• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — November 10, 2013

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
November 10, 2013

The Mystery of Crop Circles Front and Center on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 2:00 AM until 5:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Why It's Important for You to Donate to The Paracast: Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough to pay your humble hosts decent wages. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network or local stations. So we hope you're able to help fill the gap, if you can, to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch and utility bills. No contribution is too small (or too large :). It’s easy to send a donation. We have a Donate link on our home page, below the logo and audio player. There's also aDonate link on our forums, at the bottom of the sidebar on the right. Or just send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com. And if you’ve had a problem getting to our Donate screen, please try again. We just fixed a serious PayPal access problem, and it should wor k properly now.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

About The Paracast: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host and acclaimed field investigator Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris present noted crop circle researcher Colin Andrews. Colin pioneered crop circle investigation 30 years ago and is considered the world's top authority on this controversial subject. Among his many accomplishments: He started the first research organization into this phenomenon, Circles Phenomenon Research (CPR), designed high-tech surveillance operations attempting to film a circle being made, and advised Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher’s cabinet and Queen Elizabeth on the mysterious phenomenon. His latest book is, written with Synthia Andrews, is "On the Edge of Reality: Hidden Technology, Powers of the Mind, Quantum Physics, Paranormal Phenomena, Orbs, UFOs, Harmonic Transmissions, and Crop Circles."

Chris O'Brien's Site: Our Strange Planet

Colin Andrews’ Site: Colin Andrews Official Web Site. Crop Circles, UFO, Consciousness

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. We recently completed a major update that makes our community easier to navigate, and social network friendly.

Sponsored Message: Don’t get ripped off when you need to liquidate your precious jewelry and silverware. Call Steve at Numis Gems at (480) 878-7678 and get the straight scoop!

Do We Belong in a Museum?
By Gene Steinberg

We at The Paracast get criticisms all the time. Some are very accurate and to the point, while others are a little wacky, to put it mildly. I read, for example, a comment from someone at iTunes, claiming that we ran more ads than a real radio show. Only thing: The Paracast IS a real radio show, featured on the GCN radio network and streamed to local radio stations. We run the same number of ads as their other shows, nearly 70 of them. That same ad schedule is also used by other networks.

Some people just don’t want to be bothered with facts. Yes, I realize some of you would rather not have the ads. But that’s the price of free radio.

Another criticism has it that we dwell too much on old stuff, such as pioneer UFO and paranormal researchers, and classic cases. There may be merit to these complaints, but it’s also very true that far too many people in these offbeat fields haven’t learned from the past. They keep repeating the same mistakes, in part because they are ignoring the lessons of history. And you know the old saw about being condemned to repeat those mistakes.

Indeed, my personal feeling is that we continue to repeat the same old arguments, proven or otherwise, and that’s a key reason why there has been so little progress towards coming up with some solutions. That’s why I remind people that, if you read the comments made by UFO researchers in the 1950s, particularly those who favored an extraterrestrial hypothesis, you’ll find very little that’s different from current speculation. Some 60 years later, we are still looking in dark alleys for evidence of government conspiracies, still hoping that someone, somewhere, has the secret, and therefore we must continue to demand that they let us in on it.

Now it may very well be true that the answer to the UFO mystery is exactly what was suggested in the early days, and that the U.S. government, as claimed, does have guilty knowledge about what’s going on. What’s more, maybe there has been communication between us and them.

But that doesn’t mean we’re on the right track. It may also be that governments around the world haven’t a clue about what’s going on. But if there’s no evidence of any threats to national security, a head-in-the-sand approach may be the most politically expedient. Why frighten people about something unknown if it appears to be a benign phenomenon? So people see weird things flying in the sky, or landing in their back yards. Abductions? Well, what about sleep paralysis? So they return to debates about more mundane issues, such as military budgets, deficits, and whether the poor deserve some help.

Only thing: As much as we get criticisms about rehashing such old cases as the Roswell crash, whenever we do bring up those topics, we get loads of responses, and plenty of downloads. People are still highly curious about what really happened, so we continue to try to find something new and different, so long as what’s new and different makes some sense.

Indeed, if there was only one genuine UFO case, that would be sufficient evidence that something really strange is going on. But there have been loads of sightings through the years, and there doesn’t seem to be much or any letup in the action. Maybe 90% or even 95% of those sightings can be attributed to conventional objects or phenomena, but not all. The critics want to suggest that all sightings could be explained if there was only enough information, but some cases defy that theory. It doesn’t matter how much information you dig up; it’s still a mystery.

But does that mean we should still focus on the old cases?

Well, scientists, on the rare occasions that they’ll get involved in this mess, would attempt to look at repeatability and consistency from case to case. Even though eyewitness testimony may be fundamentally inaccurate when it comes to the fine details, if the fundamentals of these sightings have elements in common, that may take us one step further to actually getting a handle on what’s going on.

Besides, it’s just not true that we only cover the older cases, or feature aging researchers. Our guests run the gamut, and The Paracast was one of the first shows to provide serious coverage of the O’Hare case, and the UFO flap in Stephenville, TX. We’ve also featured eyewitness reports of more recent UFO abductions and other unconventional phenomena. When it comes to other weird events, we’ve had guests discussing recent reports of strange creatures, such as Bigfoot.

True, we’d like to do more. There is only so much you can cover on a weekly radio show that spans three hours (including the news breaks that aren’t carried in the online version). If The Paracast were on five days a week, we wouldn’t run out of guests and show ideas. But it might be difficult to continue to deliver quality shows on such a rushed schedule.

We also welcome your ideas about future guests. We receive many, and sometimes we book shows around those requests. From time to time, we even feature the more active members of our forums, and we might even schedule an episode where you listeners can relate your own paranormal experiences. Indeed, I’m planning on having a conversation shortly with one listener who reports a really troubling episode that reportedly occurred some years back.

When it covers to other paranormal shows, we don’t talk about them very often, even though some would prefer we did. But there is an active discussion about the short-lived return of Art Bell to the airwaves with a Sirius XM satellite radio show called “Art Bell’s Dark Matter.” Now as most of you know, “Dark Matters” is the title of a long-running show from a friend of The Paracast, the irrepressible Don Ecker. Indeed, Bell knows Ecker, so the choice of a name for his show was curious.

Regardless, Bell’s show is no more. After a few weeks, during which time he mostly brought back guests featured on the original CoastToCoast AM in the 1990s, his new show was discontinued. Or cancelled. But don’t count him out. Maybe he’ll be back some day with a new show, and, one hopes, with a different name.

Copyright 1999-2013 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

All I can say is hang in there like the rest of us Gene. You and Chris are doing an excellent job. Perhaps someone will eventually donate enough funds to get the whole ufology house in order, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. And even with everything in order, then there's still the problem of analysis and live field investigation. Out of all these UFO shows on TV that have been done over the last decade or so, how many have donated any of their profits to a recognized group like CUFOS who does the mostly thankless job of maintaining and cataloging sighting reports? I'd wager a small amount that virtually all of it went into the pockets of the producers and crew and companies that made the shows.

I remember seeing the comment about the show belonging in a museum and disagreeing with it completely. I think some people who are used to a complete lack of skepticism in their paranormal radio shows, not to mention their own lives, get frustrated that you guys don't dive into this subject with your minds already made up as to the reality of certain phenomena or hypotheses about certain phenomena. The fact that you guys are constantly questioning everything, even your own thoughts and beliefs about the paranormal, is what keeps me tuned in every week, it's a level of honesty that is sadly lacking in most other paranormal radio shows.

I think this honesty about where we are in terms of progress in proving the existence of paranormal phenomena is what earns you scorn and insult from the true believer types who wish to proceed as though all of their favorite personal beliefs about the paranormal were well established facts.

Last edited:
There's a negative implication to the 'museum' comment in that the new direction ufology has started to sail towards is much more speculative and investigatory, as well as drenched in the pop culture paranormal du jour snack food like shadow people, back eyed children and stickmen. I find most of that content to be utterly laughable at best and usually just a waste of my time. The ancient alien piece is also an attempt to find new territory in old narratives. There's nothing much new there.

I've said repeatedly here that The Paracast's core value is the historical record of the significant figures and cases explored in ufology. Where else can you get the complete record outside of reading the UFO Encyclopaedia? At the same time i find the show maintains a contemporary edge and insight into new cases, new people and new ideas. I find that there's been a healthy balance of good investigation and speculation, even if I have learned to categorically disagree with the findings of a collection of repeat guests.

In my rankings if I want a quick paranormal fix then Mysteries Abound and Mysterious Universe are the scripted places I turn to. If I want a leisurely, commerical free exploration of the unexpected it's Radio Misterioso for its offbeat conversations and total lack of elitism. But the overall winner, most complete, total, and freely accessible content is The Paracast. Its value and contribution to ufology can not be understated. And while guests often get to have their say, the overall tone of the show is actually quite reserved and skeptical about what is and isn't provable. Sometimes we don't hear that tone until the opening of next week's show, but I think that 'balance' is what best defines this podcast.

i saw that same comment and despite responding with a lame joke, i can't really say i didn't disagree with the general principal that pong was referring to. in the shop talk show a few weeks back you guys touched on your favorite researchers. Chris rattled off a few names i've never heard of, but then i'm not really immersed in this field, but still i thought why not have these new guys on the show? i understand that it's not like gene can just snap his fingers and all the newer unsung investigators would come yapping at the door but i trust chris's instinct if he has his eyes on these guys let 'em strut their stuff.

at the same time, there is this. on the same show i asked a question that chris responded to about and that was despite the fact that people may be more open to casting a wider net and thinking outside the box when it comes to finding "the answer(s)" to the ufo enigma is there a possibility that even the most open-minded potential source is doomed as a answer if more evidence is not forthcoming. i guess what I’m saying is one could probably count on one hand...plus a finger or two...the number of possibilities when it comes to finding a source of ufo and related (?) phenomena, and that includes psychedelic drugs and swamp gas. I think the well has run dry and any further attempts at finding yet another source, if something doesn’t pan out soon in what we already have, will probably be seen as a desperate grasp by debunkers.
In a sense it doesn’t really matter who is on the show, be it the old guard or new blood, if it just comes down to the same old talking points. “It may be this, or maybe that, who really knows” that doesn’t really further the cause nor add much insight. If there was a breakthrough in this field I don’t care who the mouthpiece was, they should be given priority. My feeling is that this would likely come from somebody that has been around for awhile and has established connections and has invested a lifelong commitment to it because there are not many institutions out there throwing money at young ufo researchers, or more likely as others have mentioned before IF there is ever a breakthrough it will probably come as a result of this phenomena allowing it to happen and of their own will.

There was a recent thread regarding the Zimbabwean case involving multiple witnesses including schoolchildren, has that even been featured? It’s not exactly a new case but judging from the number of comments on that thread most all of us agree that it would make for a heck of an episode. Also we haven’t heard from scott corrales in some time. I’m always interested in what is going on south of the border if only because the phenomena manifest itself in a different way down there. Latin America seems to have a lock hold on the little malevolent vicious bastards, including murderous frigidaires.

On the same post Pong had lamented not interviewing recent ufo witnesses. If this were up to a vote I would be dead set against that. The Paracast isn’t C2C, what I get from that show is that most people just like hearing the sound of their own voice. there would have to be a heck of a vetting process to give them any paracast time. I’ve mentioned before I DO listen to C2C but turn it off when the calls come in.

Last edited:
I also favour the investigating of singular cases, especially in a panel format where ideas get to be critiqued, contradicted and even developed. Too often when you have a singular guest it is often a limited vision of events that's tied to their book as opposed to exploring the phenomenon for the sake of the phenomenon.

However, if the panel isn't completely up to speed, like in the last 'concrete block in the desert debate', then the show can fall a little flat. Maybe finding out who are the lead investigators on topics and inviting them to debate an event and thoroughly explore possibilities would be a way to help out of the box thinking. I would also like to see similar case comparisons examined i.e. the Zimbabwe school children and the Aussie school children cases are worth comparing and exploring together.

Other areas I would like to see investigated include out of the box thinkers like Albert Rosales, Greg Bishop, and that Hidden Experience dude, along with Chris to explore the many possibilities of humanoid sightings, though Steiger will already be taking this on in the next episode. Having many voices yields better debates.

Another direction I would like to see things go in is to be less specific about cases and more focussed on the features of events. I understand that Redfern is now working on a new book (go figure) that is about a thread we took on here in the forum: lethal UFO encounters. I like the idea of the niche topic that explores specific aspects of the phenomenon. For example, why not look more closely at the whole idea of witness reporting through the skeptical lens of the psychologist vs. UFO researchers well versed in how perception works and the reliability, and lack thereof, in witness reports. Perhaps there are patterns taking place that speak more to functions of physiology and cultural frontloading? Maybe biologically there are other common patterns of hallucinations that are really responsible for things we call ghosts and aliens as suggested by neurologist Oliver Sacks?

I keep returning to Greg Bishop's comment that the breakthrough in the phenomenon will come from someone totally unrelated to the paranormal and UFO fields. Maybe the experts we really need to hear from are working in the fields related to human perception and neurology? Wouldn't a more fascinating opportunity for learning occur from Steiger debating Sacks instead of just listening to one person's theory?

Gene,
I so applaud both you and Chris for your efforts. You aren't doing anything wrong IMO. You have an amazing selection of guests. Both cornerstone figures who have been both prominent authors and investigators for years, as well as the newer view points on everything from obscure breakaway conspiracies to Nick Redfern whom you could not get any newer and more actively paranormal cutting edge with respect for quality investigative reporting by having as a guest on your show. I just don't think there is any real validity to the museum comment apart from an entitlement motive proclaiming that you either, "didn't ask my question on the show" or, "you haven't had my suggested guest on the show yet" mentality. Just keep doing a great job Gene, and definitely DO look for a small but sincere donation from me very soon for what is a show that I am truly grateful for.

I have a question that I have always be a little to inhibited to ask, but this is kind of a nice low profile place to do so in . What is considered a "helpful" donation? Is 100.00 pretty much a joke? Or is that a typically useful and well appreciated amount? I am certain that any amount is OK, but realistically, does a 100 clams make a decent enough dent in the Paracast deficit to be of "real" use? Thanks, it still feels a little odd asking as much, but I have wondered this many times quite honestly.

Thanks for offering. Any amount is helpful to the cause. :) Honestly we really don't get many donations these days. I think most people have other problems of more immediate concern with which to deal.

I don't know how we'd do this in the existing Paracast format, except on a rare occasion. But I'd like to do something.

I saw "Man of Steel" in 2D in the local movieplex, and got to see it in 3D at home. I think the 3D conversation came after the original filming, but it was pretty well done anyway. None of those ping pong effects of old. Regardless, I liked the film and the way it served as a "Superman Begins" movie, with (spoiler alert!) the mild mannered reporter with the glasses only appearing at the end of the film. It's a different dynamic that Lois knows who Clark really is from the get-go. Besides, how can you believe that a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter couldn't tell that the nerdy guy at the desk next to hers is really Superman?

Yeah Gene mind you look at the media today:D and one example a presentation of slides prior to the iraq invasion look at the reporters expressions ?
Thats Entertainment :cool: In the Man of Steel the fact Lois goes walking in sub zero temperatures no protection mask ? I have to re watch :Dthe Movies again and did she have a torch while walking on the ledge of ice?

Good questions. With any popular movie, you can find dozens of plot inconsistencies, and I'd have to reexamine these. I don't recall anyone saying temperatures were subzero, but it sure was cold. Did they?

Here is another one with ancient fairies

Yeah Gene but Agents of Shield might find a wormhole which puts them into the same universe of Dr Who or Star Trek?

Last edited:
Back