• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — July 30, 2017

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
July 30, 2017
www.theparacast.com

Author Dr. Irena Scott Presents a Fascinating UFO History on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to After The Paracast, plus a higher-quality version of The Paracast free of network ads, and chat rooms when you sign up for The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes, the Paracast+ Video Channel, episode transcripts, Special Features, Classic Episodes and there’s more to come! We’ve just begun to add podcasts and videos from Paul Kimball’s “Other Side of Truth.” Check out our new lower rates, starting at just $1.49 per week, plus our “Lifetime” membership and special free print and eBook book offers! For more information about our premium package, please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio.

This Week's Episode: Gene and guest co-host J. Randall Murphy present Dr. Irena Scott, author of “UFOs Today: 70 Years of Lies, Disinformation, and Government Cover-Up.” She takes us on a fascinating journey through the early days of the UFO mystery dating from the Kenneth Arnold sighting to later events, and how the government has treated these reports over the years. The book also covers the complexity of the phenomena, which has contributed to the difficulty and controversy in conducting this field of research. Dr. Scott’s work experience includes stints at the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and the DMA Aerospace Center. She has also written numerous articles for UFO and paranormal publications.

Chris O’Brien’s Blog: Our Strange Planet

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively to Paracast+ subscribers on July 30: Chris rejoins Gene and guest co-host J. Randall Murphy to talk about a suspicious mummy finding originating from Nazca Plain in Peru, and touted by Gaia TV and Jaime Maussan. So Chris went to Boulder, CO to examine the x-rays of these mummies, which had three-digit hands and feet. Having learned something about examining a x-rays due to sustaining many sports injuries over the years, Chris gives a brief but surprising analysis. The discussion moves to the appearance of Dr. Irena Scott on The Paracast to talk about her new UFO book, “UFOs Today,” which actually focuses a lot on UFOs of yesteryear. Chris briefly recounts his trip to the 2017 MUFON Symposium, which focused on an alleged secret space program. Is this yet another instance of ragging on MUFON? Listen and see!

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. Check out our new YouTube channel at: The Official Paracast Channel

Another Fascinating Memory of the Past
By Gene Steinberg

So thanks to UFO investigator and publisher Philip Mantle, I ran across a surprising photograph in a recent UFO book. Entitled, “UFOs Today: 70 Years of Lies, Disinformation, and Government Cover-Up,” it was written by Dr. Irena Scott, who has a fascinating work history.

You see, years ago she had stints at the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and the DMA Aerospace Center. More recently, she’s worked with MUFON, and has written articles about UFOs for several publications that include FATE magazine.

Well, Mantle sent me a copy of the electronic version of the book, and I went about reading it ahead of the episode in which Dr. Scott appears. Well, in the Acknowledgments at the beginning of the book, I saw a photograph of UFO and sci-fi writer/editor/publisher Ray Palmer.

Taken in 1965 at Palmer’s home in Amherst, Wisconsin, the photographer was UFO researcher Rick Hilberg. Those present also included Jim Moseley, Allen Greenfield — and your humble author. In fact, I interviewed Palmer for a radio show during that visit, one of the first interviews I did in preparing for my chosen career.

It was a surprising find, and it made me even more curious to learn about Dr. Scott’s work.

Now during that trip, our crew also met up with Jacques Vallee, who had written his first UFO book, “Anatomy of a Phenomenon: Unidentified Objects in Space – a Scientific Appraisal.”

We spent maybe an hour with Vallee at his hotel room in Chicago. I don’t recall much of what was said, mostly because I was dog tired from the trip, but Jim remarked, after the visit, how Vallee seemed a particularly nervous sort. Playing the amateur psychologist, Jim attempted to present a brief profile of Vallee’s personality. For better or worse, it’s not worth mentioning here.

But maybe Vallee just wasn't comfortable when dealing with strangers, especially our offbeat crew.

In any case, the next leg of our journey was a trip to Amherst, Wisconsin to visit Palmer. Jim had already arranged for the visit by telephone; remember this all happened decades before email became commonplace.

The 227-mile drive seemed to take forever, but Jim was comfortable with long distance trips of this sort, and so we all engaged in spirited conversation. But not so much about the reclusive personality we were soon to meet.

The final leg of the journey was on a two-lane country road, and we were absolutely convinced that we had gotten lost. The sign did say Amherst, and we soon came across a service station where I posed the obvious question: Did they know where Ray Palmer lived?

It may seem a silly question until you realize that Amherst, in 2016, had a population slightly above 1,000. It was no doubt in the hundreds in 1965, so it was fair to assume that everybody knew everybody.

My optimism was rewarded positively, as the service station proprietor gave us specific and simple instructions to Palmer’s home, which was located just a few miles away.

Sure enough, we arrived at a surprisingly large country home, with huge picture windows, which was located at the shores of the Tomorrow River. Despite Palmer’s claims of living in modest circumstances, this home was not at all modest. I didn’t take note of its size, nor inquire of the number of rooms, so I won’t even try to suggest what it would cost now, assuming it was kept in good repair.

We were met by Palmer’s wife, Marjorie, who came across as unusually protective towards her husband. Having read articles about his life, I could understand. Seriously injured in a truck accident as a child, Palmer grew up a hunchback, his height limited to maybe 4 feet 10 inches or so.

When he first appeared, he walked over to us in halting steps, but had a friendly smile on his face, and he greeted us with strong handshakes.

After a few moments of chit-chat, I asked him if he’d consent to an interview. We brought along a small reel-to-reel tape recorder; the Compact Cassette was only introduced by Philips two years earlier and had yet to become a commercial phenomenon.

Palmer was a skilled interviewee, and each brief question brought forth very detailed responses. Over 20 minutes or so, Palmer focused heavily on his involvement in the Shaver Mystery, about a man who claimed to be in contact with beings who lived in caverns beneath the surface of the Earth.

I only later realized how calculated Palmer was in presenting information to us. So, during the course of the interview, he revealed that the subject of this mystery, Richard Shaver, had spent several years in a mental institution during the time that he claimed to be living with subterranean dwellers. Those beings were identified as deros, for the bad guys, and teros, for the good guys.

Despite the truth behind some of these encounters, Palmer asserted that he believed Shaver, and he recounted a telltale episode in which he evidently confronted the wrath of the deros and their powerful mental rays.

So Palmer was preparing a special issue of Amazing Stories, the sci-fi magazine he edited, which would contain scientific proof of the Shaver Mystery. He was taking typeset galleys to the printer in his car when someone in another vehicle supposedly attempted to run him down.

Our visit ended far too early. I had a lot more questions, but it was time to go.

Not long thereafter, I wrote to Shaver directly and asked about Palmer’s revelation. He denied spending time in a mental facility, though I later read a book chapter in which it was claimed that he may have been railroaded due to the actions of a family member.

I never met Palmer again, though I called him a few times, and even arranged for a couple of additional radio appearances.

My first wife, Geneva and I kept up a regular correspondence with Shaver, who was nothing if not prolific. As serious as he seemed in his letters, we discovered his sly sense of humor when we finally visited him at his cottage home in Summit, Arkansas some years later.

In her book, Dr. Scott recognized Ray Palmer as being highly infliuential during the early days of the modern UFO era. But Palmer used to boast that it was Shaver who first revealed the existence of flying saucers in the pages in Amazing Stories.

In an article published years later, that cutting-edge writer and theorist on the UFO mystery, John Keel, wrote that Palmer was, for all practical purposes, the inventor of the flying saucer saga. I can believe him.

So all it took was a single photograph in someone’s book to unlock some enjoyable memories.

Copyright 1999-2017 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back