• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mars Anomalies

rohnds said:
Purpose of this topic is as same as in many different aspect of this field (UFO phenomenon). Informing the public and let the them decide and interpret for themselves what in those photo.
It doesn't matter what people interpret it as. What they decide about the photo means SQUAT. People look at the story of UFO's and decide they exist or they don't. But fortunately opinions don't mean a damn thing.

rohnds said:
This is not rocket science where I have to explain what is one the photo. A skull should be just what it is. If there is disagreement in that interpretation, debating it useless unless everyone has the ability to examine the object.

Rohn

A thingy that looks like a skull doesn't make it a skull. Ask Hoagland about the "face". Wait a minute don't ask him. Ask pretty much everyone else. Examining photos don't mean anything unless they are put in proper context.

And yes, this basically IS rocket science, in the sense that there are complicated things going on such as transmissions of photos, pixelations, enlargements, cropping, computer generated enhancements and other things. So just because you put a photo of a skull-like feature doesn't mean anything!

And if talking about these photos is useless, then why do you continue to post them?? If you don't have anything to say in support or criticism of them, then I suggest we end this thread.

And Fitzbew88, at least you have something to say about these and I tend to agree with you. I mean this is a forum, a place to share and DISCUSS, at least some of us are having some dialog.

Again I stress, it doesn't matter what you see. Making up your mind based on a picture is unrealistic and illogical, unless you have more evidence to back the image. Yet people do this all the time. The more "Mars anomalies" I see without further evidence, the more I think this is a ploy to prey on unsuspecting believers. And the more I think it is all just Mars bunk.

Astroboy said:
rohnds said:
1810315242_159cd1b228.jpg

Source:http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/2/p/527/2P173156766EFFACA0P2440L7M1.JPG
Here is a classic anomaly we found. I don't think I have to hold anyone's hand and point out what this resembles.

Rohn

Please hold my hand. I don't know what it is.

Could it be a crab claw? Maybe it's the ruins of an ancient seafood buffet.

Or it could be an oddly shaped monkey wrench :D

If you squint hard enough it looks a bit like Burt Reynolds too :D ...

The human being can make shapes and patterns out of anything. Whether or not these things are artifacts of any kind will only be resolved when men go to Mars and look at these things first hand.

Until then they could be absolutely anything ... but I'm putting my money on the Burt Reynolds thing :D

TClaeys said:
...And Fitzbew88, at least you have something to say about these and I tend to agree with you. I mean this is a forum, a place to share and DISCUSS, at least some of us are having some dialog.

Well, I confess this thread has really triggered some hot button with me.

I see it as the worst example of why the UFO field (and possibly the paranormal field as a whole) has "failed". Specifically, some of the image postings carry a presumption of paranormality. Every fiber of my being screams we must proceed in the other direction to make any headway: we must assume that everything is normal until there is evidence otherwise.

Also, the manner of some of the postings has irked me in an extreme manner: they are presented as "revelations" and not points for exploration. In fact, some of the postings carry a signal that there is nothing really to discuss, that any idiot can see these are pyramids, skulls, and crab-claws. The poster won't be drawn into debate --- that's a waste of time.

So, anyway, I have been sort've cruel in some of my postings and I apologize if I have offended anybody.

TClaeys said:
Again I stress, it doesn't matter what you see. Making up your mind based on a picture is unrealistic and illogical, unless you have more evidence to back the image. Yet people do this all the time. The more "Mars anomalies" I see without further evidence, the more I think this is a ploy to prey on unsuspecting believers. And the more I think it is all just Mars bunk.

I don't know what the intent of some of the postings may be (i.e., whether the intent is nefarious) but I'm positive that some kid is going to look at some of these photos and automatically take them at face value. He/she will go into tomorrow absolutely convinced that they've seen proof of life on Mars. And chances are they just saw a funny rock.

Mars has obviously had a rich geological and possibly biological history and it is perfectly possible Spirit or Opportunity could climb a rise one day soon and take a picture of something that will change all of us. But it's going to have to be something clear and precise, and unmistakable. Not some funny looking rock.

Here's an image that was brought up on Fark.com tonight (accompanied by a Bigfoot joke), but it is a real NASA picture:

littleman.jpg

Here is a link to the original NASA photo, which was taken by Spirit before it had left it's landing vehicle (a very large image):

Original NASA Photo

The "item", presumably an odd-shaped rock, is only a few inches tall.

fitzbew88 said:
Here's an image that was brought up on Fark.com tonight (accompanied by a Bigfoot joke), but it is a real NASA picture:

Ok ... maybe not Burt Reynolds ... but how about Sir Alec Guiness then ... Obi-Wan Kenobi ... Star Wars?? :p

(Maybe i should leave the room again :D)

I guess it's already been posted...nevermind

Just saw this on the news:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=509693&in_page_id=1770

I think it's all over the net now?

Anybody seen it?

fitzbew88 said:

littleman.jpg

Here is a link to the original NASA photo, which was taken by Spirit before it had left it's landing vehicle (a very large image):

Original NASA Photo

Hello I'm an anomalous mars object, and i'm getting a kick out of these replies.

HAIL FARK

Mas Anomalies

erehwon said:
rohnds said:
Here is a wooden beam that Opportunity ran on Sol 115.

1827189204_4886d35f1a.jpg

closeup of the object,
1827189626_e2641a99ee.jpg

Rohn

"Wooden" is an unfortunate simile. It may look wooden, but that is all.

Well that does indeed look like petrified wood ... or a giant Cadbury Flake ... but what why would it be just ... lying there like some piece of driftwood?? The sooner we get to Mars the better methinks.

Mas Anomalies

schticknz said:
erehwon said:
rohnds said:
Here is a wooden beam that Opportunity ran on Sol 115.

1827189204_4886d35f1a.jpg

closeup of the object,
1827189626_e2641a99ee.jpg

Rohn

"Wooden" is an unfortunate simile. It may look wooden, but that is all.

Well that does indeed look like petrified wood ... or a giant Cadbury Flake ... but what why would it be just ... lying there like some piece of driftwood?? The sooner we get to Mars the better methinks.

It's a slab of sedimentary-type(?) rock blasted out of the crater in the upper part of the panoramic view. There are several like it in the panorama, partially obscured by sand.

We may one day find petrified remains of life on Mars, but I'll wager it's not going to be laying around like this.

To my own eyes, it's not shaped like a piece of wood, nor does the texture look like any wood I've ever seen. To me, it looks like a slab of rock with the end sticking out of the sand.

I'm worried that True Believers are suggesting to us that it is wood, hoping that some of us will automatically believe it.

Here's a link to a high-res photo of the panorama:
Panorama

I'll defer to the biologists, but I gotta feeling Mars would be a lousy place for large, photosynthesis-based life forms. (i.e., life forms relying on wood for structure.)

That high res panorama just confirms my thoughts. There is nothing stunningly anomalous about it. Perhaps geologists would be interested in it, but I dont think it shows evidence of civilization.

My favorite Martian face:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2086/2236216911_251715b845_o.jpg

Attachments

• happy martian.jpg
    happy martian.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 3
Astroboy said:
My favorite Martian face:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2086/2236216911_251715b845_o.jpg

Acid House on Mars...now that is something:)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/earth/2008/02/04/scimars104.xml

Mas Anomalies

fitzbew88 said:
David Biedny said:
...that's clearly one single contiguous strip of image data, and it does indeed look to be a connected form of some kind in that image, IMO.

Interestingly, this is how my eye registers it now that the power of suggestion is removed:

mars_artifiact2.jpg

For the life of me, I see nothing connecting these two areas of the Martian desert. To my eye, all the terrain between the two areas just looks like random terrain features.

It seems to me that the upper right corner of the "square" descends to the "south" and then joins another ridge going off to photo-east. It doesn't continue on toward to the lower left corner.

What an intriguing study of human perception.
are you kidding me? i didnt know michael shermer was a member of this forum.

there is an obvious connecting, rectangular shape subtly present underneath the sand.....it could just so happen that it's two seperate formations...one with a blatant right angle, and the other with what appears to be a right angle which form a rectangle.....

its also possible that....gasp....there is a rectangular formations UNDERNEATH the sand in which some areas are completely covered.

....and as for the first image, how the heck are ANY of you seeing a crater inside a crater? you're all photographic experts, but you dont understand the concept of lightsources and shadows? clearly, the circular formation inside the crater is protruding OUTward, not inward.

Mas Anomalies

cmbezln said:
fitzbew88 said:
For the life of me, I see nothing connecting these two areas of the Martian desert. To my eye, all the terrain between the two areas just looks like random terrain features.

It seems to me that the upper right corner of the "square" descends to the "south" and then joins another ridge going off to photo-east. It doesn't continue on toward to the lower left corner.

What an intriguing study of human perception.

are you kidding me? i didnt know michael shermer was a member of this forum.

Well, there's no need to be insulting.

cmbezln said:
there is an obvious connecting, rectangular shape subtly present underneath the sand.....it could just so happen that it's two seperate formations...one with a blatant right angle, and the other with what appears to be a right angle which form a rectangle.....

its also possible that....gasp....there is a rectangular formations UNDERNEATH the sand in which some areas are completely covered.

Dude, if it's "completely covered" that means there is nothing in the picture. Your imagination is filling in the blanks.

I see nothing connecting these two areas. Just random topography, overlaid by the power of a True Believer's suggestion.

If you want to use your mind to draw lines that aren't there, then you can see whatever you want.

This is the problem: people see what they want to see.

We may yet find astonishing things on Mars, possibly even LIFE -- or even evidence of past life. There is no need to make stuff up.

It's not trees. Mac Tonnies thought so too but it turns out (as he told me) that it's just rock formations.

Hold your horses people. It could of course still be coral. Remember that there were large bodies of water on Mars a while back (or have they changed that scenario ... again) and coral may have formed.

Just total speculation on my part but until we get to Mars properly we can't truly know what it is or isn't.

(I can hear the coral expert in the audience shuffling his foot and yelling wild and probably violent things at his monitor :D)

As Mr Beidny has so beautifully demonstrated with his link to this example
http://www.christopherkenworthy.com/ufo.html

photographs dont constitute "proof" of anything, and i think thats the underlying drive behind the "disclosure" sentiment we see hundreds of photos, but at the end of the day compelling as some seem, they just cant flip that internal beleive lever in the minds of those who look at such things with clarity and reason.

i would say though that if i was looking at a shot of the earth and it had the features shown in the "building" i would definatly send an feild unit out to do some digging at my soonest conveinence

and i think thats the value of the mars photos and the debate, regardless of what we "see" in the photo, we will at least have a "list of questions" when we send a feild team there,which seems more logical than landing and exploring at random

Back