• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — September 17, 2017

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
September 17, 2017
www.theparacast.com

The Paracast Explores Grief Dreams and Possible Afterlife Encounters

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an exclusive podcast, After The Paracast, plus a higher-quality version of The Paracast free of network ads, when you sign up for The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes, the Paracast+ Video Channel, episode transcripts, Special Features, Classic Episodes and there’s more to come! We also feature selected podcasts and videos from Paul Kimball’s “Other Side of Truth.” Check out our new lower rates, starting at just $1.49 per week, plus our “Lifetime” membership and special free print and eBook book offers! For more information about our premium package, please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio.

This Week's Episode: Gene and guest co-host J. Randall Murphy present Joshua Black, one of the leading academic researchers in the field of dreams of the deceased. The discussion includes precognitive dreams. He has focused all of his graduate work on investigating this neglected topic (MA and PhD). He continues to publish scientific research in the field as he finishes his Ph.D. at Brock University (Ontario, Canada). To raise awareness about the topic, he started a website (www.griefdreams.ca), Instagram page (@griefdreams), Grief Dreams Facebook Group, and the Grief Dreams Podcast (with co-host Shawn Ram). Additionally, he frequently gives presentations and workshops on the topic to the bereaved and those who work with them.

Chris O’Brien’s Blog: Our Strange Planet

Joshua Black's Grief Dreams Site: Home

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively to Paracast+ subscribers on September 17: Gene, Chris and special guests Greg Bishop and J. Randall Murphy discuss grief dreams, influenced by the appearance of academic researcher Joshua Black on The Paracast, with an emphasis on possible encounters with the afterlife. Greg mentions a case reported by skeptic Michael Shermer involving a possible experience of this sort. Chris talks about the passing of his brother Brendon, with whom he had a close relationship, and why he feels his late brother may have helped inspire his two-month winning streak on a slot machine, where he earned as much as $3,000 at a stretch before it all came to an end.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. Check out our new YouTube channel at: The Official Paracast Channel

Remembering Our Loved Ones
By Gene Steinberg

I don’t recall my dreams all that often, but when I do, there’s something curious about them. They are vivid, and sufficiently lifelike to imagine, for a brief period of time, they I am living in an alternate universe as real as this one.

In light of our interview with Joshua Black on grief dreams, I thought back to the people involved in the ones I’ve had.

For some reason, I don’t recall any featuring my mother, Sydelle, though there was really nothing contentious about our relationship. But one set of dreams involves my dad, who almost always appears to be healthy and going about his business.

My father, Charles Steinberg, was a first-generation American, born in 1909 in New York City. During his youth, he satisfied his wanderlust by traveling around the country before coming home to settle down and marry my mom. When he retired, at age 70, he was working in an executive position with the New York City Department of Transportation, where he was responsible for scheduling in the surface division, the buses.

For some reason, I sometimes tended to compare my dad with Jackie Gleason’s character, Ralph Kramdon, in “The Honeymooners,” perhaps because he began his career as a bus driver. He also tended to have a weight problem, which he mostly overcame in his final years.

My dad died in 1988, on my birthday. The previous evening, he telephoned, and for some reason extended the conversation longer than usual. It seemed, in retrospect, that he just wanted to be reassured that I was all right.

Did he know he was about to die?

He was quite healthy for a man approaching 79 years of age. On his final day, he was hanging out with some friends when he suddenly keeled over and died on the spot of a heart attack. He didn’t suffer.

I also dream from time to time about my brother, Wallace H. Steinberg, who died in his sleep at the age of 61 in 1995.

Wally was quite a character in his younger years, exhibiting a wacky sense of humor that never ceased to entertain me. Knowing of my interest in UFOs and sci-fi, he once wrote a letter to me on toilet paper, claiming to be an ET observing the peculiar habits of Earthlings. The punch line? A sentence where he remarked that his fellow beings wouldn’t believe what they used their writing paper for.

After receiving a pharmacy degree, Wally decided not to pursue a career at a drug store, as our uncle Abraham had done. Instead, he went into industry, and eventually received his masters degree at Rutgers University.

During a stint as head of research for Johnson & Johnson, he managed projects that resulted in the development of Retin-A, the popular acne medicine, and Reach toothbrushes.

After hitting the limits of his career growth there, he left J&J and entered the financial world, ultimately becoming an investment banker. At the time of his death, he was chairman of Healthcare Investment Corporation, described in a The New York Times obituary as “the largest venture capital fund devoted to health care.”

The article went on to say, “Mr. Steinberg was willing to risk millions on untested futuristic notions that nonetheless held the promise of revolutionizing medicine. He was among the first to promote gene therapy and to invest in the study of animal organs for human transplantation. Mr. Steinberg was also a master at generating enthusiasm for his ideas, thereby luring investors.”

In other words, he was a consummate salesperson.

At the time of his death, Wally had become so immersed in the corporate world that his children usually referred to him by his name rather than his role as their father.

Now I don’t actually suspect that any of those dreams involve some sort of encounter with the afterlife or a universal consciousness, of which my dad and my brother are now a part. More than likely, it means that, to some degree, I’m still grieving for them, and thus I find it comforting to imagine that they are still here.

I have not done an extensive study of dreams and the meaning of dreams, but I’ll give you one more thing.

Or a series of things.

So when I was nine or ten years of age, I had a series of recurring and frightening dreams. At the time, the Steinberg family resided in a four-family tenement on Newport Street in Brooklyn, NY.

Well, around the corner was a building with a large canopy in front. This is significant, because my dreams involved some large dark object resembling that canopy suddenly speeding towards me. I suppose one could conflate that image with another sort of flying thing, but I’m not prepared to go that far.

Well, as the object approached and appeared almost ready to engulf me, I would wake up in a cold sweat.

Over the next few months, the dream would recur every so often. I can’t say it happened every night, but it was frequent enough to sometimes make me dread going to bed at night.

And then they stopped.

I do not recall if I conveyed my fears to my parents or to Wally, who left home shortly thereafter on the occasion of his marriage.

Was it in any way UFO related? Well, I did have an interest in sci-fi and horror movies. On Saturdays, my dad would often take me to a movie theater on 42nd Street in Times Square that would play vintage movies of both genres. I remember seeing “House of Frankenstein” and "House of Dracula,” which were among the final movies of the original Universal horror film era. On a few occasions, I got to see a Republic movie serial. In those days, such films presented a story across 12 to 15 episodes.

But UFOs?

That interest didn’t develop until I was 11, but I was ready. My mom and I were visiting Wally’s first apartment, a short walk from our home. On one occasion, we arrived before he returned from work, and I happened to notice a book on his coffee table.

I picked it up, and started to read it. Within a few minutes, I was immersed in that classic book, “Flying Saucers From Outer Space,” by Major Donald E. Keyhoe, and asked Wally’s wife if I could borrow it. She said sure, but I had to return it to the library by the due date.

The book was returned on time. But I was hooked, and it was all Wally’s fault.

Copyright 1999-2017 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back