• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — September 4, 2016

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
September 4, 2016
www.theparacast.com

Dr. Robert Davis Presents a Common Sense Approach to UFO Research on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to After The Paracast, plus a higher-quality version of The Paracast free of network ads, and chat rooms when you sign up for The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes, the new Paracast+ Video Channel, episode transcripts, Special Features and Classic Episodes. Check out our new “Lifetime” membership and special free eBook offers! For more information about our premium package, please visit: http://plus.theparacast.com/.

This Week's Episode: Gene and guest co-host Goggs Mackay present Dr. Robert Davis, author of “The UFO Phenomenon: Should I Believe?” Robert Davis is an internationally recognized scientist in his field, and served as a professor at the State University of New York for over 30 years. He is a member of the Dr. Edgar Mitchell Foundation for Research into Extraterrestrial Encounters (FREE),” composed of many leading researchers from various disciplines. The FREE website includes their initiatives, scholarly articles written by members of FREE, and the results of their ongoing research results obtained from over 2,500 individuals who report conscious recall of contact with UFOs and non-human intelligent beings. During this episode, Dr. Davis will address the outcomes of their preliminary research results and associated theories and implications for future research.

Chris O’Brien’s Site: Our Strange Planet

FREE: The Foundation for Research into Extraterrestrial Encounters (FREE)

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively to Paracast+ subscribers on September 4: Gene and guest co-host Goggs Mackay try to define subspace. What if we had subspace radio to overcome the problems of poor cell phone reception or no reception? Goggs talks about the report of a possible UFO in the vicinity of a recent SpaceX rocket ship explosion. Gene recalls his days at Beyond Reality, a paranormal magazine from the 1970s and early 80s recently posted in digital form online. He describes his experiences with the offbeat character who published the magazine, Harry Belil, and moves on to his “lost interviews” from that era featuring such UFO personalities as Major Donald E. Keyhoe and Dr. J. Allen Hynek. The discussion switches to the episode of The Paracast featuring Robert Davis, Ph.D, someone with a refreshing attitude towards UFO research. Gene brings up the recent “A Different Perspective” blogs about MJ-12 from Kevin D. Randle, in which h e provides yet more evidence that such documents were all faked.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums.

The Beyond Reality Story

By Gene Steinberg

In recent months, a number of researchers, including a UK-based barrister who goes by the name of Isaac Koi, have been busy digitizing old UFO magazines. While posting some of these previously unknown publications might not have very much value in resolving the mystery, it’s fitting to see how the subject was treated over the decades.

And how little progress has been made.

Segue to 1975. My marriage to Geneva was over, and I was struggling with a new business partner to build a small business. I had learned how to be a typographer working part-time for a small educational publisher while, at the same time, running the news department of a local radio station in Coatesville, PA, and editing a UFO/paranormal/counter culture magazine, Caveat Emptor.

I was unhappy. The business was severely underfunded. My partner, who was supposed to produce sales, wasn’t delivering the goods. I wanted out. But I needed something else to do, some way to put food on the table. It was time to make a new start.

Well, as I was busy searching for opportunities, I become friends with Harry Belil, editor and publisher of a newsstand-based paranormal magazine, Beyond Reality. He said he needed some production assistance, so I arranged to use our phototypesetting equipment to provide the raw galleys he used to assemble the magazine. I also helped him with the editing process, since his skills were by and large oriented towards the layout table. On several issues, I even wrote his editorials and, for a time, contributed a regular column.

The magazine looked better, read better, but I received little in the way of credit, except for an occasional “Contributing Editor” listing. He had promised a Managing Editor position and other benefits.

I quickly realized that Harry was big on promises and boasts, but wasn’t quite so big on their realization. I also wasn’t getting much in the way of money. I wasn't alone. Harry was quite skilled at persuading writers and editors to work for low pay and no pay on the premise that the magazine’s distributor was constantly ripping him off. So he wasn’t getting paid a whole lot for the sales Beyond Reality generated on the newsstand, so he didn’t have much left with which to pay his helpers.

In those days, small newsstand magazines usually depended on the advances from distribution companies, the firms who trucked the magazines to local newsstands. As with book publishers, they based those advances on expected sales, conservatively estimated. Indeed, some publishers put out loads of “books” of varying degrees of quality just to get those regular advances. If a magazine didn’t generate enough sales, no problem. They’d kill the title and bring out another book to replace it.

Over the course of our association, I even joined Harry on one visit to the distributor to see if he could get a better deal. I can’t say I recall the details all that much, but I could not forget the atmosphere of sleaze. Let’s leave it there.

My association with Harry also gave me a short-lived gig as host of the magazine’s local access TV show, “The World Beyond Reality.”

As I wrote in another issue of newsletter, during those few weeks when I taped the shows, I got to interview a number of notables in the field. On one occasion, I met Charles Berlitz, then pushing his best-selling book, “The Bermuda Triangle.”

A fast friendship developed, and I was in frequent touch with Charles over the next few years as he wrote, or cowrote, titles about the Philadelphia Experiment and, of course, Roswell.

I was even mentioned as a source in some of his books. As with Harry, the association didn’t really improve the bottom line, though I got lots of free lunches and dinners.

Well, the relationship with Harry soured over time. I realized he wasn’t going to be a meal ticket, that the magazine might continue for a while, but it wouldn’t generate enough income to prove much of a salary.

That said, Beyond Reality and a companion magazine, UFO Update, managed to stick around past 1980. While such writers as Brad Steiger, Tim Beckley, Curt Sutherly and other skilled researchers wrote for the two magazines for a while, the quality of the material steadily declined as they and others went elsewhere, perhaps as they became disenchanted over the lack of reliable payments for their work.

I can’t say the experience was totally negative. I learned a lot about the production of professional newsstand magazines, and also about some of the tricks less savory publishers used to carve out a living for themselves. Such magazines are a rarity these days. Newsstand distributors soon merged or went out of business. With the growth of the online world, print magazines became slimmer, and some took the hint and went all digital.

The basics of magazine production also changed. By the mid-1980s, editors, publishers and graphic designers discovered the Apple Macintosh computer, and such desktop publishing applications as PageMaker and QuarkXPress. It was soon possible for almost anyone with a little practice to produce a complete magazine without expensive gear. Well, with less expensive gear.

Over the years, print publications declined or went under, and most publishers, if they remained in business, went online. There are still newsstand magazines, but the outlets to buy them are largely supermarkets, with limited titles, and such major bookstores as Barnes & Noble. As I said, most magazines, if they didn’t fold, found a market online, but there are no distributors to give advances to keep you in business.

Now looking back, I actually remember Harry fondly, despite his questionable behavior. He was one of those genuine characters that seems to be part and parcel of life in and around New York City. With his magazines, he also gave tens of thousands of readers a fairly reliable source of information about their favorite subjects. Maybe he wasn’t so strict about vetting his writers, but the magazines were otherwise well produced and worth a read.

Copyright 1999-2016 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
September 4, 2016
www.theparacast.com

Dr. Robert Davis Presents a Common Sense Approach to UFO Research on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to After The Paracast, plus a higher-quality version of The Paracast free of network ads, and chat rooms when you sign up for The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes, the new Paracast+ Video Channel, episode transcripts, Special Features and Classic Episodes. Check out our new “Lifetime” membership and special free eBook offers! For more information about our premium package, please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio.

This Week's Episode: Gene and guest co-host Goggs Mackay present Dr. Robert Davis, author of “The UFO Phenomenon: Should I Believe?” Robert Davis is an internationally recognized scientist in his field, and served as a professor at the State University of New York for over 30 years. He is a member of the Dr. Edgar Mitchell Foundation for Research into Extraterrestrial Encounters (FREE),” composed of many leading researchers from various disciplines. The FREE website includes their initiatives, scholarly articles written by members of FREE, and the results of their ongoing research results obtained from over 2,500 individuals who report conscious recall of contact with UFOs and non-human intelligent beings. During this episode, Dr. Davis will address the outcomes of their preliminary research results and associated theories and implications for future research.

Chris O’Brien’s Site: Our Strange Planet

FREE: The Foundation for Research into Extraterrestrial Encounters (FREE)

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively to Paracast+ subscribers on September 4: Gene and guest co-host Goggs Mackay try to define subspace. What if we had subspace radio to overcome the problems of poor cell phone reception or no reception? Goggs talks about the report of a possible UFO in the vicinity of a recent SpaceX rocket ship explosion. Gene recalls his days at Beyond Reality, a paranormal magazine from the 1970s and early 80s recently posted in digital form online. He describes his experiences with the offbeat character who published the magazine, Harry Belil, and moves on to his “lost interviews” from that era featuring such UFO personalities as Major Donald E. Keyhoe and Dr. J. Allen Hynek. The discussion switches to the episode of The Paracast featuring Robert Davis, Ph.D, someone with a refreshing attitude towards UFO research. Gene brings up the recent “A Different Perspective” blogs about MJ-12 from Kevin D. Randle, in which h e provides yet more evidence that such documents were all faked.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums.

The Beyond Reality Story

By Gene Steinberg

In recent months, a number of researchers, including a UK-based barrister who goes by the name of Isaac Koi, have been busy digitizing old UFO magazines. While posting some of these previously unknown publications might not have very much value in resolving the mystery, it’s fitting to see how the subject was treated over the decades.

And how little progress has been made.

Segue to 1975. My marriage to Geneva was over, and I was struggling with a new business partner to build a small business. I had learned how to be a typographer working part-time for a small educational publisher while, at the same time, running the news department of a local radio station in Coatesville, PA, and editing a UFO/paranormal/counter culture magazine, Caveat Emptor.

I was unhappy. The business was severely underfunded. My partner, who was supposed to produce sales, wasn’t delivering the goods. I wanted out. But I needed something else to do, some way to put food on the table. It was time to make a new start.

Well, as I was busy searching for opportunities, I become friends with Harry Belil, editor and publisher of a newsstand-based paranormal magazine, Beyond Reality. He said he needed some production assistance, so I arranged to use our phototypesetting equipment to provide the raw galleys he used to assemble the magazine. I also helped him with the editing process, since his skills were by and large oriented towards the layout table. On several issues, I even wrote his editorials and, for a time, contributed a regular column.

The magazine looked better, read better, but I received little in the way of credit, except for an occasional “Contributing Editor” listing. He had promised a Managing Editor position and other benefits.

I quickly realized that Harry was big on promises and boasts, but wasn’t quite so big on their realization. I also wasn’t getting much in the way of money. I wasn't alone. Harry was quite skilled at persuading writers and editors to work for low pay and no pay on the premise that the magazine’s distributor was constantly ripping him off. So he wasn’t getting paid a whole lot for the sales Beyond Reality generated on the newsstand, so he didn’t have much left with which to pay his helpers.

In those days, small newsstand magazines usually depended on the advances from distribution companies, the firms who trucked the magazines to local newsstands. As with book publishers, they based those advances on expected sales, conservatively estimated. Indeed, some publishers put out loads of “books” of varying degrees of quality just to get those regular advances. If a magazine didn’t generate enough sales, no problem. They’d kill the title and bring out another book to replace it.

Over the course of our association, I even joined Harry on one visit to the distributor to see if he could get a better deal. I can’t say I recall the details all that much, but I could not forget the atmosphere of sleaze. Let’s leave it there.

My association with Harry also gave me a short-lived gig as host of the magazine’s local access TV show, “The World Beyond Reality.”

As I wrote in another issue of newsletter, during those few weeks when I taped the shows, I got to interview a number of notables in the field. On one occasion, I met Charles Berlitz, then pushing his best-selling book, “The Bermuda Triangle.”

A fast friendship developed, and I was in frequent touch with Charles over the next few years as he wrote, or cowrote, titles about the Philadelphia Experiment and, of course, Roswell.

I was even mentioned as a source in some of his books. As with Harry, the association didn’t really improve the bottom line, though I got lots of free lunches and dinners.

Well, the relationship with Harry soured over time. I realized he wasn’t going to be a meal ticket, that the magazine might continue for a while, but it wouldn’t generate enough income to prove much of a salary.

That said, Beyond Reality and a companion magazine, UFO Update, managed to stick around past 1980. While such writers as Brad Steiger, Tim Beckley, Curt Sutherly and other skilled researchers wrote for the two magazines for a while, the quality of the material steadily declined as they and others went elsewhere, perhaps as they became disenchanted over the lack of reliable payments for their work.

I can’t say the experience was totally negative. I learned a lot about the production of professional newsstand magazines, and also about some of the tricks less savory publishers used to carve out a living for themselves. Such magazines are a rarity these days. Newsstand distributors soon merged or went out of business. With the growth of the online world, print magazines became slimmer, and some took the hint and went all digital.

The basics of magazine production also changed. By the mid-1980s, editors, publishers and graphic designers discovered the Apple Macintosh computer, and such desktop publishing applications as PageMaker and QuarkXPress. It was soon possible for almost anyone with a little practice to produce a complete magazine without expensive gear. Well, with less expensive gear.

Over the years, print publications declined or went under, and most publishers, if they remained in business, went online. There are still newsstand magazines, but the outlets to buy them are largely supermarkets, with limited titles, and such major bookstores as Barnes & Noble. As I said, most magazines, if they didn’t fold, found a market online, but there are no distributors to give advances to keep you in business.

Now looking back, I actually remember Harry fondly, despite his questionable behavior. He was one of those genuine characters that seems to be part and parcel of life in and around New York City. With his magazines, he also gave tens of thousands of readers a fairly reliable source of information about their favorite subjects. Maybe he wasn’t so strict about vetting his writers, but the magazines were otherwise well produced and worth a read.

Copyright 1999-2016 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!
I had the distinct pleasure of working with Henry Belil, we both was members of the N.Y. Guard Army he was in charge of public affairs and I was his assistant photograph He held the rank of full bird colonel and I held the rank of sergeant first class We would pull together a small paper for the unit of what was going on throughout the regiment but what really funny was when I found out he was chief editor of a magazine about UFO, I thought to myself maybe I could find out some answers I had quite a few questions that I wanted to ask him about my first encounter with five disks I encounter one night hovering in the night sky as I look through some of his magazines that he gave me I still could not come up with anything I hate that stuff about UFO and even the Colonel Harry ones told me that it was A bunch of false stories , as time went by and we continue I'll duties with the regiment this one evening some 10 or 15 years later from my first sighting of five red disk In N.C. I'm sitting in a park Van Cortland Bronx N.Y. What court my eyes was a large red spaceship flying very low and slow it had no wings no windows and you could not see a engine and there was no sound the next time I saw the Colonel I told him what I saw what a coincidence I meet Colonel Harry Belil and then I have a encounter with a red spaceship not a day go by that I don't think about both of my encounter and the thoughts of my friend Harry Belil Shalom ✔

Back