• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — October 11, 2020

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
The Paracast Newsletter
October 11, 2020
www.theparacast.com

The Irrepressible Andrew Colvin Holds Forth on Mothman, the MIB and Other Mysteries on The Paracast!

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE AT A SPECIAL LOW PRICE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an exclusive podcast, After The Paracast, plus an enhanced version of The Paracast with the network ads removed, when you join The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes on your device. Flash! For a limited time you can save up to 40% on your subscription. So act now! For the easiest signup ever, please visit: Choose Your Membership Upgrade

This Week's Episode: Just take a deep breath as Andrew Colvin takes us on an amazing and wild journey into the mysteries of Mothman, the crash of the Silver Bridge, the Maury Island UFO, MIB encounters, the JFK assassination and other ongoing conspiracy topics. Are there connected threads or synchronicities among any of them? Andrew is an eclectic artist, photographer, filmmaker, publisher, musician, and bestselling author, who has been called "one of America's great, pain-in-the-butt original thinkers." Colvin has written or co-written over 50 books, and is credited with co-discovering the "11-11 Awakening Code" and advancing the practice of "synchro-conspiracy." Following in the footsteps of his mentor, Fortean author John A. Keel, Colvin is considered by some to be the leading authority on the mysterious Mothman, due to his early experiences with the phenomenon and his intensive documentation of symbols and synchronicities.

J. Randall Murphy's Ufology Society International: Ufology Society International (USI) - Explore the UFO Phenomenon

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively for Paracast+ subscribers on October 11: In Part II of an interview that began on the October 11, 2020 episode of The Paracast, researcher/writer/author Andrew Colvin. He continues to talk about the Mothman, plus possible shape-shifting creatures, the JFK assassination, Nazi conspiracies, mind control, 19th century airships, and even the controversial legend of the Philadelphia Experiment. In addition to his expertise on the Mothman, Colvin is an eclectic artist, photographer, filmmaker, publisher, musician, and bestselling author, who has been called "one of America's great, pain-in-the-butt original thinkers." Colvin has written or co-written over 50 books, and is credited with co-discovering the "11-11 Awakening Code" and advancing the practice of "synchro-conspiracy."

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. Check out our new YouTube channel at: The Official Paracast Channel

Some Anecdotes From Years Ago

By Gene Steinberg

Back in 1975, I was busy extricating myself from a business partnership that wasn’t working out. I was living in Pennsylvania then, in Downingtown, a small town located some 33 miles from Philadelphia.

As a native New Yorker, I was seeking opportunities back in my home town. At the same time, I was helping out one Harry Belil, the New-York-based publisher of a newsstand paranormal magazine, Beyond Reality. Harry wanted to take advantage of a public access TV opportunity at a cable service, and asked me to host “The World Beyond Reality.”

I’m not at all sure if we had many viewers, but it was fun, and Harry managed to line up some great guests, such as Charles Berlitz, author of the best-selling title, “The Bermuda Triangle.”

Berlitz, the wealthy grandson of the founder of the famous language schools, was a genuine literary character. Short, stocky, with a salesman’s glint his eyes, he told a great story. I just had to prompt him briefly and listen.

Well, he said he was working on his take of the Philadelphia Experiment legend, that he had been looking for a copy of the infamous Varo Edition of a UFO book, “The Case for the UFO,” by M.K. Jessup, as part of his research.

Now the story of the Varo Edition is one of the many oddities of Ufology. Some character who called himself “Carlos Allende” (revealed to be one Carl Allen) was evidently responsible for annotating a copy of the book with handwritten notes that painted a bizarre picture of time travel, teleporting a battleship and other weird occurrences dating back to the height of World War II. It was the genesis of the Philadelphia Experiment.

I was surprised that Berlitz claimed it was hard to get a copy, since I had one in my living room, the version that Gray Barker published. Maybe Berlitz was trying to strike a conspiratorial pose as he talked up his next book.

So I took him up on the challenge, and told him I had a copy that I’d be delighted to loan to him. With the tape running, he accepted.

I brought him the book over lunch, and over the next few months, Berlitz picked my brain over what I know about the subject. We became friends, and I would visit him occasionally at his old estate in Glen Cove, New York.

Aside from the free lunches, I got a credit in the book, “The Philadelphia Experiment,” coauthored by Berlitz and William Moore, which was published in 1979.

The following year, the duo was responsible for another title, “The Roswell Incident,” which helped spawn the legend about a crashed UFO that persists to this very day. I realize that the late Stanton Friedman also apparently contributed heavily to the book, but didn’t earn a byline.

I lost touch with Berlitz after a while; he later retired to Florida.

Now I liked Berlitz, but didn’t take him too seriously. He’d often say, with that telltale glint in his eyes, that, “I’m honest as the day is long,” which is the mantra of the con man.

With “The Bermuda Triangle” and its sequels, he probably earned royalties far larger than most paranormal book authors ever dreamed of. To this day, I’m not sure how seriously the regarded the subject matter, but he certainly glommed on to some hot topics, and they made for great reading.

We don’t talk much about the Triangle these days. The Philadelphia Experiment is still discussed from time to time. The book inspired a 1984 sci-fi film starring Michael Paré and Nancy Allen and, in 2012, a TV movie sequel in which Paré returns in his original role.

Roswell? I wonder what Berlitz would have thought about it had he survived to this day. He died in 2003, and we’re still talking about the case 40 years after that original book was published.

His coauthor, Moore, is mostly persona non grata in the UFO field these days. In 1987, Moore was joined by colleagues Jaime Shandera and Stanton Friedman in distributing and touting the infamous MJ-12 documents, also the stuff of legend. These documents, highly disputed, appeared to confirm the existence of a secret government group involved in overseeing investigations into UFO mystery.

Moore’s career as Ufologist pretty much came to an end in 1989, during a MUFON symposium. There, he confessed that he had been working with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) to harass Paul Bennewitz.

Now that sort of unworthy behavior takes us back to one real strange character, Rick Doty, a former AFOSI agent who was allegedly involved in that and other shenanigans.

Now I’ve never had any personal encounters with Moore, but we did interview Doty on the March 18, 2018 episode of The Paracast. He seemed personable enough, but I hardly think he said much that was especially believable.

Belil? Well, we had a bit of a falling out a few weeks after the Berlitz interview. He had made some promises to me about finding me some new opportunities in New York that never came to pass. I always regarded him as more talk than action, and I never quite understood why he got involved in publishing a paranormal magazine.

But those were the days when small magazine publishers would put out lots of “books” and survive on the advances from the newsstand distributors. If the books failed to “earn out,” produce enough sales to meet or exceed the advance, they were quickly killed and replaced with others.

It was all about quantity and definitely not quality. There were always enough starving freelance writers to churn out copy for pennies a word, so getting material wasn’t a problem if the publisher didn’t care much about quality.

The Philadelphia Experiment? Well, I thought about it all over again when we interviewed researcher, author and publisher Andrew Colvin for this weekend’s episode of the After The Paracast podcast.

As you know, After The Paracast is included with subscriptions to The Paracast+ along with an enhanced version of The Paracast, free of network ads.

While they last, we’re also offering a free coupon code for James Fox’s new UFO documentary, “The Phenomenon,” for those ordering new five-year or lifetime Paracast+ subscriptions. For more info, please visit: https://www.theparacast.plus

Copyright 1999-2020 The Paracast Company. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

The Paracast Newsletter
October 11, 2020
www.theparacast.com

The Irrepressible Andrew Colvin Holds Forth on Mothman, the MIB and Other Mysteries on The Paracast!
I mentioned during the show that some of Colvin's commentary reminded me of the movie "A Beautiful Mind".

While they last, we’re also offering a free coupon code for James Fox’s new UFO documentary, “The Phenomenon,” for those ordering new five-year or lifetime Paracast+ subscriptions. For more info, please visit: https://www.theparacast.plus
Yes! Got my download and checked it out. This is a must-have for any ufology library or video collection. I'd post a review now, but I'd like to hear what other people think first. This is an excellent perk for our Paracast + subscribers. Nice going Gene ?

We have director James Fox booked for a Paracast taping on October 22nd. More info coming.

Important! Don't stop watching when the credits roll. James has pulled a "Marvel" and runs brief interview segments interspersed with the credits, including rate coverage of UFO sightings in China.

We have director James Fox booked for a Paracast taping on October 22nd. More info coming.

Important! Don't stop watching when the credits roll. James has pulled a "Marvel" and runs brief interview segments interspersed with the credits, including rate coverage of UFO sightings in China.
Yes. And Christopher O'Brien's name is also in there on the end credits.

Back