• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

J.C. Johnson January 26, 2014

I do enjoy these episodes for "fun" and don't take it very seriously. Sometimes I think hearing these "stories" is valuable only in the sense that if someday, somehow, somebody comes up with a substantiated sighting or photo of one of these creatures, we have a past reference point. Until then, they are simply stories with no substantiation.

I do get annoyed however when I hear about a supposed on-going 5 year long bigfoot encounter that doesn't produce any photo, video or audible evidence. I mean, if it was my family and a bigfoot was pooping in my trees and calling out in the night for my daughter over a period of years, I'd damn sure try to catch it and get some evidence.

Also, if we have a known area where a bigfoot is stalking a family why wouldn't J.C. or some other investigator want to set up trail cameras and other equipment to try and catch some evidence. It seems like alot of these investigators don't actually want to catch a bigfoot or prove that a bigfoot exists.

I was debating posting something similar. If you hate the subject so much why even listen? The only thing posts like his are good for is adding noise.

I had Lance as my first and only forum poster on ignore. Either Gene has upgraded the forum software or something is bugged because I can see his posts again.

This is just my opinion nothing more:

I think that the more people (sceptics) included that study "paranormal" matters the better, surely if the ultimate goal is to discover the "truth" the greater the number and quality of minds the better?

If I am totally honest I am staggered by the lack of imagination and dexterity demonstrated by some "hardcore believers", and genuinely believe that if I wanted to, I could explain how they could improve their "arguments", but I am aware that knowledge is a power that should be wielded responsibly, and I do not feel that my "insight" would be used for "good".

(I am acutely aware of how "arrogant" the above statement sounds, but I feel it needs to be said)

The more I think back on this episode the more bogus it all seems. When Johnson and his son are hiding behind a boulder and they pop out to see a giant gila monster, did no one have a camera, video camera or a smartphone that could take photos or video?

I know that would be the first thing I would do if a so-called monster was facing me. That no one questioned Johnson about a video device is even more damning.

Even though I thought the vast majority of this episode was bogus hearsay, and the lack of evidence wasnt addressed... I am totally shocked, amazed and pleased that someone(Gene) FINALLY asked about being armed when searching for Bigfoot, squatch, etc. After all, we are talking about a large, muscular creature. It is the unthinkable to me to go into the forest without a firearm...and Im not searching for bigfoot!
To me, whenever someone tells a story about a sighting, and the issue of firearms isnt addressed....my bullshit alarm goes off.
And come on...lets be honest here.... an actual bigfoot BODY would shut everyone up. For Christ's sake...shoot one! Or at least say you took a shot at one.

I enjoyed this episode, but I also found the idea that a farm family would live with an horny adolecent Bigfoot hanging out in their yard all night Unarmed to be utterly ridiculous.

I'm flying to Arizona tomorrow with my pistol and dreading to TSA crap I'll be forced to endure. The hassle will be worth it because sleeping in the desert near the Mexican border unarmed is retarded, more so with cryptids lurking around.

I enjoyed this episode, but I also found the idea that a farm family would live with an horny adolecent Bigfoot hanging out in their yard all night Unarmed to be utterly ridiculous.

I'm flying to Arizona tomorrow with my pistol and dreading to TSA crap I'll be forced to endure. The hassle will be worth it because sleeping in the desert near the Mexican border unarmed is retarded, more so with cryptids lurking around.

I had the same thought...to live on a ranch with giant hairy monsters lurking nearby and NOT have a gun?? Right about then my BS alarm was really WHOOOPing.

The only way to understand this episode is as campfire tale. J.C. is like Brad Steiger after a bottle of bourbon. This also reminded me of an old C2C episode where there is enough yarn spun to knit sweaters for a family of Bigfoot. This kind of stuff is best to listened to late at night while it's raining outside. Werewolves, weirwolves, Navajo voodoo darts, giant snakes, dogmen and dinosaurs all running around together, free-ranging with every paranormal paradigm you can squereze into an episode - to quote Gene, it was a wild and wooly ride, literally. Don't waste time on the fact-checker as this is pure entertainment. I don't think it's fair to expect a show like this to hold a hard line with all guests, especially not friends & allies. That's just part of the deal. If all the guests got grilled there'd be nothing left for the griddle in the morning.

Shebawithchildrensm.jpg

Watch out for those rogue BF males. They eat their children!

Last edited:
I am also amazed that while JC was visiting the farm where big foot visits on a very regular basis, sits in trees and makes "mating calls" not one bit of hard evidence has been produced. If I were investigating such a "real and ongoing occurrence" as suggested by JC, I'd have cameras and sound equipment set up all over the place and would not leave until I have got the proof.
Guys don't allow yourselves to be drawn into these fairy tale camp fire stories.
Ask the hard questions as you normally do. I would have asked "why didn't you spend more time at the farm house until you got your evidence?"
You and I both know if this was a true story with hard evidence, it would make world headlines.
Love your work.

There's no point asking why J.C. didn't collect any evidence of anything he's ever experienced. The man tells lies, plain and simple - None of what he said actually happened. Even the true believers in this forum are skeptical of his claims.

The real question is - as Lance said - how can Gene and Chris keep claiming that the Paracast "asks the tough questions" when they clearly don't? At best, J.C. does nothing to move the study of the paranormal forward, and at worst, he holds it back by muddying the waters. He's no different than those "twins" they keep complaining about.

As someone who claims to be a paranormal researcher, Chris shouldn't be entertained by the likes of J.C., he should be down right offended.

And really who's being the bigger dick? Skeptics who call out these kinds of things or those who think to themselves, "entertain me with your store,s you lying windbag" all the while, nodding their heads in agreement to his face?

Lance

Lance,
There is no question that "calling someone out" that is making ridiculous claims is cool. When you do the world a GREAT favor as you did with Phil, that's even cooler. That's what skepticism should be all about. A relentless guard tempered by what is "cool". It's the lying windbag part and judging the believers as if they were you that's completely useless. IMO, that's not cool. Being a dickhead in science has sadly become the norm. It's extremely detrimental and it's turning youth away by the droves. Why? Belief systems and their relation the core ID's survival mechanism.

Not sure you are understanding, Jeff. What many folks seem to be saying is that they know Johnson is full or it but they don't care because he entertains them.

But see Lance, that's normal for some people and their type of brain orientation. Those with a little more of the right side than the left tend to find favor with the type of adventuresome pictures going upstairs as these tales unravel. They just find the stories entertaining much like they would if they were to watch a horror or fantasy movie. It's all dismissed post the show and I frankly don't know anyone that would extoll the amazing fact that a new species of giant Tegu or Gila had been discovered. It's the "ridiculous" meshed with the complacency of everyone's mundane reality that they find exhilarating. It's really no different than reading the plethora of South American Humanoid Encounter reports.

Whereas someone that is gifted in the practice of a far more rigorous SCIENTIFIC pursuit of the truth might find the whole thing very disturbing and not for an all bad reason. That's because you are a guard and guards by their very nature are extremely defensive. It's what they do best. Thank you for what you do best.

Not sure you are understanding, Jeff. What many folks seem to be saying is that they know Johnson is full or it but they don't care because he entertains them.

This probably speaks volumes about my sense of humour, but I am one of the people you allude to, for me it was entertaining especially when he suggested the 20 foot lizard probably hides in a hole to avoid the cold, and is warm blooded because "dinosaurs" may have been?

I think that it is self evident that MR Johnson needed no assistance in making his claims seem "unbelievable", and I am convinced that if Gene and Chris had called him out, he would have clammed up and the show would not have been better overall.

For me the Paracast is entertainment (I do not mean this in a negative way) and I do not hold them responsible because I don’t like a particular person interviewed, and in this case I believe that intentionally or not MR Johnson was "allowed" enough leeway to overextend (enough rope), resulting in catastrophic failure in the plausibility stakes.

What I am getting at is the more stones turned over, the better the chance of finding something special.

I think that we can all agree that at the very least, this particular episode has highlighted some issues and lead to further discussion, which I am certain, is one of the goals of the show and forum.

And really who's being the bigger dick? Skeptics who call out these kinds of things or folks who think to themselves, "entertain me with your stories, you lying windbag" all the while, nodding their heads in agreement to his face?
Why do people like to watch magicians? They know it's not real, but they pay anyway, sheesh those poor sad losers…you don't hear the self-proclaimed skeptic saying such things about the magician's audience do you? In fact no, the exact opposite is the case. In fact the skeptics have their own Church of Randi that they worship at, where any crime, lie or duplicitous act is duly forgiven and praise is given instead.

Now what's more despicable: the self-righteous skeptic who is so damn insulted by everyone else's crazy whimsical ideas that they must unload on top of, insult and ridicule anyone who shows a hint of belief in the imaginary realm, or even better, ruin lives and careers for better or worse, OR is it the folks gathered around the campfire who are all suspending their disbelief and and some are not, they know it's not real but whatever, they just enjoy a good fanciful tale? Who is more likeable, affable and the type of person you want to hang out at the bar with - the curmudgeon or the storyteller?

I can accept, tolerate and try not to mock people whose belief systems are very contrary to my own, but if they bring a sense of joy and wonder along with them, well i'm much more accepting of that type of person than those who carry hammers with them to the campfire instead.

So, yes who is the bigger d*ck? The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wind.

Last edited:
There's no point asking why J.C. didn't collect any evidence of anything he's ever experienced. The man tells lies, plain and simple - None of what he said actually happened...Chris shouldn't be entertained by the likes of J.C., he should be down right offended.
Do you know JC? Have you ever met him? Have you done any field work with him? No you haven't. Sure, to some of you out there who have never met him, he comes across as over-the-top —all enthusiastic wild-eyed and motivated, etc. But, having lived in the magical 4-corners area for 25 years, I prefer NOT to throw this particular "baby out with the bath-water." If only 2% of what he claims (and he claims others claim) is true, its worth someone's time to keep tabs on all those babies (like JC) tramping and poking around some of the most remote areas of the southwestern USA. There is no substitute to getting out helping and networking w/ people who feel they are experiencing the inexplicable. Do I believe all of it? Of course not, but perhaps there is something out there that is beyond the pale. Obviously, YOU or Lance (and his ilk) won't be the one to stumble upon it, but someone like JC might...

Yes yes yes....but I can remember another guest coming on with a website that had all these faked videos and a former(thankfully) host just tore him up.
Or the Billy Meier shindig that had both Gene and the former host(thankfully) all up in arms.

Back