• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Zahi Hawass Steps Down and Leaves Egypt

Thanks Ryan,

i really think it was time for new blood in a position like his. Perhaps with a whole new government they won't need such a single controlling person in charge of all Egyptian antiquities. Thanks again for the info Ryan, i might of missed it.

Even with Zahi gone and Egypt reforming I don't expect we'll see excavations below the Sphinx's paw any time soon...

Thought I'd share a newsbit I picked up; it's an English version of an Egyptian newspaper article that made the rounds in ancient Near Eastern studies circles:

"Nevine El-Aref
Monday 7 Mar 2011

The fate of Egypt's antiquities
After protests by archaeologists, the ministry for antiquities is no
longer under the jurisdiction of the culture ministry but rather that
of the cabinet

Following several decisions and counter decisions, the ministry for
antiquities became a Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA) under the
direct supervision of the Cabinet, rather than the ministry of culture

Egyptian archaeologists managed to keep antiquities independent from
the ministry of culture. Egypt's newly appointed Prime Minister Essam
Sharaf agreed to keep the ministry of antiquities an independent body
among the cabinet echelon and separate it from the ministry of
culture.

Such a ministerial decision came following demonstrations held by
hundreds of Egyptian archaeologists who picketed from the garden of
the Egyptian museum in Tahrir up to the cabinet building in Qasr
El-Aini street demanding an independent ministry."

The upshot of this is that the antiquities division should be more autonomous in the future. Hawass was known in the field as a gatekeeper and (I'm told) sort of a blowhard. The young archaeologists in Egypt may be more receptive to new ideas.

I watched a few episodes of a show on Egyptology that had Hawass featured prominantly.
The man had one hell of a bad temper. I saw him blow up sevral times during the shows. I even heard some of the other people on the show say they never knew what was going to set him off an get him screaming all red-faced again. Everyone seemed to walk on egg shells around him, and cowered from him.
I think it will be a good thing he's gone. Maybe some of the old questions concerning the true age of the sphinx will finally get an answer, along with many others questions that might be answered with the right approach.

I have to say here, not being an egyptologist, I do not know what that approach would be exactly.
But I do know limiting research to a few hand picked archeologists that share Hawass' myopic viewpoints were really getting us nowhere.

Who was this man? What was he up to when the cameras were not around? What did he do in the dead of night when most of Cairo was sleeping? Who was this man, really?

You have to consider the possibility that Zahi Hawass was not who he appeared to be. He appeared to be a close-minded tyrannical blowhard that ruled by decree. He appeared to discount all the "new ideas" about the age of the Sphinx and the origin of the pyramids and other ancient Egyptian structures. Is it possible we were fooled? Is it possible we were actually watching a great actor performing on his stage, the Giza Plateau?

What if Hawass secretly knew that Graham Hancock, Robert Bauval and Robert Temple were right? What if Hawass was covertly working with a group whose mission was to recover important artifacts and hold them secret, perhaps even removing them from Egypt? Hawass had every opportunity to steal artifacts that might shed great light on the beginnings of humanity. As outrageous as it might sound, he might have been in league with a very dark group that doesn't want the human race to understand its true beginnings, a group that does NOT share what finds.

I'm deep into conspiracy theory now but I think it needs to be considered. Could Zahi Hawass have made important discoveries that he kept secret from the world? Working in private, did he find a "hall of records" or underground chambers filled with priceless writings? Did he sell these discoveries to an Illuminati group? Could Hawass himself be an important member of such a group? Was the great Zahi Hawass an impostor? That is my question.

hawass.jpg

Who was this man? What was he up to when the cameras were not around? What did he do in the dead of night when most of Cairo was sleeping? Who was this man, really?

You have to consider the possibility that Zahi Hawass was not who he appeared to be. He appeared to be a close-minded tyrannical blowhard that ruled by decree. He appeared to discount all the "new ideas" about the age of the Sphinx and the origin of the pyramids and other ancient Egyptian structures. Is it possible we were fooled? Is it possible we were actually watching a great actor performing on his stage, the Giza Plateau?

What if Hawass secretly knew that Graham Hancock, Robert Bauval and Robert Temple were right? What if Hawass was covertly working with a group whose mission was to recover important artifacts and hold them secret, perhaps even removing them from Egypt? Hawass had every opportunity to steal artifacts that might shed great light on the beginnings of humanity. As outrageous as it might sound, he might have been in league with a very dark group that doesn't want the human race to understand its true beginnings, a group that does NOT share what finds.

I'm deep into conspiracy theory now but I think it needs to be considered. Could Zahi Hawass have made important discoveries that he kept secret from the world? Working in private, did he find a "hall of records" or underground chambers filled with priceless writings? Did he sell these discoveries to an Illuminati group? Could Hawass himself be an important member of such a group? Was the great Zahi Hawass an impostor? That is my question.

What ever other shenanigans 'Zahi Hogwash' may, or may not, have committed, the simple fact is that the man is a liar and his ass is right where all deceivers, liars and traitors to humanity belong.

Now, please excuse me while I dance a jig. . .

Back