• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Anthropologist Held Hostage By Elves For 7 Years

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[Kalena Van Winkle is found... News at 11. Not sure what to make of this claim. If true, it will be interesting to hear what this "anthropologist" has to say for herself. I wonder what she thinks of the wee-folk now, seven years later? — chris]

By C. Michael Forsyth

REYKJAVIK, Iceland — Seven years after she vanished without a trace, a female anthropologist emerged from a mysterious cave where authorities believe she may have been held hostage by real-life elves!

Danish researcher Kalena Søndergaard was stark naked, covered by dust and babbling incoherently when rescuers found her outside a tiny opening in the famous Elf Rock, traditionally believed to house the underground dwelling place of mankind’s tiny cousins.

“She was crouching like an animal and spoke only in a language unrelated to any we know,” said Armor Guðjohnsen of the National Rescue Service, which airlifted the 31-year-old survivor to a hospital by helicopter.

“The only word we could understand was ‘alfur,’ an old Icelandic word for elves. On her back were strange tattoos similar to those markings Viking explorers found on rock formations when they settled Iceland in 874, traditionally known as ‘elf writing.’ ”

Kalena, who was seeking proof of the existence of elves, was reported missing in January of 2006. At the time, police suspected she was the victim of foul play, but an intensive search failed to turn up any remains. On Feb. 4, 2013, hikers spotted the scientist crawling on all fours on a ledge high on the rocky hill, moving “more like an ape than a human being,” one of the hikers told a newspaper.

elves-naked-better.jpg

Belief in elves is widespread in the frigid island nation. One poll shows that 70 % of inhabitants believe they share the country with the pint-size underground race they call the Huldufolk or “hidden people.”

“The hidden people live in the underworld right beneath the ground in rocks and hills,” according to Haukur Ingi Jónasson, a leading Icelandic theologian and psychoanalyst.

he government takes age-old legends about elves so seriously that roads are built around rocks formations associated with the creatures. Factories cannot be constructed until government experts certify there are no underground elf dwellings at the site.
Dr. Niels Kristiansen was one of Kalena’s colleagues of at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark and says the anthropologist wrote her doctoral thesis on elf folklore.

“Until recently most experts assumed that stories about elves in Iceland were merely fairytales,” reveals Dr. Kristiansen. “But the discovery in 2003 of the so-called Hobbit in Liang Bua cave on the remote Indonesian island of Flores confirmed that a race of diminutive humanoids lived there as recently as 12,000 years ago.

“Had it not been for a volcanic eruption those close relatives of homo sapiens might have survived up to the present day. Since no such catastrophe occurred in Iceland, it’s a reasonable hypothesis that this species of tiny humanoids existed on the island at the time of the Vikings. Certainly this aboriginal race would have had a good reason to take refuge underground to hide from the fierce warriors.

“Kalena was excited about the possibility that Elves exist. That’s why she went to Iceland in 2005 to pursue her investigation.”

elves-missing-girl.jpg

A logical starting point was the enormous hill Alfarkirkjan, known as Elf Rock. Located in the Sælingsdalur Valley, it has remained unchanged since the Ice Age. The mysterious rock, sometimes called the Cathedral of the Elves, has been the site of elf sightings for centuries... REST OF ARTICLE HERE:

Here is an Orlando Sentinel article with a 23 image slide-show of her rescue:

The fact that most mentions of this story appears on various meme/ 4chan pages instead of dedicated news sites is telling I think but it's still a pretty cool story and/or performance art.

I suggest you folks take a look at this link instead: Naked woman rescured from cliffs to Black's Beach | Mail Online

When Chris "fixed" the link..which was probably intentionlly broken ....he posted the true story. I was initially hoping that maybe that some filthy, emaciated, incoherent person that truly was lost turned up (that didn't come out right) I can only imagine what kind of state of mind a person would be in deprived of many of the things we take for granted.

This was the second hit when I googled the name because of "broken link" Augoeides: Strange But Not True

Last edited:
In a place where elves have street numbers,
could elves have used there magic to save Iceland from the bankers?

Last edited:
This is what gets me, I wont say I'm a expert but as huge researcher of the Fae, fair folk, etc elves wouldn't live amongst caves, Sea elves would but they are not beings of the inner earth, where cave would be shelter from stormy shores, I would relate this to more Gnomes and or Dwarves, who are more "Earthy" related, elves in the shoemaker - Gnomes and or Brownies not elves, Elves are intelligent creatures of nature, more out in the wilds or away from dark or civilization of humans. Well unless if the dark elves or Dökkálfar or svartálfar of Svartálfaheimr grabbed her then I could see that.... alas gnomes and brownies or another inner earth dweller who are very mischievous could of done it, I would like to do a interview and see that cave.

Speaking of the wee folk, here is an ideal childrens' book for a Christmas present, The Trouble with Trolls by Jan Brett. Especially exciting for children who have dogs, for the trolls that Treva meets want and steal her dog Tuffi and take him down into their dwelling in Mount Baldy. All of Jan Brett's lavishly illustrated books for children are a joy for the children and also for the adults in the family. And good for Christmas-time because they all take place in the frozen far North. Have a look at the available illustrations for The Mitten too. Others are equally splendid but I've forgotten the titles. Just search Jan Brett at your online bookstore.

There was a book in my elementary schools library, I used to take out alot. I remember the illustrations in the book of a small town going about it's business, except there were trolls hiding and lurking about in each page. The only other thing I can recall is the ending of the book, where a storm blows in over a body of water- showing trolls in the storm clouds. I tried finding this book online, but with so little to go on- impossible.

There was a book in my elementary schools library, I used to take out alot. I remember the illustrations in the book of a small town going about it's business, except there were trolls hiding and lurking about in each page. The only other thing I can recall is the ending of the book, where a storm blows in over a body of water- showing trolls in the storm clouds. I tried finding this book online, but with so little to go on- impossible.
Thats cause the trolls took it offline.. revealed too many secrets

In a place where elves have street numbers,
could elves have used there magic to save Iceland from the bankers?

How interesting,couple questions popped up now
1) What really is the supernatural? If elves, gnomes,trolls, existed for eons why are they placed in supernatural when they been natural, is it just because we have been conditioned and brainwashed to forget about them?
2) Do they get taxed too? and for ones in the states, taxed? and offered obamacare?

Back