• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

accused witch burned alive...

That's horrible wonder what she did to be coined a witch?

Found some pictures...
26bb685023ce22bb8eff97ba43422d28.jpg

fbd1368210418f1990f127e79ae503b7.jpg

9c9ebf1c0d2fea88b21020d1edc2af87.jpg

"Kakas described the victim's husband as the "prime suspect" and said the man had fled the province. "

How much do you want to bet he (the husband) pulled the old Monty Python " She's A Witch!" trick so he wouldn't have to bother with a divorce?

"wonder what she did.."

probably burned a stick of insense, or swept counter clockwise with her broom. Horrible way for a person to go.. They need to round up all those involved and make an example of them.

The Wicker Man. Jeepers creepers I don't think I can imagine much worse deaths than burned alive.

Whoever burnt this woman in Papua New Guinea, send em to me, and I'll show em what pain is....

Yeah, this is horrible. It also happens all over Africa and can be directly connected to the rise of Christianity in countries like Nigeria and other African provinces due to the missionaries that infect an already superstitious primitive culture with even more superstition, like demons and witches and other such nonsense. There's a great documentary that HBO did about the 100s and 1000s of children, many under 5 years old who have been declared witches by superstitious tribes influenced by missionaries, exorcism is now big business in Nigeria.

Child Witches in Nigeria

09/19/2011
1 Comment

Children abandoned because they are "Witches"

Quick Facts:
• This is not a widely known or discussed topic in African societies
• There has been no comprehensive study to suggest how widespread child witchcraft allegations are.
• Thousands of children have suffered from accusations of being a witch or wizard crimes against this children are on the rise resulting in murder, torture, and human trafficking

The skinny:
Children being accused and marked as wizards/witches has become an increasingly misleading but somewhat common practice in some African countries. With the recent rise in accusations, many children are at risk of being condemned from society, killed, sold into human trafficking, and mutilated. More notably, Nigeria is one of the leading countries where labeling children as witches/wizards is on the rise. “A new UNICEF report warns that children accused of being witches, some as young as eight, have been burned, beaten and even killed as punishment.” (BBC world News Article BBC News - Rise in African children accused of witchcraft ). Labeling a child as a witch is a fairly recent trend in the urban societies contributing to these practices. The economic burden placed on a family to raise a child coupled with religious beliefs, leads many of these families to casting their hardships or blaming their economic situation on the child.Of course, some are set to benefit from the misfortune of these young children.

Many Pastors claim to be able to exorcise these “demons” for a fee. Fees can range anywhere from 250-1000 dollars to practice an exorcism on a child and deliver them from evil. Some Pastors have been known to pour gasoline in the eyes and ears of children to cast out the devil.In turn once a child is accused of being a witch they have almost no where to turn. They are abandoned by their families, run out of their communities, and more times than not tortured and killed. These children live in the shadows of communities fraught with ignorance and strong religious beliefs. Children can be labeled as witches for the most basic and simplistic things such as crying too much. In our society, we understand that infants teeth and tend to catch a mild fevers eliciting crying due to the pain/discomfort. Older children are often blamed for the family’s monetary insufficiencies. These accusations are equivalent to the McCarthyism scare in the 50s. Based on very little evidence, if you are deemed as a witch because a parent cannot take care of you or someone saw you steal a piece of bread to eat, there is no turning back. Once labeled as a witch, many hospitals refuse to treat child victimized by their families and villiages because of the stigma they carry. Many suffer from horrific torture, drowning, burning, etc.​
3197661.jpg
Other notable people involved with this case:
Helen Ukpabio: “One of the most notorious and influential pastors of Liberty Gospel Church. Her 1999 film, the widely distributed, "End of the Wicked" has been attacked by child rights groups for its depictions of Satan possessing children. This film sparked the rise in crimes against children and encouraged communities to seek out and kill witches/wizards. She often is noted at sharing her success stories of how she has driven out demons through deliverance with her congregation.”(Cited from: CNN Site August 25, 2010|By Christian Purefoy,)

What happens now?
There are a few organizations working to harbor these abandoned children but times are proving to be tougher than ever before. With minimal staff and low budgets it has been increasingly hard to assist the growing number of children accused of being witches or wizard. Awareness of what is going on in these rural areas is slowly but surely making its way into mainstream media but not fast enough. There have been laws created for anyone involved in crimes against children however they are loosely enforced at best.

Films/Documentaries to help you understand:
Saving Africa's Witch Children (HBO Documentary): Set in Nigeria this documentary follows some children being cast out of the their villages and features a group, called C.R.A.R.N, trying relentlessly to rectify the situation​

If you're interested in learning more about this, you can watch this follow up to the documentary I mentioned in my previous post. This is what happens when superstition runs rampant, it's a travesty that people in 2013 still believe in this ridiculous garbage:

Accused witch burned alive in Papua New Guinea - Yahoo! News the middle ages are alive and well ...

What I found ironic ( in a tragicomedic sort of way ) is that is when you click the link at the start of that article it opens an advert for Trip Advisor Hotels: "Find Papua New Guinea Reviews and Deals on TripAdvisor!" Yup just the place we'd all want to go for some authentic indonesian cuisine and culture ...

Excuse me ... waiter !
220px-Huli_wigman.jpg

Twentieth century atrocities in the industrialized world have been justified and executed with more complexity and are about as heinous. But I don't know how anyone with a shred of decency could stand by and calmly watch this kind of thing. I don't understand and hope I never do.

Back