• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Art Bell returns!

Pararescueman

Skilled Investigator
NEW YORK (AP) — Art Bell, radio's master of the paranormal and outward edges of science, will return to the microphone on Sept. 16 with a new nighttime show on Sirius XM Radio.

"I missed it terribly," said Bell, 68, whose weeknight show will air live from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. ET. Sirius is building a studio at Bell's rural Nevada home where he will work.

I question how many people will be listening. Do you have a Sirius XM receiver in your home? Would you buy a receiver just to hear Bell? Sirius XM has been presented as a medium for the car. I have a subscription to listen to it in my vehicle but not my home. I suspect this is the way most people tune in as well. I don't plan on sitting in my car late at night to hear Art Bell ramble on. This might be much ado about nothing.

Sirius XM has nearly 20 million customers, and you can buy home systems that support it. That's how I listen when I'm in my office. It's not limited to the car.

But the key is this: Talk hosts such as Art Bell, George Noory, and even Rush Limbaugh, are not journalists or commentators. They are entertainers. They aren't here to give you accurate information or inform you. They are here to get great ratings, help their networks sell ads, and make loads and loads of money. Period. Unfortunately, the same is true for broadcast news these days, particularly on cable.

You are right about the money making aspect of this whole adventure. You will be probably be getting the same advertising content and frequency as you would on Coast to Coast plus you will be paying for the privilege of listening to Art Bell.

And Howard Stern, and lots of other people, along with commercial free music on dozens and dozens of channels, some devoted to a specific artist.

Art Bell is the least of it.

I wonder if after the inevitable ratings drop...does sirius/xm subscribe to arbitron?... how long it will be before art announces he is walking away from the mic due to concerns about his own and family's safety. Perhaps sirius/xm has a number of men in black among their faithful subscribers.

in a state of confusion since 1961.

Or he just needed a paycheck, having spent his stash or whatever.

I presume this would be a multi-year deal, so it wouldn't matter how ratings fare. He could walk away three or five years from now and, if he's careful, never have to work again. But that wouldn't be fun either. I wouldn't think of retiring until I start to dribble and the mind fades. But seem people think my mind has faded already.

Starting early this morning I have received many many notes about the return of Art Bell with his new show "Dark Matter." Dark Matters Radio with Don Ecker is the ORIGINAL DMR ... since 2004! Accept no imitations!

Decker

Starting early this morning I have received many many notes about the return of Art Bell with his new show "Dark Matter." Dark Matters Radio with Don Ecker is the ORIGINAL DMR ... since 2004! Accept no imitations!

Decker

WOW ! I didn't understand J.T.s comment above until I read your post. Pretty Chintzy, Arthur. But then I assume you had NO idea that a similar name was already in use for very similar programming. I suggest a more appropiare name for your show.

"Dense Matter"

in a state of confusion since 1961.

Back