media" would really dig in and investigate then we would have an answer pronto. What? The only thing the main stream media is going to do is make fun of you people (I'm talking about the UFO pros not you folks). An I really can't blame them. This field is a mess and THAT"S what needs to be investigated.

Now, I do believe that there is something going on here. And I believe that it does merit study. There are, most likely, a small number of cases that just cannot be explained with out considering the UFO explanation. Whether or not the Ufos are trans-dimensional, co-existing on the Earth, or from outer space. Either of those options would have a profound impact on the way this species known as humans would operate. And I believe that is a good thing. It would not change my religious beliefs or the fact that I prefer real Hammond organs over the synth versions but it might make the human race finally grow up a little.

Ok, enough of my rant. I am going back to recording my new album and forget about this UFO stuff for the rest of the week. See you guys Sunday night right back here....

Paranormal Packrat said:
If the document is faked, then we should be hearing about a lawsuit soon, from Walter's family.

You mean Haut's "deathbed" confession? Truthfully I dont see the big deal about that (if thats what ya mean), alot of people have made a really big deal about it.

He was one of two who owned the UFO Museum. Ya know, the one that is now being moved to a multi-million dollar facility. The one his daughter now owns. The way I look at it if the confession doc is legit (and I dont mean truthful) then he was setting up the family for life when he died. Haut knew full well the draw of the story and that he was a figure in the Roswell story.

These deathbed confessions dont mean any more then anonymous accounts do to me. The witness cannot be questioned further....theyre dead. Game over. No accountibility.

But, the term deathbed confession sounds really dramatic doesnt it?

And there's the selling point. Drama.

Yea, Schmitt has lied quite a bit, and then, to top it off, he gets defensive very quickly when questioned. Rather than grandstand like Stephen Greer, he tends to just talk louder and more forcefully. I would take Stantons word over his anyday, even though Friedman can be a little full of himself, he still tends to deal in the facts. He's just old, proud and ornery:)

As far as the Roswell amusement park, I have no cares on that, any publicity raises awareness. And that crappy little town needs something to provide a jolt. I have nothing against them trying to use the ufo story as a fuel for economic prosperity(as if an amusement park in the middle of a desert could ever work). Besides the Roswell case is pretty well dead in the water at this point without any solid evidence being found to rejuvenate the case. Btw, the pricetag on the new museum is $25 million dollars from what I saw when I was there.

jritzmann said:
You mean Haut's "deathbed" confession? Truthfully I dont see the big deal about that (if thats what ya mean), alot of people have made a really big deal about it.

He was one of two who owned the UFO Museum. Ya know, the one that is now being moved to a multi-million dollar facility. The one his daughter now owns. The way I look at it if the confession doc is legit (and I dont mean truthful) then he was setting up the family for life when he died. Haut knew full well the draw of the story and that he was a figure in the Roswell story.

These deathbed confessions dont mean any more then anonymous accounts do to me. The witness cannot be questioned further....theyre dead. Game over. No accountibility.

But, the term deathbed confession sounds really dramatic doesnt it?

And there's the selling point. Drama.

Yeah, I said before I don't see the big deal about it either. I don't see how this "proves" anything like the headline of that thread indicated. I was referring to the idea that the two researchers faked the document.

I thought the hosts did a good job on this show . . . probably the best performance I've heard from them.

Did I catch one of the guests saying something like "Once he (Haut) agreed with what was written he signed it"? That would imply that Haut didn't write the statement himself, which raises the question, who did?

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
I thought the hosts did a good job on this show . . . probably the best performance I've heard from them.

Did I catch one of the guests saying something like "Once he (Haut) agreed with what was written he signed it"? That would imply that Haut didn't write the statement himself, which raises the question, who did?

-DBTrek

In the end, so long as he approved the statement as his own, it may not matter all that much if the words were put on paper by others. But it's definitely a legitimate question.

DBTrek said:

-DBTrek

I'd have to agree, I'm not a fan of either of the researchers, Scmitt is a habitual liar and Tom Carey is a human form of a sleeping pill. But the debate in this show was actual quite lively, I enjoyed it quite a bit, probably one of my favorite shows as well. Quite a suprise I must admit, and somehow the guys seemed to make both of these men seem somewhat interesting, just to see how they would answer some of the questions.

Hello, everyone. I started this thread, and am grateful for the added
info concerning the two guests. I am learning at an accelerated pace
in this new world of Ufology, but still have way too much to learn. Perhaps
some of the information about Carey and Schmitt as brought up by Jeff could
be addressed in tomorrow's show, the roundtable one. As always, I'm looking
forward to The Paracast! Kim

Back