• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Alien Abductions, Child Sexual Abuse & Sleep Paralysis

What do you think is the origin of alien abductions?

• Total voters
A few responses to this discussion:

Hypnosis is not a reliable instrument for developing evidence of sightings and/or contact, no matter how emotionally upset and sincere the subject is, or how competent and highly trained a professional hypnotist might be, because memories may be false. See the link below:

Neurologist Oliver Sacks on Memory, Plagiarism, and the Necessary Forgettings of Creativity | Brain
Pickings

"In his recent New York Review of Books essay, legendary neurologist Oliver Sacks tackles precisely that, exposing the remarkable mechanisms by which we fabricate our memories, involuntarily blurring the line between the experienced and the assimilated:

"It is startling to realize that some of our most cherished memories may never have happened — or may have happened to someone else. I suspect that many of my enthusiasms and impulses, which seem entirely my own, have arisen from others’ suggestions, which have powerfully influenced me, consciously or unconsciously, and then been forgotten."

The same criticism applies to vivid experiences during half-waking states. Claims of presences in the room, and/or abductions must be examined against what is known about hypnagogic states, which can be nothing more than waking nightmares.

This phenomena is a very interesting subject, no matter what your belief system indicates and seems to be on the rise

This phenomena is a very interesting subject, no matter what your belief system indicates and seems to be on the rise

I am not certain its on the rise - although the recent interview with Jacobs and the subsequent thread generated a lot of comment. Given the use of group regression at a recent experiencer's conference and the claim that interest in UFOs might well mean that you have experiences hidden from your conscious memories, it certainly has found its niche.

I do not think abduction scenarios "recovered" under hypnosis has had the same kind of traction that satanic ritual abuse has had (from Michelle Remembers to its heyday when the FBI investigated claims of mass satanic activity or more recent lawsuits brought about after hypnosis was used).

I don't think I need to repeat the problems with hypnotic regression that were discussed in the Jacobs thread, but is there any rise in abduction reports that are not dependent on hypnosis?

Last edited:
One more thing: Let's not dwell on Dr. David Jacobs, Emma Woods, etc. Let's look at the big picture and discuss this subject constructively.

I've already closed one thread. I don't want to do that again with another.

just to clarify what i meant "on the rise "i mean more and more people are now coming forward with these experiences a few more have come to me to ask my opinion on such matters as to the abduction problem I'm still not sure Regression under hypnosis is a good idea i just can't fathom how that fixes the problem as it could also be self generated from a number of issues there is just too much fluff around about each story is different and by similar or human creatures to me its all confusing...
you know I'm not entirely sure about abductions not under some form of hypnosis i know there is definitely some "stan romanek " for just one example
I'm sure he's only had been under hypnosis for some of his stories ,
but i think Derrel sims also has a few of his cases where he did not use hypnotic regression ?

Last edited:
One more thing: Let's not dwell on Dr. David Jacobs, Emma Woods, etc. Let's look at the big picture and discuss this subject constructively.

I've already closed one thread. I don't want to do that again with another.

I think your question from that thread about how abduction cases should be researched is the only thing of particular importance here. The other topics have been discussed at length

I've posted before about having sleep paralysis a number of times but without any abduction/entity in room type stuff along with it. Until just the other night - I had 2 consecutive 'bouts' or sleep paralysis and in both it really felt like hands were messing with my feet/lower legs at the bottom of my bed. Being tall it's normal for my feet to end up sticking out the bottom and it seemed real that someone or something was messing with me. I have no kids or pets - it was a complete construct of my mind. Whilst I believe there is evidence for paranormal phenomena, I am convinced nothing sinister happened to me. Upon waking properly I immediately knew what had just happened, but during it, it felt as real as anything, so I suppose if it had been more prolonged and I'd sighted some being or other, I can see it being a possible explanation for abductions etc.

But we are reminded that there are supposedly cases of abduction in which the 'victim' is physically missing for a time. Also the cases involving multiple abductees on the same night etc are far more difficult to explain with S.P.

I've posted before about having sleep paralysis a number of times but without any abduction/entity in room type stuff along with it. Until just the other night - I had 2 consecutive 'bouts' or sleep paralysis and in both it really felt like hands were messing with my feet/lower legs at the bottom of my bed. Being tall it's normal for my feet to end up sticking out the bottom and it seemed real that someone or something was messing with me. I have no kids or pets - it was a complete construct of my mind. Whilst I believe there is evidence for paranormal phenomena, I am convinced nothing sinister happened to me. Upon waking properly I immediately knew what had just happened, but during it, it felt as real as anything, so I suppose if it had been more prolonged and I'd sighted some being or other, I can see it being a possible explanation for abductions etc.

But we are reminded that there are supposedly cases of abduction in which the 'victim' is physically missing for a time. Also the cases involving multiple abductees on the same night etc are far more difficult to explain with S.P.

thats very interesting mate i find this subject very fascinating and believe it to be perhaps the keystone in many cases your are correct about people missing for a period of time and wearing different clothes and strange marks ETC but more people are coming forward and having these types of experiences anyone heard from anyone else having these episodes ?

There's a couple of things that come to mind when I think of abductions, first is the common themes they tend to share. Description, greys ( short and tall), reptilian and nordics. They describe being handled, physically removed, tabled, instruments used on them, pain. They all seem to use telepathy to communicate. We've had Bud Hopkins , John Mack and David Jacobs all separately do hundreds of sessions with people that tend to support the above description, in general. Nowhere in their observations did they report a high degree of sexual abuse showing up in these sessions. I would think that if these were all sexual assults that we'd see more clues to that. We've also heard the stories with two or more people involved which goes at the sleep paralysis theory. Two people both under sleep paralysis is highly unlikely. We have children telling of abductions, children who have not developed the ability to "hold onto" a lie or fib. We have the classic recordings of Betty and Barney Hill, not describing anything remotely like sexual assault. Theres people who awake to physical markings on their bodies, feelings of being in a marathon physically yet not remembering what happened.
With PTSD you can eventually get to the bottom of what tears a person up through regular therapy. If not all of the details, your likely to get framents. And it may start with an alien abduction because that's more tangible for the mind to deal with (since it didn't happen) than the real thing. But in real abduction research like the men I've named above, the person could not maintain the experience of "aliens" without intermixing the human assault. It requires genuine work to maintain a mirage of protection from the brutal reality they don't want to face. We would have heard more of this as a phenomena in the research. More than likely each of these researchers would have backed away from the certainty they found in their research. What I'm wondering.....is why their research gets so lightly tossed when looking at all this? This kind of reminds me of what Richard Dolan was saying about the sheer bulk of testimony within the field that lends to the credibility. Lastly....since I do believe aliens are cruising the skies....it's not likely there just sitting back sipping cocktails and messing with our missiles. It seems logical that they'd be messing with both us and animals.
I would like to suggest that the "researchers" mentioned are dismissed because they aggressively used hypnotic regression, often dozens of times for each individual. Since hypnotic regression has been proven (by ACTUAL experts in hypnosis OUTSIDE ufology) to be inappropriate for such research, people are increasingly dismissing research gathered from this extremely faulty tool. I would also like to suggest that the only reason that the latter researchers only report the usual suspects (Greys, Nordics, Reptilians) is because they have admitted to casting out any "bizarre" encounters that do not fit this popular scenario. While I have NO faith in anything Whitley Strieber has ever written or now states, nonetheless I do take seriously his book COMMUNION LETTERS. Of course, he and his wife Anne at the time had to select the letters to include in this book. Nonetheless, instead of the standard stories of lions, tigers and bears, we get giraffes, mongooses, and elephants! Many people report encounters with extremely bizarre creatures that do not fit into the neat and tidy classification systems that literalists in ufology have created (e.g., 89 species and counting).

I think you might have missed a point. Some people are suggesting that previous sexual molestation by humans may have caused the creation of alien abduction as a coping mechanism. Instead of daddy probing a little girl's intimate parts, it is much more preferable to dissociate from this memory and visualize aliens doing the poking. Nonetheless, the researchers you mention report many cases of sexual intercourse with aliens and other humans on the "ships", along with the presentation of hybrids that are the supposed result of human-alien sex intercourse and/or egg/sperm manipulation.

This is the kind of positive discussion that really enhances attempts to understand what's going on. No personal attacks. Just positive discussions about abduction research results and the problems with current research that may lead people on false trails.

I wonder here: If hypnotic regression is unreliable, and memories are buried, how do you recover them? Do you try drugs? Relaxation techniques, some form of meditation, to allow one to concentrate better? If the memories are painful, do you have psychologists or psychiatrists probe this through extended — and expensive — sessions to help the patient consciously remember what really happened?

We really need to develop a set of rules of the road to gain an understanding of what's going on — if we can.

The reason the similar descriptions hold weight is that if this were purely fantasy why not have frankenstein or dracula sticking needles in them. Or zombies, mermaids, etc. The most common descriptions being told are greys, short and tall, reptoids and nordics. The most common physical interaction is having something physically done to them or taken from them. Why wouldn't the stories all range in variance like some sit down to eat with you like Jesus, some torture you, some take you to other worlds, etc. There are those stories, but from what I'm seeing and hearing its not the "common" interaction. The other common experience is telepathy. I've had dreams where people talk to me, I talk back. So we know that dream states have this. But almost always its telepathy. And this is all over the world. The only variance that I see from the researchers is the motive. But we don't even agree on the "act" yet to worry about the motive.
Over many years of reading extensively on this subject matter, I have come across accounts of ship occupants that include red glowing eyed black dogs, Wizards (in a Gandalf mode), humanoids of all colors, robots like the maid in THE JETSONS, elf like creatures with long pointed Spock ears, little monsters who cling to window screens with sharp claws, sulfuric glowing entities, and (yes, this is a true testimony) Elvis Presley in the company of Jesus.

You need to enlarge your perspective on this phenomena beyond Jacobs, Hopkins and Mack. For a start, read Jacques Vallee.

This sums up abductees quite nicely...

Talking to Self-Proclaimed UFO Witnesses and Abductees in Arizona - VICE

Ashtar Command, for the win!
I confess that when I talk to the average abductee at a conference or group, I find myself becoming embarrassed for them. This goes particularly for the ones who have needed a strict belief system to handle it, such as the ever popular New Age Ascended Masters Dogma which is full of alien civilization lore (and a good guide to who is naughty and who is nice). Then there is, as noted, the Ashcan Command (which has been promising heaven-on-earth at least since the 70's but fails to deliver because earthings are "just not ready" yet). I sincerely become very sad and want nothing to do with this gang, even though I had alien abduction experiences as a child. But I always was OK with letting them remain a mystery and enigma rather than tack on some culturally derived explanation. I find the Christian crusade to dominate the phenomena and torture it into something that fits their dogma rather reprehensible.

I would like to suggest that the "researchers" mentioned are dismissed because they aggressively used hypnotic regression, often dozens of times for each individual. Since hypnotic regression has been proven (by ACTUAL experts in hypnosis OUTSIDE ufology) to be inappropriate for such research, people are increasingly dismissing research gathered from this extremely faulty tool. I would also like to suggest that the only reason that the latter researchers only report the usual suspects (Greys, Nordics, Reptilians) is because they have admitted to casting out any "bizarre" encounters that do not fit this popular scenario. While I have NO faith in anything Whitley Strieber has ever written or now states, nonetheless I do take seriously his book COMMUNION LETTERS. Of course, he and his wife Anne at the time had to select the letters to include in this book. Nonetheless, instead of the standard stories of lions, tigers and bears, we get giraffes, mongooses, and elephants! Many people report encounters with extremely bizarre creatures that do not fit into the neat and tidy classification systems that literalists in ufology have created (e.g., 89 species and counting).

I think you might have missed a point. Some people are suggesting that previous sexual molestation by humans may have caused the creation of alien abduction as a coping mechanism. Instead of daddy probing a little girl's intimate parts, it is much more preferable to dissociate from this memory and visualize aliens doing the poking. Nonetheless, the researchers you mention report many cases of sexual intercourse with aliens and other humans on the "ships", along with the presentation of hybrids that are the supposed result of human-alien sex intercourse and/or egg/sperm manipulation.
Thanks for your continued strong line on this subject. There is no more disruptive area of Ufology than abductions and it is so often talked about as if there are no real people with real histories at the centre of the discussion, just subjects, or "evidence", or as in the case of David Jacobs, Emma Woods, who does not have to be looked at as a person because the male researcher is the priority. Her evidence and attitude doesn't fit the violent rape fantasy myth being proposed by the good Dr. J. and so like most rape victims, they go on trial instead of the man. Their history and what they said or didn't say becomes the focus instead of the facts. Jacobs' facts are no different than Woods' facts except he is saying, basically, "She asked for it," and, "She could have left anytime if she wanted." Do people really not see the parallels here with sexual assault court cases?

Woods is talking all about Sexual Assault and that should be the first assessment and not the aliens. As a very wise poster pointed out previously on the now closed thread: "Evidence of child sexual abuse - infinite, Evidence of sexually abusing aliens - none!" We need a little more rational perspective here on this topic and very few in leadership positions are providing it, though I was quite appreciative of those who did: @Mulvaney , @Ron Away , @mrs. eccentric , @Rizla , @ChrisJohnsen and @beyondthestargate . You made moral judgments that are a necessary part of this discussion. Any so called "evidence collection" by hypnotic dabblers is nothing but an immoral and mostly misogynistic fantasy. That is what needs a response. There are no sides in this discussion on sexual trauma as has been suggested in newsletters and elsewhere. This lack of moral assessment of alien abduction "research" or fantasy discussion is too often left by the wayside; because, some feel it's more important to talk about the disturbing erotic mythos than the fact that real people are at the centre of it.

I still think that there is something absolutely fascinating about close encounter cases that yield to further disruptions and experiences such as those of Dale Spaur and the Bledsoe claims, but all this phone sex nonsense as an excuse for talk of planetary takeover needs to be sidelined. There is a mystery here and it is highly complex as it is tied to the history of a distressed human psyche. That can not be examined by amateurs, nor should it be used as entertainment fodder or career building aspirations, certainly not as click bait. I can't be party to that anymore.

So thanks @beyondthestargate for your hard, moral line. We need more of that in this field as a whole. But I definitely need a break from supporting a dialogue that ignores the reality of sexual assault, then revictimizes, and then plays innocent for the sake of polite discussion. Some facts need a priority and until that happens ufology will continue to be an old boys' club that uses female sexual trauma as a pathway to personal ego aggrandizement.

Good luck all and better days to you, especially Harry A. Newton, Tyger, Constance, Boomerang, Randal and Wade, for your positivity and your passions for the field. You enrich this place in ways you don't even know. You made my time here educational and worthwhile.

Peace,
Robert

Last edited:
While I may not agree with you totally about EW and DJ, I do think the question of actual, physical sexual abuse needs to be considered in relation to claims of alien abduction. I've raised that issue already.

That and other causes of physical or emotional harm should be evaluated and considered ahead of anything else. I do not buy the theories of hybrid aliens when there are other possibilities to explore.

But this also means that skilled mental health practitioners — and perhaps law enforcement — should be involved early on to see if abuse is a factor. Quite often laymen jump into the fray because there are not enough trained practitioners to take it on. Abductees can be stigmatized as being a bunch of crazies rather than victims, and that doesn't help matters, nor encourage people to seek help.

The reason the similar descriptions hold weight is that if this were purely fantasy why not have frankenstein or dracula sticking needles in them. Or zombies, mermaids, etc. The most common descriptions being told are greys, short and tall, reptoids and nordics. The most common physical interaction is having something physically done to them or taken from them. Why wouldn't the stories all range in variance like some sit down to eat with you like Jesus, some torture you, some take you to other worlds, etc. There are those stories, but from what I'm seeing and hearing its not the "common" interaction. The other common experience is telepathy. I've had dreams where people talk to me, I talk back. So we know that dream states have this. But almost always its telepathy. And this is all over the world. The only variance that I see from the researchers is the motive. But we don't even agree on the "act" yet to worry about the motive.
I am sure you do realize that the Grey phenomena has been particularly prominent in North America. If you study South American reports, you will instead find a history of little gnome like creatures. Of course, since the USA spreads it's understanding of reality far and wide, now we are seeing Grey activity everywhere. What if we are somehow tapping into the current manifestation of a human archetype? Then the phenomena may appear consistently within a cultural setting. But you might expect great variety across a planet that has a multitude of local cultures and beliefs.

Perhaps you are aware that Jesus does appear routinely in these experiences. He has appeared so often that the New Age has given him a new name = Sananda, one of the lesser ascended masters. He has some sort of jurisdiction in the extremely complex ascended master hierarchy that chills out around planet Earth.

While not speaking for everybody, I believe the abduction experience is sleep paralysis. I used to have this happen to myself regularly when I was younger. I always used to describe it to my parents as a buzzing/numbing feeling from head to toe. I've always felt like I was floating & it felt like somebody was standing next to me. The worst it ever happened was around 1996 while I was living in Maine (in a house in the woods). I was living in the loft at the time and my housemate was in the Navy as well. He lived downstairs. The buzzing feeling came over me in the middle of the night more intense than usual. I swore that it felt like someone was standing right next to my bed. It also felt like something was going into my right ear. When I finally regained control of my body, it must have taken me 15 minutes to get the nerve to open my eyes as I thought for sure I would see something in my room. Once I did open my eyes, I reached for the phone and called a friend in N.J. to tell her what happened. It was like 2am so right away she knew something was wrong because I was calling at that hour. She talked me down off the ledge.

Anyways, within the following days I ended up contacting John Mack's office in MA. I was hoping to get an appointment with him but it never materialized.

I was looking for something the other day and I found the letters that I wrote to my family from boot camp. Within one of the letters I saw where I told them about being paralyzed in the middle of the night. Even though this doesn't happen to me nearly as much as it once did, it did happen about one week ago.

I would agree it is one of several possible causes. You shouldn't consider your experiences as representative of all abductions.

Reading everyone's comments, I don't really have a stand on this phenomena. But I am determined to stay open minded in the sense of not writing people's accounts off as secondary to another "real event" if in fact abduction was the real event. I've gone out on a limb before to state that if anyone can conceive of the idea there are craft flying our skies then it's also conceivable they've interacted with us. One doesn't seem more bizarre than the other. As to the sexual assault as the underlying cause, it's not only plausible but likely in some cases. It's also likely that some people are mentally ill and transfer that illness to the modern day sci-fi culture. I don't find that odd at all, especially the mentally ill, since anything that's spectacular is subject to being intertwined in their illness. Had I only read of the more bizarre stuff first and never got to multiple abductions, interviews with Hopkins, Mack's books and even Jacob's entire studies, I would have thought this was all loosely affiliated with mental illness. Even the current Marden book sheds more insight from a first hand perspective and retelling of accounts to give me pause. Can I make the leap in either direction, no...not yet.
An interesting article that's dated yet clearly finds us in the same discussion Center for UFO Studies
As a woman who has been sexually assaulted, having gone through extensive therapy to overcome the trauma from it, I find myself a little confused at the moral stance to defend those of us who have been through this and being subjected to further trauma. I see both sides. I clearly see that victims of sexual assault are not always capable of making choices in their own best interest, such as knowing when help is not helpful. And I fully understand the "cloaking" that goes on to steer clear of painful events, which is why I don't rule out some experiences as being assault. But as I've read through various accounts I don't find the obvious signs as other do that what we're dealing with is "obvious" assault. I find accounts that claim to go back generations within a family, accounts of multiple abductions at the same time, etc. Reading these stories doesn't have me saying, aha!, there's the truth...it just gets put on the side burner until....whenever or whatever brings more clarity, if ever.
Just do everyone a favor in all this, don't decide this is all sexual assault and bring anger to the table that this field is mass producing abductions where there are none. We don't know what it is. And until we do we don't need to muddy the water further. And for what it's worth, I'm a defender of the witness until such time as the witness needs no defending. If they claim abduction, I won't rule it out.

I believe there are a lot of false reports based on various things, military actions, childhood trauma, abuse, etc, but I also believe a percentage are real. I myself had an experience though I wouldn't call it an abduction, more of an invitation/visit, when I was a child (47 years ago approximately). I didn't require hypnosis to remember. In fact I'm convinced that part of what they allowed me to see they wanted me to remember. I believe we are being visited by more than one entity and that they do not collectively share the same agenda. I believe we are being visited by extraterrestrial, but I believe the grays, the ones usually involved in abductions are not extraterrestrial but extra-temporal, that is from our future, although it's really our future in a parallel universe as they're coming here changed the time line creating a different one. I also believe that this is the reason abductions occur along family lines. They are looking for their ancestors, those whose family lines survived to become them. Although they are at this point from a parallel universe, the two parallel universes did not diverge until they came back in time here. I believe what has happened is that they've actually existed to a point in time where our sun has significantly reddened and expanded. I believe that in the future both time and faster than light travel have been invented, but that of the two time travel is easier. What many see as the Grandfather's paradox actually isn't paradoxical because either the many worlds or the many interacting worlds, (I favor the latter) theory of quantum mechanics is correct. By coming back and changing the past they create a new time line. I think for them to come back to our time would be for us to be near a blue giant with lots of ultra-violet, they have adapted to an infrared centered solar spectrum and the visible spectrum is difficult for them, overwhelms and damages their eyes, skin, etc. So this is why they primarily operate at night and why they are trying to create a race of hybrids, beings that have their mental capacities, but are more adapted to todays environment. I believe they see this as the most plausible way of continuing their linage, although I'd be willing to bet they've hedged their own bet by also populating other star systems. Beyond our genetics, they don't need us, because we are from a new time line they created by going back in time and altering the past, so even if we were wiped out entirely, it would not affect them as they are from a time line where future beings did not return. I believe they are already controlling significant aspects of our government and economic system and have used those systems essentially to economically enslave us and use us to service their needs. I believe we can either wake-up and demand our government be responsive to us and not to the elite interfacing with them, or we are to be doomed to a life of servitude. I believe Agenda 21 is not about protecting our planets environment, but rather about a resource grab on their part.

Back