• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mars Anomalies

rohnds

Skilled Investigator
Lets start with this famous one.
2003428999_e22d40ac1a.jpg

Rohn

Mas Anomalies

All I see are just normal craters with eroded central uplifts.

The Moon has a million of them, although they're not so eroded for obvious reasons.

Mas Anomalies

Would you two like to explain how they are formed.

Let me get this right. You 2 noted a asteroid or meteor impact looking at the 2nd photo? How?

I thought asteroid or meteor impact look like this ...

abb10.jpg

barringer-arizona.jpg

Rohn

Mas Anomalies

After you guys have explained how the above 2 formations were created by asteroid and meteor impact (and then natural erosions), take a look at this comparison

2004225394_d5648d4c3c.jpg

Rohn

Mas Anomalies

rohnds said:
After you guys have explained how the above 2 formations were created by asteroid and meteor impact (and then natural erosions), take a look at this comparison

The basic idea is that a high velocity "object" hits the ground. The object's kinetic energy is turned into heat which melts the soil --- the soil (in a temporary liquid state) rebounds vertically --- bouncing back from the impact. If it cools fast enough it leaves a hemispherical formation (an uplift) in the center of the crater.

Add in a few hundred million years of erosion, and you get what you are looking at on Mars.

On the Moon, where there is no atmosphere, these craters do not experience significant erosion and they can stay in a very pristine state. Just take a pair of 8x-10x binoculars out and look at the Moon the next time it is visible and you'll see a million of them.

The high velocity "object" could be a meteor, a comet, --- even falling debris from another strike elsewhere on the planet. The nature of the object will impact the nature of the crater. The object could explode in the air and the crater would be formed by an explosive force. Or it could be ice when it hits. Or it could be a rock.

Crashing alien spacecraft usually leave diagonal lines, from where they fired their reverse thrusters at the last second in a desperate attempt to save themselves. (Earth is not on a lot of the older interstellar maps and this has caused no end of awkward discussions at Intergalactic Council meetings.)

Mas Anomalies

fitzbew88 said:
The basic idea is that a high velocity "object" hits the ground. The object's kinetic energy is turned into heat which melts the soil --- the soil (in a temporary liquid state) rebounds vertically --- bouncing back from the impact. If it cools fast enough it leaves a hemispherical formation (an uplift) in the center of the crater.
At velocity does this happen. There are crater on Earth (2nd photo I posted) and every other planet. Yet I have not seen this anywhere else. Care to explain why?

Rohn

Mas Anomalies

rohnds said:
At velocity does this happen.

Yes.

rohnds said:
There are crater on Earth (2nd photo I posted) and every other planet. Yet I have not seen this anywhere else. Care to explain why?

Well, I'd hazard a guess you just haven't bothered to look at the Moon using some decent binoculars.

You should be able to find images of any closely-photographed planet/moon ( which has little atmosphere ) with similar features in craters.

Here's a picture of Mercury showing many craters with central uplifts.
Mercury

Now, if you don't mind, my dilithium crystals are slightly misaligned and I've got to get back on it. Our Chief Engineer is a real stickler and I don't want to get on his bad side.

Mas Anomalies

fitzbew88 said:
rohnds said:
At velocity does this happen.

Yes.

rohnds said:
There are crater on Earth (2nd photo I posted) and every other planet. Yet I have not seen this anywhere else. Care to explain why?

Well, I'd hazard a guess you just haven't bothered to look at the Moon using some decent binoculars.

You should be able to find images of any closely-photographed planet/moon ( which has little atmosphere ) with similar features in craters.

Mercury

Now, if you don't mind, my dilithium crystals are slightly misaligned and I've got to get back on it. Our Chief Engineer is a real stickler and I don't want to get on his bad side.

He also hasn't explained or backed up his conclusions, yet expects us to give details about ours.

Mas Anomalies

rohnds said:
Here is a wooden beam that Opportunity ran on Sol 115.

1827189204_4886d35f1a.jpg

closeup of the object,
1827189626_e2641a99ee.jpg

Rohn

I dont see wood. I also dont see evidence for any forests on Mars. I think I see either striations or sedimentary layers that are exposed. I do not see that it is overtly anomalous. At first glance it does stand out in the broader image. However, when I looked at the image more closely I see that we are staring at a crater. I have circled the top of the crater in the image below.

crater.jpg

I think that this suggests that this is simply sedimentary rock ejected from the crater on impact. I have not had a geology class in many years so I reserve the right to be proven wrong. to further strengthen my case, you can see many other darker spots in the image. These could also be ejected rocks.

As an afterthought, it would be nice to know the scale so that we can determine the size of the "beam".

Mas Anomalies

rohnds said:
Lets start with this famous one.
2003428999_e22d40ac1a.jpg

Rohn
I don't see why that's an anomaly. With all the craters on Mars formed over billions of years, you're likely to get one inside the other from time to time.

Mas Anomalies

Mercury
Thats a joke to compare the two.

He also hasn't explained or backed up his conclusions, yet expects us to give details about ours.
I haven't because I don't how this could have happened. You provided an explanation and now I need details such as velocity ranges, soil type and etc to confirm that theory.

Rohn

Mas Anomalies

Here is one of our favorite finds.
anihx1.gif

Source:http://ida.wr.usgs.gov/html/e10004/e1000462.html

Rohn

EDIT:
added the link

Mas Anomalies

donthizz said:
what so special about that?
You show me a natural formation with perfect right angled edges (90deg) and perfect square. Then I will admit this is a natural formation.

Next look at the formation itself. It seem you have something buried underneath which happen to be square in shape.

Rohn

Mas Anomalies

How do I see the adjacent images? I think you would need 4 or 5 contiguous images to discern if this is just an odd convergence of ridges conbined with dunes. Still, it is a very interesting image. However, the topograhy doesnt look to lend iteslf to construction an Im not sure if this lies in a crater or an ancient magma upwelling of some sort.

Back