• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

August 21, 2011 — Leslie Kean

Free episodes:

Sean Elifritz

Administrator
As always Leslie Kean made for a good show as her approach is more restrained than quite a few others interested in the subject. But I can't say I was impressed by her answers to a few of my questions.

Jim Pennistion: Was left a little puzzled when she said she wouldn't include Penniston's latest claims if/when discussing the case in the future. Is it appropriate to dole out information you like and omit information you don't? Penniston's claims, all of them, are relevant because they go to the heart of his credibility or lack thereof. I got the impression (She never actually said as much though) that she doesn't really believe the binary code business but then went on to talk about his supposedly touching a landed craft as though her conviction about that hadn't been altered at all. Hello! If any of his testimony is questionable then it all needs to be tossed out. I'm of the impression that probably the only thing Jim Penniston saw that night was a light in the sky. Everything he has added to the story since then-the landed craft, the notebook nobody is permitted to examine but he talks about endlessly, the abduction, ALL OF IT-are likely fabrications.

Phoenix lights: First of all, the quick edit I did on that clip wasn't the best (I've thought about redoing it with some embedded text). I probably should have left in the part where he said the lights were totally silent. Kean made much of witnesses saying the object was silent but my impression is...big deal. Sure, jets are loud but are heard only when they fly low. When they're high you don't hear anything. Planes fly over my house all hours of the day and night and I don't hear a peep.

And it makes little sense to me to favor witness descriptions when you have a video that you can look at yourself. She acknowledged that the clip did look like jets in formation but then continued to bolster the witness descriptions of a solid V. Are we to believe that both were flying around Phoenix, that there was a V-formation of military jets and an extraterrestrial spacecraft sharing the same patch of sky at the same time? Or is it more reasonable to conclude that there was just one V consisting of jets flying in formation and quite a few people let their imaginations run wild?

We've seen the latter over and over again. Look at the thousands of UFO reports that have turned out to be Venus. Just a dot in the sky but there is no end to the reams of reports that have been collected over the decades where the witnesses grossly exaggerated what they were looking at.

I am reminded of a segment I saw in an old UFO documentary (Wish I had clips to link to for these examples but I failed to find anything when doing a quick search on youtube) where a researcher donned a UFO hat (Was a saucer-shaped thing with blinking lights on it) and then would walk around the periphery of woods lining roads. Doing it generated UFO reports and he was shocked by the way so many witnesses would exaggerate what they'd seen. They'd talk about motherships the size of football fields, of impossible speeds and maneuvers, the absurdities ran the gambit. But all it had been was a guy walking around with a lit-up hat on his head.

There was another more-recent documentary where researchers led a tour of people through woods and had staged a scene where they had some yellow police tape and a guard standing near it. They made sure to walk the people by it. Then later they asked the people what they had seen there and the witnesses exaggerated to no end and seemed to genuinely believe their memories despite them being dramatically embellished.

The video is something tangible. The stories people tell are just that...stories. For a while those stories were all we had (That clip has been around forever, however. But for whatever reason nobody made anything of it) and I was willing to give them the benefit of a doubt. But this video allows me to look at the Phoenix triangle myself, to not have to rely on witness interpretations, and it's clearly a V-formation of prosaic aircraft.

As always Leslie Kean made for a good show as her approach is more restrained than quite a few others interested in the subject. But I can't say I was impressed by her answers to a few of my questions.

Jim Pennistion: Was left a little puzzled when she said she wouldn't include Penniston's latest claims if/when discussing the case in the future. Is it appropriate to dole out information you like and omit information you don't? Penniston's claims, all of them, are relevant because they go to the heart of his credibility or lack thereof. I got the impression (She never actually said as much though) that she doesn't really believe the binary code business but then went on to talk about his supposedly touching a landed craft as though her conviction about that hadn't been altered at all. Hello! If any of his testimony is questionable then it all needs to be tossed out. I'm of the impression that probably the only thing Jim Penniston saw that night was a light in the sky. Everything he has added to the story since then-the landed craft, the notebook nobody is permitted to examine but he talks about endlessly, the abduction, ALL OF IT-are likely fabrications.

Phoenix lights: First of all, the quick edit I did on that clip wasn't the best (I've thought about redoing it with some embedded text). I probably should have left in the part where he said the lights were totally silent. Kean made much of witnesses saying the object was silent but my impression is...big deal. Sure, jets are loud but are heard only when they fly low. When they're high you don't hear anything. Planes fly over my house all hours of the day and night and I don't hear a peep.

And it makes little sense to me to favor witness descriptions when you have a video that you can look at yourself. She acknowledged that the clip did look like jets in formation but then continued to bolster the witness descriptions of a solid V. Are we to believe that both were flying around Phoenix, that there was a V-formation of military jets and an extraterrestrial spacecraft sharing the same patch of sky at the same time? Or is it more reasonable to conclude that there was just one V consisting of jets flying in formation and quite a few people let their imaginations run wild?

We've seen the latter over and over again. Look at the thousands of UFO reports that have turned out to be Venus. Just a dot in the sky but there is no end to the reams of reports that have been collected over the decades where the witnesses grossly exaggerated what they were looking at.

I am reminded of a segment I saw in an old UFO documentary (Wish I had clips to link to for these examples but I failed to find anything when doing a quick search on youtube) where a researcher donned a UFO hat (Was a saucer-shaped thing with blinking lights on it) and then would walk around the periphery of woods lining roads. Doing it generated UFO reports and he was shocked by the way so many witnesses would exaggerate what they'd seen. They'd talk about motherships the size of football fields, of impossible speeds and maneuvers, the absurdities ran the gambit. But all it had been was a guy walking around with a lit-up hat on his head.

There was another more-recent documentary where researchers led a tour of people through woods and had staged a scene where they had some yellow police tape and a guard standing near it. They made sure to walk the people by it. Then later they asked the people what they had seen there and the witnesses exaggerated to no end and seemed to genuinely believe their memories despite them being dramatically embellished.

The video is something tangible. The stories people tell are just that...stories. For a while those stories were all we had (That clip has been around forever, however. But for whatever reason nobody made anything of it) and I was willing to give them the benefit of a doubt. But this video allows me to look at the Phoenix triangle myself, to not have to rely on witness interpretations, and it's clearly a V-formation of prosaic aircraft.

Yeah i suppose it must be annoying for you when others don't agree with your opinion.

Yeah i suppose it must be annoying for you when others don't agree with your opinion.

I can choose to "believe" stories because I want to believe them while in the process tossing aside the only piece of actual evidence that there is. Or I can use my own eyes to discern what the object is. Not a difficult choice to make.

But anyway, she agreed that the video was likely of military jets. I think the disagreement is that she seems to subscribe to the idea that there were various giant triangles flying around in the area that night, some prosaic and some not (She didn't actually say that but based on what she did say what other conclusion am I left with?). If that's a position she feels comfortable with then...umm...OK.

I enjoyed the show again. What I like about Leslie Kean is that she converts skeptics within science and even one journalist convert that I read of as well. In Gene and Chris' interview she demonstrated common sense concerning how to approach Senators, Congressman and other likely influential and relevant figures who do not care about Ufology. Her own private view seems to be that ETH is the best explantion for the phenomenon reached by a process of falsification. However if that is the case then why the gentle approach? I answer my own question by saying that ETH doesnt appear sensible to skeptics at all. Falsification would far more likely arrive at a theory of top-secret advanced military craft constructed not on a distant planet by ETs with an obsessive interest in earth... but rather constructed by human beings themselves. However we shouldnt slam the door in the face of any theory. Ufology should be an open-field given that it deals with the unknown.

I can choose to "believe" stories because I want to believe them while in the process tossing aside the only piece of actual evidence that there is. Or I can use my own eyes to discern what the object is. Not a difficult choice to make.

But anyway, she agreed that the video was likely of military jets. I think the disagreement is that she seems to subscribe to the idea that there were various giant triangles flying around in the area that night, some prosaic and some not (She didn't actually say that but based on what she did say what other conclusion am I left with?). If that's a position she feels comfortable with then...umm...OK.

Or you can choose to ignore the many witnesses because it doesn't suit your debunker's argument and in both of theses cases you have done so. And you also use the debunker's method of trying to discredit all eyewitness testimony by saying that they all embellish their recounts. Disingenuous as it is dishonest.

Or you can choose to ignore the many witnesses because it doesn't suit your debunker's argument and in both of theses cases you have done so. And you also use the debunker's method of trying to discredit all eyewitness testimony by saying that they all embellish their recounts. Disingenuous as it is dishonest.

Ok, so you choose to believe the witness descriptions. Then what's your take on the video? Do you think it's of an extraterrestrial spacecraft? Do you think it's a hoax? Or do you think it's military aircraft flying in a V-formation? If the latter is the case and if you're also demanding that the witness accounts be taken at face value then am I to believe that there were giant triangles of various types all over Phoenix that night and this guy filmed the wrong one?

Ok, so you choose to believe the witness descriptions. Then what's your take on the video? Do you think it's of an extraterrestrial spacecraft? Do you think it's a hoax? Or do you think it's military aircraft flying in a V-formation? If the latter is the case and if you're also demanding that the witness accounts be taken at face value then am I to believe that there were giant triangles of various types all over Phoenix that night and this guy filmed the wrong one?
The video could be a formation of high altitude jets, military flares or a giant UFO. I simply don't know what it is. Although the video and it's author's attempt at a definitive explanation fails to convince me that it is military jets, sorry. If you or anyone else wish to believe that it is military jets, no worries. As they can in regards to it being flares or a giant UFO. You are entitled to your opinion and welcome to it. To claim it is definitive of the entire event is wishful thinking. Just as it is wishful thinking to believe that it definitely is a UFO or anything else. Personally i think it is a mistake to rely on video evidence of anything regarding UFOs (and that goes for proof against UFOs) especially in this day and age. When people start claiming definitive proof either way using marginal video evidence, i smell bullshit.
As for eyewitness accounts, i am not demanding anything. Don't put words in my mouth. I simply counter that your reasoning that eyewitness accounts, of anything, are not to be taken seriously are highly disingenuous and curiously ill informed. Luckily enough most legal systems would happily disagree with you.
Who knows what this guy filmed. Do you know for sure? Maybe you think you do. As i said you can believe what ever you want. As can the rest of us. I believe something extraordinary was witnessed that night. I do not believe that all of the witnesses are wrong. Some may be, but not all. Plus the fact the event was seen over a very large area not just in the location of your video.

Great show guys, and Leslie was an excellent guest. Her approach to the topic as a journalist is just what is needed to get this topic treated more seriously by the mainstream media. Hopefully the extra exposure from the History Channel show will prompt some further interest and information. It'd be great to have her back to report on new developments.

I was pleased to hear her address her concerns with Annie Jacobsen using the testimony of a single anonymous witness in the Area 51 book. I'm not a journalist and am not familiar with the standards of using anonymous testimony in "straight" reporting, but I think the standards for using them in the paranormal area should be much tougher. That goes triple for primary sources.

Chris, thanks for translating my questions into coherent form. Also, I'm interested in hearing more details about your sighting of the plane that was lit up like a Christmas tree. Have you posted about it or covered it in a book?

The video could be a formation of high altitude jets, military flares or a giant UFO. I simply don't know what it is. Although the video and it's author's attempt at a definitive explanation fails to convince me that it is military jets, sorry. If you or anyone else wish to believe that it is military jets, no worries. As they can in regards to it being flares or a giant UFO. You are entitled to your opinion and welcome to it. To claim it is definitive of the entire event is wishful thinking. Just as it is wishful thinking to believe that it definitely is a UFO or anything else. Personally i think it is a mistake to rely on video evidence of anything regarding UFOs (and that goes for proof against UFOs) especially in this day and age. When people start claiming definitive proof either way using marginal video evidence, i smell bullshit.
As for eyewitness accounts, i am not demanding anything. Don't put words in my mouth. I simply counter that your reasoning that eyewitness accounts, of anything, are not to be taken seriously are highly disingenuous and curiously ill informed. Luckily enough most legal systems would happily disagree with you.
Who knows what this guy filmed. Do you know for sure? Maybe you think you do. As i said you can believe what ever you want. As can the rest of us. I believe something extraordinary was witnessed that night. I do not believe that all of the witnesses are wrong. Some may be, but not all. Plus the fact the event was seen over a very large area not just in the location of your video.

Flares? Lol, the 10 PM videos and sightings are almost certainly of flares but this particular video clearly is not; not unless they've got rocket engines attached to them.

As far as putting words into your mouth goes I said if, in case you hadn't noticed.

When it comes to "the event was seen over a very large area" that's kind of the reason for building aircraft in the first place. Given enough fuel a jet can fly from Japan to Toronto so I fail to see your point.

And I never said all of the witnesses were wrong. There were some that have been claiming that it was jets flying in formation from the start. But those accounts are not the sort that put asses into seats so they have largely been ignored, as has been the case with this video.

And still you failed to answer the question I was asking, rather you kind of danced around it. We must settle on one thing or another. Either the video is bullshit or the witness descriptions are. To accept both is to litter the Phoenix skies of that night with an absurd number of triangles. And besides, I am not aware of witness testimony detailing multiple triangles in the sky that night. There are no "There was one triangle that was really mysterious, probably extraterrestrial. Then there was this other one that I think was jets flying in formation" accounts circulating around that I have heard of. Nope, the witness testimony alludes to a single triangle. And that one triangle cannot be all things simultaneously.

Loved the show ! She's full of common sense :)

Shifting the formula (toning down) from 'Flying saucer' to 'UFO' to 'UAP' is a good idea to get attention and eventually free up public funds to once again investigate the subject... unfortunately, this won't happen any time soon.

UAP's (the flying saucer type) are operating on a technological scale that we can only marvel at... and sometimes be victimized. Repairing downed nukes and denying the event was cost effective. Once again cash is king.

IMHO, The subject is at a dead end unless the operators of these UAP's decide that building a communication bridge with our specie would be beneficial.

There is no need for a communication bridge until we occupy an area of space large enough to interfere with a competing civilization... we ain't there yet ;)

It was a great show. I think Steinberg and O'Brien were getting a little frustrated with the questions (I'm only halfway through it) because Leslie doesn't commit to opinionated answers. I can see why, and why that would cause frustration. Leslie's so in "journalism" mode that she doesn't say anything she can't back up, and she may not be able to back out of that mode. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Take Stanton Friedman who's stamped his approval on the ETH. Even if Stanton said, "I think this is the most likely scenario for sourcing of this phenomenon" (non-committal) it still puts him in a position to have to defend himself against people and situations that go against reason that UFO's are off-world sourced. I think this is part of what Leslie is doing. You don't have to continuously defend yourself when you admit that you simply don't know what UAP are.

But Steinberg and o'Brien are used to people giving their opinions on the show, and admittedly, we listeners are used to hearing them, and we usually enjoy them as well! Never-the-less I'm enjoying the episode, and I'm also enjoying the comments about the episode as well. Congratulatory, "atta boy" comments punctuated by the bickering and arguing between Wickerman and PairofCats is cracking me up! It's like a graduation ceremony where people are getting diplomas and awards when a young couple is having an argument in the background; everybody knows it's happening and we're embarrassed by it, but we're still going forward with the comments. LOL.

attitude and feedback

I listened to last night's show with Leslie K. I understand that you guys want to have your show considered professional and the "gold standard". Take some advice for a fan, please. When you read feedback from Itunes or where ever then take it into consideration and move with it. DON'T bring it to the show and be sarcastic and belittle the feedback. No one wants to listen to it. Feed back is for you 2 to review and discuss with each other and decide if you should take the advice or ignore it. Take feedback with an open mind it will help you grow. What you 2 did was childish and below the both of you. Another thing, if you listen to the show you 2 interrupted and over talked her constantly. So rude. As far as when Leslie stated that scientist needed money and develop cameras that can photograph the ufos Chris interrupted and went on about the San Louis Valley camera set up.......have you gotten back any photos that are enlightening? Time and time again we hear about equipment failure or photos that don't come out or can be doctored. I believe that she was trying to say, before you over talked and interrupted her, she bringing up this point and that scientists need to develop equipment that will record anomalies. Yes there has to be money funded....do you think scientist are going to work for free and cheaply? Anyway, take my 2 cents and either take it to heart......if not I guess I'll hear a bunch of sarcastic remarks on the next show for you to turn off more listeners.

As far as putting words into your mouth goes I said if, in case you hadn't noticed.
Really? If i was "demanding". Well i wasn't "demanding" anything. Merely suggesting that all of the witnesses could not be wrong. Since you had thrown in some study to prove that eyewitness testimony was unreliable (a typical debunker's tactic).
The lights were seen in a space of about 300 miles, from Nevada line, through Phoenix, to the edge of Tuscon. So unless the USAF has released a flight plan that covers all these areas within the time frames given by the witnesses my point still stands whether you believe it or not. And that's the point. Just because you believe the case is thoroughly debunked doesn't mean that it is for everybody else. Let it go. I disagree with you. So do others. So what?
As for the video WE don't have to settle on anything. The video shows a UFO, an UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECT. I do not believe that the video shows jets in formation, sorry. Your video may have been ignored because it just doesn't sway enough people with it's explanation as with me. One video does not a debunking make.
And I never said all of the witnesses were wrong.There were some that have been claiming that it was jets flying in formation from the start.
So you have ignored the ones who say it was a mile long craft and focused on the ones that say it was jets in formation. And if i'm honest it could well be jets in formation. But since i wasn't there i can only go with witness testimony and the video. I don't trust video for a swathe of reasons. Let alone trust someone's analysis of one.I will say again the video could be anything including jets, flares, an Alien spacecraft or a flying illuminated toilet seat. In other words i don't know what it is. Even if it is your pet jet theory explained, it doesn't diminish the descriptions of others who describe seeing far more detailed craft flying at low altitudes.
And besides, I am not aware of witness testimony detailing multiple triangles in the sky that night.
And neither have I. But it sounds like you need to do more research on the witnesses and their descriptions.
In the end, as i said before, you can believe what you want. If you like the jet theory and think that the video is the definitive proof in solving the Phoenix lights case, then good luck to you and godspeed. I don't have a problem with any of that.
I don't agree with you. So please stop trying to convince me i am wrong.:)

The show with Ms Kean was good solid stuff. Ms Kean refuses to speculate and never exceeds her reach, which makes for exchanges that are informative but a little dry at times. Maybe emphasizing the character and personalities of her sources might make things a bit more colorful. But at the end of the day, woo-woo and freedom from cognitive dissonance don't completely mix. You can't have it both ways at once, so I think she did a most excellent job.

I thought her observation that we often have good documentation for major ufo events occurring outside the U.S. but not for those that occur within the U.S. , to be both true and thought provoking.

This is probably not going to be too popular an opinion, but Leslie hasn't really told us anything we don't already know and the most impressive thing about her is the fact that she's making a living doing ufology journalism. It's also a good thing that she's out there in the public eye raising awareness about ufology. However, there is no way that civilians are going to get access to classified UFO information short of leaks or the FOIA, and FOIA requests have already been refused at the highest judicial levels and/or else blacked out so as to be pretty much useless. So thinking that we're going to get any traction by asking in a politically correct manner is still naive. If anything does come out of it, it will be purely by the coincidence that those holding onto it are ready to release it anyway, and the CFI people ( Universal City Studios ) are the first one's there with their hand out.

In addition to the political correctness, I wasn't too impressed with the elitist attitudes advocating kowtowing to the scientific establishment and being overly critical of the so-called woo-woo crowd. Ufologists know the difference between ufology studies and ufology culture and so far as I'm concerned, serious ufology is the main course, and all the other stuff is the dessert. It adds an element of entertainment and fun to the whole field. Instead of seeing it as a problem to be eradicated, the solution is to embrace it within its proper context. So relax, we already know UFOs are real and we don't need the govenment or scientists to tell us. To end off with a comment on ufology culture, add the recent movie Paul to the list. It's pure fiction and has all the stuff Leslie and Chris love to hate, and I enjoyed my popcorn and ice cream bar while watching it as much as any of the dozens of other movies in ufology culture. Which reminds me, I'll have to see if I can get Close Encounters on Blu-Ray

j.r.

Back