• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Dr. Michio Kaku : Fukushima : From Fashpoint 05-09-12 : Reactor 4

Free versions of recent episodes:

Japan is playing with fire is an understatement indeed... But it must be all ok because TEPCO says it is.. they would not lie now would they?
Jesus what a bloody mess.

"I call it the sickness of Japan. First we hide, then we postpone, then we assume no responsibility."

"I call it the sickness of Japan. First we hide, then we postpone, then we assume no responsibility."

What can be done? So many people seem totally oblivious to what has to be one of the most important and significant ongoing events in the world today. Either people aren't paying attention, or they seem hypnotized by the propaganda coming out of the nuclear industry. Nothing to fear. It is under control. Responsible, concerned, and ethical people are in control of regulation, oversight, and implementation of the most dangerous endeavor undertaken by mankind, the utilization nuclear power to boil water and thereby create electricity. Nuclear power is the cheapest, cleanest, most safe method of providing the world's energy needs. There is danger but it has been overcome by the socially and environmentally responsible, intelligent, and highly ethical people in government and industry. Oh, thank goodness.

How incredible was that? I love the solution presented at the end. Be thankful for all the electricity provided thus far and just give it time and pray. Everything will be fine! Ya-hoo!

Its a transparent tactic, trivalise the worlds worst nuclear accident as a "fart"

If you cant smell it...... you dont need to worry

But the radiation is of course, of the silent but deadly variety

I'm not that versed in japanese culture, but throughout its history it seemed to be always about hono(u)r and to nor be shamed. Being 'shamed' in any way seems to be worse to them then admitting that this whole debacle is not really in their hands anymore it seems. At least some speak out.

The agency has recently come under fire for glossing over the potential dangers of ageing reactors, for becoming too cosy with the industry and for political infighting among the agency's senior executives, which critics in the US Senate and elsewhere say seriously hampers its ability to ensure safety.

Danger Zone: Ageing Nuclear Reactors - People & Power - Al Jazeera English

The investigation focuses on the Pacific Gas & Electric nuclear facility at Diablo Canyon and two others, Vermont Yankee and Indian Point in New York.

These three sites represent the dangers posed to nuclear power plant safety by earthquakes, terrorism, mechanical breakdown and flooding.

Rubin and Fang discover that the NRC's oversight track record is far from perfect, and that unless urgent action is taken the US could be heading for a nuclear catastrophe of its own.

"Beyond safe"?

Fukushima Disaster Was Man-Made, Investigation Finds
The Fukushima nuclear disaster was the result of “man-made” failures before and after last year’s earthquake, according to a report from an independent parliamentary investigation.
The breakdowns involved regulators working with the plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. to avoid implementing safety measures as well as a government lacking commitment to protect the public, the Fukushima Nuclear Accident Independent Investigation Commission said in the report.
Read more

that thing weighs 100 tons before it is milled out? I wonder if they use roman cranes to move it?

Fukushima Disaster Was Man-Made, Investigation Finds
The Fukushima nuclear disaster was the result of “man-made” failures before and after last year’s earthquake, according to a report from an independent parliamentary investigation.
The breakdowns involved regulators working with the plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. to avoid implementing safety measures as well as a government lacking commitment to protect the public, the Fukushima Nuclear Accident Independent Investigation Commission said in the report.
Read more

As tactics go its another good one, for those who say these things cant be built to withstand all natural disasters, this is a good counter.
Its about "control". yes there was a disaster, yes it was "man made" but a failure in "control" isnt the same as "no control"
Its now OK to restart the other reactors.

The EQ didnt cause the problem, the Tsunami didnt cause the problem, It was due to a factor in which we have total control.
Yes we dropped the ball, but as long as we are more careful in the future we still have total control over the situation.
Dont worry about EQ's and Tsunamis causing another one, they are not a factor.
This was man made, thus preventable, and we can restart the other reactors with that in mind.

While nice spin, it misses the point

It doesnt matter if the meltdown was caused by man made errors or natural disaster.
The cause of the meltdown isnt as important and the consequences.

Too much can go wrong, when it goes wrong.
The "fallout" pun intended from such accidents outweighs the benefits provided by these plants.

If the consequences of a meltdown are "impossible to fix" then dont risk it

Its like playing russian roulette with the world

Furthermore, since a primary lender would be the Federal Financing Bank, the taxpayer is directly on the hook. Guaranteed borrowings are not supposed to exceed 70% of the project’s projected costs, but it’s unclear what those costs will actually turn out to be, as the public has been given no firm price tag on the project.

There is apparently no cash down payment being required of Southern as it seems the loan is designed to be secured with the value of the reactors themselves, whatever that turns out to be. In the unlikely event they are finished, liability from any catastrophe will revert to the public once a small private fund is exhausted.

Why Should Nuclear Loan Guarantees Cost Less Than Student Loans? » Counterpunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

An intelligent and informed family decide to leave Japan. If you watch this guys previous videos you will find out he is no sensationalist reactionary. Listen to this fellow and his very real concerns about what is happening in Japan right now. People are attempting to leave Japan over the growing concerns there about the ongoing nuclear disaster. There will be a trickle but probably never a great flood due to the government making it hard for people to leave on top of the great expense. I do think people will eventually attempt to leave Japan en masse but only after it is too late for it to be properly orchestrated. I think it would be smart to get out ASAP.

You know guys it frightens me to open this thread up and read the posts some days.
Thanks for the post Trained as it is sobering and I agree that the guy in the video is not a sensationalist and has very real concerns.

so it begins as they say.

You know guys it frightens me to open this thread up and read the posts some days.
Thanks for the post Trained as it is sobering and I agree that the guy in the video is not a sensationalist and has very real concerns.

so it begins as they say.

To be honest, this is only the second youTuber that I know of leaving Japan. It may be a bit unscientific to take this as an indication in the general population, but I do feel it means something. I would have started making plans to leave the week of the first explosion like that poor fellow said he did. It seemed obvious then that the only hope is distance.

Professor in Japan Blasts Gov’t, Tepco: “These are lies, they’re absolutely lies” (VIDEO)

Professor Robert Jacobs, Associate Professor, Hiroshima Peace Institute, Hiroshima City University
At 10:45 in
Jacobs: We have a situation where [Tepco] and also the gov’t of Japan knew they had three full meltdowns the first week… They lied for months to people, they lied for two months… The reason they lied was to keep the word meltdown out of the headlines…​
They say this when they know the full core melted…​
These are lies, they’re absolutely lies…​
They tried to to keep the word meltdown off of the headlines… when Tepco admits there were 3 full meltdowns at Fukushima… it’s not a front page story anywhere around the world… That’s success from their point of view​
The trifecta of meltdowns................but no winners in this one​

If they had heard there were meltdowns early… It wouldn't have been panic like the Diet feared, but many more intellectuals would have fled. Now some of those who might have fled are resigned to their fate. Perhaps they feel even more than me they are the Walking Dead.

Back