• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

J.C. Johnson January 26, 2014

I have to say I got extremely vexed when MR Johnson poo pooed the importance of collecting and analysing scat, a simple Google search will reveal just how much information can be gleaned via scatology and how extensively it is employed by Zoologists, for example I know that there has been successful extraction of DNA from a scat that was over 20,000 Twenty thousand years old*. I for one would be very interested in what exactly Bigfoot are supposed to eat? Especially as the majority of "primates" have almost exclusively vegetarian diets (with the exception of Man)

The irony is that I am a firm believer in the "existence" of Bigfoot, but when people claim that they are "primates" with zero supporting evidence, and in this case a wilful disregard or ignorance of "conventional investigative techniques" (the collection of information from scat) I get annoyed, embarrassed and more reluctant to argue for the existence of Bigfoot.

Just to clarify I think Bigfoot Does not "eat", cannot be trapped, shot, killed or even photographed because they are "paranormal", I would welcome being "proved" wrong and would change my mind when a "specimen" or irrefutable evidence of them being "primates" was presented. And that is why I was particularly annoyed because MR Johnson allegedly had access to a target rich sampling location and chose not to act.

I would also like to point out that "cold blooded" animals are not necessarily confined to "warm" environments (think frogs, toads, salamanders, and Newts) and are also capable of extremely fast movements (crocodiles). It is also interesting to note that certain species of shark were thought to be "cold blooded" but have now been shown to be "warm blooded" (Great White Shark).

Having said all that, over all I enjoyed the show and the conversations.

*Ground Sloth Dna | Trailing the giant ground sloth Scatology: DNA found in preserved droppings in a Nevada cave confirms theories that a creature many times the size of its modern counterpart lived during the Ice Age. - Baltimore Sun

I have cut and pasted this reply from the question bank thread.

This was a fun show. Fun being the operative word. For a second I was Jack Palance trying to keep warm, with sand in my boot and a belly ache full o' beans stretched out under a starlit broad purple sky with tales of talking cobras and Sierre Madre gold to lull me to sleep.

I was a bit confused as to wether JC thinks a Sasquatch is a paranormal entity or a real time blood and bones evolutionary mishap though?.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure which was worse: hearing about Bigfoot taking a crap from a tree or Gene constantly interrupting and chiding Johnson, 'this is a family show.' It almost made me want to sit through ads about gold or seeds for the end of the world.

The evidence was self-evident! And it was all referenced in the way that upholds the highest paranormal standards: See this guy said that this happened to this other guy but that guy is dead now!

What an embarrassing, anti-scientific, anti-rational load of crap.

And yet people seem to love this stuff. Chris sure eats it up!

Johnson's comments about the Melba Ketchum fiasco we're quite illuminating. And all of them dead wrong, wrong-headed, and deceptive,

Under what are proclaimed as the values of the Paracast, Johnson is one of the bad guys, not different in any way from the type of tripe presented on Coast to Coast or Project Camelot or worse. That he gets a pass here speaks volumes.

Gold standard....

Lance
Dead wrong? Wrong-headed? Deceptive?

So please illuminate on this.

Getting a pass? We don't presume that J.C. is a scientist. He investigates and he reports. Period.

Till I look over the links, I won't dispute your conclusions. But we don't have a paid fact checker on staff who will evaluate every single claim interactively. Regardless, I'm sure J.C. is aware of these forums and I'll invite him to respond if he wishes. But, no, we're not giving him a pass, and I do recall Chris questioning one or two of the things he talked about.

I have heard Chris on J.C 's previous appearance and even on the previous show question j.c.'s veracity on his stories. I.e. "I don't know what to make of the guy". The fact there wasn't much (anything) in the way of evidence given (not even pictiures of a crushed up cow) didn't faze me because i pretty much expected it. But when you consider J.C.'s maybe not-exactly-free-ride with the royal grilling the brothers who shall not be named and mr kaplan got... both justifiably so....it does seem like mr. Johnson gets off too easy. I know he's been at it a long time and had been out in the field for a long time as opposed to the aforementioned nincompoops who apparently came out of nowhere and then vanished back into the woodwork but its all the more reason he should have something more concrete. we're not asking for much here.

My take on J.C. is that he is a fun interview, with lots of fascinating stories. Do we tolerate more from him? Well, I did signal the fact that this was a campfire sort of discussion. It's not the same as the Twins Who Shall Not Be Named, who are having a clearly negative impact on UFO research with their presence and online popularity. I don't expect as much from J.C.'s YouTube channel.

This was a fun show. Fun being the operative word. For a second I was Jack Palance trying to keep warm, with sand in my boot and a belly ache full o' beans stretched out under a starlit broad purple sky with tales of talking cobras and Sierre Madre gold to lull me to sleep.

I was a bit confused as to wether JC thinks a Sasquatch is a paranormal entity or a real time blood and bones evolutionary mishap though?.

I got the impression he was stating that Bigfoot are "flesh and blood" as in a "Primate", because he said "show me the calories" and went on to explain that he believes a Bigfoot requires 6000 calories a day, sadly he did not state anything about their usual or staple diet (apart from a reference to deer populations and abandoned apple orchards).

Even if it is not possible to extract DNA from a particular scat sample you would in most cases be able discern what the animal had consumed, so I fail to understand his mockery of the idea of employing scatology.

I also noticed that he mentioned a DR Sykes (Bryan Sykes MA PhD DSc) whom I understand is a world renowned Genetic scientist, I think it was ungracious of MR Johnson to cast doubt on the honesty of somebody who has given credibility to the exploration of the Bigfoot mystery through scientific means, especially when the majority of the scientific community won’t give it the time of day. In my opinion having somebody like DR Sykes who was willing to conduct proper analysis on the best samples available was a refreshing change, and I cannot see that somebody of his repute would be interested in a "cover up" or deception, in fact I think he would be as excited as anyone if he had been able to identify a "new" species.

On the good side: I did enjoy his stories, and in all honesty, I don't believe that if Gene and Chris had "challenged" MR Johnson, we would have heard a more rational discourse from him.

I would like to say that I did not find him an objectionable guest, and would like to hear him return to the paracast in future. (I will have my sensors set to "campfire" mode next time though :))

Just now realizing they say "the paracast" LIVE before commercial break because Chris O'Brien was laughing from the scat part :) Thought the whispering in other shows was a sound file for some reason

My complaint is the pretense that somehow the Paracast is different than the other shows. It sometimes is, But this is not one of those times.

I enjoyed this light-hearted "Tales Round the Campfire" western themed episode. Variety prevents tedium.

If Lance anything less than 100% full-time cold-blooded atheistic materialist empiricism irritates you, you probably shouldn't listen to podcasts like The Paracast.

Your precious few thousand minutes on this planet are clicking away as we speak. Don't waste them here friend.

This episode definitely had an old school Barber shop or camp-fire tall tale feel to it and reminded me of Coast to Coast Am. Centaurs, monster snakes, skin walkers, a horny bigfoot, were-beasts, mer-people, living dinosaurs and hard drinking adventure-men. Wow. Although J.C. can tell a good story and I enjoyed listening to him jump from one incredible "report" to another, it was hard to take any of it seriously.

The most disturbing aspect of the stories told were claims of tie-ins to a homicidal cult with a long history of extortion, murder, and who knows what else. That seems like the "real story" if there is one in this show. If this were actually going on, I would think it would be of great interest to law enforcement and anyone talking about it on a radio show would be placing themselves in great danger.

I think Gene's many movie and TV references highlight (intentionally or not) just how "pop culture" this episode was vs. any sort of serious examination of evidence for claims of the paranormal. It is the paranormal explained through the poop-culture (oops, pop-culture) myth and pseudo-science creations of Hollywood screenwriters, not the scientific method, investigative journalism, or what have you.

One thing I miss from the old shows is the 5 minute rehash at the end where the hosts discuss their impressions of what the guest said. We get that now somewhat at the beginning of the next episode, but its more about the forum's "reaction" to the episode. If this were still part of the show, it might give Gene and Chris an opportunity to clarify their positions sooner. Nevertheless, the "friends of the show-pass" will always draw fire, and probably rightly so.

Of course there are no photographs Lance! The angel-DNA (sorta like the Vampire and mirror thing) prevents it. Or something like that. I saw it in a movie, or was that a Scooby-Doo cartoon?

Last edited:
I enjoyed this light-hearted "Tales Round the Campfire" western themed episode. Variety prevents tedium.

If Lance anything less than 100% full-time cold-blooded atheistic materialist empiricism irritates you, you probably shouldn't listen to podcasts like The Paracast.

Your precious few thousand minutes on this planet are clicking away as we speak. Don't waste them here friend.

I was debating posting something similar. If you hate the subject so much why even listen? The only thing posts like his are good for is adding noise.

I had Lance as my first and only forum poster on ignore. Either Gene has upgraded the forum software or something is bugged because I can see his posts again.

Back