• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Dr. Michio Kaku : Fukushima : From Fashpoint 05-09-12 : Reactor 4

Free versions of recent episodes:

Radioactivity in apartment in central Tokyo

AC filter tested and found to show the presence of 130000Bq/kg radio Cesium in the dust plus enriched Uranium and for the first time Lead-210/Polonium-210.

While some are pissing themselves over how a restaurant owner chooses to spend his money and other matters of dubious importance the world's worst nuclear disaster is literally lapping at our shores.

K.B. talks some here about the danger of pockets of high radiation moving around the pacific and contaminating fish in a unpredictable pattern in the ocean.

Back when I was at Uni studying applied physics, we went on a trip to a nuclear power station near Edinburgh, Scotland. I remember being quite close to the core from an observation deck, very glad of all the shielding.
Now, hearing about what's happening in Japan, it has been brought home to me how awful it must be. I can imagine thinking about that power station and what would happen in a meltdown and a breach of containment. The thing about radiation is that it is not usually a brutal killer like a bullet but it is most insidious and patient. Remember the men that were 'allowed' 20mins to try fight the fire at Chernobyl? Remember what happened to those men? It wasn't pretty.

I have mixed feelings about nuclear power and also a little family connection: my paternal grandfather drew the plans for the 'dome' at the Dounreay Prototype Fast-Breeder Reactor on the very far north coast of Scotland. My grandfather left to go to New York as a young man and put himself through nightschool. He was a second choice for the job after some Cambridge educated man failed miserably. Some sensible person decided to call a local man, my grandfather and for the work he was paid £500 in 1952. He built his house (himself) with that money which was a lot back then. He also fought in Libya in WWII and had 5 kids.
They don't make them like that these days and grandpa - I take my hat off to you!

Woh! That machine could be used in an episode of 'CSI' or suchlike - I just love the way it flashes red saying 'Dangerous levels of radiation'. No mincing words with this piece of kit.

That is pretty damn scary if true. With such obvious evidence like that, I hope someone brings it to the attention of local authorities?

Back