• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — March 19, 2017

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
March 19, 2017
www.theparacast.com

UFO Research and Psychic Healing Discussed on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to After The Paracast, plus a higher-quality version of The Paracast free of network ads, and chat rooms when you sign up for The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes, the Paracast+ Video Channel, episode transcripts, Special Features, Classic Episodes and there’s more to come! We’ve just begun to add podcasts and videos from Paul Kimball’s “Other Side of Truth.” Check out our new lower rates, starting at just $1.49 per week, plus our “Lifetime” membership and special free eBook offers! For more information about our premium package, please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio.

This Week's Episode: Dr. Robert Davis, author of “The UFO Phenomenon: Should I Believe?” returns to The Paracast withan update from the Dr. Edgar Mitchell Foundation for Research into Extraterrestrial Encounters (FREE),” where over 4,000 experiencers have responded to a questionnaire about their encounters. You’ll also hear from Dr. Maree Batchelor, a psychic healer. According to Dr. Davis, “Maree was able to facilitate a life changing transformative awakening in me through a channeling session. Others who I referred to her have had similar positive psycho-spiritual outcomes (i.e., kundalini awakening, ascension, etc.). During this episode, Dr. Batchelor will be asked to demonstrate her healing abilities on Gene.

Chris O’Brien’s Site: Our Strange Planet

Dr. Robert Davis’ Site: The Science of Consciousness, the Afterlife, and Unidentified Aerial Phenomena

Dr. Maree Batchelor’s Site: Maree Batchelor, M.D.

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively to Paracast+ subscribers on March 19: Gene and guest co-host Erica Lukes discuss the claimed psychic abilities of healer Dr. Maree Batchelor, featured on the regular episode of The Paracast. Gene wonders whether such treatments are more about making you feel better about yourself, and Erica mentions she has had positive experiences with healers she knows. The discussion moves to the experiencer survey conducted by FREE, the organization of which Paracast guest Dr. Robert Davis is a member. Is the high percentage of positive experiences reported by abductees the result of a Stockholm syndrome effect that makes people feel positive about their captors? In talking about the lack of progress made by UFO groups, and their inability to work together, Erica explains what she would do if she headed up an organization such as MUFON.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums.

The Early Days in the Thick of the Action
By Gene Steinberg

On the basis of my current lifestyle, you might think I never get out very much. But that wasn’t always true. So when I was far younger, I did travel a fair amount to speak with UFO researchers and eyewitnesses to paranormal events.

In 1965, while studying broadcasting, I also worked at the office for Jim Moseley’s Saucer News, located at 303 Fifth Avenue in the heart of Manhattan. Now despite the apparent prestigious location, it was a nothing elaborate, just a single narrow room, but my salary was fairly generous for the time. The $5 an hour I earned in 1965 would be the equivalent of nearly $39 an hour in 2017.

I lived with my parents then, and had few expenses. So the paychecks were enough to fund my education, with enough left to travel with Jim on an occasional trip to another part of the country in search of UFO lore.

In 1965, Jim served as the driver as we drove to the midwest with the ultimate goal of visiting none other than controversial UFO/sci-fi writer/editor Ray Palmer at his home in Amherst, Wisconsin.

Our first stopover was Chicago, where we met up with Allen Greenfield, Rick Hilberg and Dale Rettig. We all stayed at a Hilton hotel that was notable for being almost cavernous in the way the rooms were laid out. Just getting back to the one I shared with Jim required an extra effort to examine the signs and arrows. It was as if the architect wanted the occupants to struggle to go anywhere other than an elevator to the lobby.

Maybe they thought we’d just seek out the bar or the overpriced restaurant for some expensive relaxation.

Once our crew was all together, we motored to another downtown hotel, where we met Jacques Vallee, who was busy promoting his first UFO book, “Anatomy of a Phenomenon.”

We spent perhaps an hour talking with him, but I recall little of the conversation. But ever the amateur psychologist, Jim listened intently and, after we left, remarked about Vallee’s seemingly nervous demeanor. It may well be that the young scientist, who was in his mid-20s when we met him, was simply ill-at-ease in the presence of strangers. But Jim thought he had an undefined problem that only he would come to understand.

When I asked Jim about this offhand observation years later, however, he had no memory of the comment. Oh well.

A day or two later, and we were on our way to Palmer’s home. Our arrival was expected, and Palmer’s wife, Marjorie, had given Jim some details on how to find the out-of-the-way residence in the course of a couple of telephone conversations. Jim also had a map that we consulted in an effort to guide him along.

In 2017, a trip from Chicago to Amherst would take roughly three-and-a-half hours, mostly along interstate highways for an estimated 227 miles. But not all those freeways were constructed 52 years ago, so I recall a fair amount of motoring on two-lane county or country roads. At least they were paved.

We got lost, but when we asked someone at a service station where Palmer’s home was located, he knew. Such are the joys of small towns. A few moments later, we approached the place, but it wasn’t quite what I expected from the image conveyed in his newsstand magazines of the time. If you read his editorials in Flying Saucers and Search, you’d believe he lived in fairly modest surroundings, since he always seemed to be cash short. He regularly urged his readers to buy his merchandise to help fund his operations.

But perhaps a beautiful home in the middle of nowhere wasn’t all that expensive, because we came upon a lovely single-story residence overlooking a river.

We were greeted by Marjorie Palmer, who at first seemed a tad suspicious of us, or maybe she was wary in the presence of strangers. Although Palmer had a worldwide following from his days as a sci-fi writer and editor — he brought the Shaver Mystery to the world and co-founded Fate magazine — he was not a healthy person.

The very short middle-aged man who greeted us walked slowly, haltingly. He was crippled from a childhood accident, when he was struck by a truck, and his ability to get around was made worse by an serious accident some years later.

Palmer was ever the gracious host, however, and we formed a bond during the course of a 20-minute taped interview, where I asked questions mainly focused on Shaver and UFOs. The interview thus concluded, we all shared a few minutes of chit-chat until Marjorie came over and signaled to us that it was time.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the recording, and Jim didn’t seem to care so much about the interview. But I was particularly interested in one revelation about Richard S. Shaver, who claimed to have met up with subsurface beings over the years. Palmer claimed that Shaver was actually a patient in a mental institution during the time he was supposedly a captive in the caves.

That should have put an end to the matter, except that Palmer also said he believed Shaver. He even cited an example where he felt he had been subjected to an attempt at harm that was inflicted by one of those subsurface races, the evil deros.

Over the years, until his passing in 1977, I kept in touch with the Palmers. On a few occasions, I set up interviews with Ray on some paranormal radio shows in and around Philadelphia.

I also struck up a friendship with Shaver, who at first sharply disputed the contention that he had been in a mental care facility. But Palmer had it right, although it’s possible Shaver’s family railroaded him due to complex family reasons.

I later interviewed Shaver at his Arkansas home, and published a number of articles from him on a variety of subjects in my offbeat paranormal magazine, Caveat Emptor.

Shaver is largely forgotten these days except for his presence in biographies of Palmer. To comic book fans, the name Ray Palmer represents a superhero who invents a special suit that allows him to reduce himself to subatomic size. The character is also featured in three TV shows on The CW network, “Arrow,” “The Flash,” and “Legends of Tomorrow.”

And according to the Wikipedia entry on the origins of The Atom, “His civilian name, Ray Palmer, was an homage to science-fiction magazine editor Raymond A. Palmer.”

Thus an example of where art sort of imitated life.

Copyright 1999-2017 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back