• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

anybody seen that film called Paranormal Activity ?

Live at the Witch Trials

Skilled Investigator
I Watched the film PARANORMAL ACTIVITY last night and Ive got to say that it scared the shit out of me. I was literaly sat on the edge of my seat intentionaly distracting myself with my cat and watching the film over my shoulder so to speak.

I didnt know anything before hand regarding this film and I just picked it up in a bargain bin in my local supermarket.

I'm not such type of person to be easily spooked but the film is similar to the Blair Witch in the way it is filmed.

On a side note the film cost $15,000 to make and yeilded $100 million at the US box office.

The film disturbed me that much that with your indulgence I wanted to have a discussion about it or at best a short conversation.:D

If you havent seen this film then make it your mission to go out and get it. When you do watch it alone in the dark like I did.

Wikimedia Error

Yep. My husband and I saw it in an uber packed theater when it first came out. We didn't really think it was scary, but we both were cracking up watching everyone else. My friend that went with us had her hoodie closed up like Kenney from Southpark. There were all of these huge linebacker lookin dudes right next to us who were squealing and squirming in their seats like little girls.

There was a huge thread on here about it when it came out in the theaters too, so you may be able to read what everyone thought about it if you can search and find that.

Actually, just found it:
https://www.theparacast.com/forum/threads/5541-Paranormal-Activity?highlight=movie

I don't mean to sound rude, but my answer your Q. in the thread title was gonna be...

"Yeah. It's shit. And not scary at all."

But watching movies is all about set and setting. So I appreciate that results may vary.

EDIT - Oh wait. You watched it alone!? Well damn. Yeah, you wouldn't catch me doing that. I'm sure (positive actually) it would have scared the absolute shit out of me had I watched alone. So yeah like I said... set and setting :p

I don't mean to sound rude, but my answer your Q. in the thread title was gonna be...

"Yeah. It's shit. And not scary at all."

But watching movies is all about set and setting. So I appreciate that results may vary.

EDIT - Oh wait. You watched it alone!? Well damn. Yeah, you wouldn't catch me doing that. I'm sure (positive actually) it would have scared the absolute shit out of me had I watched alone. So yeah like I said... set and setting :p

Yeah I was tired and watched it on my own at around midnight not really expecting much. If I watched it during the day with friends I would probably have thought it was a tad Lame.

Yeah I was tired and watched it on my own at around midnight not really expecting much. If I watched it during the day with friends I would probably have thought it was a tad Lame.

Ye gods ... what would our lord Mark E Smith say-uh, eh??? I'll probably-uh get to see-uh (pattern emerging here ... uh :D) it one day but as reputation goes, I heard it was as scary as The Blair Witch Project ... which of course I found not at all scary in any way... and a bit dull, really. And this is from someone who as a kid was scared by Dracula ... yep ... the 1930s one with the bats on strings!

I think you need to strengthen up a bit on that good ol' Strychnine me laddie ... or some of that ol' White Lightning-uh :D

ps nice to see you back :) ... we need all the Fall fans around here we can get :D

I have seen it and I have to say it took me a while to get certain scenes out of my head, BUT, this is because it rang true with me-I have posted of an experience with a shadow ghost on here and I think this is the reason I had issues for a few weeks!

Objectively speaking I think it's great, very convincing and now I know what to expect I would watch it again-not on my own obviously, not quite that brave yet! lol:D

hmm... I'm pretty sure I could watch it alone in the dark on a stormy night and not be creeped out. I'm pretty brave though. I can't think of a horror movie that scares me really. Although when I was a kid, it was The Exorcist. I worried about being possessed for about 2 weeks after that one.

The only scary thing now that I would never watch alone is 2 girls 1 cup.
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm... I'm pretty sure I could watch it alone in the dark on a stormy night and not be creeped out. I'm pretty brave though.

Yes but you would say that being anonymous and on the Internet. (only Joking)

I think that a key element in this film is the fact that not a lot really happens so it kind of ramps up the tension. When your watching it your eyes are scanning the screen for something that isnt there................or is it ?

The foot print scene was good and when she got dragged out of bed that was good also when the paranormal expert came round the second time and immediatley left I thought was convincing.

While watching the film I wanted to punch that guy Mika he was making the situation worse. If that was my girlfriend I would have took her to a Monastery or something or at least got the church involved.

Well watching any scary movie alone is always a very different experience. Its all about the anticipation. The more the tension builds the more jumpy I get. The relative scaryness of the film is usually not as relevant than if you were watching it either with other people at night, or during the day by yourself in the light.

Well watching any scary movie alone is always a very different experience. Its all about the anticipation. The more the tension builds the more jumpy I get. The relative scaryness of the film is usually not as relevant than if you were watching it either with other people at night, or during the day by yourself in the light.

Its very rare for me to get spooked by a film at all whether alone or not day or night. I think thats why I like those film that are recorded with a hand held Camera and posing as a documentary ala Blair witch I forget the name of the Genre but there have been some good films such as.......

Cloverfield
Blair Witch
Rec (Spanish Version)

Yes but you would say that being anonymous and on the Internet. (only Joking)

I dunno, I probably should be more anonymous. That is a real photo of me (there are more on my profile) and everyone I know calls me Bogie. I'm pretty sure some of my friends with similar interests have seen me on here. Maybe I should have a she-ra avitar or something, but too late now.

Actually... its all a lie, I'm an 80 year old pervy dude. :eek:)

Yet another shaking cam mockumentary. The premise was good. The film could have been better. It had some pretty, creepy moments. The boyfriend's arrogance was particularly annoying.

I have not seen Paranormal Activity but I watched "The Forth Kind" this weekend. Good grief what a horrible movie. I am amazed that this movie got made with 'known actors'. It is an absolute travesty. I compare it to the Blair Witch Project in that it claims to be based on a true story and includes what is claimed to be 'real footage' of events that happened in Alaska. However if you check there are no records of any of that having happened. It's a full blown hoax movie presented in one of the most irritating uses of split screen I have ever seen. Lot's of screaming and spooky vocal sounds and nonsense about ancient languages. While it has things in it that make me think someone read a lot of alien abduction material (the foul cinnamon smell for example) it is so totally offbeat and off base as to induce catcalls and hoots from anyone who has even shown a passing interest in the subject. Talk about a bad acid trip ...

Yeah, The Forth Kind was bad. In my opinion, it was waaay more evil than Blair Witch because The Forth Kind actually wrote made up articles they put on their website and claimed they were published in that towns real newspaper and they even stuck on the names of real people that worked at that paper and pretended they had wrote them. When the people at the paper found out, they were pissed. Plus, if you look at an aerial view of the actual town, it is nothing like it was portrayed in the supposed "actual" footage. In the movie it was all mountain-ey and full of trees, but in real life, the place is flat and in the middle of no where and doesn't have forests or a lot of trees at all.

Here, I found a pic of that town:

http://www.tomsnome.com/aerial2004.jpg

I saw that other film "Parnormal Entity" last night. I have to say that it sucked. It was no where near as good as Paranormal Activity. In my opinion Paranormal Activity got the tempo just right as it slowly built up during the film to the finale and you noticed that it got worse and worse.

Parnormal Entity just tried to cash in and had nowhere near the same amount of thought behind it. Also the acting sucked wheras in Parnormal Activity the acting was quite believable.

Paranormal Activity blew dogs for spare change. It's a Blair Witch knock-off and the ending was a let down. Wait...no...the entire movie was a let down. It was just plain bad. Kudos to the people behind it though. They've proven low budget movies can have a take of the Hollywood hype. Too bad it wasn't worth the revenue it generated but then, how much from Hollywood is?

I think the fact this movie was pitched as "the scariest movie of all time" was enough for me to cringe.

Paranormal Entity was just as bad. They both blew.

Back