• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mars Anomalies

schticknz said:
Hold your horses people. It could of course still be coral. Remember that there were large bodies of water on Mars a while back (or have they changed that scenario ... again) and coral may have formed.

I don't think "coral" is going to stand up well to the Martian environment, oceans notwithstanding. On Earth, coral is a shockingly fragile assembly of many kinds of aquatic life.

I think first you should convince me that it is not wind-sculpted rocks, before engaging in wild speculations.

schticknz said:
Just total speculation on my part but until we get to Mars properly we can't truly know what it is or isn't.

Why in the world do you think we can't rule some things out now? I think I can rule out trees and coral.

fitzbew88 said:
schticknz said:
Hold your horses people. It could of course still be coral. Remember that there were large bodies of water on Mars a while back (or have they changed that scenario ... again) and coral may have formed.

I don't think "coral" is going to stand up well to the Martian environment, oceans notwithstanding. On Earth, coral is a shockingly fragile assembly of many kinds of aquatic life.

I think first you should convince me that it is not wind-sculpted rocks, before engaging in wild speculations.

schticknz said:
Just total speculation on my part but until we get to Mars properly we can't truly know what it is or isn't.

Why in the world do you think we can't rule some things out now? I think I can rule out trees and coral.

You could be very well right with what you say. I am speculating after all ... I've got no evidence whatsoever to say that it IS coral ... I just had the thought that it looked fairly like coral, and thought I would add to the discussion.

However, one should never close the book on something completely.

Where is your evidence to show that Martian coral is similar to Earth coral???

Mars has some seriously odd geological processes going on. Who's to say that it hasn't had some seriously odd biological processes going on in the past.

Maybe the coral produced on Mars was/were made of sterner stuff??? I have absolutely no idea. But we will not know until we (actually) get there. Until then, pretty much everything is debatable in my opinion.

In regards to this rectangular structure, I think that you have to look at the topography and ask yourself if it makes sense for an artificial structure to be here. We have all see the cropped image on this so called “structure”. Lets step back and take a more in depth look at this.

For all the images here, I grabbed them from this site: http://ida.wr.usgs.gov/html/e10004/e1000462.html

Then I used my very limited Photoshop ability to help make my points.

1 - The big picture. The red circle seems to be showing a large magma upwelling probably as a result of a meteor impact or small volcano. I could very easily be wrong about this and it could just be an eroded crater. Either way, we see that the green rectangle inside the blue circle highlights the strip of photos in this capture sequence. The “structure” in question is from the top most section of the strip. Already, I would have to say by looking at the big picture, this is probably one of the worst areas on the entire Martian surface to look for a structure. I think that when you look at the angular structure of that ridge wall in this image you can easily see that it is feasible that this is a natural formation.

big_picture.jpg

2 - The You can see the ripple of the ground topography as you get closer to the edge boundary of the crater. This makes a series of peaks and troughs. In the image of the “structure” you can see that it lies along the ridgeline of one of these peaks. You can see this if you look at the blue arrows in the following image.

slice-1-a.jpg

3 - There is other similar geology in the immediate area that is very clearly not going to be confused with a structure of any sort. This is denoted by the red encircled areas. Also, note appearance of the rock in these areas (highlighted by the yellow line). It is the same, semi porous appearance. Thus lending more support to this being a naturally occurring formation.

slice-1-b.jpg

4 – The Math. Assuming I read the site correctly, and that is a big assumption, this structure is over a mile wide. To get this number I took the information from the website that said the image resolution was 6.08 meters/pixel. I assumed that this was for the raw sized images contained within the green rectangle. Otherwise it would have referred to the resolution of the main image in which case the structure is only 62 feet wide. I decided to go big. Either way, big or small, it would not have withstood all the forces at work in this creating this crater.

not_likely.jpg

This is simply not a good place for a structure this big. It just does not make good sense. If you are going to build something this huge, it is going to be in a place of stable geology. This area is just not a viable site for such a building. Of course this is just my opinion.

schticknz said:
You could be very well right with what you say. I am speculating after all ... I've got no evidence whatsoever to say that it IS coral ... I just had the thought that it looked fairly like coral, and thought I would add to the discussion.

If you don't have a reason to believe it is "coral", why for the love of Pete are you saying it. Are you a True Believer? That is to say, everything is paranormal until proven otherwise? Sorry, but most of us assume phenomena is not paranormal until there is evidence to suggest otherwise.

schticknz said:
However, one should never close the book on something completely.

Let's close the book on trees and coral.

schticknz said:
Where is your evidence to show that Martian coral is similar to Earth coral???

I am saying that it is NOT CORAL.

schticknz said:
Mars has some seriously odd geological processes going on.

Like what?

schticknz said:
Who's to say that it hasn't had some seriously odd biological processes going on in the past.

Why don't we assume there is none until we find some; in particular, let's not make any Martian biology out of rocks.

schticknz said:
I have absolutely no idea.

Thank you, I had deduced this.

schticknz said:
But we will not know until we (actually) get there. Until then, pretty much everything is debatable in my opinion.

Why do you think we can't rule out coral and trees?

We ARE [virtually] there. What do we see? Wind-sculpted rocks. No coral, no trees, nothing. No signs of life. Just some methane in the atmosphere, which might mean there are microbes somewhere. No need to imagine up super-coral.

And, no, I don't think blind speculation without a hint of logic behind it is helpful at all. As a matter of fact, it is unhelpful --- True Believers will read it and automatically believe it.

Back