• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A Troubling Observation About UFO Reality

Has anyone here ever tried to take a photo of a jet with their cell phone? I keep meaning to try that, to get a sense of the picture quality of a known moving object in the sky, but every time I get a new smartphone I seem to damage the lens within the first week, so I can't try this myself.

But it seems to me that it would be very difficult to get a cell phone to focus on a relatively small (30-50ft) object in the sky from ground level. I've tried to take a photo of the Moon with a digital SLR camera that has a fairly large professional lens, and it appeared very fuzzy and small on the image. So I assume that trying to take a pic of something like a fighter jet, without a huge lens and the professional experience to get it in focus as it's passing by, would be virtually impossible for a typical cell phone user like myself, even in broad daylight.

But I'd love to know for sure.
I've tried to capture all manner of weirdness and non weirdness in the sky with my cell phone and other hand held digital video recorders and cameras with absolutely pathetic success...a few years ago there was a fantastic piece of space junk reentry that was flaming across the sky just above me taking its time kissing the atmosphere. I left friends to watch while I ran in to test the capacity to grab a digital device and capture this great piece of sky visuals and by the time I came back outside and trained it on the object all I got was a very dim orange speck.

While I've had a lengthy history of shooting video and still images I routinely find it very difficult to capture much of use whenever I want to record a sky object. Shooting at night is ridiculous even with good equipment. Without a proper tripod the capacity to even get a nice shot of a plane flying overhead requires a lot of fast effort. Daytime shots are a lot easier to set up, but again, if you don't have a proper lens, even in the world of fully automatic recording equipment, it's not an easy task to capture a functional shot.

As a consequence I've looked at a lot of the historic multiple sequence daytime shots where people are supposedly able to capture two or three good shots of a daytime nuts and bolts ufo and I find them to be total bunk. At least imho these are all forgeries or suspicious at best.

I'm much more interested in the strange one off blurry shots of light blobs with ground radar and visual reports to accompany them - those strike me as being more likely to be a true anomalous object. But then what good is a blob of light? It's not going to make a very good Billy Meier coffee table book is it?

As Vallée has said on a number of occasions, to date we have no single photo that can be collectively agreed upon as an image of a "flying saucer". I also feel there is a huge discrepancy between what a camera can capture vs. what the mind constructs inside as a perceived image.

MAN FIGHTS OFF ALIEN ATTACK ALL NIGHT

This has always been a solid favorite UFO case of mine, as it has many others I'm sure. It has much of the extreme classic UFO encounter elements.

I think it's pertinent to quote the last self described portion of MR. Shrum's experience here: "Mr. Shrum where he was tied in to the tree with his military belt near the top, instantly rendering him unconscious. When he came to from that he was hanging from the branch by his belt, with his head and feet hanging down, and his attackers were gone. Mr. Shrum recalls that it was light out at this point, but the sun was not up yet."

It's interesting to note that Shrum just "woke up" before heading back to camp. There is NO QUESTION that something extremely unusual happened here, and that multiple witnesses saw the "mother ship". However the details contained within the account seem like something straight out of 40s/50s era B Science Fiction movie! Details hardly befitting an interstellar intelligence. Holy DR. Satan's Robots J. Allen!

It's obvious that this case bears out tremendous "high strangeness". Who can deny it? Should we throw the baby out with the bathwater as @ufology suggests? No we shouldn't IMO, anymore than we should throw out ANY other case based merely on what we feel is appropriate with respect to the "truth". I have just received the first half (1950-1979) of Albert Rosales's book series on Humanoid Encounters. It's no surprise to me that I will be reacquainting myself with many accounts that I am already familiar with because I have been reading Albert's work online for a number of years now. These accounts are myriad with the preposterous and zany. Many of which are from reputable everyday people from clergyman, to farm help, to dignitaries. Should we also throw these out?

My point is not to lessen anyone's perspective on the matter, or even the veracity of witness reporting. My point is that this phenomenon cannot be summed up in a mere story line narrative. It's much more confounding and complex than that. It deals with an interactive mechanism relevant to the perception of experiential reality, and beyond that, all bets are off. Are we dealing with an external "alien" or "nonhuman" intelligence? Very possibly. Are we dealing with aspects of reality for which we have no given understanding? Most definitely! :)

The Cisco Grove episode on Project UFO (or Project Blue Book as it was called in my neck of the woods)

The Cisco Grove episode on Project UFO (or Project Blue Book as it was called in my neck of the woods)
OK, that was fucking awesome. I watched the entire episode. I am going to go back on to YouTube now and go DEEP down the Project UFO rabbit hole and watch the other 26 episodes (not all in one sitting obviously). @Creepy Green Light this was gold, GOLD I tell you!

Some comments/observations about this episode...
  • Jack Webb/Sgt. Joe Friday voiceover intro. Just brilliant.
  • Nelson Riddle did the opening theme and the music score! An amazing composer/arranger/bandleader, he worked extensively with Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, and many other household music names of the 50's and 60's.
  • Anthony Geary as "Darryl Biggs." Most famous for his 40 year continuing stint on General Hospital soap opera as "Luke."
  • Dr. Joyce Brothers(!) "stunt casting alert" - astronomer "Dr. Paulson." Probably the first "celebrity psychologist." Seen on Tonight Show w/Johnny Carson, 70's game shows, etc. Was also a real psychology professor at Columbia University (in the 60's or 70's I believe).
  • The final "landing sound" the UFO (seen by Cadet Timmy Delaney) makes at the military academy is the exact sound effect used by the original Star Trek TV series when doors on the ship open/close. (I must be channeling Gene on this one to know that).
  • The robot from the UFO during the "Darryl Biggs" event has a fire extinguisher in its hand to put out fire (convenient) but all it can do to "attack" Darryl Biggs is to literally gently shake the small tree Biggs climbed up in to get away from the robot.
  • Darryl Biggs' quote "I know what I saw!" to the Air Force investigators obviously influenced James Fox to name his UFO documentary.
  • Favorite quote: Outdoorsman and avid bow hunter, Darryl Biggs, after Air Force investigators discover one of his custom-made tempered steel arrowheads with the tip bent back at the alleged scene of the encounter - "I don't know of anything on Earth that could blunt and arrowhead like that!" Really? Nothing on Earth that could bend the tip of an arrow? That you made? By Hand? It is now indestructible?
  • No visible means of propulsion or jet/rocket sound when the Biggs UFO departs but they still cut to shots of Biggs with his hair strongly blowing back.
Clearly I went in hard. This was good stuff. 70s TV. Classic.

OK, that was fucking awesome. I watched the entire episode. I am going to go back on to YouTube now and go DEEP down the Project UFO rabbit hole and watch the other 26 episodes (not all in one sitting obviously). @Creepy Green Light this was gold, GOLD I tell you!

• Nelson Riddle did the opening theme and the music score! An amazing composer/arranger/bandleader, he worked extensively with Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, and many other household music names of the 50's and 60's.
  • Anthony Geary as "Darryl Biggs." Most famous for his 40 year continuing stint on General Hospital soap opera as "Luke."
  • Dr. Joyce Brothers(!) "stunt casting alert" - astronomer "Dr. Paulson." Probably the first "celebrity psychologist." Seen on Tonight Show w/Johnny Carson, 70's game shows, etc. Was also a real psychology professor at Columbia University (in the 60's or 70's I believe).
  • The final "landing sound" the UFO (seen by Cadet Timmy Delaney) makes at the military academy is the exact sound effect used by the original Star Trek TV series when doors on the ship open/close. (I must be channeling Gene on this one to know that).
  • The robot from the UFO during the "Darryl Biggs" event has a fire extinguisher in its hand to put out fire (convenient) but all it can do to "attack" Darryl Biggs is to literally gently shake the small tree Biggs climbed up in to get away from the robot.
  • Darryl Biggs' quote "I know what I saw!" to the Air Force investigators obviously influenced James Fox to name his UFO documentary.
  • Favorite quote: Outdoorsman and avid bow hunter, Darryl Biggs, after Air Force investigators discover one of his custom-made tempered steel arrowheads with the tip bent back at the alleged scene of the encounter - "I don't know of anything on Earth that could blunt and arrowhead like that!" Really? Nothing on Earth that could bend the tip of an arrow? That you made? By Hand? It is now indestructible?
  • No visible means of propulsion or jet/rocket sound when the Biggs UFO departs but they still cut to shots of Biggs with his hair strongly blowing back.
I thought these shows were epic. I remember watching them as a kid, half hiding behind the couch in fear and awe.

So I went back and watched a few episodes. Or tried to. Man, are those effects wild.

Right on. Glad you liked it :)

I thought these shows were epic. I remember watching them as a kid, half hiding behind the couch in fear and awe.

So I went back and watched a few episodes. Or tried to. Man, are those effects wild.
Me too. I remember watching these episodes at my grandparents house when there for sleepovers. My grandfather (who was Captain of the Detective Bureau) would watch them with me. The type of guy he was - I didn't think he'd want to watch but he always did :)

This one is probably one of my favorites. The Desert Springs Incident :)

I've been rewatching these episodes and am having my youth flood back onto me. It's good to watch them now with a more critical eye. These cases and this show promotes an ETH scenario, then defeats it with good government science and then concludes with leaving the door open for ETH to be true often at the end of the episodes. I question greatly the intentions of this show and what kind of strange paradoxes it was trying to plant in the minds of the populace. The one thing for certain is they certainly promote the notion that big brother govt is kind, respectable, highly respectful, thoughtful and will have better answers for us because the public is delusional and doesn't know about ball lightening and temperature inversions.

I've been rewatching these episodes and am having my youth flood back onto me. It's good to watch them now with a more critical eye. These cases and this show promotes an ETH scenario, then defeats it with good government science and then concludes with leaving the door open for ETH to be true often at the end of the episodes. I question greatly the intentions of this show and what kind of strange paradoxes it was trying to plant in the minds of the populace. The one thing for certain is they certainly promote the notion that big brother govt is kind, respectable, highly respectful, thoughtful and will have better answers for us because the public is delusional and doesn't know about ball lightening and temperature inversions.
Agreed. And something else cool that I learned today;

There is a Hollywood insider/actor/musician named Jack Sheldon who appears in the episode "The Desert Springs Incident". He is also the singing voice on that School House Rocks cartoon/song "Conjunction Junction!" and also on the one about how a new bill gets approved in Washington, D.C. Watching his parts in the episode while knowing the above information was kinda cool :)

This episode probably has my favorite ending. They did it very well, IMO :)

Back