• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Dr. Michio Kaku : Fukushima : From Fashpoint 05-09-12 : Reactor 4

trainedobserver

Paranormally Disenchanted
How close are we to an incredible environmental disaster that will dwarf anything that has come before it?

"They are hanging by their fingernails."
"Ten times the radioactive material at Chernobyl."
"It would equal 50% of all nuclear tests every conducted."
Dr. Michio Kaku

The threat is very great and very real.

This is scary. Hopefully they can keep hanging on but it's still not a good place to be.

Apparently things are pretty fragile. They are afraid another quake will destroy the integrity of reactor 4's fuel pool and the resulting fire would be catastrophic. It is so hot robots are useless. The only choice is to create a gigantic spherical tomb that would be akin to building the damn pyramids or something. The UN has to respond to this and do something. The Japanese have screwed the pooch.

I think some of the best advice I have heard has been to get up in the morning and check the state of Reactor 4. If it has collapsed and the fuel pool is burning don't bother going into work unless you just need the distraction.

Luckily he said that all the rods burning up is unlikely. If that did happen, it would be 50% of all nuclear tests ever combined.

Right, that is worst case apparently. The thing is, if you followed the story as it has progressed since the tsunami, the situation has always been worse than portrayed or anticipated. It has been a rolling, building, series of terrifying revelations that things are worse than they thought or worse than they are willing to reveal. I just don't hold a lot of hope for things getting better or taking the less critical path. The impact to our children and grandchildren is going to be great. This will cause health problems for many generations and will never actually go away. There just is not getting around it. I think it is a matter of when reactor 4 gets into bigger trouble not a matter of if. The turmoil in Japan will be hard to watch.

I think this has the potential to be worse than Chernobyl, as explained by Kaku. Right now it isn't because it didn't explode like Chernobyl did. The scary thing is, Kaku said they are teetering on the edge, and going off that edge would make it the biggest disaster in history.

It really can be a huge disaster. I have a close friend that lives in Sendai, and he said that people are pretty freaked out about the power plant even though they are being told not to worry.

'I don't care either way, not on my front lawn'....has anyone else seen the 'blips' of sending desperate japanese men in there ? Desperate as in no money. I wouldn't want to visit Nippon right know.

Just a copy and paste from the Internet..........

Nuclear power offers safer, cleaner option to fossil fuel sources

Let's think about the safe operational records of nuclear power plants and renew our interests in this alternative energy source in order to have a clean and safe environment

'I don't care either way, not on my front lawn'...

Are you saying your front yard isn't on this planet? Everyone on the globe is being, and will be affected by the ongoing nuclear disaster in Fukushima for generations to come. Dispersal patterns being what they are, some may may experience a more indirect effect for a longer period of time than others, but this is not a local problem and it will have global health and economic issues associated with it for generations.

Just a copy and paste from the Internet..........
Nuclear power offers safer, cleaner option to fossil fuel sources
Let's think about the safe operational records of nuclear power plants and renew our interests in this alternative energy source in order to have a clean and safe environment

I used to think the same thing until I found it was a lie. Regardless of what potential we have been told may be in nuclear power, the truth is another matter. The state of the nuclear power industry is abysmal. The business model fails, the environmental safeguards fail, and the whole thing is run by lying sacks of useless skin.

The truth is you can over engineer a nuclear power plant until you are blue in the face, but then you have to turn it over to be administered and managed by a group of people with an entirely different set of values. Hamstring the whole thing with legislative issues springing up from the very real environmental concerns and you have the bastards storing fuel rods in places they shouldn't for longer than they should. And certainly, the problems extend beyond the spent fuel storage issue into all aspects of how the nuclear power industry is run.

We need a real house cleaning in the nuclear industry.

Are you saying your front yard isn't on this planet? Everyone on the globe is being, and will be affected by the ongoing nuclear disaster in Fukushima for generations to come. Dispersal patterns being what they are, some may may experience a more indirect effect for a longer period of time than others, but this is not a local problem and it will have global health and economic issues associated with it for generations.

I thought you knew me a bit better by now.

Back