• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — August 21, 2022

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
The Paracast Newsletter
August 21, 2022
www.theparacast.com

Explorer Bill Kousoulas Reveals the Mystery Behind the Mystery of Mothman, Point Pleasant, West Virginia and the Tragic Collapse of The Silver Bridge on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

THIS IS IMPORTANT SO DON'T MISS OUT! YOU CAN SUPPORT THE PARACAST AND ENJOY THE ULTIMATE PARACAST EXPERIENCE AT A SPECIAL LOW PRICE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an exclusive podcast, After The Paracast, plus an enhanced version of The Paracast with the network ads removed, when you join The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes on your device. Flash! Use the coupon code ufo20 to receive a 20% discount on five-year or lifetime subscriptions. And PayPal now accepts cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, in payment. And if you don't want to use PayPal, we now also offer a second payment option, from Stripe, that accepts major credit or debit cards, Apple Pay and Google Pay. For "qualified users," you can now take advantage of Pay Later options, so act now! For the easiest signup ever, please visit: https://www.theparacast.plus

This Week's Episode: Gene and cohost Tim Swartz present Bill Kousoulas, whose life-long interest in the paranormal began in the late seventies with the original "Project UFO" series that aired on Sunday night television. In 2003, he was introduced to "The Mothman Prophecies" movie, and it truly changed his life. Since then, he has read nearly all of John Keel’s research, as well as the works of related authors including Gray Barker and Andy Colvin. Since 2016, he and his wife Jaci have visited Point Pleasant, West Virginia regularly, and they have become friends with several area residents, including the late Carolin Harris, co-founder of the Mothman Festival. This episode explores not just on the mothman mystery, but the background and culture of Point Pleasant and the details behind the collapse of The Silver Bridge. Bill holds a doctorate in psychology, with a focus on post-traumatic growth. He and Jaci are currently examining the correlations between paranormal experiences and post-traumatic growth.

After The Paracast — Available exclusively for Paracast+ subscribers on August 21: Paranormal explorer Bill Kousoulas rejoins Gene and cohost Tim Swartz to explore more of the mysteries of Point Pleasant, West Virginia and the mothman. Are there conventional explanations for mothman? What about the UFOs also reported in that area back in 1967? Could some or all of them be test aircraft? There’s also a discussion about the late Fortean researcher and best-selling book author, John Keel and his contributions to ongoing research into the mysteries he explored. In 2003, Bill was introduced to “The Mothman Prophecies” movie, and it truly changed his life. Since 2016, he and his wife Jaci have visited Point Pleasant, West Virginia regularly, and they have become friends with several area residents, including the late Carolin Harris, co-founder of the Mothman Festival.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: https://www.theparacast.com/forum/. Visit our new online shop for great branded merchandise at: https://www.theparacast.shop/, and check out our new YouTube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheOfficialParacastChannel

New to The Paracast?
By Gene Steinberg

For over 15 years, I’ve written commentaries for this newsletter, mostly about all-things paranormal. But sometimes I think it’s important to introduce some of our newer listeners to what we’re all about.

I like to think The Paracast tells its own tale, as it’s done for over 16 years. But there are times when things change. The main focus of the show is essentially the same. We explore the world or worlds of the strange and unknown, and we aren’t afraid of asking our guests some hard questions.

This is quite unlike some shows, where the guest pretty much writes the script and controls what questions are asked. And, no, I am not going to mention one show with a huge audience where the guest is often asked to submit a list of proposed questions.

Sure we get lists of that sort too, only my cohosts and I are apt to just ignore them aside from suggestions about general subject matter.

As to The Paracast, I think it got started strictly by accident. It was late 2005, and I was recording an episode of my other show, The Tech Night Owl LIVE. Somewhere along the way in the chatter before an episode was recorded, the topic of UFOs came up.

I felt the same as I did back in 2002, when someone wanted to know if I was willing to join a small online network consisting of radio shows about Apple Inc. I jumped at the possibilities.

The Paracast debuted its first episode on February 28, 2006, with two guests in separate segments. One was an old friend, Jim Moseley, long regarded as the UFO field’s “court jester,” because he could poke fun at the subject as much as he was perfectly serious. The other guest, Brad Steiger, had written dozens of paranormal books since the 1960s.

They would return over the years, but both are sadly no longer with us.

In 2010, we had two big changes. Long-time researcher and author Christopher O’Brien became cohost and, by midyear, we joined a real radio network, GCN.

Being on a network opened The Paracast to hundreds of thousands of potential new listeners as a select number of traditional radio stations picked up the show. But, as with other network radio shows in the U.S., there was one big downside, and that was GCN’s ads, and there were many. It wasn’t something I could change, since I was locked in to a very tight schedule.

At a time where small radio shows have to buy time on radio stations or networks to get airplay, we had a different deal, barter. What this meant was that, in exchange for carrying the show, the network gave us some minutes of advertising back to sell our own advertising.

Thus began an endless quest to line up advertisers and, from time to time, try to find someone with the skills to market the show.

Long and short, the quest continues, and we always invite listeners to try their hand at radio spot sales. It’s a part-time gig, since The Paracast is a relatively small show in the scheme of things, though larger than other shows of its type. If you’re interested, let me know.

Looking for other marketing methods, I had discussions with the powers-that-be at GCN, and they threw us a bone. I could offer a subscription version without the network ads.

Thus came The Paracast+, which debuted in 2014. To sweeten the pot, I presented the ad-free podcast at a higher bit rate, thus better quality audio, probably better than many shows on satellite radio.

To add to the mix, a second show was added, After The Paracast, which debuted a few weeks later.

After The Paracast is open ended, meaning there is no set format or duration, although it’s usually 30-40 minutes, sometimes longer. Unlike a network radio show, there are no language restrictions. The “seven deadly words” banned by the FCC are allowed, although the show usually runs clean of the colorful adjectives.

From time to time, other content has been added. Our staff announcer, Bob Zanotti, hosted and produced a paranormal radio show at a college station in New York back in the 1960s. Known as Coffee Klatsch, it featured some well known figures from the UFO field way back then, such as Gray Barker, Jim Moseley, Ivan T. Sanderson and some of the colorful characters who worked with Jim, such as John J. Robinson.

One of those classic episodes is already available to Paracast+ subscribers, and sound quality is quite good considering it was digitized from analog tape, hiss and all. Other shows are being considered.

You are welcome to join the fun. Subscribing to The Paracast+ is a simple process. You’ll find the signup screens at https://www.theparacast.plus.

We’re also offering a special deal to new subscribers. Use the coupon code ufo20 and you’ll get a 20% discount on five-year and lifetime subscriptions.

And one more thing: Over the years, cohosts have changed. When Christopher O’Brien decided to focus more on his ongoing research into cattle mutilations and other mysteries, in 2018, J. Randall Murphy, a regular forum participant, joined us.

He departed in 2021.

Since then, we have had three rotating guest cohosts, including Curt Collins, a long-time researcher and writer on UFO-related cultural memes, Tim Swartz, a former collaborator with the late Tim Beckley and author of many paranormal books and magazine articles, and our own Bob Zanotti.

In recent months, Tim has handled most of the cohost duties, and thus his status as “guest” has now been changed to, simply, cohost. But the other members of the team will continue to work with us, as we introduce a wider range of different guests to expand our search of the unknown.

In 2019, I gave up the Tech Night Owl LIVE, mostly because the main subject of coverage, Apple Inc., had long left the counter culture and become a mainstream company covered everywhere. There was nothing more for me to say.

But when it comes to The Paracast, the mysteries are eternal. I can’t promise we’ll by there till the last cup and saucer — as Jim Moseley often said — but I’ll do my best to stick around for years to come.

Thanks for listening.

Copyright 1999-2022 The Paracast Company. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back