• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Dr. Michio Kaku : Fukushima : From Fashpoint 05-09-12 : Reactor 4

Free versions of recent episodes:

I agree, and converting old plants to thorium is easy, all the turbines and transformers and cable infrastructure is there, just need to build a new boiler

Yeah the crazy thing about it is you are in fact taking stuff away from the old reactor you don't need. A thorium reactor can not go out of control, thorium is safe, it is very abundant, and it works at normal atmospheric pressure .. not like the lite water reactors that run under extreme pressure.

I remember reading about this when chernobyl went boom

Here is what Mikhail Varitsky had to say: ?I and other people from my team went to the site of the blast at night. We saw a ball of fire, and it was slowly flying in the sky. I think the ball was six or eight meters in diameter. Then, we saw two rays of crimson light stretching towards the fourth unit. The object was some 300 meters from the reactor. The event lasted for about three minutes. The lights of the object went out and it flew away in the northwestern direction.¦

The UFO brought the radiation level down. The level was decreased almost four times. This probably prevented a nuclear blast.
UFO Prevents Blast at Chernobyl Nuclear Plant - UFO Evidence

So why are they not helping now ?

where to start

Top of many lists will be, there are no ET's here, we may as well be asking why god or the invisible pink unicorn doesnt do something.

Next might be ,well ET's are actually demons so they would love this sort of disaster, or to take George LoBuono's idea that at least one species of verdant as he calls the greys, actually give unwitting pre space species this sort of technology so they can wreck the biosphere, thus giving them lawful grounds to come in and take ownership of said biosphere, using the same logic you would use in taking a loaded pistol from a 4 year old.

Perhaps thay have already abducted and sampled enough genetic material and dont need us anymore.

In a post biological upload hypothesis the deaths dont matter, only the rate of the die off since too many all at once will strain the system. They are allegeded to have had a winge about the atom bombs during world war II as causing souls to be lost, with extra effort needed to recycle them all (downtime loops and batched processing ?)

In the multiverse hypothesis its just a case of shit happened in that particular bubble, zillions more to play with.

Then there is the time traveller hypothesis, in which case fukushima is their history and cannot be changed, lest it change their future

And as a kid watching Jaws the movie i remember thinking the oceans would be a safer place if all those nasty sharks were just dead, we should kill em all and the oceans would be safe to swim in, maybe they feel the same way about our locust like habits.

Personally i think we should be responsible for our own situation

Children whos' parents constantly clean up for them, dont mature

I don't think E.T.s or whatever it is cares about the maturing or evolution of the human species. I don't think the appearance of and human interaction with UFOs has any motivation or purpose other than something directly associated with the needs originators of the phenomena. I am pretty convinced "we" are not the center of universe or the locus of UFO activity. It ain't about us.

I think the reported interest in nuclear weapons in silos is strange given that so many open air, underground, underwater, and space test detonations were made, we might as well have been at war. Right now, this very second, we have what equates to an ongoing nuclear exchange in Japan. A bomb that doesn't stop going off. Yet, it is a big no show. The only hope we have, just like it has always been, is in human reason and perseverance and that really looks like it is failing us at Fukushima.

:backonmysoapbox:

An observation regarding long term safety of potentially dangerous technologies--The most sophisticated technology mankind can devise, coupled with the best written and most sanctified safety regulations that can be written, are only as good as the organizational system in charge. This in turn, is utterly dependent on factors too frequently hidden behind layers of reassuring rhetoric and sometimes slick PR. Anything less than perfect will eventually fail.

Light on this topic can be found in the late Richard Feynman's book, "What Do You Care What Other People Think?". The latter half of it is dedicated to his personal experience wading swamps of bureaucratic BS while serving on the Rogers Commission, whose job it was to assess not only underlying causes of the Challenger disaster, but future airworthiness of the shuttle fleet. What Feynman found, in effect, was that the higher up the chain of command he went in his investigation, the less truthful and objective NASA employers and contractors were in expressing critical opinions. The full extent of his testimony was only allowed inclusion after he threatened to cause embarrassment by publicly pulling out.

All powerful technological marvels will eventually experience an incidence catastrophic failure. The question is not if but when, followed by cost-benefit analysis.

All powerful technological marvels will eventually experience an incidence catastrophic failure. The question is not if but when, followed by cost-benefit analysis.

Nuclear power always comes out on the bad side of any cost-benefit analysis, yet we have over 400 nuclear power plants world-wide. People with some forethought in places of responsibility should have never gambled the future of the world on this incredibly dangerous and lethal technology. Arrogance, greed, willful ignorance of the consequences, and military interests allowed decision makers to disregard the health and well being of future generations.

How can we continue to build and operate nuclear power plants when we do not have a solution to the waste issue? It makes no sense whatsoever in any cost-benefit analysis I can imagine. The cost is simply too great to continue.

Another factor is the economic meltdown of japan as a result of this, people are shy of buying produce and products from the affected area, and the cleanup bill will easily bankrupt tepco, with the balance having to come from japans economy.

The crisis at Fukushima has had a profound effect on Japan's capacity to recover from the devastating tsunami and earthquake, not least financially.
Jesper Koll, director of equity research at JPMorgan Securities in Tokyo, said a drawn-out battle to bring the plant under control and manage the radioactivity being released would perpetuate the uncertainty and act as a further drag on the economy.
"The worst-case scenario is that this drags on not one month or two months or six months, but for two years, or indefinitely," he said. "Japan will be bypassed. That is the real nightmare scenario."
Japan's main stock index has fallen about 9 percent since the tsunami while Tepco shares have fallen almost 80 percent. The Government is considering a tax hike to pay for the damage it estimates at $300 bn in what could be the world's costliest natural disaster.
Fukushima clean-up will take decades and cost billions - Channel 4 News

Which in turn will mean if new clean technology becomes available
Pre-Fusion news: NIF most important building in the World | The Paracast Community Forums

They may not be in a fiscal position to replace these death traps

And then there is the insurance angle

As the costs of dealing with contamination from the failing reactors of Fukushima continue to mount, we should re-examine not only our decision to build new nuclear power plants, but what to do about our own 104 aging reactors—and the spent radioactive fuel stored near them. Due to the liability protections that U.S. taxpayers currently provide, they represent not only a safety risk, but a financial one as well.

In 1957, before there was commercial nuclear power, Congress passed the Price-Anderson Act, which provided catastrophic risk insurance to the fledgling nuclear industry. Congress intended this taxpayer-backed insurance policy to be a temporary measure, a ten-year shelter that would give the industry the chance to mature enough to find private insurance companies to cover the cost of potential disaster.

Fast forward fifty years, and Price-Anderson is still in effect, having been renewed several times. Despite the industry's assurances that its reactors are safe, it continues to demand this unique liability protection. As a result, taxpayers cover all costs exceeding $12.6 billion associated with a catastrophic accident or attack on a nuclear power plant. As Vice-President Dick Cheney famously declared, without Price-Anderson "nobody's going to invest in nuclear power plants." That's because—as the crisis in Japan shows us—the costs and risks of operating nuclear power plants are so great that without the taxpayer financial guarantees, nuclear power corporations couldn't afford privately provided risk insurance.
Nuclear Disaster: Who Foots the Bill? by Tyson Slocum

At the end of the day only the taxpayer can afford the cleanup bills, its a neat scam isnt it, private companys get the profit, the taxpayer wears the liability

inside building 4

OB-TD021_JRT_Un_D_20120527070418.jpg

A Green Road Blog - Where Heart Shift Happens: Fukushima Reactor 4; Life Extinction Event If It Collapses

Nuclear expert Arnie Gunderson weighed in on this subject and said that the following picture showed that the #4 SFP was completely exposed to the air, which means that a melt down of the rods contained in this pool definitely happened.

A reporter from the Tokyo Shimbun described the scene on the fourth floor as looking like that of a “battlefield after being bombed.”

“Pipes were severely bent,” the reporter said. “Steel frames were also twisted and rusted. It was hard for me to believe such a thick wall was blown off over a wide area.”

In Flashpoints Daily Newsmag on 05-09-12, Physicist Dr. Micio Kaku talks about the potential disaster that can happen at spent fuel pool #4. He describes how desperate and dangerous this situation is, in a completely different way from anyone else.

Bottom line, everyone who knows what is going on agrees that Spent Fuel Pool #4 is close to collapsing. Akio and Mitsuhei Murata are both warning everyone who bothers to listen, that if spent fuel pool #4 (SFP #4) falls over and spills all of it's highly radioactive spent fuel contents on the ground, it will mean the end of all human life in Japan, and quite possibly result in a life extinction event for the whole world.

Again how anyone could look at whats happened here and declare these devices "beyond safe" is astounding, thats the sort of cognitive dissonance we usually see only in the deeply religious......... oh wait..........

"How can we continue to build and operate nuclear power plants when we do not have a solution to the waste issue" would be one of many. Naive or hypothetical?

Rhetorical, was the first word that sprang to mind yesterday i must admit

If you had asked me 2 years ago if i supported Nuclear powerplants i would have said yes, any industrial setting has accidents, coal mines kill workers on a regular basis.
I didnt think the nuclear power industry was that bad in the big picture.
I thought space elevators for example might be a way to offload the barrels of waste in a safe and cheap way sometime down the technological track.

But Fukushima has changed my mind in a way 3 mile island and chernobyl didnt.
The degree in which this has "gotton away" from us is beyond anything i had previously contemplated would be possible.

It brings home to roost the magnitude of the danger these things can create when they suffer a catastropic failure.

I now view these devices as like building a bonfire in the bottom of a wooden boat, the short term benefit is outweiged by the end result

Let it be known that when I did a copy and paste from the Internet on this thread applauding how clean and safe nuclear power is suppose to be, I posted that in light of the Fukushima disaster. As we can see just how dangerous nuclear is in the aftermath of this disaster. They want to spin the safe and clean aspect. The reality is nuclear power can be extremely hazardous, and when things go wrong, it can wreak havoc for many many years. Sry for not adding this info in the post. I just didn't think anyone could could think nuclear is clean and safe after Fukushima.

Although an equally powerful earthquake and tsunami were deemed unlikely in this country, the disaster was a warning that nuclear plants must do more to anticipate previously “unthinkable” disasters and plan for ways to mitigate the damage.

When it comes to nuclear power, the cost of any mistake can be truly unthinkable.

"What happened in Japan could just as easily happen here," said Sam Blakeslee, a California state senator and geophysicist who has argued that his state's two nuclear plants are more vulnerable to quakes than their operators claim.

Reactors on Fault Lines Getting Fresh Scrutiny - WSJ.com

Calif. of most concern for US nuclear plants near fault lines | News | Bakersfield Now - News, Weather and Sports

Top priority in US earthquake study: nuclear power plant near New York City - CSMonitor.com

Back