• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A Sure-Fire Blockbuster?

First weekend, overseas, and "Avengers" (known as "Avengers Assemble" in the UK to avoid confusion with rhR famous TV series) had a $178.4 million take. Quite an achievement. Nobody is losing money on this one, and I think the real battle will be between this film and "The Dark Knight Rises."

Speaking of which:

I'm showing my age but the British show is the one I always think of. Emma Peel captivated the males of my generation. I was really young but Emma was awesome. A quiet sexuality and class. Good show. ;) On the flip side I was a D.C. Comics fan in my youth. Batman was and still is my favorite of all the superhero's. But, I did enjoy the Iron Man movies although you can have the Green Lantern movie. I like the character, just not the movie they made. But, I think this one will live up the hype.

"Green Lantern" was all right to watch when it made Blu-ray, but I would have never paid for it in the multiplex -- even though that multiplex is a five minute walk from here. Yes, I do remember Diana Rigg/Emma Peel. The attempt to make a movie version years later was, unfortunately, pathetic.

With the amazing box office success of "The Avengers," I suppose Whedon can write his own ticket. But it seems doubtful a "Firefly" sequel or reboot would ever happen.

The Avengers is an interesting film for many reasons. On the marketing and writing side, it's an episode in a franchise, a sequel to solo films and the 1st installment in a new series all in one. Looking at it just as a sequel, it accomplishes many things: tells a new story, presents new challenges to the players, and provides a test to their very character.

Other films dealing with this many characters have left some players acting just as spear carriers. The Avengers makes great use of each character, allowing each of them to shine. The audience I was with was laughing, clapping and cheering along with this film- I haven't heard a reaction like that since the original Star Wars trilogy.

Weirdly, I am really looking forward to MIBIII. I think that this a fun silly franchise and the films are like really expensive b-movies.

Also looking forwarded to Total Recall. Big fan of the original and when asked by friends how long I am going on vacation for I always say "twoooooooo weeeeekssssss".

Not that I have a clue what would make a blockbuster. I thought "John Carter" was a good idea, having read the original Edgar Rice Burroughs novels as a teenager. But making a 100-year-old fantasy novel play for a 2012 audience who never heard of Burroughs, except maybe for Tarzan, was always a hard sell. But I will rent the Blu-ray, I suppose.

I think "Men in Black 3" will do decently, ditto for the Spiderman reboot. The real competition will likely be between "Avengers" and "Dark Knight Rises," and I do hope that Christopher Nolan didn't decide to kill off Batman at the end. Maybe runs off with Catwoman? :)

The Avengers was a fun flick. :cool: I am a huge Batman fan from childhood. Comics, original series (well, the Adam West series) it wasn't actually the original. :p I do hope we get another actor however. Christian Bale just didn't quite have the presence imo. Anyway, I'm a Justice League of America type guy. But, the Avengers was really good. Also, when it comes to movies I'm easy to please. A book has to grab me and I have to think about it through the day or I know I'm not into it. But, all I ask of a movie is action, eye candy and don't bore me.

Back