• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Assault rifle exchanged for a Musket petition ?

Free episodes:

Ezechiel

Paranormal Adept
I'm not an american :( and I'd love to see the response for this kind of petition.

Create an Account | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

Would the second amendment have been written differently if they had guns using today's technology ?
Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd like to propose a program to exchange your semi-automatic:
AR15_A3_Tactical_Carbine_pic1.jpg

For this gorgeous musket accompanied with a bag of black powder and a few bullets :)
doglockblunderbuss1.jpg

All of this to preserve the 'spirit' and intents of the founding fathers who obviously had no crystal ball to foresee the impact of exponential technological evolution on that simple musket ;)

Any chance this will fly LOL ?

That's not a musket, that's a blunderbuss. It fires multiple rounds with each trigger pull , like a shotgun .
The Founding Fathers intended the citizens to have arms equal to the military and in those days there were even
cannons in private hands. Why should today be any different? What outsiders don't understand is we do not have
an unfailing trust in government . Government is made up of men and men are evil.

That's not a musket, that's a blunderbuss. It fires multiple rounds with each trigger pull , like a shotgun .
Ooops... here's a musket ;) (shows you how much I know about guns lol)
AmericanMusket.jpg

American Musket | Museum of the American Revolution

The Founding Fathers intended the citizens to have arms equal to the military and in those days there were even cannons in private hands. Why should today be any different? What outsiders don't understand is we do not have
an unfailing trust in government . Government is made up of men and men are evil.

This idea needs to be addressed if that's the case. The equivalent of a cannon would be a.... tactical nuclear weapon ?
250px-Davy_Crockett_bomb.jpg

U.S. officials view a
W54
nuclear warhead (with a 10 or 20 ton explosive yield) as used on the​
Davy Crockett
recoilless gun
. The unusually small size of this tactical nuclear weapon is apparent​

The idea of evil men with nukes doesn't have a leg to stand on. We live in a global village now... time to disarm ;)

Yeah the thing you don't understand because you're not an American is that you could take every single legally purchased gun in the United States and destroy them and there would still be thousands if not hundreds of thousands of illegal weapons left in private hands. Not to mention the fact that a huge number of guns would still be flowing into this country from outside sources, just like drugs you aren't going to solve the problem by making them illegal, because there are plenty of people who just don't give a shit. I'm not one of these "omg the evil guvmint is coming to get meh!" types who buy into all this NWO horseshit, but I am a realist and here in America the police have no legal obligation to protect you from those who would violate the law, so why in the world would you imagine that passing a law against someone legally owning a gun would stop those who don't follow the law in the first place? It's naive and extremely silly to think that banning guns is going to stop gun crime, banning drugs didn't stop drug crime, banning alcohol didn't stop bootlegging, why the hell would guns be any different?

Naw... this petition is to remove Assault Rifles only. Do you really need this type of weapon ?

Personally? No, don't need one, don't own one but the point still stands, if you remove the legally owned assault rifles, the illegally owned assault rifles still remain. Will it reduce the number of assault rifles available? Sure, but if someone wants to get their hands on one and they aren't concerned with things like the law, they're going to get their hands on one. Prohibition hasn't ever worked and I don't think it's going to work in this case either.

Personally? No, don't need one, don't own one but the point still stands, if you remove the legally owned assault rifles, the illegally owned assault rifles still remain. Will it reduce the number of assault rifles available? Sure, but if someone wants to get their hands on one and they aren't concerned with things like the law, they're going to get their hands on one. Prohibition hasn't ever worked and I don't think it's going to work in this case either.

One area where this might work... making Sandy Hook type events much harder to produce. IMHO, Its all about finding a sane balance and trying to trend towards safer environments for everybody.

One area where this might work... making Sandy Hook type events much harder to produce. IMHO, Its all about finding a sane balance and trying to trend towards safer environments for everybody.

I wish it were that simple, but a determined criminal will still be able to get his hands on an illegal assault rifle whether you ban all the legal assault rifles or not. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm all for trying to find a way to prevent these types of tragedies, I just don't think that this is it.

I am against public ownership of guns BUT America is a special case in that the sheer volume of guns almost make it a necessity for some to own their own, if only to balance out all the guns owned by the criminal element.

I suppose in a way the whole western world can take some blame in that through American movies, we've constantly celebrated the gun culture. I played cowboys and indians when I was young, I like western movies, Star Wars, and I absolutely love movies with lots of weapons. I liked weapons when I was in the Navy... blah blah, so I can't stand in one corner complaining about Americans wanting privately owned guns when If I were to move and live in the US I would have to seriously think about whether I would keep a weapon at home.

Of course that is just not something most of us need worry about. So I am in the weird position of thinking society is better without nearly-free access to guns, but also recognising that unfortunately it is way too late for the US as there simply far too many in circulation already. Most of us around the world, even those of us who quite like guns, still do not want the average home to have one around. People can get lazy with security and also your emotions are likely to be strained the most with those closest to you. I wonder what the figures are for accidental discharge and/or shootings within families?

@Ezechiel - I know it may not be cool but I have to admit I do like the look of the automatic rifle you have pictured. I'm not sure what it is - and M4 carbine or AR-15 variant or something. Someone will know just by looking (and that someone will be American:p)

If I were to move and live in the US I would have to seriously think about whether I would keep a weapon at home.

Would this apply for all the states in the US or just a few .... like Texas ;)

My feeling is that some zones/states are 'gunnier' than others. You've got pro-choice states and pro-life states... why not pro-gun (individual rights... security through armament) and pro-disarmament (collective rights.. security through disarmament) states. Unfortunately that view would destroy my proposed petition lol.

Just thought you would find this interesting.

Paranoid? maybe not.

thats why it might be a good idea to implement gun control laws on a state by state basis and not a national one. Watching and learning might be the way to go since sensibilities and paranoia are so high ;)

If local/foreign investors or more people start migrating to gun-free zones you'll be pressured to change one way or another.

thats why it might be a good idea to implement gun control laws on a state by state basis and not a national one. Watching and learning might be the way to go since sensibilities and paranoia are so high ;)

If local/foreign investors or more people start migrating to gun-free zones you'll be pressured to change one way or another.

That could work you know, good to see some people thinking outside the box on this issue.

Guns are just not normally seen in public where I live due to our strong gun control, but having said that if New Zealanders had to take up arms to defend our home from enemy's both domestic and foreign, you can rest assured you would see a hell of a lot of them pointed at the trouble makers quick smart.

Takes a bit to piss us off, but its not a good idea to do it. Yeah we have no major air force or navy etc but as you Americans have learned the hard way in the middle east, a gorilla war is a messy business and you can not win a war in a nation who's people for the majority do not want you there.

Back