• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — January 26, 2020

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
January 26, 2020

www.theparacast.com

Journalist Leslie Kean Discusses UFOs and Life After Death on The Paracast

The Paracast
is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE AT A SPECIAL LOW PRICE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an exclusive podcast, After The Paracast, plus an enhanced version of The Paracast with the network ads removed, when you sign up for The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes, the Paracast+ Video Channel, episode transcripts, Special Features, Classic Episodes and there’s more to come! So act now! Check out Introducing The Paracast+ — Five Years and Growing! | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio for more details about The Paracast+.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Randall present a return appearance by journalist Leslie Kean, who co-authored a groundbreaking front page story for The New York Times about a previously secret Pentagon program studying UFOs. In 2010, her book "UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record" (Crown Publishing Group, 2010) was a New York Times bestseller. She is also the author of "Surviving Death: A Journalist Investigates Evidence for an Afterlife." During this interview, Leslie talks of her inspirations for the book about life after death, which included regular consultations with two mediums, and possible communications with her dead brother, and even the late abduction researcher Budd Hopkins, with whom she had a close relationship.

J. Randall Murphy's Ufology Society International: Ufology Society International (USI) - Explore the UFO Phenomenon

William Puckett's Blog: UFO Reporting Center, Latest UFO Sightings & News.

Leslie Kean's Site: Surviving Death: A Journalist Investigates Evidence For An Afterlife

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively for Paracast+ subscribers on January 26: Gene and Randall present Part II of an interview that began with journalist Leslie Kean on the January 26, 2020 episode of The Paracast. In this segment, Leslie participates in a discussion about the possible UFO and paranormal connection. Speaking about her 2017 book, "Surviving Death: A Journalist Investigates Evidence for an Afterlife," Leslie also talks briefly about ghosts or apparitions, near-death experience, and the possibilities of reincarnation. Leslie is working with a production company to produce a six-part documentary based on this book.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. Check out our new YouTube channel at: The Official Paracast Channel

Destined to Return?
By Gene Steinberg

My memories of my childhood are very scattershot, particularly in the early years. So I do recall lying in a crib feeling unhappy and being visited by someone from another room. Or was it my imagination?

From there, I don’t remember much about my preteen life. But there was the time, while I was in grade school, when I made a clay sculpture, so to speak, and stuck it on a living room wall. As I recall, it depicted some kind of creature with a long, thin head, and a snake-like body. And yes, my parents only tolerated its presence briefly before taking it down.

I realize you might see an obvious connection here, but I have no memories whatever of seeing a UFO or suffering from missing time.

Then there were those nightmares of a huge black object moving rapidly towards me, at which time I woke up in a cold sweat. Around that time, I kept sensing an odor, a burning odor that I recall as resembling burnt sulphur.

I even had an imaginary friend, something or someone that somehow spoke to me amongst the raindrops. I didn’t have a lot of friends in those days, and my mom soon discouraged me from such “silly” pursuits.

When I read about children losing certain abilities as they grow up and become assimilated in society, I can sympathize with the idea. But I don’t recall possessing any paranormal powers. Not in the least!

But one memory I’ve never had was that of a previous life. I’ve rarely felt deja vu when visiting a place, that I had possibly been there before.

Synchronicity is another story.

Yet some people do have such memories, and thus arises the theory of reincarnation, that, upon death, your soul is released and eventually occupies a new host.

On the surface, it almost sounds closer to possession that a natural evolutionary process of a sort. That certainly evokes images of certain horror films involving people taken over by presumed demons.

There’s a CBS TV show, “Evil,” which depicts such happenings and other paranormal episodes. It’s produced by Robert and Michelle King, who created such smart programs as “The Good Wife.” One of its stars, Mike Colter, is best known as a Marvel comics hero, Luke Cage.

In any case, the first time I heard about reincarnation was on the Long John Nebel radio show back in the early 1960s, broadcast then on WOR in New York. This was the paranormal radio show that set the standard.

The guest was Morey Bernstein, a businessman and author of the best-selling book, “The Search for Bridey Murphy.”

The book told the tale of the peculiar results Bernstein’s efforts at performing hypnotic regression. Remember that he was strictly an amateur, and I wonder if he knew any more about hypnotism than I did. I dabbled in such matters in my late teens.

Well, one of Bernstein’s subjects, identified Virginia Tighe of Pueblo, Colorado, had memories of a prior life while undergoing regression. In the trance, she became one Bridey Murphy, a woman who purportedly lived in the 18th and 19th centuries in Cork, Ireland, but without the telltale accent.

Tighe’s recollections included Murphy’s marriage, her life and her death, as the result of a fall. She even described her funeral, her tombstone, and her existence in the afterlife.

The book became an international best seller, but it appears that attempts to verify the existence of Bridey Murphy came up short; there was no record of the existence of such a person.

So what was Tighe recalling? Evidently a real life woman, an Irish immigrant, named Bride Murphy Corkell, who lived across the street from Tigue’s home when she was a child.

Skeptics, such as Michael Shermer, attributed the episode to something known as “cryptomnesia.” The term describes the return of a forgotten memory that strikes the subject as something new.

I’m not about to dispute that conclusion. It sounds perfectly reasonable, and it does raise concerns about untrained people attempting to perform hypnotic regression. It is certainly possible that some memories of alleged abductions by aliens may have been triggered by leading questions that directed the subject to remember something that never happened.

Now Bridey Murphy isn’t the first nor the last person to recall what appeared to be a past life. I wouldn’t presume to suggest that all of the other episodes were also the result of a flawed hypnotic technique, since hypnosis isn’t always involved.

When you hear of stories of children recalling specific details about possible past lives and places they never visited, you have to wonder just what is going on. Or is it just about hearing stories from relatives and friends?

So if you believe in reincarnation, it means you accept the possibility of a soul living a number of lives. Some suggest that the individual is meant to achieve some spiritual goal, in which case they pass on to a higher vibratory plane.

But if they repeat the same mistakes during the lives, they are fated to stay on Earth and live a new life.

And so it goes.

The flaw about this theory is obvious. Not everyone recalls a past life and is thus in any position to atone for ones sins, if that’s what is required.

But even if such memories actually represent something genuine, it doesn’t mean that someone is recalling their prior existence. I suppose it’s always possible they are recalling the life of a totally separate individual, another soul.

If that’s the case, perhaps they are tapping into a source that stores memories of past lives, a universal consciousness. But that assumes they didn’t read about it somewhere, or they are taking a real experience and fleshing out the extra details.

But if there is such a thing as reincarnation, where your essence or soul is reborn in another body, is that the normal process among living beings? I mean does my bichon, Teddy Bear, contain the soul of a dog or other animal that lived previously? Is that the nature of things?

Although it had nothing to do with reincarnation, it does bring to mind some lyrics from a song written by Paul Simon in the 1960s: “Prior to this lifetime, I surely was a tailor.”

Copyright 1999-2020 The Paracast Company. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back