• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A poll! Not paranormal at all.

tyder001

Paranormal Adept
First this is a little self serving and not paranormal at all. But, I'm trying to understand if I am completely out of touch. I am 54 and active and I thought a good judge of proper behaviour in public. However, some co workers and I disagree on an incident today. Wondered how people here would handle it and any obersvations and maybe even state your age if you don't mind.

O.k. here is the incident. I was at a store about to buy a gift card for a Kindle. The person in front of me was a lady of maybe 40 to 50 something years old. The clerk was maybe 25 to 30 years old. The lady pays for her purchase and gets a phone call. She pulls out her phone and starts talking and stands blocking the register. I ask the clerk if she is finished and he says "yes." So, I start to hand him my money and he stops me and says "you will have to wait until she moves." I then tossed the card on the counter and told him to "keep it" and walked out. The lady has the audacity to follow me out of the store and say "I was finished" at which I said "Maam you were rude" and walked on to my car. Now, my co workers say I should have not gotten angry at the clerk and should have asked the woman to move out of the way. I disagree because I felt it was the clerks job to say excuse me maam I have to let this customer pay for his item. I do think I should have just let it go and not said anything to anybody but here is the problem. I am old school and don't think people should talk loudly in public places on their cell phones or play their stero until my windows rattle or use the f word in front of children in public. I am out of touch I guess because it appears to be the norm these days. I have lived from Alabama to Colorado to Hawaii and have noticed a dumbing down and a complete collapse of personal space. On one hand it's great that the south and the north and the east and the west in this nation are becoming more homoginized and less isolated. On the other hand the lack of decorum and personal space and courtesy is sickening. So, how do some of you see it? Was the clerk at all at fault or did I put him in a bad situation? Was I completely rude to have said anything at all to the lady or should I have spoken to her sooner? Is the whole thing much ado about nothing. Finally, should I just accept the "new rules" of society?

I would have told the lady to get out of the way so that I could pay for my stuff. I would have taken pleasure in interrupting her stupid phone conversation. I can't stand people using their damn phones when it causes them to get in the way of others.

i agree with angel. i would have delighted in interrupting her phone call to let her know how rude she was. i probably would have leaned in close and loud so that her caller would have heard it too.
or.... i might have leaned in very close and made a fart noise.

i agree with angel. i would have delighted in interrupting her phone call to let her know how rude she was. i probably would have leaned in close and loud so that her caller would have heard it too.
or.... i might have leaned in very close and made a fart noise.

That made me lol.

I'm 44, and I agree with you that this is annoying situation. I also think it has to do with the dumbing down of America, but it's also peoples self absorption and lack of courtesy for others. I probably would have finished my transaction (depending on the day), but would have said "excuse me, would you please move." After waiting to see if she got the hint from what the clerk said. The clerk should have started ringing up your purchase if she wasn't going to move in my opinion, or should have asked her to move so you wouldn't have to. Bad customer service on the clerk's part, bad behavior on her part.

Makes me ask what has happened to our culture when everyone's so self absorbed. Still there are good people out there.

I'm heading towards a half century on earth, and i would have interupted the phone user, and i would have been scathing in doing so, something along the lines of "Do you mind not blocking the register, how bloody inconsiderate" in the tone i usually use to tell my dogs to get out of the way if they block my path.

I'm a real terror at the local supermarket, if someone blocks the isle, they soon get an earful.

The clerk had a natural reaction imo, of taking a path of no resistance, he/she has a vested interest in the matter that being his/her job.
In terms of a complaint to the manager, it was the lessor of two evils, if you complained, he can point to the fact that the lady was the one who annoyed you not him, but if she complains that the clerk was rude to her he/she has no way out of that scenario.

I think you did the right thing by walking away from the situation, as a customer the only power you have is where and when you part with your hard earned money.
The way I deal/cope with these types of rude people is schadenfreude. in other words I pity them and think how many times being polite has helped me.
Although I am only 30 I am quite traditional and old school in some ways especially in terms of manners and think they are very important.

Here is a video that might cheer you up (I know from personal experience how much rudeness can ruin your day!)

Well Tyder001, I am about as old school as you are, and would have probably stood there in line, waited for the lady to have left, and then when I was checking out, inform the clerk that I pray next time he should be more involved in moving the line so that others can take advantage of the time we have left on this earth as well. I'd make some snide colloquialism like, "and since the Mayan's might have meant that we won't to be here past 2012, don't you think I'm justified in taking advantage of every solitary second of TIME I can get! LOL!

I wouldn't have given him the pleasure of throwing down the card and leaving because that wouldn't have given yours truly the pleasure of telling him off in such a nice and "politically correct" manner.

In my opinion it wasn't the lady's fault because she probably wasn't thinking of anything but her phone call and we are all guilty of that. Let's face it, we are all cattle within a giant herd of what I like to call the, "reprovingly shopping challenged" when in stores, and the isles and the cash registers are set up to move the herd out as fast as possible with the least amount of resistance necessary.

She was thinking kind of like a rogue cow in need of corralling.

Ohhh stop me.....:rolleyes:

Yeah, people seem to be using technology more and more as non-assertive power display. Distraction is a great cover. I might have asked if her if she felt she needed any help with her phone call.

I am of your generation Tyder001. I agree with what you have said. I would have been torn. To do what you did or to cause a loud scene (GET THE @!#$%! OUT OF THE WAY!!).
I notice there is also a big trend for people to either turn their carts semi diagonally in stores blocking the aisles. Or they stand next to the side of the cart - blocking the aisle. I would like to pass along my husband's tip for dealing with Walmartians and others who block the aisle or wander aimlessly. Its sort of like "chicken" on the road way. Take your cart and look to the right or left as you approach the road hog. Do not look at them, just keep moving. They will move.
One day, I was minding my own business in a store or other business (I can't remember the exact location). A man about 40, who looked perfectly normal, ran right into me. There was nothing nearby that would have caused him to do this. He didn't excuse himself or anything. It was in somewhat of an open area. I waited a bit and then took my large purse and walked right into him. I have to say he nearly fell on the ground and looked dumbfounded. I didn't bother to excuse myself either.
As they say, they walk among us.

I know exactly how to handle the situation. First I would . . . oh wait, my cell phone is ringing . . . . . . . . . just wait, I have a good way to handle these things but hold on a sec . . . . . . . . damn calling waiting . . . . . don't go away . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I need to take this call and I'll be right back to you . . . . . .

Depending on how i felt at the time i would have either acted the same as you, tyder or i would have loudly said "EXCUSE ME!" to the lady and then turned to the checkout chick/bloke and said something like, "that's okay, i'll just do your job for you shall I?"

I'm not a fan of using cell phones while in queue. I think it's quite rude. As part of my job I deal with the public on a daily basis. If one of them comes to me whilst having a cell phone conversation, I will simply tell them..."I'll wait until you're done, it's rude of me to interrupt." And I'll ignore them until they are done. After all, I don't answer my cell when I'm helping them.

I once heard that politeness is the air in the tires of everyday life. In the same vein, I believe that rudeness and disrespect are the potholes on our everyday life path. I'll not say whether your actions were proper or not Tyder. But I can say this, my actions would not have been nice, and the cellphone lady would have gotten out of the way pretty quickly had I been there.

Back