• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter -- January 20, 2013

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
January 20, 2013

Mysterious Cattle Deaths and Mutilations Explored on The Paracast

Special Announcement: The Paracast is heard Sundays from 2:00 AM until 5:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Why It's Important for You to Donate to The Paracast: Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough to pay your humble hosts decent wages. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network or local stations. So we hope you're able to help fill the gap, if you can, to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch and utility bills. No contribution is too small (or too large :). It’s easy to send a donation. We have a Donate link on our home page, below the logo and audio player. There's also a Donate link on our forums, at the bottom of the sidebar on the right. Or just send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com. And if you’ve had a problem getting to our Donate screen, please try again. We just fixed a serious PayPal access problem, and it should work properly now.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

About The Paracast: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host and acclaimed field investigator Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris present a special episode focusing on the subject of "cattle mutilations," which been popularized by people such investigators as Linda Moulton Howe, who have laid the blame for these mysterious livestock deaths on "aliens." But there are cases of unsolved livestock deaths that have sinister, more down-to-earth overtones. Case in point: Werner Bock and other ranchers of the Maritime Provinces of Canada. For almost 40 years, these ranchers have been victimized by what could be described as a systematic campaign of terror and death. Bock will explain his frustrating attempts over the years to understand what happened to his livestock and who caused it.

Chris O'Brien's Site: Our Strange Planet

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. We recently completed a major update that makes our community easier to navigate, and social network friendly.

Time Travelers and UFOs
By Gene Steinberg

For years, I’ve argued against the assumption that, if UFOs, if real, must come from outer space. That theory may seem perfectly logical considering that we have discovered evidence of more and more planets, orbiting other star systems, which may be similar to Earth, and thus may contain life. Assuming some are more advanced than we are, they would conceivably spread across the stars with advanced spaceships, so it seems to make sense that we are a regular stopover for ETs.

Wouldn’t they be curious, after all, about other intelligent races in the galaxy? Or maybe we think too much of ourselves.

But that’s not proven by any means. It’s not as if we have real evidence of intelligent life beyond Earth, so why not consider some alternatives? One of those alternative theories has it that they are visitors from our own future, and that raises a load of possibilities, some potentially troubling.

Certainly time travel has been a ripe source of possibilities that have fed lots of sci-fi stories and even a number of movies. The most famous of the breed is probably H.G. Wells “The Time Machine,” written in 1895. In addition to theatrical movies in 1960 and 2002, and a TV movie in 1978, “The Time Machine” has inspired the plot lines of other TV and movie productions. In the Sy-Fy TV series “Warehouse 13,” they even have a female character named H.G. Wells who, of course, is able to travel through time.

In the 1979 movie, “Time After Time,” we see Wells traveling to the present day in his time machine to battle Jack the Ripper. Wells also turns up in several episodes of that TV comedy/drama of the early 1990s, “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.”

But is there any evidence that such a thing is possible, and not only possible, that it has actually happened?

Well, during a recent appearance on a nationally syndicated computer radio show, “Craig Crossman’s Computer America,” I was asked to spend an hour talking about UFOs and other mysteries; for a change of pace I suppose. During that discussion, Crossman suggested I have a look at a curious YouTube video of a 1920’s Charlie Chaplin silent film. This segment, lasting all of two minutes, 19 seconds, depicts one character walking with what appears to be a portable handset of some sort.

Considering that we saw the progenitor to the clamshell mobile phone in the 1960s in “Star Trek,” I suppose it’s reasonable to believe that some screenwriter in the early part of the 20th century imagined people using portable telephones. After all, we do have sci-fi movies of that era showing travel in space, so why assume that a time traveler of some sort, or perhaps an extraterrestrial visitor, must be responsible for such a segment in an old movie?

But what if there were actually people who were dressed in a peculiar fashion, or were otherwise out of time? Well, if you look over the Fortean literature over the centuries, you will find reports of people of this sort. And assuming they weren’t just wearing costumes for some sort of social gathering, why the anomaly? After all, one would think that if someone was smart enough to travel through time, they’d be smart enough to dress appropriately for the purpose. Why draw attention to themselves? Maybe it’s all a lark and they just don’t care.

But that takes us to the core problem that may arise with time travel, which is how do you avoid doing something that messes up your own future? Would they have computers on hand that would assess the probabilities, or just go for broke and assume it’s all meant to be anyway, so it doesn’t matter? This time travel paradox is also a big part of some of the sci-fi fare over the years.

I think of the fourth motion picture in the “Star Trek” series, “The Voyage Home,” directed with a light touch by Leonard Nimoy. There’s a scene in which Scotty and Dr. McCoy visit a glass maker in the 1980s, as the former uses a 1985 Apple Macintosh computer to create the design for “transparent aluminum,” so they could assemble a huge tank in which to transport a pair of humpback whales to the 23rd century.

When McCoy asks Scotty whether he has just damaged the timeline, Scotty responds with a twinkle in his eye, to the effect that how do we know that the fellow who ran that plant didn’t invent it? That offhand remark was used to explain away the potential impact to the timeline.

The TV genre show, “Fringe,” which wrapped up its five-year run this week, deftly manipulated time travel and alternate universe plot lines. Without spoiling your enjoyment of the final two episodes, let me just say that our hapless heroes were trying to find a way to send someone to the future to undo the damage done to early 21st century Earth by the “watchers,” a curious group of visitors from the future, inspired by the Men In Black.

Not to be outdone, the new Sy-Fy series, “Continuum,” depicts a group of rebels from the year 2077, who return to the present day to wreak havoc. They are followed by a police detective who somehow managed to catch hold of the time travel energy wave.

Now none of this means that we really do have time travelers in our midst, either from our own future, or some other world. Nor does it mean that there isn’t an element of space travel and interdimensional travel involved.

To be sure, the UFO mystery is incredibly complicated. While it may be comforting to find just one answer for all the unknowns, the sightings that do not carry conventional explanations, it’s too early in the game to dismiss evidence that doesn’t seem to fit in any sensible category.

When I hear about time travel, I do wonder what it would be like to go through time to undo one’s own mistakes. What would happen if I met up with an earlier version of myself anyway? Would the whole universe go poof? But think of the scene in “Looper,” where the older version of the protagonist, portrayed by Bruce Willis, first meets his younger self, portrayed by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who has been ordered to assassinate his older counterpart. Talk about confusing.to have more information about these potential books in the near future.

The Paracast Copyright 1999-2013 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

A couple of years ago I was collecting all the papers and articles I could find on time travel and how theoretical physicists were trying to find a way around the potential paradoxes that could arise by just explaining in such a way (scholarly) that no matter how hard one could try, one cannot undo what had been already done, time or destiny or whatever would see to it that what ever was recorded as happening would happen, come hell or high water, ipso facto, no paradoxes, therefore time travel was a possibility. This was a rather simplistic rationalization I thought but for awhile I thought I could see what they were getting at.

But then I thought of another paradox.if one accepts the observer affect as a valid argument would not that cancel out the "no paradox" theory ? Granted the observer effect is for things on a quantum level but most arguments I've heard also say it's valid on a macro level i.e. "us". therefore it would seen that all the computing power in the world won't help from helping to avoid any paradoxes if your mere presence is enough to alter things, even If it could be minimized, which is to say the time line for the "main event" is kept intact there is bound to be changes to the surrounding events and this would happen every time someone goes back in time. There would be hundreds if not thousands of people that have yet to be born (in our current timeline) that would want to be a part of the crucifixion of christ, the the singing of the constitution our the assassination of lincoln and that would mean each time this was done events could be altered even in a miniscule way. Someone is bound to slip up and sneeze or bump into the wrong person. This would seen to mean that even a minor event such as my birth could be in a constant state of flux all due to a bunch of future tourists. I could wake up tomorrow and be married or three years older or five years younger because another group of future travelers yet again altered a timeline that yet again affects the logistics behind the meeting of my ancestors either alive at the time of the event being observed or several generations in the future. The very fact that I live to see another day could very well depends on the non actions of someone that has yet to be born. That's pretty hard for me to wrap my feeble brain around. With the billions upon billions of people that are, have been, or will be, it's hard to accept that time travelers could not have an impact on their lives no matter how careful they are and that would include the future time travelers themselves as each group of travelers would threaten another group the furthur back one goes.

And what of the future itself, if something that is yet to happenin our timeline, say two days from now in actuality be preordained because someone yet to be born in our timeline hundreds of years from now, had set in motion the events that would make the yet to happen event a done deal because the futuristic time traveler(s) wanted to virtually participate in the signing of the magna carta ? And could this event that is due to happen in two days get delayed or canceled because a subsequent group unknowingly altered that very same timeline by viewing an event that happened even earlier and completely unrelated to the magna carta viewers? Or maybe we should go with the concept that the furthest most one could time travel back to is the date that the vehicle behind the traveling is invented which means that for the time being the integrity of time is safe. That is unless someone or something invented time travel a thousand years ago in a furthur advanced civilization on another planet and decided to introduce it into our existence, what then? Would one be able to go back a thousand years (the creation of the machine) or only as far back as back as the discovery/introduction of the machine in our ecosystem?

I did hear of an intetesting argument once...and I forgot where I saw it...if anybody knows of the source please post it, it but the context was that if a certain event occurred and no one was around to witness the event in question then the circumstances of said event could be altered without fear of paradoxes. It kind of sounds like a corrallary (spl?) of the observer effect.

I did hear of an intetesting argument once...and I forgot where I saw it...if anybody knows of the source please post it, it but the context was that if a certain event occurred and no one was around to witness the event in question then the circumstances of said event could be altered without fear of paradoxes. It kind of sounds like a corrallary (spl?) of the observer effect.

I have yet to see any documentation that explains how the logic problem raised by the experiments that gave rise to the observer effect theory have been resolved. Currently, until the logic problem is resolved, I see no reason to see the observer effect as anything more than a metaphorical illustration of the uncertainty principle.

Regarding time travel: Time travel is possible only when considering time within a specific context ( the computational model ). Most of the sci-fi and pop-science illustrations are IMO as illusory as an Escher staircase and are included more for entertainment purposes than serious consideration.

Back