• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — January 5, 2014

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
January 5, 2014

The Paracast Explores Giants and UFOs in Israel

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 2:00 AM until 5:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Important — Please Read! In a separate email, Paracast host Gene Steinberg has made a personal appeal for emergency financial assistance. Please check that message for further details. If you’re able to assist, please note that we have a Donatelink on our home page, below the logo and audio player. There's also a Donate link on our forums, at the bottom of the sidebar on the right. Or just send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

About The Paracast: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host and acclaimed field investigator Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris introduce long-time investigative journalist and author Barry Chamish. Barry is best known for his Israeli number one bestseller, "Who Murdered Yitzhak Rabin." His research on a bizarre Israeli UFO wave led to five episodes of "Sightings." His work led to a book called "Return of the Giants." And, whether you accept the murder of JFK as a possible conspiracy, did you ever consider whether the death of his son, JFK Jr., in a plane crash was also the result of a conspiracy? You'll hear about all this and more in this wide-ranging interview.

Chris O'Brien's Site: http://www.ourstrangeplanet.com

Barry Chamish’s Site: http://www.barrychamish.com

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. We recently completed a major update that makes our community easier to navigate, and social network friendly.

Sponsored Message: Don’t get ripped off when you need to liquidate your precious jewelry and silverware. Call Steve at Numis Gems at (480) 878-7678 and get the straight scoop!

Will You Be Around When the UFO Mystery is Solved?
By Gene Steinberg

I don’t want to worry anyone. I hope that listeners to The Paracast will be around for many years to come. In saying that, though, I do not expect many of you will be here when or if a solution to the UFO enigma is found.

This may seem a very negative statement, but I have the experience of several decades in the field to fall back on. What’s more, I’ve heard loads of predictions of the imminent arrival of ET to set us on the straight and narrow about our evil ways. I’ve heard how the right amount of pressure on government officials will force disclosure, a revelation of the truth about the strange objects that have been in our skies for oh so many years.

But none of it ever seems to happen.

Many of you got interested in the subject from those early best-selling books by Major Donald E. Keyhoe, a retired Marine officer, who was working as an aviation writer at the time. He mined his military sources to get exclusive reports about some of those early UFO sightings. He even cozied up to the folks who ran the Air Force’s Project Bluebook, and got even more fascinating cases.

To Keyhoe, it was all very simple. UFOs represented visits by aliens from other planets. At the time, with many still believing that Mars had real canals, he wrote about possible Martians. Regardless of where they came from, the solution merely involved the government telling us that they were convinced ET was here, and our society was mature enough to deal with the consequences.

It all sounded encouraging to my young mind, but I later realized the shortcomings in Keyhoe’s naive viewpoint. No, Congress did not consist of honest brokers, and even if they were convinced of the reality of UFOs, there would be serious political implications that had to be confronted. What if, for example, members of intelligence-related committees were given top secret briefings that there was really nothing to UFOs? What if they were informed that they were real, but it was a matter of national security and they were urged not to say anything?

When Congress finally held hearings on UFOs in 1966, we ended up with the Condon Committee, which released a voluminous report two years later that is regarded by many as a whitewash of the subject. But what did you expect?

Keyhoe and the UFO organization he headed, the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP), lobbied heavily for such hearings. He really seemed to believe that, once Congress had a chance take a fair look at the evidence, they’d take it seriously enough to change the government’s approach to the subject. The truth was out there, and we’d know it before long.

Well, the Air Force used the Condon Report as an excuse to shutter Project Blue Book, but the tiny agency was largely believed to consist of little more than a public relations operation. They really weren’t doing much, or any, serious research. It was all designed to throw a curious public — and particularly writers of flying saucer books and magazines — a few bones so everyone would be mollified.

But the UFO mystery clearly didn’t end with the Condon Report or the decision to close Project Blue Book. There were still periodic waves of sightings, but there was no official agency in the U.S. to answer anyone’s questions, particularly from the media who wondered what was going on. The answer was always the same. Project Blue Book investigated the phenomenon for a number of years and concluded there was no evidence that UFOs were spaceships or represented a threat to our national security. Perhaps they’d cite the Condon Report in support of that statement. That, as they say, was that.

Other countries didn’t take the hint. From the Ministry of Defense in the UK to agencies in Brazil and elsewhere, the investigations continued. From time to time, huge volumes of data were released, but there was no smoking gun to speak of. Strange things might be happening, but none of those revelations delivered proof positive that UFOs were alien, or represented an unknown phenomenon of any kind. That did not stop the public from reporting strange aerial events — and occasionally landed objects — all over the world.

UFO sightings have, as most of you know full well, persisted to this very day. Just the other day The Paracast received the news that some 200 UFO sightings were reported to Peter Davenport’s National UFO Reporting Center (NUFORC) on New Year’s Eve 2013. This represented the largest number of sightings received by that organization on a single day since the Phoenix Lights occurred back in 1997.

Clearly, whatever the UFOs are, they haven’t left us. Sure, perhaps many of those 200 cases were simply conventional objects or phenomena of one sort or another. That’s the way it has always been. The actual number of unknowns is usually around five or ten percent. But the small number of unexplained cases is still highly significant. It would take, in fact, a single sighting of a provable event to demonstrate something strange was going on. Just one sighting, and there have been many thousands that continue to defy explanation.

Unfortunately decades of research has not produced any positive results. The UFO mystery remains unexplained. Despite the claims of some that a solution is at hand, it hasn’t happened. Despite the claims of some that they have actually met the beings who fly the UFOs, those claims remain unproven. Despite the promise of imminent disclosure year after year, it never happens.

Even last spring’s faux hearings on UFOs in Washington, D.C. were largely forgotten days after the event. Special events at the National Press Club, featuring military pilots and other trained observers who have seen UFOs, have failed to convince the authorities in the U.S. to take it seriously.

Well, maybe they are taking it seriously behind the scenes, and there have been alleged whistleblowers who have made that very claim. Again, there’s never any proof.

And so it goes. Year after year, the UFOs tantalize and intrigue us, but we have come no closer to a solution. Will that ever change? I hope so, and I hope I’m around to see a solution, wherever it leads.

Copyright 1999-2014 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

There's a new product for UFO buffs. You may have seen the advertisements for it under another name.
The tease of Disclosure keeps saucer fiends running in circles for decades of fun!

THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER January 5, 2013

... And so it goes. Year after year, the UFOs tantalize and intrigue us, but we have come no closer to a solution. Will that ever change? I hope so, and I hope I’m around to see a solution, wherever it leads.

The UFO enigma is not a solvable problem in the traditional sense. Imagine the following hypothetical scenario:

475 years in the future we have finally established ongoing relations with the aliens that buzzed Washington D.C. in 1952. We're as used to them as we are of our own cultures. For the sake of convenience let's call them the Pleiadians, and we're so used to them that we no longer consider them to be aliens. Then one day one of our space stations gets a flyby by a craft that is seen and captured by monitoring equipment and tracked to the extent that we're sure beyond any reasonable doubt that it's neither of human nor Pleiadian origin. What is it we wonder? The answer is that because isn't anything we know about, then the only thing it can be is an alien craft, a ufo.

We can just as easily imagine the above scenario repeating itself ad infinitum off into some distant future. So what's the point? Ufology is a subject of study that has no solution, no final answer. All we can do is evaluate the evidence we currently have at any given time. When we do that at this point in time, we find that even without verifiable material evidence, it's still entirely reasonable to believe alien visitation is a reality. Beyond that are all the shadowy details, but the essential question has already been answered.

So why do we still find so many people in a state of denial? Have we become so socially conditioned that in order to spare ourselves the indignities of admitting the truth we would rather enter into this state of denial? It would seem so. Back in the late 1940s when the UFO phenomenon first became big news it wasn't a taboo subject. It was something of great interest to everyone. The mockery and ridicule came later with the likes of the Robertson Panel, CIA, the Condon Commission, and the rise of modern skepticism.

So now instead of being able to openly discuss the subject, we've been forced into approaching it with caution and fear. It takes courage to come forward. So maybe authors like Tim Good should feel a sense of personal accomplishment in being able to express their beliefs and experiences without shame. Maybe instead of writing his reports off as the eccentricities of a fringe author, we should try imagining ourselves in a similar situation and honestly ask ourselves if we wouldn't be similarly affected by the experiences he describes.

Most importantly, maybe those who know the truth shouldn't be so concerned about proving it to the skeptics and scientists, and instead find a way to unite as a family of fellow witnesses who already know alien visitation is a reality. I don't know exactly how to accomplish that, but sprinkled between the posers, hoaxers, disinformation agents, misidentifications, hallucinations and everything else, I have no doubt that there is a segment of the population who have had sufficiently unambiguous firsthand experiences to know that alien visitation has taken place. Those people are the living evidence, and it's a shame that they've been marginalized as much as they have.

Last edited:
The UFO enigma is not a solvable problem in the traditional sense. Imagine the following hypothetical scenario:

Most importantly, maybe those who know the truth shouldn't be so concerned about proving it to the skeptics and scientists, and instead find a way to unite as a family of fellow witnesses who already know alien visitation is a reality. I don't know exactly how to accomplish that, but sprinkled between the posers, hoaxers, disinformation agents, misidentifications, hallucinations and everything else, I have no doubt that there is a segment of the population who have had sufficiently unambiguous firsthand experiences to know that alien visitation has taken place. Those people are the living evidence, and it's a shame that they've been marginalized as much as they have.

I have been quietly (secretly?) studying paranormal phenomena for over 40 years. I have spent thousands of dollars on books, videos, night vision video cameras. I burned vacation time and more money on motel rooms in Pine Bush, NY and Gulf Breeze, FL, where I discovered the hard truth about most writers of UFO books. Unfortunately, I have yet to discover compelling evidence for anything paranormal, despite some weird resonance in my head telling me that there is "something out there". So, I can relate to your sentiment, but I can't accept your premise. To accept, as truth, the "experiences" of others would be no different than accepting a religion based on the word of prophets and psychics. I wouldn't denigrate someone who has had a UFO experience, and I might even envy them a bit, but please don't ask me to accept their experiences as gospel.

I have been quietly (secretly?) studying paranormal phenomena for over 40 years. I have spent thousands of dollars on books, videos, night vision video cameras. I burned vacation time and more money on motel rooms in Pine Bush, NY and Gulf Breeze, FL, where I discovered the hard truth about most writers of UFO books. Unfortunately, I have yet to discover compelling evidence for anything paranormal, despite some weird resonance in my head telling me that there is "something out there". So, I can relate to your sentiment, but I can't accept your premise. To accept, as truth, the "experiences" of others would be no different than accepting a religion based on the word of prophets and psychics. I wouldn't denigrate someone who has had a UFO experience, and I might even envy them a bit, but please don't ask me to accept their experiences as gospel.

Hi pduchesne, great post and welcome to the forum! I respect anyone who has gone out and done field work. I wish I could afford to do more of it myself. I also agree with the spirit of what you're saying. I have often said that although my own sighting left no doubt in my own mind about alien visitation, I don't expect other people to simply believe me. Some do, but I think that a portion of those who do also recognize that I have a reputation for critical thinking and that it is precisely my skeptical mindset, analytical approach, and acceptance of other people's healthy skepticism that gives me some credibility.

The other point I was making is that while we shouldn't blindly accept claims without some kind of evidence, there is still a point in ufology where it becomes unreasonable to think that the mass of reports that have been accumulating over the years are all misidentifications, fabrications, or hallucinations. So although we may not be able to pinpoint with certainty which individuals have seen a UFO ( alien craft ), it's still reasonable to believe some people sprinkled among the population through history have.

My closing comment is that in the strictest sense, I think a strong case can be made that UFOs are not a paranormal phenomena. For example, the Encarta dictionary defines the word "paranormal" as,
"impossible to explain scientifically: unable to be explained or understood in terms of scientific knowledge." So although UFOs ( alien craft ) have not yet been explained scientifically, I would argue that there is nothing unscientific about the possibility of interstellar travel or alien visitation. Also, because UFOs ( alien craft ) appear to be material objects with a specific shape that employ some kind of propulsion system, in simplest terms, they're machines. Therefore they could be explained scientifically if we had sufficient access to them. These points move UFOs ( the core subject matter of ufology ) out of the realm of the paranormal.

In contrast things like psychic phenomena and so-called spiritual phenomena ( angels, demons, gods from some other realm, etc ) all reside in the realm of subjective experience or the supernatural. They are by their very nature beyond the reach of empirical science ( though there remains some debate on that with respect to certain psychic phenomena ). This makes comparisons between belief in religion and belief in alien visitation significantly different. It's not really like accepting a religion based on the word of prophets and psychics.

That's not to say that I still don't agree with your essential point about it being reasonable to ask for some evidence, only that in my view, depending on the story, someone claiming that they saw a UFO ( alien craft ) is in my view far more believable than someone claiming to have been visited by the Archangel Gabriel, or witches on broomsticks.

Last edited:
Is it true that entity sightings are down significantly from decades ago, and if so, what could be some possible reasons for this?

Good question. I don't know. But I'm tempted to speculate that they've left and the sightings we see now are of automated craft, or that they've taken on a policy of non-contact, or have learned to blend in. Perhaps there is some combination of all three possibilities going on.

Good question. I don't know. But I'm tempted to speculate that they've left and the sightings we see now are of automated craft, or that they've taken on a policy of non-contact, or have learned to blend in. Perhaps there is some combination of all three possibilities going on.
Do you believe we're dealing with extraterrestrials primarily, or is your thinking more in line with Chris and Gene's views that we're dealing with some phenomena that likely encompasses the paranormal? I know you tend to keep a broad outlook by using the term "alien craft" but it seems that your view is more likely the former.

It's unfortunate, because with all of the new surveillance technologies available, I would have hoped that some aliens would have been caught on film already. Of course those technologies usually don't work when alien craft are nearby anyway, but maybe someone would come up with a magnetically shielded version. Of course, there would need to be more entity encounters to put this to the test.

That's not to say that I still don't agree with your essential point about it being reasonable to ask for some evidence, only that in my view, depending on the story, someone claiming that they saw a UFO ( alien craft ) is in my view far more believable than someone claiming to have been visited by the Archangel Gabriel, or witches on broomsticks.

Well, I guess I should have researched some of your older posts before leaping to the conclusion that you were trying to start a cult ;)
Your comment struck a nerve because it highlighted an internal struggle I've always had where I resist the urge to give more weight to personal anecdotes because I want them to be true. I have always assumed I would eventually get this stuff figured out, at least to my own satisfaction, but I am coming to terms with the likelihood that I will exit this plane with most of these mysteries intact. If I had my own experience that was similar to others' I wouldn't have this problem. But noooo. Stupid aliens.

It's unfortunate, because with all of the new surveillance technologies available, I would have hoped that some aliens would have been caught on film already. Of course those technologies usually don't work when alien craft are nearby anyway, but maybe someone would come up with a magnetically shielded version. Of course, there would need to be more entity encounters to put this to the test.

IF there ever were aliens flying around the atmosphere, our increase in surveillance capability could be the reason for their increased discretion.

Do you believe we're dealing with extraterrestrials primarily, or is your thinking more in line with Chris and Gene's views that we're dealing with some phenomena that likely encompasses the paranormal? I know you tend to keep a broad outlook by using the term "alien craft" but it seems that your view is more likely the former.

Excellent question, and please forgive me if I once again tread over old ground here. When it comes to UFOs, I spent some time tracing the word back to its original origins, which most people are aware, is with the USAF. But I also went much further than that by adapting the book by the person who created the word into an entire section on the USI website, and sifted through the NARA microfiche files to locate actual official documents that use the word, including the various iterations of how the word was officially defined and used.

I also traced its popular definitions in contemporary dictionaries and examined how it is used in modern culture, including the Internet, then combined all that information to form a highly accurate and independent picture of what the word UFO ( or ufo ) means and how it should be used. Why did I go to all that effort for a seemingly self-explanatory acronym? Because the word has been exploited by skeptics and misused so often that I felt it was time to take a definitive and defensible stand on what the core subject of ufology is dealing with.

So now to answer your question, when I say that the word UFO is used to convey the idea of an alien craft, I use the word "alien" in a fairly broad sense. I mean something from beyond the boundaries and constructs of our global civilization, including any classified projects known to our world governments, military, and corporate entities. The word "alien" doesn't necessitate ET, but does carry an extraterrestrial connotation, which I think is just fine because the ETH is arguably the most reasonable theory of the bunch.

All that being said, I don't think there is any doubt that the objects in many UFO reports aren't UFOs. They're the usual misidentifications, and these days to a much greater extent, due to the popularity of YouTube and FX software, are fabrications.

IF there ever were aliens flying around the atmosphere, our increase in surveillance capability could be the reason for their increased discretion.

I think that is a very reasonable theory. Not only do we have better detection capability, we also have much better interception capability. I don't think we have anything that can come close to the performance of UFOs, but we do represent enough of a threat for them to give our military a wide berth most of the time. Perhaps now and then they test our capabilities by toying with our defense networks and aircraft, but generally speaking, the evasive ability of UFOs appears to have been kicked up a notch since the Early Modern Era ( in ufology ).

Back