• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Dr. Michio Kaku : Fukushima : From Fashpoint 05-09-12 : Reactor 4

The people who gave their lives or ruined them beyond all hope in Chernobyl and Fukushima (WITH MANY MORE TO COME) are victims of the corporate greed and stupidity of the nuclear power industry. They will use the homeless, the destitute, and those without any other option to die for the mistakes of men who will eat steak, drink wine, and sleep in silk sheets while they piss blood and puke up their rice.

Are you saying your front yard isn't on this planet? Everyone on the globe is being, and will be affected by the ongoing nuclear disaster in Fukushima for generations to come. Dispersal patterns being what they are, some may may experience a more indirect effect for a longer period of time than others, but this is not a local problem and it will have global health and economic issues associated with it for generations.

I used to think the same thing until I found it was a lie. Regardless of what potential we have been told may be in nuclear power, the truth is another matter. The state of the nuclear power industry is abysmal. The business model fails, the environmental safeguards fail, and the whole thing is run by lying sacks of useless skin.

The truth is you can over engineer a nuclear power plant until you are blue in the face, but then you have to turn it over to be administered and managed by a group of people with an entirely different set of values. Hamstring the whole thing with legislative issues springing up from the very real environmental concerns and you have the bastards storing fuel rods in places they shouldn't for longer than they should. And certainly, the problems extend beyond the spent fuel storage issue into all aspects of how the nuclear power industry is run.

We need a real house cleaning in the nuclear industry.

Which is what weve seen in this disaster.
The spent fuel assemblys were allowed to pile up in the pools above the reactors

Its clearly a huge part of the current problem

former Japanese diplomat to the United Nations, Akio Matsumura, recently warned the world:

“The highly radioactive spent fuel assemblies at the Fukushima-Daiichi power plants present a clear threat to the people of Japan and the world. Reactor 4 and the nearby common spent fuel pool contain over 11,000 highly radioactive spent fuel assemblies, many of which are exposed to the open air. The cesium-137, the radioactive component contained in these assemblies, present at the site is 85 times larger than the amount released during the Chernobyl accident. Another magnitude 7.0 earthquake would jar them from their pool or stop the cooling water, which would lead to a nuclear fire and meltdown. The nuclear disaster that would result is beyond anything science has ever seen. Calling it a global catastrophe is no exaggeration. If political leaders understand the situation and the potential catastrophe, I find it difficult to understand why they remain silent. The following leaves little to question:

1. Many scientists believe that it will be impossible to remove the 1,535 fuel assemblies in the pool of Reactor 4 within two or three years.
2. Japanese scientists give a greater than 90 percent probability that an earthquake of at least 7.0 magnitude will occur in the next three years in the close vicinity of Fukushia-Daiichi.
3. The crippled building of Reactor 4 will not stand through another strong earthquake.

"The nuclear disaster that would result is beyond anything science has ever seen. Calling it a global catastrophe is no exaggeration." Akio Matsumura

Japan could actually be lost. Think of that. Where would they go? You know, they would have to start an evacuation now to even have a ghost of a chance before the time runs out. I swear, if there was ever a reason to start drinking heavily this is it.

Close enough to a hundred and thirty million of them.....................

In contrast theres about twenty three million people In Australia

It's amazing how the Fukashima story suddenly seemed washed away by so much tabloid garbage in the mainstream news.

This will be an ongoing disaster for decades at best. It's just a matter of magnitude.

This will be an ongoing disaster for decades at best. It's just a matter of magnitude.

I'm pretty sure that the Fukushima and the Chernobyl disaster will be measured in generations. It will in all reality be never ending. Until we develop some sort of incredible technology that renders radioactive material inert on demand it will always be with us.

War, fossil fuels, manufacturing etc - it's always the poor at the coalface. I've said before that no politician should be able to choose to go to war unless the have a relative who will fight also. In the same manner, the bosses of industries such as nuclear, should have to do a share of the clean-up also.
I always thought Japan had a strong sense of honour in it's culture. Where is that sense of honour in relation to the current nuclear disaster?

Fukushima supposedly happened because of a few factors that were not predicted to happen at the same time. Obviously they did. My question is then, what is the status of the remaining nuclear plants in Japan? Are they being looked at with fresh eyes in an effort to try and forsee any potential future problems?

I always thought Japan had a strong sense of honour in it's culture. Where is that sense of honour in relation to the current nuclear disaster?
...My question is then, what is the status of the remaining nuclear plants in Japan?

They are programmed to do as they are told. They have a severe level of trust and blind obedience to the government as part of the culture. At some point I think we are going to see a major break from that mind-set but it probably won't happen as a mass until Tokyo has to be evacuated. Although you never know, it may trigger even a greater willingness to just do and believe anything that is offered to them.

I think there are no nuclear planets running in Japan right now.

Yes I know what you mean but I was specifically referring to this practice of using the worst off to do the dangerous, dirty nuclear clean up. That is taking advantage of those with the least choices and I find it distinctly dishonourable.

Japan certainly does have an 'ask no questions' culture regarding authority. I've heard stories that during WWII, the mainland population was being prepared to commit suicide rather than be taken alive because they were told the American soldiers would be ruthless and rape the women etc.
I think there is a difference also between sending soldiers on a 'suicide mission' in which the chances of survival are low and the practice of sending pilots of aircraft and submarines on suicide missions. I realise that no-one was actually forced to do those things and many would have seen it a great honour to volunteer, but still, the idea must have been put in their heads it was the 'honourable thing to do'.

Japan is a bit of a mystery in many ways. Have you ever seen footage of workers in Japanese factories who do group exercises at the start of the day etc? Can you imagine that in a factory local to you? Wouldn't happen here and I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing!

Yes I know what you mean but I was specifically referring to this practice of using the worst off to do the dangerous, dirty nuclear clean up. That is taking advantage of those with the least choices and I find it distinctly dishonourable.

Japan certainly does have an 'ask no questions' culture regarding authority. I've heard stories that during WWII, the mainland population was being prepared to commit suicide rather than be taken alive because they were told the American soldiers would be ruthless and rape the women etc.
I think there is a difference also between sending soldiers on a 'suicide mission' in which the chances of survival are low and the practice of sending pilots of aircraft and submarines on suicide missions. I realise that no-one was actually forced to do those things and many would have seen it a great honour to volunteer, but still, the idea must have been put in their heads it was the 'honourable thing to do'.

Japan is a bit of a mystery in many ways. Have you ever seen footage of workers in Japanese factories who do group exercises at the start of the day etc? Can you imagine that in a factory local to you? Wouldn't happen here and I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing!

Bushido is the code, its deeply rooted in the culture

"If a man does not investigate into the matter of Bushido daily, it will be difficult for him to die a brave and manly death. Thus, it is essential to engrave this business of the warrior into one's mind well."

Duty is heavy as a mountain but Death is lighter than a feather

It translates as a deep sense of duty to the japanese collective, over and above the self.
But this also translates as a code of silence too, very few will criticise the govt since that would be to cause it (and thus everybody) to lose face.

Are you saying your front yard isn't on this planet? Everyone on the globe is being, and will be affected by the ongoing nuclear disaster in Fukushima for generations to come. Dispersal patterns being what they are, some may may experience a more indirect effect for a longer period of time than others, but this is not a local problem and it will have global health and economic issues associated with it for generations.

I used to think the same thing until I found it was a lie. Regardless of what potential we have been told may be in nuclear power, the truth is another matter. The state of the nuclear power industry is abysmal. The business model fails, the environmental safeguards fail, and the whole thing is run by lying sacks of useless skin.

The truth is you can over engineer a nuclear power plant until you are blue in the face, but then you have to turn it over to be administered and managed by a group of people with an entirely different set of values. Hamstring the whole thing with legislative issues springing up from the very real environmental concerns and you have the bastards storing fuel rods in places they shouldn't for longer than they should. And certainly, the problems extend beyond the spent fuel storage issue into all aspects of how the nuclear power industry is run.

We need a real house cleaning in the nuclear industry.

Just a copy and paste from the Internet..........

Nuclear power offers safer, cleaner option to fossil fuel sources

Let's think about the safe operational records of nuclear power plants and renew our interests in this alternative energy source in order to have a clean and safe environment

I think "bastards" and "lying sacks of useless skin" are not accurate here.

GeoShift is correct.

The disaster in Japan is indeed horrific, and research will show that in the U.S. safety measures are and have been in place. I want to limit my comment to the United States. Of course, links to this and that, can be provided to the contrary, but an equal or greater number can be supplied, more accurately, to the truth of the safety of nuclear power in the U.S.

I have two sons with advanced degrees in engineering from prestigious universities. One has worked for years in fossil fuel and nuclear plants.

The generalizations here about U.S. nuclear power plants are quite extraordinary. I'm not saying that we don't have to be on our toes, but these generalizations about nuclear plant safety are just that, with little corroboration. Kim

The generalizations here about U.S. nuclear power plants are quite extraordinary. I'm not saying that we don't have to be on our toes, but these generalizations about nuclear plant safety are just that, with little corroboration.
Kim there are about 40 reactors in medium to high earthquake prone areas in the usa. Would it be an extraordinary generalization to say that we are safe from earthquake induced reactor failures or problems here in the usa?
GRAPHIC: Examining U.S. nuclear reactor/fault line...: ShortFormBlog

Back