• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — June 21, 2020

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
The Paracast Newsletter
June 21, 2020
www.theparacast.com

Psychic Medium Rona Anderson Reveals How She Communicates with Earthbound Spirits on The Paracast!

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE AT A SPECIAL LOW PRICE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an exclusive podcast, After The Paracast, plus an enhanced version of The Paracast with the network ads removed, when you join The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes on your device. Flash! For a limited time you can save up to 40% on your subscription. So act now! For the easiest signup ever, please visit: Choose Your Membership Upgrade

This Week's Episode: Gene and Randall introduce psychic medium Rona Anderson, one half of the husband-and-wife team from The Paranormal Explorers based in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, a city with a rich history of hauntings. Rona and Ben have have traveled to many haunted places in North America and overseas. She is a psychic medium who says she can communicate with earthbound spirits and remove them from people’s homes and businesses. The Paranormal Explorers have also been written about in three paranormal books: "Encyclopedia of Haunted Places: Ghostly Locales from Around the World," by Jeff Belanger, "Incredible True Stories of Ghostly Encounters" by Dorah L. Williams, and "Haunted Hospitals" by Rhonda Parrish. Rona is also coauthor of "Eerie Edmonton."

J. Randall Murphy's Ufology Society International: Ufology Society International (USI) - Explore the UFO Phenomenon

The Paranormal Explorers: The Paranormal Explorers

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively for Paracast+ subscribers on June 21: In Part II of a discussion that began on the June 21, 2020 episode of The Paracast, Gene and Randall present Rona Anderson, a psychic medium who says she can communicate with earthbound spirits and remove them from people’s homes and businesses. During this episode, Rona talks about her two UFO sightings, one of which was a relatively close encounter of a strange object. She also talks about investigating reports of goblin-like creatures, her ongoing role as a medium and how she manages to do her work. Rona and her husband, Ben, focus their efforts on the area in which they live, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. She can be contacted at her site, The Paranormal Explorers.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. Check out our new YouTube channel at: The Official Paracast Channel

Fifty Years Ago
By Gene Steinberg

1970 wasn’t a terribly good year for me. I had been working as an Assistant News Director for a country-themed radio station in Charleston, SC., with the emphasis on the word “had.”

One day, I dared to assume the role of investigative reporter, and gleaned a story about a series of personnel changes, mostly promotions, in the county government. In the scheme of things, it wasn’t much of a story, but they complained to station management. I mean seriously.

So I soon found myself holding my final check, with no prior notice, looking for a new gig.

While looking for another broadcast job, and living on my unemployment checks, I got involved with a local counterculture newspaper. At first, I just helped them do the production chores, but soon started to write columns of my own. With a pseudonym of course, since I didn’t want to tie my reputation as a broadcast journalist to any political movement.

This all happened during my first marriage to Geneva, and we were also involved in developing our own writing project, a new paranormal magazine.

It all came about when there was essentially a lull in sightings after the 1969 Condon Report poo-poohed their reality. In turn, the Air Force used it as an excuse the excuse to shutter Project Blue Book.

If there was ever a time to launch a new publication about the flying saucers, this surely wasn’t it, or maybe we hoped things would turn around.

But first we had to find a name for our new project. Just about every variation of UFO or flying saucer had been used, we thought, so we decided to look elsewhere. This begat Caveat Emptor.

Now that title might seem more suited to a publication about helping consumers avoid being gypped by crooked merchants. Indeed, we later learned that there was such a publication. For a while I even thought they would try to force us to change our name, and it’s not as if we had enough money to fend off a lawsuit.

But, no, they faded away. And we were still there. When asked why we chose the name, we responded, “Why not?”

From the first, we assembled a roster of people we thought would provide provocative content for the magazine. My old friend, Jim Moseley, had shed his involvement with Saucer News, and thus we recruited him as an occasional columnist.

We already had some exclusive content waiting to appear in print.

So back in 1965, I spent several days in the midwestern U.S. with such people as Jim, Allen Greenfield and Rick Hilberg on a journey to talk to some notables in the field. Or would-be notables, such as Jacques Vallee, whose first book, “Anatomy of a Phenomenon,” had been published. We spent an hour or two with him just talking shop at his hotel room in Chicago.

But the main goal was to visit the ever-elusive sci-fi and paranormal magazine writer and editor, Ray Palmer. I had become friends with Allen and Rick largely due to a column in Palmer’s magazine, “Flying Saucers,” devoted to news about saucer clubs.

I had made lifelong friends first as pen pals. The same was true about Geneva. We first became acquainted when she read a letter from me in a fantasy comic book, “Forbidden Worlds.” She wrote to the magazine asking them to forward her letter to me.

Which they did and thus our correspondence started. We didn’t actually meet until several years later.

In any case the day after meeting with Vallee, Jim drove us to Palmer’s home in Amherst, WI, about 225 miles away. The final leg of the journey was on two-lane country roads, and we only lucked into finding our final destination. We stumbled upon a gas station where we asked for directions. This was small town America, so the proprietor of that place knew where Palmer lived, and directed us.

I’m serious.

I recorded a 20-minute interview with Palmer, and he shared some fascinating information about his personal experiences mostly involving Richard Shaver and tales of evil subsurface dwellers known as deros.

The interview was broadcast on a radio show at a college station. I made a transcript and then filed it away until Caveat Emptor was being put together, and I made that transcript a feature article for the first issue.

Caveat Emptor was originally printed with a duplicating machine known as a mimeograph. You typed copy onto masters known as stencils, and the device would force ink into the spaces formed by a typewriter. Typing wasn’t easy, because you couldn’t just erase a mistake, although there was, as I recall, a substance that would paint over the mistake and allow you to retype the entry. But the corrections usually left some artifacts, so I ended up throwing away the stencil and starting over.

Remember that I was still volunteering for that street newspaper, and actively seeking another radio gig while the first issue of Caveat Emptor was being put together.

On the day that I received my last unemployment check, I got an offer for a new job at a station near Philadelphia, in Coatesville, PA. We had printed several hundred copies of Caveat Emptor, and it was ready to go except for a cover and, of course, collating the pages and stapling them together.

That waited till we moved to our new home.

Over the years, I had managed to assemble a small mailing list of friends and acquaintances interested in UFOs, and we used that as the basis for our original subscription solicitations. I also sent free copies to the people I knew best, largely to ask them to write articles.

As subscription revenue increased, we quickly set aside the mimeograph and found a local printer to handle the chores and help empty our bank account. A year or two later, I took on a second job assembling educational materials for a local school system, using a primitive cold typesetting device known as an IBM Composer.

It was even capable of justified output, but you had to type twice. With the permission of the management, they let me spend an hour or two every so often assembling Caveat Emptor on that device. I just had to pay for the carbon ribbons I used.

Caveat Emptor survived for 15 issues, until 1975, when our efforts to expand the magazine didn’t pan out. A local business venture had fallen on hard times, so I had to focus on making a living.

That was it for UFOs, at least for the next 13 years.

It was 1988, and, of a sudden, I had the inspiration to reassemble the old gang and revive Caveat Emptor. I had been working at a prepress plant in New York City, and management allowed me to commandeer the equipment during the early morning hours to do my own work. Well, so long as I didn’t waste too much expensive phototypesetting paper.

After a year or so, management encouraged me to seek another outlet for production of the magazine. I ended up doing all the desktop publishing on my Mac using a productivity app known as QuarkXPress.

Issue 23, published in 1990, was the last issue. It was time to move on, but it was fun, and I think we left a legacy of great material, including cutting-edge commentaries from some really great writers, and exclusive interviews of personalities in the paranormal field.

Although some of the material is surely out of date 30 years later, I think a lot of it is still relevant. So with the cooperation of researcher Isaac Koi, the entire Caveat Emptor library has been digitized and posted online.

You can check it out here:

These days, I have confined much my writing on the paranormal to this newsletter. But just the other day, a subscriber to The Paracast+ suggested I revise Caveat Emptor as a digital publication and offer it as a member-only premium.

I’m flattered, but I’m not at all inclined to want to return to the rat race, even if I could assemble a new roster of writers, or the members of our original team that are still with us. But the entire experience still gives me happy memories. That made it all worth it.

Copyright 1999-2020 The Paracast Company. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back